PDA

View Full Version : You can't have it both ways people.

Pig Nash
01-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Is there anybody on this forum who honestly believe we can get to the Finals? ECF? out of the first round?

Didn't think so. Ok, if that is the case then why are so many of you *****ing about losing games? We obviously have a lot of talent and one of the better drafting GMs. There is p-word for us to be very good again very soon. By not doing very well this season, we help ourselves for the future.

We need to retool this team and while I like a lot of our players (Granger /DH/JO/Tins/Peja (hey there's a starting lineup!)) We need to make sure the talent fits this time. I don't see why winning half of the rest of our games is a priority. This should be a season for Granger and Harrison to get acclaimated and to assess the future plans for Peja and Freddie.

Stephen Jackson is Stephen Jackson, he'll have nights like this but then he'll keep pace with Kobe for three quarters. I don't have a problem with him, all players go through shooting slumps. But this isn't about him, it's about the future. I, for one, am damn tired of being perennial playoff pretenders. If we're going to rebuild, do it now. We have some good pieces, and the potential to get one more. Why screw it up by winning ten more games?

And I'm not saying we should just throw games, but I do advocate taking a look at the big picture.

larry
01-31-2006, 11:43 PM
You actually like Tins... still?!?

Pig Nash
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
He's a good player; I do hate that he's always injured, but maybe by the grace of god, he'll stay healthy one of these years.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Everyone at the summer forum party laughed when I said we'd lose in the first round! Laughed!

SoupIsGood
01-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Everyone at the summer forum party laughed when I said we'd lose in the first round! Laughed!

Now we all just hate you! :):-p

SoThenRobbieSaid
01-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh..the Jamaal debate. I hope he makes the All-Star team next year; he's more than capable. Regarding the injuries, these aren't just rolled ankles, guys. It's unfortunate, yes, and equally frustrating, but I don't feel our management would stick with him if they felt he would not be able to get the job done.

I'm with this team, whomever they put on the floor.

Suaveness
02-01-2006, 12:01 AM

I'd laugh too. Because we aren't even going to make the playoffs. We have risen above the crappiness of the East and taken our nonexistant basketball skills to a new level of retardedness.

heywoode
02-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Oh..the Jamaal debate. I hope he makes the All-Star team next year; he's more than capable. Regarding the injuries, these aren't just rolled ankles, guys. It's unfortunate, yes, and equally frustrating, but I don't feel our management would stick with him if they felt he would not be able to get the job done.

I'm with this team, whomever they put on the floor.

Why not? They stuck with Bender and even gave him an extension!

Can we EVER learn a lesson???? And by "we" I mean the Pacers....mostly.

heywoode
02-01-2006, 12:11 AM

So, Nostradamus, what are this week's PowerBall numbers?? :-p

Nobody could've predicted what has happened to this team this year, but I applaud you for having sense enough back then to know that SOMETHING was gonna get these guys...a delinquent tax return, a low flying traffic copter, SOMETHING....

Our suckholeness is our destiny. :cry: :banghead:

Pig Nash
02-01-2006, 12:43 AM
So no one disagrees? Everything I say is true? Where is Doug_in_OH when you need him?

Kamiyohk
02-01-2006, 01:05 AM
so....why don't we just give up now and trade all player who haven't future to the picks?

rexnom
02-01-2006, 01:11 AM
I disagree partially. While I do like our core I think it's very important for us to win games for morale. No further explanation there except for that I think the players need it to feel good. Also, playoff experience is always good for the young guys. It would be nice to see too how Danny can handle himself in the playoffs and if Saras really is better under pressure. Also, don't you think we'll have a better shot at resigning Peja if we prove to him we are better than the Bulls for example? I would much rather have him resign than demand a sign-and-trade to Miami at the end of the season.

Playoffs always build character in my opinion. You know why I still like Dwyane Wade over LeBron in the fourth quarter? Because Wade has been in the playoffs before and shown he loves pressure and has stepped it up. Like was mentioned recently in a Bill Simmons article, LeBron has been seen chewing on his fingernails in the clutch. He'll get to Wade's level but Dwyane wealth of playoff experience by only his third season is second to few established NBA players and makes him a better player. Also, I would much rather have a first round and out with the 14th pick than no playoffs and the 13th pick. Remember the draft when we got Freddie at 14? You know who went 13? Marcus Haislip...to the Bucks.

Doug in CO
02-01-2006, 01:13 AM
So no one disagrees? Everything I say is true? Where is Doug_in_OH when you need him?

What do you want me to say - I assumed that playoffs were out of reach when JO went down and being the cynic I was - wondered when we knew he was down and whether TPTB kept it to themselves until AFTER the trade was done. Why? Because at that point the Maggette trade or a trade with GS made more sense. But fine - they liked who they liked... we move on. I just wonder if the Pacers PR machine was in motion.

At this point the season is over - the rest of the games are a formality and development time for whatever potential players we have. Granger/Saras/Harrison to a lesser degree.

What are we doing with Fred Jones? If we are not going to sign him - trade him for a pick. This year is over - let's move on and hope that we can make the moves this summer to get back in contention. Shaq is getting older - the Pistons will not be great forever... we move on.

Finally - I honestly think that on the court Stephen Jackson is a bigger cancer than Artest ever was. Off the court may be a different matter - but I do not care what we get for this jerk off - just get rid of him.

Kamiyohk
02-01-2006, 01:20 AM
I disagree too
we are rebuilding.But not a loser.
Even atlanta,the are trying to win more games as possible as they can.i can't see the reason why we should give up .
Rebuild the team need to take sometimes.Just don't worry man...the day can not coming too fast,but still working.

Will Galen
02-01-2006, 02:10 AM
He's a good player; I do hate that he's always injured, but maybe by the grace of god, he'll stay healthy one of these years.

Ahhhh, a solution!

Anthem
02-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Didn't think so. Ok, if that is the case then why are so many of you *****ing about losing games? We obviously have a lot of talent and one of the better drafting GMs. There is p-word for us to be very good again very soon. By not doing very well this season, we help ourselves for the future.
If we're looking for the future, then why'd we trade Ron for a rental?

able
02-01-2006, 06:11 AM
It has become utterly clear that Pedja is not a rental, LB wanted him for years and he will be re-signed here,there is no doubt whatsoever.

The only "nagging" thought is that it might come at the cost of Fred.

If they get rid of Tinsley, which I personally think would be utterly stupid, then count on a new starting PG, at a high cost and most certainly no Fred.

Jax, as long as he brings in the next load of peanutbutter and marmelade for breakfast I think it would be a great trade.

It makes me think back two years, when Jax came here, a lot of posters where as high on him as on Saras this year, just a few had their "misgivings" but they were laughed of the board.
Same after the brawl when I among others said that Jax had a far more devastating role in it then Ron.

This year shows Jax in all his glory, sulking, not defending, nad hoisting up another shot out of offense.
You have to be really nad if even Slick says it's better to bench you for a while, in the hope you "might get it"

hoopsforlife
02-01-2006, 06:52 AM

Personally, after they permanently benched Ron, I didn't even expect to make the playoffs this year.

At least the Kings won. :(

Unclebuck
02-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm sure this is one of about 50 posts I'll be making saying the same thing. It is very important to make the playoffs. Nothing is more valuable for young players than playoff experience, so even if we do lose in the first round it is good for Granger, Harrison, and Saras to get playoff experience.

Black Sox
02-01-2006, 09:15 AM
We will make the playoffs. The team has hit a downfall but they can turn it around. All we need to do is trad Jackson and nevery let Harrison play. Harrison is horrific to watch. As long as the team doesn't have to play Detroit in the first round they will be ok.

heywoode
02-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm sure this is one of about 50 posts I'll be making saying the same thing. It is very important to make the playoffs. Nothing is more valuable for young players than playoff experience, so even if we do lose in the first round it is good for Granger, Harrison, and Saras to get playoff experience.

I agree with this 100%.

No way a team of mine tanks a season to move up in the draft and misses the playoffs. I would choose craping in as the 8th seed any day. How many years in a row is it for us? 12? That MEANS something!!

J_2_Da_IzzO
02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I honestly believe we can get into the finals of the eastern conference let alone the first round.

When Jermaine gets back I feel that him and Peja will work very well and Granger is improving rapidly whilst Harrison is getting good minutes. We can be a real threat.

Saranus will be starting PG because Tinsley will be injured for playoffs and Fred will be our spark off the bench. Jackson will be the 3rd scoring option.

I think it is very unlikely that we can beat Detroit if we do make playoffs but in a 7 game series Im confident we can bear any other team in the east.

ChicagoJ
02-01-2006, 11:09 AM

We agree on two things.

With a healthy JO and Tinsley, they could also get some valuable second round experience, too.

Pig Nash
02-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with this 100%.

No way a team of mine tanks a season to move up in the draft and misses the playoffs. I would choose craping in as the 8th seed any day. How many years in a row is it for us? 12? That MEANS something!!

Yeah it means that we never get any superstars because there aren't any left by the time we draft.