PDA

View Full Version : I want to ask this before the game starts....

Peck
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
& before I see how Peja & Co. do.

What direction is this team headed? No, I'm not talking about the rest of this season, I mean where do TPTB see us heading in style of play?

I know Larry wants a more open style of offense but I have to ask, how do you do that with J.O. in the half-court set? How do you do that with Carlisle as coach?

It just seems to me that right now we have no real direction or focus. It's just a hodge podge of things thrown together.

Even if we win tonight & Peja rips off 38 pts. I still wonder how does he fit on this team?

Does anybody else have a clue?

Unclebuck
01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
I have no clue, I'm more concerned about the defense

Anthem
01-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Down?

SoupIsGood
01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Down?

.... the toilet.

Fireball Kid
01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
.... the toilet.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, we only gave up 84 points. The Wizards had at least 7 3-Point plays in this game and we were still in it. Our Offense was just bad tonight. Wacko Jacko couldn't hit anything, not even his free throws. Peja had an off night which was expected I guess. But he shot 8-10 from free throws, so he wasnt that bad.

I now say screw it and put Danny Granger at SF and Peja at SG.

Fireball Kid
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Oh wait..........were playing the Lakers next? Maybe we should have Peja at SF and Danny at SG.:shrug:

Moses
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Or we can just go Runi, Stephen, Peja, Danny, and Pollard. Whacko Jacko and Granger are the only two that could hold Kobe to some bad scoring.

Frank Slade
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
I have attached the (new and improved) song that best desribes
the current state of the team..

Pacers Anthem (http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/Media/Music/Tom%20Petty%20-%20Free%20Falling.mp3)
:whistle:

:eyebrow:

indygeezer
01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
My source tells me that Rick, Larry, and the coaching staff have been huddled up together for 3 days redesigning the offensive sets.

Seems they have this idea for getting more movement in the half court sets and better ideas for busting out on fastbreak points. Seems they wanna call their new system The Quicks. Figure it'll revolutionize pro bball.

indygeezer
01-31-2006, 10:07 PM

Pacers Anthem (http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/Media/Music/Tom%20Petty%20-%20Free%20Falling.mp3)

sweet

Bball
01-31-2006, 10:17 PM
I've been asking a similar question for a few days... Are Donnie, Larry, Rick and the owners on the same page or not? I'm not convinced they are.

-Bball

rm1369
01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Nearly ever player on this team is more suited to a faster paced game than a grind it out half court game. I'd say AJ and maybe Harrison are the only players I believe fit Carlisles style. I personally don't understand why Carlisle feels JO is the key to playing a power game, JO is simply not a power player. He has neutralized his best asset (his athleticism) by gaining wait to try to fit Carlisles system. I don't think its a coincidence that he has missed more time to injury since he bulked up. If the system doesn't fit your best player or most of your players, why do you play it?

From some of Birds comments about Artest and the players he's brought in, I think he obviously wants to see a different style. I am concerned we will end up with an extremely soft, jump shooting team trying to play the power, grind it out style Carlisile seems to prefer (once JO returns). The team has not done Carlisle any favors by having a bunch of good players, and not enough very good - great players. That has obviously contributed to the chemistry problems. There is no pecking order on this team - JO and then a collection of players that are all damn near equal. Combine that with Carlisle's refusal to play an up and down game that fits his players and allows a contribution from more of them, and you have a problem. This team is either poorly constructed or poorly coached. Maybe both. I honestly have very little faith in Bird or Carlisle.

I'd say the team is headed to the lottery. And a makeover that will probably make things worse unless TPTB and the coach can get on the same page.

sixthman
01-31-2006, 10:56 PM

Free falling is one of my favorites songs. Huge Tom Petty fan. Plus I did a little free fallin' in LA many moons ago.

naptown
02-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I see Bird putting his stamp on this team. I see Bird slowly acquiring the team first mentality type of players that is needed to win a championship. The type of players who are unselfish, intelligent, understand personal sacrifice and playing hard on both ends of the court for 48 minutes.

Once Jackson is traded this summer we will be another step closer and minus one more player that does seem to fit that mold.