PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!

Hicks
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
First teaching day at a school that is connected to campus.

4th grade boys = do not listen to what you say; blow you off to goof off.

Extremely frustrating morning. They just do not respect pre-service teachers.

I had a group of 3 today, the boys wanted to keep goofing off or stealing from/hitting each other. At least the third was a girl who was very shy, but on task and did what I asked. I wish I just had her and two clones of her. Yeesh.

I get to work with that group the next two Mondays and Wednesdays too! Yay!

:suicide:

stipo
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I can't even imagine...

Good Luck with all that!

Since86
02-01-2006, 11:27 AM

I had a group of 3 today, the boys wanted to keep goofing off or stealing from/hitting each other. At least the third was a girl who was very shy, but on task and did what I asked. I wish I just had her and two clones of her. Yeesh.

Burris huh?

:laugh: :laugh:

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Back of the hand!

obnoxiousmodesty
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
What grade(s) are you hoping to teach in the future? It sounds like 4th graders aren't your favorite. ;)

Hicks
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I've been told by many that Burris is its own beast; and that most "regular" schools aren't like that. I'm pretty accepting of that statement. A lot of spoiled kids at this school IMO. They're good kids, but they don't have discipline at home, and you know what that leads to with in-class behavior.

Gyron
02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Put them in the "chokey".....They'll listen after that....

And Thats a "Matilda" Reference for those of you that have been subjected to watching that ummm.....Wonderful movie......

Hicks
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
The teacher said to not be afraid to be mean, but I don't know how to do that without being TOO mean. At least that's what I'm afraid of, and I sure as heck am not willing to experiment and hope for the best, because if I go too far... bad things. Baaaaaad things. Hmm. I don't know what to do.

RWB
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
The teacher said to not be afraid to be mean, but I don't know how to do that without being TOO mean. At least that's what I'm afraid of, and I sure as heck am not willing to experiment and hope for the best, because if I go too far... bad things. Baaaaaad things. Hmm. I don't know what to do.

Hicks, secretly whisper in their ear. "Now Johnny, please straighten up, I would hate to hurt your parents..... Good boy".

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 12:23 PM
BACK OF THE HAND!!!!!!!!

Hicks
02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I've contemplating dressing up like I belong in the 80's wrestling Legion of Doom, but I don't think that would quite strike the fear in them that I need. :D

Back of the hand... *sigh* to live in the 1800s. :( ;) :D

Raskolnikov
02-01-2006, 12:44 PM

So you know what has to be done: invent a cloning machine, invent an eliminating machine - those last two not in any particular order: if it suits you better, you can also first invent the eliminating machine and then the cloning machine; however it seems convenient to be able to clone yourself a couple of times so you have some help building the eliminating machine - then eliminate the 2 boys and clone the girl twice.

Good luck with that!

sweabs
02-01-2006, 01:04 PM
4th grade boys: I've never had any real problems (yet, at least).

What works for me? Get them in gym class, then when they ask "Can you dunk???" - and you do it for them, they suddenly worship the ground you walk on, and legitimately ponder if you're better than Michael Jordan :laugh:

Me: 1
Kids: 0

Kat
02-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Decide which behaviors are most problematic. When you're away from the situation, pick a strategy or two to deal with it. Ask for advice from other, more experienced teachers if necessary. That way you won't have to worry so much about improvising something and regretting it later.

McClintic Sphere
02-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Their girl's volleyball program is top-notch.

317Kim
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
4th Grade Boys like to throw paper balls, horse-play, immature, ... wait so do 9th grade boys :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Jose Slaughter
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
wear an Artest jersey for your next class.

pacercoltfan
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
wear an Artest jersey for your next class.
:lmao: :rotflmao: :lolchair: :lol:

MagicRat
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I suggest you read Miss Nelson Is Missing! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395401461/sr=1-1/qid=1138826089/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4949392-2187931?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Harmonica
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I suggest you read Miss Nelson Is Missing! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395401461/sr=1-1/qid=1138826089/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4949392-2187931?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

A review at Amazon.com from a person who also lauded "Stinky Cheeseman and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" :

I am taking a Children's Lit class in college, which requires me to read a lot of children's books. So, this is a great excuse for me to write more reviews. If you want to make fun of me for liking these books, so be it. I could care less.

"Miss Nelson is Missing" was always a childhood favorite for me. One of my first picture books I ever read, I think. I even remember that my copy came with a record that you could listen along to as you read. Wow, does that bring back memories. I picked this up a few days ago, and found myself enjoying it as much as I did when I was little, if not more.

This is a book about a sweet and nice teacher who has one of the most terrible classes ever. Everyone is mean and nobody ever listens to her. Miss Nelson knows that something has to be done.

One day, when she doesn't arrive to class, the children are so happy. They think they have driven her away forever. They are all smiles and grins.....until....

They meet Miss. Viola Swamp, an ugly and mean teacher dressed in black and white makeup. She puts them to work, yells at them, and makes them do tons and TONS of homework. Desperate and worried, the children turn to a detective in order to solve the whereabouts of Miss Nelson.

This book is incredible. Fun for all ages, especially the young ones. It's fun and gives a good moral lesson at the same time. It has great writing and very cool pictures. The reading level is pretty easy. Nothing too mind-bending behind it.

Stryder
02-01-2006, 06:42 PM
A quick clothesline and powerbomb does wonders to a child's behavior...

317Kim
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/artest_250_060127.jpg

If you where that, they'd be pretty scared.

SycamoreKen
02-02-2006, 12:17 AM

Welcome to my world my friend. Wait until you have 10 or more of them and have to get them ready to take that stupid test.(You know the one, every state has theirs.) I would trade all of my boys for a class full of girls. But, you'll be very happy later on that you have had these chances when you have a class of your own.

Arcadian
02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
It's normal having trouble with kids and getting them to listen to you. Everyone figures it out though. You learn your toleration levels as to what needs to be stopped and how to be firm/mean.

I went through it and every other teacher has as well.

Believe_in_blue
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
4th Grade Boys like to throw paper balls, horse-play, immature, ... wait so do 9th grade boys :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

LOL I'm in my second year of college, and i still do those things:D

317Kim
02-03-2006, 06:22 AM
:laugh: So I guess I might as well get used to it huh? :-p

SamBear
02-06-2006, 11:56 PM
awwww poor Hicks... :)

Lord Helmet
02-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Teachers always said they wished they had a class full of me.

:cool:

Raskolnikov
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
4th grade boys: I've never had any real problems (yet, at least).

What works for me? Get them in gym class, then when they ask "Can you dunk???" - and you do it for them, they suddenly worship the ground you walk on, and legitimately ponder if you're better than Michael Jordan :laugh:

Me: 1
Kids: 0
You can dunk? :impressed:

How tall are you?

sweabs
03-24-2006, 01:25 PM
You can dunk? :impressed:

How tall are you?

6'4.

And that's still the best way to get 4th grade boys to respect you :laugh:

Vicious Tyrant
03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Careful Hicks, you're kind of an internet celebrity in certain circles.

You don't want to get dooced.

Vicious Tyrant
03-24-2006, 02:45 PM
and btw, this is the normal learning curve. As much as you're able, don't sweat it. You'll figure out ways to get their attention. In the long run, they're no match for you.

Since86
03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
6'4.

And that's still the best way to get 4th grade boys to respect you :laugh:

Yeah, well I'm only 6'0" and can dunk. :champions

Vicious Tyrant
03-24-2006, 03:08 PM
When I was in college and could dunk, I saw Danny Manning (U of Kansas) do this really cool-looking dunk where he kind of crossed his legs while dunking. It looked so cool, I thought I'd try it out in the middle of an intra mural game.

The lesson I learned is to try things when you are alone in the gym and no one can see you. I realized halfway into the air that you should cross your legs AFTER you jump, otherwise you just trip yourself and do a very painful, embarrassing sprawl-y kind of thing that doesn't look cool.

[/hijack]

Hicks
03-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Careful Hicks, you're kind of an internet celebrity in certain circles.

You don't want to get dooced.

Dooced?

Hicks
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
and btw, this is the normal learning curve. As much as you're able, don't sweat it. You'll figure out ways to get their attention. In the long run, they're no match for you.

Thanks.

It's already gotten a lot better. That was my first day, and I've since spent many other times working with students, including 8 more times in that class, 4 with 3rd graders at another school, and 3 (as of a few hours ago) with the 4th grade class next door to the one I was in for my first post (ironically; one of my group of 4 there is one of the boys I was ranting about to start the thread). Today was a great day.

McClintic Sphere
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
When I was in college and could dunk, I saw Danny Manning (U of Kansas) do this really cool-looking dunk where he kind of crossed his legs while dunking. It looked so cool, I thought I'd try it out in the middle of an intra mural game.

The lesson I learned is to try things when you are alone in the gym and no one can see you. I realized halfway into the air that you should cross your legs AFTER you jump, otherwise you just trip yourself and do a very painful, embarrassing sprawl-y kind of thing that doesn't look cool.

[/hijack]

Ahhh, Intramural hoops. Really the only reason to attend college. Elvis Lives! was a legendary team.

heywoode
03-24-2006, 04:01 PM

...and you're humble....

sweabs
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
...and you're humble....

Yeah, but what he didn't tell you is that he has to use his neighbour's hoop.......

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/72408_b_2.jpg

:devil:

By the way - dunking at 6'0 is impressive. My buddy is also 6'0 and just started throwing them down this year after working on his vertical all last summer. I know he enjoys showing off to the kids taller than him who can't dunk, and sends them home with their head hanging in shame :laugh:

heywoode
03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but what he didn't tell you is that he has to use his neighbour's hoop.......

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/72408_b_2.jpg

:devil:

By the way - dunking at 6'0 is impressive. My buddy is also 6'0 and just started throwing them down this year after working on his vertical all last summer. I know he enjoys showing off to the kids taller than him who can't dunk, and sends them home with their head hanging in shame :laugh:

I also should've noted that it is impressive, and added a :-p to let him know that I was just being a smart-***, not being mean!!

Since86
03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
I also should've noted that it is impressive, and added a :-p to let him know that I was just being a smart-***, not being mean!!

My mother loves me all the same, so you can be a smart-*** all you want. :cry:

And your just jealous that I stole your rim rc......

Vicious Tyrant
03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Dooced?
Its the name of the new blog the nanny who got fired due to her blog (Instructions to the Double). It was a minor newstory a while back. The word "Dooce" kind of turned into a net slang word for losing your job due to writing about work on the internet and your employer finds out.

www.dooce.com

http://news.com.com/To+her+fans,+Dooce+is+wild/2100-1025_3-6049269.html

heywoode
03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
My mother loves me all the same, so you can be a smart-*** all you want. :cry:

Dude, she loves everybody like that....

(Now I'm being mean! :buttkick: ) :D

Since86
03-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Dude, she loves everybody like that....

(Now I'm being mean! :buttkick: ) :D

Your right, she's just like Barney and believes everyone is special.

(Desperately trying to right the ship)

Raskolnikov
03-24-2006, 09:43 PM
That's truly impressive.

I'm about Fred Jones' height and I can't get anywhere near dunking the basketball.

And oh yeah, I'm pretty drunk right now.

OhMyGodHeFumbles
03-24-2006, 10:39 PM
How do i improve my vertical?

If you know, tell me koz i wanna improve it.

Shade
03-24-2006, 10:47 PM
How do i improve my vertical?

If you know, tell me koz i wanna improve it.

Ditto, I wanna know too.

I'm 6'3" and can "cheat dunk." Meaning, I can get the rim, but kinda have to throw the ball in. Of course, I have bad knees too, but I should still be able to get in the air higher than that.

Since86
03-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Do calf raises, get jump shoes, get on a jumping program.

Work out your legs in general.

Change your genetics.

btowncolt
03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Do calf raises, get jump shoes, get on a jumping program.

Work out your legs in general.

Change your genetics.

Negative. Do not attempt.

Breaking the glass on the microwave and standing in front of it for a week does not, I repeat, does not allow you to jump higher.

Since86
03-27-2006, 01:31 PM

Breaking the glass on the microwave and standing in front of it for a week does not, I repeat, does not allow you to jump higher.

Did you try sitting in it?

Raskolnikov
03-27-2006, 01:44 PM

:disappoin