PDA

View Full Version : Why is it after some losses

Southside_Pacer
04-04-2004, 11:42 PM
That everybody freaks out and thinks that the Pacers world is coming to an end? Did we not win the Central Division? Did we not win the Eastern Conference during the regular season? Do we not currently have the best overall record in the NBA?

Did we not beat Detroit three times this season? Haven't we been more consistant than the Pistons were all season? Are there any reasons why you think that the Pacers can't/won't bounce back and beat the Knicks?

We were not 100% at all today. JO is not 100%, Tinsley was out, JB is on the injured list and they are three key players to what we do. Despite playing like crap for three quarters and missing a lot of open shots we were still in the game going into the fourth quarter.

I don't know if anybody's noticed or not, but the Pacers play pretty good defense.......and when everybody is healthy for the Pacers we can put the ball in the basket.

But to say that we're now suddenly going to lose in the playoffs because we lost a regular season game to the Pistons, JUST ONE GAME IN THE REGULAR SEASON, is a little bit much I think.

Newsflash: THE EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS HAVE NOT STARTED YET, AND CURRENTLY NEITHER THE PACERS NOR THE PISTONS HAVE MADE IT THERE.

Unclebuck
04-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I know I am not "freaking out"

Did not expect the Pacers to win today.

But I was very interested to see the matchups and how the game was played, and if you can't see some troubling signs, not sure what to tell you.

Playoffs are a different story, but the Pistons style and talent defensively will give the pacers a lot of trouble. Pacers lack offensive players who can just make basketball plays, and that is what you need to conteract that type of defense.

Southside_Pacer
04-04-2004, 11:55 PM
I wasn't talking about you. You're one of the most level headed people here which is a good thing.

No, we did not play all that well. But Detroit wasn't exactly an offensive machine in this game either. There's definate things that the Pacers can work on and I'm sure Rick knows exactly what those areas are.

But I don't see any way for the Pacers to look that bad on the offensive end for a series. We had looks, yet the shots just weren't going in the hole.

Some people just equate this loss to the sky falling on the season. Both teams still have to win in the playoffs.

beast23
04-04-2004, 11:58 PM
I know I am not "freaking out"

Did not expect the Pacers to win today.

But I was very interested to see the matchups and how the game was played, and if you can't see some troubling signs, not sure what to tell you.

Playoffs are a different story, but the Pistons style and talent defensively will give the pacers a lot of trouble. Pacers lack offensive players who can just make basketball plays, and that is what you need to conteract that type of defense.Agreed. I didn't expect a victory, but I expected a tighter, better contested, game.

Southside Pacer, it's important to remember one thing. Success in the playoffs is often experienced by the team that's on a roll leading up to the playoffs.

Right now, the post-trade Pistons are on a roll, playing much better than they have all year. We are steady, keeping pace with what we have accomplished all year.

A 7-game Pacer-Pistons series would be an absolute war. If it boils down to that, hopefully the winner will still have enough left in the tank to play their best against the WC champion.

Southside_Pacer
04-05-2004, 12:04 AM
It would be a war. But sometimes people tend to forget that the Pacers have been really, really solid after the All Star game as well.

We still have yet to lose three straight games all season, and I highly doubt that we will. That means we have been winning games ourselves.

It just seems to be that we, at this site, sell ourselves short on what exactly this team has done.

When the Nets were on their winning streak everybody was freaking out that they'd pass us, and be the #1 seed in the East. They went back down to reality, struggled, and the Pacers kept being consistant.

When the Pistons had their long winning streak earlier in the year, we were the ones who knocked them off.

We've been very consistant all year, and we've won in a variety of ways and we know that we'll have players step up when the time calls for it. If both teams manage to get to the Conference Finals, it will be a great series. But this one loss to the Pistons still will not make me feel any less confident about our chances to succeed in the "second season."

TheSauceMaster
04-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Well maybe I am just crazy but I am just being Honest in saying yes we beat this team 3 times this season but like rick and alot of the players said today this isn't the same Pistons team they played 3 previous times .

I do think today's loss is good motivation for the pacers if they meet the pistons in the playoffs and I am positive we learned alot today and Rick will have us playing our A game next time

Southside_Pacer
04-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Well maybe I am just crazy but I am just being Honest in saying yes we beat this team 3 times this season but like rick and alot of the players said today this isn't the same Pistons team they played 3 previous times .

I do think today's loss is good motivation for the pacers if they meet the pistons in the playoffs and I am positive we learned alot today and Rick will have us playing our A game next time

I do agree that we did learn quite a bit today. Which is very good mentally for the Pacers. Nothing makes you want to win more than experiencing a loss.

We all knew that the Pistons were more mentally and physically into this ballgame than we were going to be. However neither team is in the Eastern Conference finals yet. If we do get there, and if they do get there, I'm sure we'll have all our parts so we'll get a true read on how each team does. :cool:

TheSauceMaster
04-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Well I think we played rather well first quarter , it wasn't perfect but if we could have maintained that level of play I think it would have been a easier loss to swallow. I think in General as Pacers Fans we are spoiled this year , were not used to losing and sometimes in the heat of the moment fans get antsy, I know sometimes I get critical but that's just the fan geek in me and I really want to see the Pacers Make it to the Bigtime .

:pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance:

able
04-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Hmm i hoped for a win, expected a loss and told even Kstat upfront it would mean less to us then to them.

What i saw were 3 quarters of close basketball, defensively of another planet, but to not add to this the enormous amount of open shots the Pacers missed is an ommission we can not afford.

The Pacers were in this game despite pathetic shooting, missing one after another open shot, not the heavily contested ones, I can understand missing those, I am only pointing to the open ones and there were quite a few.

To not take into consideration that our starting PG who creates a hell of a lot of more open chances and even inside chances was not there either would again be silly.

Add those two together and you get a whole different picture.

They were complete, motivated and ready.
We were motivated, but not ready and certainly not complete.

Why did JO shoot poorly? if his knee is bothering him then his elevation is not good, hence his shot will be off, however how many passes inside for JO did you see this game? I saw ONE bouncepass that was intercepted and that was it.
Kenny went for the "safe" pass on the perimeter time and time again, JO had to go get the ball on the perimeter and simply lacked the energy or mobility to go inside.

Even without Tins we played decent defense, until 57 -51 when we threw the towel.

Did we learn? yes we need our A game, but let's face it, we knew that already. We kept W&W mostly out of the game and let them play their game without getting killed.

It would be an interesting match-up if we both make it to the ECF, but their route is harder then ours, and if they get there I am sure we will be ready for them, barring injuries like yesterday.

BillS
04-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Playoffs are a different story, but the Pistons style and talent defensively will give the pacers a lot of trouble. Pacers lack offensive players who can just make basketball plays, and that is what you need to conteract that type of defense.

This is exactly why I have grave concerns.

Having been in the "Sunshine Brigade" for many years, it's interesting to be perceived as being on the "dark side" now ...

But.

This is not the first game this season where our offense has failed to show up to hit open looks.

This is not the same Pistons team that we beat 3 times, and we set ourselves up for a fall if we think that yeaterday was just a fluke.

We haven't lost 3 times in a row, but folks, we haven't played teams this good three games in a row.

I would have to say that of all the teams we have played this year, Detroit right now is the best. And that includes the Lakers and the Kings and the Hornets, because none of them stop us from playing our game - when we play them, we only have to stop them from getting into theirs. This incarnation of the Pistons is the ONLY team I've watched us play where I felt like they were completely capable of shutting us down (as little as that takes to do given our erratic offense) and were focused on doing so.

Don't try to tell me that any previous record has anything to do with how well we would play Detroit in the playoffs. It is literally the New Season now (well, 5 games from now), and the slate is clean.

As I said below, tell me something good we can build on from this game - and Uncle Buck is the man to do it - and maybe I won't feel so disappointed, but for right now - for the first time this season - I feel beaten.

Unclebuck
04-05-2004, 09:42 AM
BillS, the Pistons have the same problems the Pacers do on offense maybe even to a greater degree. They have very few players who can create a shot out of nothing. Hamilton needs picks (he is pretty good one-on-one sometimes) But Artest has taken Prince out of the game. Billups can explode and he can hit clutch threes but he is streaky, Sheed is not the type of an offensive player that can just completely take over.

So one good thing is the Pistons aren't going to be able to score too well on the Pacers either. We are not talking about a healthy Laker team offensively here.

ChicagoJ
04-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Having been in the "Sunshine Brigade" for many years, it's interesting to be perceived as being on the "dark side" now ...

Welcome to the dark side. :devil: :hug:

Actually, I'm not too worried about yesterday's game. Tinsley didn't play. He may not be the greatest PG on the planet, but he's a true PG and he's a very, very important part of the Pacers.

And its almost impossible to sweep a divisional opponenent - especially one that's going to finish with north of 50 victories.

I can't wait to meet them with everybody healthy. I can't wait to watch Rick and Larry work thier between-game magic. I predict at least one game in which the losing team scores at least 98 points, and one game where the winning team has 73 points! And I can't wait to watch two of the best clutch players in the game today (JO and Chauncey) try to lift thier teams to victory in some huge games.

Its not a sure thing that we can beat them. Homecourt advantage will be important, but each team might also lose two home games (similar to some of those old Pacers/Knicks wars where we might have had a better winning % in MSG than MSA.) :o

:pepper:

DisplacedKnick
04-05-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure where to put this post so I'll do it here.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Pacers & Pistons in the ECF. I think both teams have some real strengths and each team has some exploitable weaknesses.

From a brief standpoint, I think Indy has the edge overall with the starting lineups mainly because of more post scoring. Rasheed can be an excellent post scorer but he hasn't been for the last 3 years and it doesn't look like that'll change.

The Artest-Prince matchup is very strong in favor of the Pacers while the Hamilton-Miller matchup favors Detroit.

The problem is with the benches. Indy just doesn't have the bench that Detroit does. The only Pacer who I'd call a real impact player is Harrington. All of the other reserves are just guys you put in to give your starters a rest (though occasionally Croshere does more than that).

The Pistons have Williamson, Okur and Campbell who can all have a big impact on games - and also supply some post scoring.

It would have been huge for Tinsley to have played yesterday. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game - I have no idea. But it would have given him a chance to experience what Detroit will throw at him in the playoffs and allow him to work on some things like splitting doubleteams, quick passes ahead to make them pay for pressure at halfcourt, etc. That kind of defensive pressure doesn't come around too often and you need to get as much PT against it as you can.

This should be a very, very tough, physical, entertaining series - I hope both teams get there. They should.

Unclebuck
04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
What if the Nets beat the Pistons. :o :o :o

DisplacedKnick
04-05-2004, 01:07 PM

I'd be shocked.

If they do, I'd be equally shocked to see them get past the Pacers.

Heck, if Kidd & Martin aren't 100% they may not get past the 1st rd.

PistonsDynasty
04-05-2004, 06:01 PM

It goes both ways. What if the Pacers lose to the Celtics again? :o :o :o

But let's keep it real. It's going to be the Pacers vs. Pistons ECF.