PDA

View Full Version : My post-game recap from center court:

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
We're pretty bad right now. And no system change or personel tweak is going to make us any better.

Maybe I'll add more later. Maybe I won't. That pretty well covers it right now.

Fire away with questions. That might be more fun than posting what I saw.

EDIT- Actual semblance of a poor attempt at a recap below.

Doug
01-31-2006, 11:07 PM
How many times did you scream "box out!" at the Pacers?

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:08 PM
How many times did you scream "box out!" at the Pacers?

I was too sad to even yell.

I did throw in a "At least we won 61 games two years ago" for Unclebuck when we got down 65-80.

Doug
01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Follow up question:

Could you hear me screaming "box out!" at the TV?

If so, I apologize for the swearing.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Follow up question:

Could you hear me screaming "box out!" at the TV?

If so, I apologize for the swearing.

I might have been able to over the ghastly din of the 7,500 people there.

The ONLY time the entire night that anyone cheered or stood up is when a gentleman hit a 3 pointer after the 3rd quarter to get everyone a free Papa John's pizza.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Fine, I'll do better.

Give me 10 minutes.

Jermaniac
01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
lmao Btown, that is the only time the Warriors arena cheers too.

Bball
01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Fire away with questions.

What would you do to put the world on track for global peace?

-Bball

Kstat
01-31-2006, 11:32 PM

Are you a communist?

MagicRat
01-31-2006, 11:33 PM

Why was your date so angry?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/btown.jpg

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Arrived at the game shortly before the national anthem. Knowing what I was in store for, I took advantage of the wonderful "Happy Hour" special they had going and stocked up on food supplies. 15 dollars, 1 small personal pizza, and one large beer later, I was set to find my seat.

I aimlessly wandered the concourse, looking for that one special section that not only said "You sit here btown" on it, but just so happened to conrrespond to the number on my ticket. My date (and I use the term liberally, as my large male friend probably finds the idea of a jaunt between the sheets just as appealing as I do) and I found our way to our seats. As we made our way down to the row, we noticed that a very sizable man had managed to find a way to occupy not only our two seats, but the one he was supposed to be sitting in. After a brief confrontation, he moved over to his seat, and we took a couple seats a little bit down, so as to not get absorbed into his orbit.

Time for the starting line-ups! We sat expectantly, waiting to discuss how our starters would play against Washington's starters. Then, at the same time, we looked down and noticed there were more people in suits on the bench than in uniforms. We knew, deep down, that it was over at that point. Instead of strategy, the conversation quickly turned to dietary needs and the likelihood that either of us would talk to the woman in the tight jeans without getting pepper-sprayed. The odds weren't good.

Watching AJ, SJ, Peja, Croshere, and Harrison take the court to start a game is rather unappetizing. There's no size. There's no interior defense. There's no scoring. And there's very little foot speed. Other than, though, it's a pretty solid foundation for success in any game.

All 4 quarters seemed to flow pretty much the same. The Wizards would run off 12 points, we'd respond with 7. That doesn't work all that well for 48 minutes.

A few players stood out for good reasons. It's the first time I'd seen Granger in person, and I'm now convinced more than ever that he can never play the 4. But he's a guy that could make a starting SF for a decade. I liked his game, even if you can tell he's still a rookie feeling his way around.

Fred had a nice little pull-up midrange jumper going. It was good to see that again from someone.

It's nice having someone who's automatic from the line again with Peja. Reggie hasn't been gone long, but I had missed that little often overlooked element.

Really though, no one deserves praise for that performance. They just didn't have anything tonight. Neither did the Wizards, but they were playing at home in front of their, uh...., rabid fans and just played well enough to win.

We don't have any players capable of producing offense. No system change is going to make that any better. We don't have the talent, chemistry, or personel to become some run and gun team. Even though we missed shots tonight, I did like some of the plays they were running for Peja. He looked uncomfortable and confused, but that's to be expected at this point.

We're going to win games where Peja and SJ get hot. That's the only way. There' really no other part of our team that's good enough to beat any other team in another capacity. That might happen 1 out of every 3 games, but it's not going to happen too frequently. We need JO. We need Foster. We need some stability at the point guard position. We need to make some moves, but who on our team really has any value? Besides the guys we likely shouldn't trade, like Granger and Harrison (who was particularly inimpactive [thanks Jay] tonight).

This team is going to need time and patience, but even that probably won't be enough this year.

I left with about 4 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. The Pacers were down 15, I wanted to get on the Metro before the crowd did, and I was afraid the gentleman to my right might explode from a combination of nachos, brauts, and personal angst over the lacks of technicals called on the Pacers (dunno what to tell you about that one, he may have double-fisted a few too many beers).

It was worth the trip. But I hope to see a better Pacer team at the game on March 2nd.

Oh, and I didn't get mugged on the way home. But someone gave me the goggley-eyes, so I cowered in my seat for two stops until he got off.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
What would you do to put the world on track for global peace?

-Bball

Give everyone Papa John's coupons good for only 12 hours.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Are you a communist?

Sometimes that's my safety word.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Why was your date so angry?

I'm a hard man to love.

Oh, and I'm a ringer for "doofus", but not that kind of doofus. I wouldn't wear a Pacers jersey for any reason. Good effort, nonetheless.

sixthman
02-01-2006, 12:05 AM
lol. That was Doofus without the teeth, wasn't it?

Will Galen
02-01-2006, 03:58 AM
It's nice having someone who's automatic from the line again with Peja. Reggie hasn't been gone long, but I had missed that little often overlooked element.

That makes no sense to me at all!

One, Peja was 8 of 10 from the line, which is a bad shooting night from the line for him, thus hardly automatic. Both his career average and this seasons average are higher than tonights .800 percentage.

Two, as for missing that over looked element, it's apparent you've not been paying attention. Both Croshere and Jesikevious have higher free throw averages this year than Reggie's .988 career average. And in Sarunas' case, since he's a rookie, his career average is higher than Reggie's.

Hicks
02-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Both Croshere and Jesikevious have higher free throw averages this year than Reggie's .988 career average.

That makes no sense to me at all! :D

owl
02-01-2006, 07:51 AM
9 and 30 the rest of the way is what I predict. That would put the Pacers
at 30 and 52 for the season and around 7 to 8 in the lottery. Of course
they could beat the odds and get a top 3 pick. Even then this is a weak
draft and 2007 is where the real talent is at.

owl

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 08:07 AM
That makes no sense to me at all!

One, Peja was 8 of 10 from the line, which is a bad shooting night from the line for him, thus hardly automatic. Both his career average and this seasons average are higher than tonights .800 percentage.

Two, as for missing that over looked element, it's apparent you've not been paying attention. Both Croshere and Jesikevious have higher free throw averages this year than Reggie's .988 career average. And in Sarunas' case, since he's a rookie, his career average is higher than Reggie's.

Croshere and Sarunas aren't exactly high volume free throw shooters (and historically, neither is Peja, but he was with the plays we ran for him last night and will have to continue to run for him if we want to score more than 50 points per game).

I didn't say Peja was perfect from the line last night. And it's not like it would have mattered. But he's been one of the best free throw shooters in the NBA, and a guy who's been able to score over 20 points per game in a season more than once, so you can count on him for consistent point production, and he knows how to put the ball in the hoop. He's a 3 time All-Star who's a consistent scorer, shooter, and point producer who's name you can call at the end of a game (unless it's the playoffs). Can't say any of that about Croshere or Sarunas (yet, hopefully).

I'm not stupid. I'm fairly aware of all the stats you quoted. Stats aren't everything in the NBA. .988 is a pretty impressive free throw percentage, though. :tongue:

owl
02-01-2006, 08:12 AM
JJ Reddick

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11144

Shelden Williams

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11146

Rajon Rondo

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22099

Scoring, rebounding and shot blocking and speed at the guard spot.

Any of these 3 would really help this team. If I HAD my choice I would
rank them as following and what this team needs.

1-JJ Reddck
2-Shelden Williams
3-Rajon Rondo

However any of these three are sorely needed.

owl

Unclebuck
02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Peja gets to the line a decent amout of times, not as much as Reggie, but more tha Cro or Saras.

Great recap Btown

Hicks
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I watched the game on DVR before I went to bed, and I was very encouraged to see Peja draw so many fouls. If we can make that a regular thing, that's a great start for him.

FrenchConnection
02-01-2006, 12:19 PM
The Kings lose their first game with Ron and their fans are encouraged. They then proceed to lose to Toronto and their fans are even happier. We lose our first game with a new player in which we have almost the entire team out and we think that the world has come to an end. It will take some time people. This is why teams are loath to make mid-season trades; it takes time to make the pieces fit. Also, we would have won that game last night if Jeff had played or if everyone favorite player DH (who, BTW, I strongly dislike as a player--has hands like two meat cleavers with with he could not catch a sharp entry pass if his life depended on it and then even if he did he could not finish but only complain when he did not get a call that he will never get if he keeps yelling at the ref all night) could just stay on the court and out of foul trouble. I am not the biggest Jeff fan, but a few additional rebounds would have made a huge difference IMO. Also, Peja will begin to hit open shots; he was visably nervous out there. He played his entire career on one team in one system.

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
The Kings lose their first game with Ron and their fans are encouraged. They then proceed to lose to Toronto and their fans are even happier. We lose our first game with a new player in which we have almost the entire team out and we think that the world has come to an end. It will take some time people. This is why teams are loath to make mid-season trades; it takes time to make the pieces fit. Also, we would have won that game last night if Jeff had played or if everyone favorite player DH could just stay on the court and out of foul trouble. I am not the biggest Jeff fan, but a few additional rebounds would have made a huge difference IMO. Also, Peja will begin to hit open shots; he was visably nervous out there. He played his entire career on one team in one system.

Please show me where someone in here thinks the world is coming to an end.

I said the same thing you did. This team needs time. And healthy bodies.

FrenchConnection
02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Please show me where someone in here thinks the world is coming to an end.

I said the same thing you did. This team needs time. And healthy bodies.

9 and 30 the rest of the way is what I predict. That would put the Pacers
at 30 and 52 for the season and around 7 to 8 in the lottery. Of course
they could beat the odds and get a top 3 pick. Even then this is a weak
draft and 2007 is where the real talent is at.

^^^^Right there!

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
One guy!

You should be encouraged that just one person said that, and the general consensus was otherwise.

Unclebuck
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Peja's free attempts per game.

01 - 4.2
02 - 4.5
03 - 3.7
04 - 5.2
05 - 4.2

That is an average amount for a guy who scores like he does. The leaders in the NBA get ovr 10 per game

FrenchConnection
02-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Peja's free attempts per game.

01 - 4.2
02 - 4.5
03 - 3.7
04 - 5.2
05 - 4.2

That is an average amount for a guy who scores like he does. The leaders in the NBA get ovr 10 per game

I think that this number will go up because we will ask him to do some different things that will draw fouls. He did last night.

FrenchConnection
02-01-2006, 12:52 PM
One guy!

You should be encouraged that just one person said that, and the general consensus was otherwise.

You're right. I am going to the game tonight with a Laker fan and I am really trying to stay positive and any negative comments stick out right now.

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
You're right. I am going to the game tonight with a Laker fan and I am really trying to stay positive and any negative comments stick out right now.

Hey, I wasn't trying to lay any blame or anything on you. I'm just surprised it hasn't been more negative around here.