PDA

View Full Version : Team USA may be completed soon...

Kstat
01-31-2006, 05:34 AM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060131/SPORTS0102/601310334/1127

U.S. wants Billups

Pistons point guard will be invited to play in World Championships and the 2008 Olympics.

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Advertisement

Robin Buckson/The Detroit News

Chauncey Billups hasn't said if he will accept the offer to play for the U.S. national team. See full image

* Printer friendly version
* Comment on this story
* Send this story to a friend
* Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- It appears, barring any unforeseen snag, Chauncey Billups will have a spot on the U.S. men's basketball team -- if he wants one.

"We want him to play," said Jerry Colangelo, who is in charge of assembling the team that will play in the World Championships this summer, potentially another qualifying tournament in the summer of 2007 and in the Olympics in 2008.

Colangelo said he planned to speak to Billups today. The only concern is a possible conflict this summer. Billups' wife, Piper, is expecting to deliver their third child in July or August.

"Would we be flexible with him as far as the pregnancy, absolutely," Colangelo said. "We just need to talk and work out the circumstances."

Billups, who took treatment on his bruised left thigh before flying to New Jersey where he is expected to play against the Nets tonight, declined to comment.

Colangelo said he was also waiting to hear from Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James already have committed to the team. Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Allen Iverson are also expected to commit.

Colangelo has said his initial targets for the point guard position were Billups and Jason Kidd. Kidd, who will be 35 in the summer of 2008, has met with Colangelo. He said he wanted to discuss at length with his family before making the commitment.

Other point guards being considered include Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Steve Francis and Kirk Hinrich.

Colangelo is hoping to get final word from Elton Brand, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh and Marcus Camby.

He hopes to announce the team during All-Star weekend, Feb. 18-19.

Kestas
01-31-2006, 06:53 AM
so where are college players and European veterans that everybody talked so much about? this is just another NBA squad...

BOOOOOORING!

Kingsfanbmiller
01-31-2006, 06:58 AM
This team is going to be awful vs euro teams just like the last team. No shooting besides Kobe/Billups right? Why would we want Dwyane Wade on it again? The guy can't shoot. International ball needs shooters. We're gonna lose again:( . Why would we want Steve Francis? Yeah he's talented but he sucks.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
so where are college players and European veterans that everybody talked so much about? this is just another NBA squad...

BOOOOOORING!

European veterans? WTF?

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:00 AM
This team is going to be awful vs euro teams just like the last team. No shooting besides Kobe/Billups right? Why would we want Dwyane Wade on it again? The guy can't shoot. International ball needs shooters. We're gonna lose again:( . Why would we want Steve Francis? Yeah he's talented but he sucks.

Sorry, I must have missed the meeting where it was decided that Amare, Marion, Lebron, Kobe and Billups was an "awful" team. I don't care whose rules its played by.

You only need one or two shooters to break a team out of a zone. You dont need all 5 players on the court to hit threes.

Let Kobe hit 15 threes playing aganst air until whatever team we play decides to play man to man defense, and then our athletes can smother them.

Why would we want Dwayne Wade? Is that a joke? He's kinda improved his shot since 2004....

Not to mention, FIBA plays with the kiddy 3-point line. Well within Wade's improved range.

Kingsfanbmiller
01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Kinda. It's like yeah you want him, but the guy can't shoot at all. This team was supposed to be different, with roleplayers on it+a few stars. Not just 1000000000 stars+ a few role players. You don't need that many scorers.

Kestas
01-31-2006, 07:04 AM
European veterans? WTF?

proven Americans playing in Europe. what's there not to understand?

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:08 AM

Why would we want Americans crappy enough that they weren't good enough to play in their own country? Because they know the rules better? Who cares.

Maceo Baston is a nice kid, but I don't want him representing my country.

Not like it matters. This is easily the most talented US team since 1996, led by the best SG and the best SF on the planet. If they lose a game to anybody, it'll be the biggest upset in the history of the world championships.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Kinda. It's like yeah you want him, but the guy can't shoot at all. This team was supposed to be different, with roleplayers on it+a few stars. Not just 1000000000 stars+ a few role players. You don't need that many scorers.

Its a silly notion to just assume that stars can't sacrifice for the good of the team. Chauncey and Lebron have both shown their capable of deferring to others.

Kobe is the only guy on that list I see that hasn't shown he can play a #2 role, and as long as he's the only #1 option on the team, it'll be fine. Kobe can be the star of the team, and Billups and Lebron can be support players.

Meanwhile, the team is loaded with eveyrthing you could want on an international basketball team. If I had to pick a team, this is close to how I'd pick it.

Allen Iverson is probably going to be the 6th man for this team. That is freaking sick.

Chauncey
01-31-2006, 07:17 AM

What? are you serious? Most of those guys I wouldn't pick for my local rec league team.

317Kim
01-31-2006, 07:19 AM
This year's team is going to be fine!

Kestas
01-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Why would we want Americans crappy enough that they weren't good enough to play in their own country? Because they know the rules better? Who cares.

yes, I do remember that you don't care about it ;)

I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best they can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team for those competitions US can have imho. besides, everything your officials were telling about how versatile their team will be and how much will change, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever. in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.

Kingsfanbmiller
01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but they're all going to look for their shot instead of their teammate's shots(besides LeBron and Chauncey). Seriously, Steve Francis. That guy is a chucker. Not to mention LeBron is scoring 30 PPG on a great %. I like the team 1-3, Brand and Amare are good(well not if he can't come back from micro fracture). I'm just thinking it's kind of weird because Colangelo was talking about role players etc. Instead he's picking everyone who's having a great season. Maybe the role players will get bench spots, who knows.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:23 AM
yes, I do remember that you don't care about it ;)

I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best tehy can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team foor those competitions US can have. besides, everything your officials were telling aobu how versatile their tema will be, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever.in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.

Yeah. What versatility could possibly come from a team of Kobe, Lebron, Chauncey, Iverson, Marion, Wade and Stoudemire? No versatility there, nosirrreee....

I care about getting the gold medal back. This group is highly likely do do that for me in 2006 and 2008. Therefore, I'm happy.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah, but they're all going to look for their shot instead of their teammate's shots(besides LeBron and Chauncey). Seriously, Steve Francis. That guy is a chucker. Not to mention LeBron is scoring 30 PPG on a great %. I like the team 1-3, Brand and Amare are good(well not if he can't come back from micro fracture). I'm just thinking it's kind of weird because Colangelo was talking about role players etc. Instead he's picking everyone who's having a great season. Maybe the role players will get bench spots, who knows.

Steve Francis will never see the floor if he gets selected. If things go to plan, Chauncey will be the starting PG, and Iverson the backup. Francis will be the 3rd PG if the 5 guys in front of him pass up the opportunity.

Let's look at this logically:

1. Kobe can do his thing and be the #1 option, because there is nobody else on the team that cares if he is.

2. Chauncey is very capable of standing back sniping open 3-point shots all night long. The guy goes entire halves without attempting a shot, he doesnt need the ball to be effective.

3. LeBron has shown he can play any role. He scores 30ppg because thats the only way he can win. He's done plenty to prove he is capable of setting the table for others.

4. Amare, Marion and Dwight Howard do not need post touches to be effective. All three are finishers and rebounders. They aren't go-to guys.

5. Iverson can come off the bench as the 6th man and do his thing, which is to give the team a scoring lift off the bench. He's the perfect 6th man if he accepts the role.

6. Wade can take whatever minutes Kobes sits down for and fill the role of the #1 option.

I seriously don't see a big problem with the rotation on this team. All the peices look like they fit together, to me...

Kestas
01-31-2006, 07:29 AM
What? are you serious? Most of those guys I wouldn't pick for my local rec league team.

what, you removed me from your blocked list? ;)

I figured having people like me makes you feel better. thanks! :D

regarding your thought.. well, it is indeed very well motivated!
man, I surrender. I guess your superior and insightfull knowledge of European basketball got me there, dude!

Kestas
01-31-2006, 07:31 AM
I care about getting the gold medal back. This group is highly likely do do that for me in 2006 and 2008. Therefore, I'm happy.

probably. but you can do better, deffinitely. world championships is not a club competition. one loss in the play-offs and you are screwed.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 07:40 AM
probably. but you can do better, deffinitely. world championships is not a club competition. one loss in the play-offs and you are screwed.

I don't think so.

This team was constructed with international play in mind. Smaller, more athletic big men that defend and rebound but dont need to post up, and big guards and big forwards that can shoot over the top of zones and score on anybody off the dribble.

I thought this team was put together extremely well.

Stryder
01-31-2006, 07:45 AM
I can't complain though, coz US are not preparing the best they can as far as I see it. maybe that will improve, but no signs yet.
sure, maybe this new team will beat everyone, but it will not be the best team for those competitions US can have imho. besides, everything your officials were telling about how versatile their team will be and how much will change, is going to the trash bucket. all they are doing is just compiling a pile of stars with no change in phylosophy whatsoever. in a way this is very dissapointing, because the Dream Team can not be recreated. USA needs to think wider.

Okay, if this team is not the best one that the USA can field then who do you propose to add to the team, and who do you propose to take off of it?

What "proven" American stars in Europe do you propose on adding to this team? Expound, if you can.

Thanks!

DisplacedKnick
01-31-2006, 08:08 AM
With the need for shooters I'm a bit surprised not to see Ray Allen and Michael Redd being mentioned.

If they're getting together starting this summer our biggest weakness is gone though. Plus Coach K will be more flexible than LB - as long as the players pay attention to him.

Stevie Francis on the team would be an abomination though.

Kestas
01-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Okay, if this team is not the best one that the USA can field then who do you propose to add to the team, and who do you propose to take off of it?
What "proven" American stars in Europe do you propose on adding to this team? Expound, if you can.

I would love to know that, but this question is too hard for me to answer, I'm afraid. it's very complicated, really. and if I mention some names from Europe, you will probably bash them anyways, so what's the point..
imho the pool of tallent is so deep, it's mind boggling. I expected Collangelo and co. to do that research. in fact, I still expect him to invite at least a few non-NBA players. what i was trying to tell (and what seems to be the feeling outside US right now) is that having the best NBA players may not be enough (or it may turn out to be too much). sometimes less is better. looking at the current names it may appear that US will try to outplay everybody using the sheer individual tallent. but in reality the strength of basketball team is not the sum of the strenght of its individual players imho.. sometimes it may be much larger thant that sum. sometimes it can be much smaller though.

Stryder
01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
I would love to know that, but this question is too hard for me to answer, I'm afraid. it's very complicated, really. and if I mention some names from Europe, you will probably bash them anyways, so what's the point..
imho the pool of tallent is so deep, it's mind boggling. I expected Collangelo and co. to do that research. in fact, I still expect him to invite at least a few non-NBA players. what i was trying to tell (and what seems to be the feeling outside US right now) is that having the best NBA players may not be enough (or it may turn out to be too much). sometimes less is better. looking at the current names it may appear that US will try to outplay everybody using the sheer individual tallent. but in reality the strength of basketball team is not the sum of the strenght of its individual players imho.. sometimes it may be much larger thant that sum. sometimes it can be much smaller though.

So, basically you proposed a question of which you cannot answer...

I want some NAMES...

huff18
01-31-2006, 09:15 AM
I think the biggest difference with this team and the last national team will be the coaching. Larry Brown is a good coach but he is too set in his ways and he didn't have alot of international experience. Mike D'antoni has coached and played in Italy so he understands the international game.

I thought what Brown's biggest mistake was that he let the international teams dictate the tempo of the games by playing a half court game instead of utilizing the athleticism and depth that the U.S. team had. He should have made it "40 minutes of hell" like Nolan Richardson and the Razorbacks use to do it , trap and press .

But, instead Larry was to busy complaining about what he didn't have instead of altering his game to his personnel. I understand it is important to have shooters, but there wasn't anything Larry could do during the competition to alter his personnel so I didn't understand why he complained so much. Plus I think L James, C Anthony and D Wade played very few minutes and Stoudimire played 0 minutes

As far as this up coming team I think they have some shooters but they don't have any set shooters they could remedy that adding JJ Redick. Another thing they could use is a couple of guys that are great at setting screens and are capable of hitting a consistent 15 footer ie B. Miller.

Lastly and most importantly the personnel for this up coming team is being selected with the understanding of the coaches style in mind. D'antoni, I think could have utilized the talent on the last team alot better than Brown. D'antoni is all about running so he needs heady pgs, finishers and guys that can hit a jump shot in an open full court game . He is persistant and comitted on playing a fast paced game and will not be lulled into a half court game. But with all that being said they should get a screener and a set shooter just incase they have to play half court Bball.

Chauncey
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM

This is what I love about some of the Euros on internet message boards. Never, EVER, will/can they get into specifics about basketball or specific players...they always talk in generalities and whenever you call them on it, they back away.

I can't blame them, though..if I was stuck watching the equivalent of mid-major NCAA ball as a professional league I wouldn't bother learning about the game either.

Fool
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
I think some here are letting the fact that these players have recognizable names cloud their opinion of the team. Its been stated a couple of times in this thread (and IMO its true) that there are multiple players on this team who don't play prodominently individual ball.

Meanwhile, others here are being a little selective in their focus. I think everyone agrees that Francis is a poor choice (should he even be offered a try-out, which the article says isn't the case so far), but look at the other guys Collangelo is "waiting to hear from" Hamilton, Kidd, Prince (its a Detroit article, so of course it Detroit player centric). These are guys more then willing to 1) take a supportive role 2) make other guys better rather than focus on their individual stats. I've seen the comment "Why don't we just send the Pistons" on here more then once, it appears Collangelo is doing his best to get that done.

This team (though I agree it needs at least on more 3pt shooter) is leaps and bounds better then the last team in the forward spots alone.

DeS
01-31-2006, 10:02 AM
This is what I love about some of the Euros on internet message boards. Never, EVER, will/can they get into specifics about basketball or specific players...they always talk in generalities and whenever you call them on it, they back away.
I can't blame them, though..if I was stuck watching the equivalent of mid-major NCAA ball as a professional league I wouldn't bother learning about the game either.

Why are You always just teasing us, Euros? I suggest You know Yourself very well about the nonsense (comparing mid-major NCAA with EL) You are writing. If it is so, then maybe USA should send NCAA players? But for a start maybe NCAA players should win the junior world championship? I hope nobody will respond this.

Mordecaii
01-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I might get flamed for this, but I just want to say that I think someone like Michael Redd or Ray Allen should be taken over Rip Hamilton. Rip is a great player, awesome at coming off of screens, etc... but I like Redd's and Allen's ability to shoot from almost anywhere they want. Of course, the 3 point line being closer in will probably make the 3 a more comfortable shot for Rip, but still... I do want to point out that I still think Rip is a good choice, but I just think that Ray Allen in particular would be a better choice... (then again, maybe I'm not considering the need for Kobe to be the undisputed #1 enough, and Rip would be the better choice...)

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I think overall their player selection has been excellent, and this will easily be the best team the U.S. has put together in a long time.

Fool
01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
I might get flamed for this, but I just want to say that I think someone like Michael Redd or Ray Allen should be taken over Rip Hamilton. Rip is a great player, awesome at coming off of screens, etc... but I like Redd's and Allen's ability to shoot from almost anywhere they want. Of course, the 3 point line being closer in will probably make the 3 a more comfortable shot for Rip, but still... I do want to point out that I still think Rip is a good choice, but I just think that Ray Allen in particular would be a better choice... (then again, maybe I'm not considering the need for Kobe to be the undisputed #1 enough, and Rip would be the better choice...)

I'd agree with that for the most part. While Hamilton is shooting an incredibly high percentage (especially 3pt %), he has a low number of shots, and he's definately not the kind of pull-up 3pt shooter Redd or Allen is. Though the the ability of guys like Hamilton or Szczerbiak to hit a high percentage from anywhere on the court might be as usefull as another guy who can just jump and heave a 3 from anywhere. Doesn't Ray Allen have a beef with Kobe (I know he's got one with Bowen)?

Diamond Dave
01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Not that I think that we should have college players or Euro league players on our team, but IMO this team is too small.

Amare is the only bigman listed so far in what you guys have written about. I better see Dwight Howard's name appear on there. Or Okafor's. We need some bulk. Getting all these run and gun players is playing right into the international teams hands.

Am I the only one that thinks of Ewing, Robinson, Malone, and Shaq on those dream teams? I think everyone at this point just remembers Jordan, Bird, and Magic.

Chauncey
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I think overall their player selection has been excellent, and this will easily be the best team the U.S. has put together in a long time.

I think that Ray has already hinted that he wont be playing, can't remember where I saw that at or why. I fully expect Redd to be on the team. Also, I dont think that Ray would have a problem with Kobe being the #1, despite their off/on problems with each other, they have a good relationship and Ray would love being wide open all of the time.

Also, don't understimate the importantce of Kobe's legendary practice and workout habits. Other guys don't want to look the the one who's slacking off. This will be a well-prepared, motivated, and outstanding team. Between Coach K's guidance, D'Antoni's great system on offense, Kobe's will, and the selflessness and talent of everyone else on the team, they're going to walk over everyone else.

Fool
01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
This might satisfy those yearning for collegiate inclusions.

Shortly after All-Star Weekend, USA Basketball will begin rolling out, in groups of four, its choices for the 20-man squad that will convene in Las Vegas for camp in late June. A smaller sampling of young players (rookies and second-year NBA guys and top-flight collegians) will also be in Vegas as part of a "scout team." Any one, two or three of them may well play their way onto the regular team by the end of camp.

From those players, a group of 14 or 15 will have a busy summer of training and touring that ends with the 2006 FIBA world championships in Japan from Aug. 19 to Sept. 3. In 2007, there will be evaluation and roster tinkering. Finally, a team of 12, armed with the task of restoring America's basketball honor, will head to Beijing in the summer of '08.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jack_mccallum/01/19/olympics/

Most of its about who the writer thinks would, should, or shouldn't be on the team.

Rytas_Jega
01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I've seen the comment "Why don't we just send the Pistons" on here more then once, it appears Collangelo is doing his best to get that done.

I can answer this comment. They can't send Detroit Pistons because Carlos Arroyo, Carlos Delfino and Darko Milicic have played for other National Teams. FIBA regulations say they can't simply change their nationalities and represent the United States of America.

Fool
01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
The comment isn't meant to be taken litterally. Its usually used as an expression of the desire to send a team that will work hard and won't let their own egos get in the way.

But yes, you are right. The U.S. couldn't just send the entire Piston roster as its representative (nor would it, even if the team were made of all American born players).

Chauncey
01-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Not that I think that we should have college players or Euro league players on our team, but IMO this team is too small.

I think you're making the same mistake that USA Basketball has made in the past. For instance if I say:

Lebron James - PF

You say: "um, you're smoking crack...."

Thats because you're thinking about it in NBA terms. When in reality, big men for European teams play around the arc. Thats why it will be awesome to have guys like James and Marion playing PF where their athleticism will be even more pronounced on the defensive end. Its one thing for those guys to get their shot playing against a 6'11 260 lb PF, its another to try and get it against freakish athletes like James and Marion who can contest shots AND are significantly quicker than them.

recap
01-31-2006, 01:02 PM
The comment isn't meant to be taken litterally. Its usually used as an expression of the desire to send a team that will work hard and won't let their own egos get in the way.

But yes, you are right. The U.S. couldn't just send the entire Piston roster as its representative (nor would it, even if the team were made of all American born players).

I'm one of the people that has made the comment "why don't we just send the Pistons", and I still think that we should put the Piston's whole starting line-up on the team. In addition to the fact that every one of them plays well enough to be on the team, you immediately have a group of 5 guys that you can always put on the floor together who are used to playing together every day.

Kstat
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM

Amare is the only bigman listed so far in what you guys have written about. I better see Dwight Howard's name appear on there. Or Okafor's. We need some bulk. Getting all these run and gun players is playing right into the international teams hands.

Am I the only one that thinks of Ewing, Robinson, Malone, and Shaq on those dream teams? I think everyone at this point just remembers Jordan, Bird, and Magic.

There's only one way to play the international game. We've tried sending dominant big men. The international rules are stacked against post play.

If they want us to beat them at their own game, fine. We have the players to do that.

And yes, I remember Ewing and Robinson. I also remember them not ebing able to do much.

FreshPrince22
01-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Why would we want Dwyane Wade on it again? The guy can't shoot.

:laugh: Welcome to 2 years ago. Dude is automatic on those mid-range stepback jumpers now.

Rytas_Jega
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
:laugh: Welcome to 2 years ago. Dude is automatic on those mid-range stepback jumpers now.

I saw just one Miami's game this season. The last one against Lakers. Wade was awful on mid-range and long range jumpers. I didn't see much of automation.

Slick Pinkham
01-31-2006, 02:51 PM
It's strange how terrible a 3-pointer shooter Wade is, 10% on the season: 5 for 48.

He is automatic up to 19 feet and then there is a stone wall.

Amazing player though. Complaining about his range is like complaining about sleeping with a supermodel because she snores a little.

Fireball Kid
01-31-2006, 03:43 PM

Bro, how old are you??? "mid-major NCAA ball"? :laugh: "Euros"? Wow.

Anyways, I look at this team and I think to myself "Hmm, they might actually win the gold this time." They have the talent to win it all.

But I, just like I did at the last olympics, will not be rooting for the USA Basketball Team*Yes, I'm American*.

It is a shame that mostly all of my favorite players (Dirk Nowitzki, Andrei Kirilenko, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Carlos Arroyo, Sarunas Jasikevicius, etc.) are well..........not American. If they put someone like Josh Howard, Danny Granger, Devin Harris, Adam Morrision, and/or JJ Redick on there, than I might reconsider, but the truth is I don't like any of these guys.

Oh wait.......Kobe Tyrant......I mean Bryant is on there........GO ARGENTINA!!:thumbup:

Kstat
01-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh wait.......Kobe Tyrant......I mean Bryant is on there........GO ARGENTINA!!:thumbup:

...and you call HIM a child.... :laugh:

On behalf of USA basketball, I apologize for not having enough white men on the team to please you.

Fireball Kid
01-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Guilty.

Fireball Kid
01-31-2006, 04:05 PM

On behalf of USA basketball, I apologize for not having enough white men on the team to please you.

So what exactly are you saying?

Moses
01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
So what exactly are you saying?
He's inferring that you only like white players. And I would have to say I agree with him.

And to all the euros saying that a lineup of Chauncey, Kobe, Lebron, Amare, and Dwight isn't good enough to win..Are you guys ok? Because these guys are the top 10% in the NBA in terms of skill and ability...and Larry Brown isn't coaching this time.

Hicks
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Um, his point was most of his favorites are foreigners. They play a different style, which probably is the source of the attaction. But no, go the cheap and dirty route and play the damn race card. Because there's so many non-white & non-American players that are in this league not named Yao. And overlook the second list of his favorite American players. That makes it more convenient, so be sure to keep on doing that too!

Kestas
01-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I want some NAMES...

you want names?

www.euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net)
the bigger part of good Americans play there. look for yourself.

I will not name those people, because I sense the childish reaction that would follow.. "oh, oh, look, that's the same scrub that sucked in >some*******shoool< ten years ago!! he stinks! he plays where there's no deffense! Europeans eat children! American scrubs in Europe, but no European stars in US! etcetera!"

anyways, in fact who cares about their former plans. if they manage to get all those stars commit and really do keep them all in camps for three summers now, then I guess this is a good step and they'll be unbelievably strong favourites for the Olympics. however, if they do want to invite more players than it is required for one team, then I'm surprised why they don't pursue some youngsters, who could be considerable NBA players by 2008 and with some considerable international experience as well. besides, regarding the present lack of Americans from Europe.. maybe they do not want to repeat what they did in the Championships of Americas, where a mixed team (some youngsters, some players from Europe) got fourth loosing a lot of games in the process.
anyways, if you want my honest opinion, I think that US could form a team from only players that play in Europe (Beard, Brown, Parker, Bullock, Batiste, Solomon - stuff like that) and that team, with a good European coach, would go for the medal in the Worlds immediately. at least the public in Europe believes so. that just goes to show how much tallent does US have.

clownskull
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
a few things.
i am not too excited by the idea of francis or b. davis on the team. in fact, i really don't want either. i hope neither are on it. i still don't like the current usa system. it seems like it is still the same as befoe and i thought that one had been proven to be a loser. it looks like once again we may be going the way of loading the team with another small squad of slashing scorers. amare is the only current big we have at the moment?, we really could use some help there. i really hope several of the guys who we are waiting on for their final word say yes. i was somewhat shocked that battier was mentioned since he isn't a superstar but, since kryzewski is coach, i guess he does have some swing in the selections otherwise, no way would he be asked over some flashier player.

i would also like to say that those who would like to go back to college guys are not being realistic. most good college players leave by their sophmore seasons. sending a bunch of 18-20 year olds would be a slaughter. would you really be fine with the fact that from then on- the u.s. mens team would have absolutely no chance of ever getting another medal- let alone the gold?

i would like to return to a tryouts system again. that way the squad would be composed of players who really want to be there. and we could see who works best together. not this system of going with a montage of the biggest names who decided to give it a shot.
kind of a rambling but, those are some of my thoughts.

abington
02-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Bro, how old are you??? "mid-major NCAA ball"? :laugh: "Euros"? Wow.

Anyways, I look at this team and I think to myself "Hmm, they might actually win the gold this time." They have the talent to win it all.

But I, just like I did at the last olympics, will not be rooting for the USA Basketball Team*Yes, I'm American*.

It is a shame that mostly all of my favorite players (Dirk Nowitzki, Andrei Kirilenko, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Carlos Arroyo, Sarunas Jasikevicius, etc.) are well..........not American. If they put someone like Josh Howard, Danny Granger, Devin Harris, Adam Morrision, and/or JJ Redick on there, than I might reconsider, but the truth is I don't like any of these guys.

dude. Sarunas is a scrub.

Chauncey
02-01-2006, 08:55 AM
you want names?

www.euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net)
the bigger part of good Americans play there. look for yourself.

I will not name those people, because I sense the childish reaction that would follow.. "oh, oh, look, that's the same scrub that sucked in >some*******shoool< ten years ago!! he stinks! he plays where there's no deffense! Europeans eat children! American scrubs in Europe, but no European stars in US! etcetera!"

anyways, in fact who cares about their former plans. if they manage to get all those stars commit and really do keep them all in camps for three summers now, then I guess this is a good step and they'll be unbelievably strong favourites for the Olympics. however, if they do want to invite more players than it is required for one team, then I'm surprised why they don't pursue some youngsters, who could be considerable NBA players by 2008 and with some considerable international experience as well. besides, regarding the present lack of Americans from Europe.. maybe they do not want to repeat what they did in the Championships of Americas, where a mixed team (some youngsters, some players from Europe) got fourth loosing a lot of games in the process.
anyways, if you want my honest opinion, I think that US could form a team from only players that play in Europe (Beard, Brown, Parker, Bullock, Batiste, Solomon - stuff like that) and that team, with a good European coach, would go for the medal in the Worlds immediately. at least the public in Europe believes so. that just goes to show how much tallent does US have.

Kestas, those players are garbage. Those are guys whose talents are so faded (or never existed) that they don't even get NBA tryouts anymore. End of story.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Kestas, those players are garbage. Those are guys whose talents are so faded (or never existed) that they don't even get NBA tryouts anymore. End of story.

Do you know how much was Dariuys Songaila paid in Europe before he went to Sacramento Kings for the minimum?

700 000 dollars with no astronomic American taxes.

rexnom
02-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't see how the U.S. doesn't win. If you get Billups, LeBron, and Kobe then that is three of my top five MVPs for this year and the other two aren't even American. With a core like that the U.S. just can't lose. They can all out shoot the lights out. They are all versatile and excellent defenders. Also, like KStat has accurately pointed out, Kobe is the only number one option. It seems as if this team is going to be built around Kobe. Even AI will defer bc I think he really really wants to win (like in Athens).

Also, can we please stop the U.S. vs. Europe debate? As much fun as it is...it gets old. Yes, the European style of play is very fun to watch and full of fundamentals but in the end the U.S. is just better and that's just a fact. I will be surprised if this team struggles to win a single match.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
...but in the end the U.S. is just better and that's just a fact. I will be surprised if this team struggles to win a single match.

Lithuanian "reserves" National Team finished fifth with 5-1 record and won a ticket to World Championship in the last European Championship. They were favourites only in 1 of 5 games they won.

Italian NT won silver in 2004 Athens Olympics.

New Zeland NT finished 4th in 2002 World Championship.

rexnom
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Lithuanian "reserves" National Team finished fifth with 5-1 record and won a ticket to World Championship in the last European Championship. They were favourites only in 1 of 5 games they won.

Italian NT won silver in 2004 Athens Olympics.

New Zeland NT finished 4th in 2002 World Championship.

...but in the end the U.S. is just better and that's just a fact. I will be surprised if this team struggles to win a single match.

Fool
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Do you know how much was Dariuys Songaila paid in Europe before he went to Sacramento Kings for the minimum?

700 000 dollars with no astronomic American taxes.

What does that have to do with anything? And whats with the rip on American taxes?

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 12:49 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

Many quality Euroleague's Americans get money NBA teams do not risk to offer.

And whats with the rip on American taxes?

700 000 dollars contract in Europe is a bit bigger than 700 000 dollars contract in NBA.

Fool
02-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Ok, but again what does that have to do with the discussion? Unless you are suggesting that someone of Songailas' skill level should be on the US team. If so, I think your oppinion would differ with most NBA fans.

700 000 dollars contract in Europe is a bit bigger than 700 000 dollars contract in NBA.

While I understood that a contract of 700 grand is less taxed in a Euro country (Is this true regardless of the country? I didn't know US taxes were higher then ever single Euro nation's) thus worth more to the individual, I don't know how meaningful that is given that the minimum NBA salary for a 3 year NBA vet is more than 700,000. I don't really think you want to get into a "Where can a player make more money" debate.

Since86
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM

You mention that taxes would be taken out in his NBA salary, but you didn't mention that 700,00 in Europe is MORE money in the US.

700,000 Euros is roughly 844,836.85 USD.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Not to mention Darius signed a contract worth 2.2 million.........

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2170512

Kestas
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM

what's the point of your post? it only proves my points.
so please, spare us of your totally incompetent comments - it's better for us all.

Since86
02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
what's the point of your post? it only proves my points.
so please, spare us of your totally incompetent comments - it's better for us all.

His point is that you send your best ranked players to international tournaments, not players ranked in the 300s-400s.

Kestas
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM

better or not, they'll have to win. if they will lose, their opponents will be better and that'll be a fact.
US are favourites, but the way you guys treat them is not even funy. on a bad day they can lose to at least ten squads in the Worlds imho. and if they prepare badly or lack teamwork - no bad days will be required.
all I see now is the best collection of individual players possible to collect on earth. are they the World champions? of course not. only after they win that tournament, they will be. if not, your sellection is bad, because the tallent is certainly there. as I told before - championships are often won by the best teams, not the best players. in Athens your players were the best. no other team had such a roster. not even close. yet you lost threee times out of eight ;) there were no easy games for US except for the game against Angola. that's *Angola*. all of the remaining wins for the US came by 10 or less points. US had huge troubles beeting Greeeks, that were stomped by Lithuania by 30+ in the second quarter the next day.
I mean those were the results by the best collection of players in the whole tournament (the US). average deffense, pathetic shooting, *****ing about the refs. what makes this new team better? commitment? Krzyzewski? well, ok, I can buy this (but not pure names of the players). I hope this works out for the best, coz I'd hate and underachieving US side.
but anyways, read your posts before the Athens games ;)

Kestas
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
His point is that you send your best ranked players to international tournaments, not players ranked in the 300s-400s.

who ranked them?
and hundreds.. please. your sarcazm looks stupid.

anyways, my point still stands. the team of Americans playing in Europe under the european coach would go for the gold in the worlds. in fact, this could be on of a few teams that would actually threaten your actual US squad ;) rankings are for loosers to look and say they are the best after loosing a tournament.

btowncolt
02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
:usa:

denyfizle
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Chauncey's wife's name is Piper? :evil:

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Ok, but again what does that have to do with the discussion? Unless you are suggesting that someone of Songailas' skill level should be on the US team. If so, I think your oppinion would differ with most NBA fans.

That was an answer to

those players are garbage. Those are guys whose talents are so faded (or never existed) that they don't even get NBA tryouts anymore. End of story.

Better ask Mr._Basketball "what does that have to do with the discussion?"

Since86
02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
who ranked them?

anyways, my point still stands. the team of Americans playing in Europe under the european coach would go for the gold in the worlds. in fact, this could be on of a few teams that would actually threaten your actual US squad ;) rankings are for loosers to look and say they are the best after loosing a tournament.

Are you really that naive, or do you just take everything said literally?

How many college D1 basketball players are there do you suppose? There's, what, 12 per team at 300+ D1 programs. So a conservative estimate would place there being 3600 D1 basketball players in the US alone.

How many NBA players? 30 teams with 12 man rosters, again being a conservative number, equals out to be 360.

Then how many semi-pro players, or even legend players from Rucker park?

We're talking about a massive country with a over 10,000 basketball players that are good enough to actually play somewhere that has an interest base behind it.

Players like Mateen Cleaves were good college players, but not couldn't cut it in the NBA for several reasons. Thus, he isn't an elite player. There are literally hundreds of US citizens that are just as good, or better than those playing in Europe. Just because they play there, doesn't mean they should represent our country.

Why take players that can't cut it in the best league, IN THE WORLD? Take the best of the best, and you'll have the best.

Fool
02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
better or not, they'll have to win. if they will lose, their opponents will be better and that'll be a fact.
US are favourites, but the way you guys treat them is not even funy. on a bad day they can lose to at least ten squads in the Worlds imho. and if they prepare badly or lack teamwork - no bad days will be required.
all I see now is the best collection of individual players possible to collect on earth. are they the World champions? of course not. only after they win that tournament, they will be. if not, your sellection is bad, because the tallent is certainly there. as I told before - championships are often won by the best teams, not the best players. in Athens your players were the best. no other team had such a roster. not even close. yet you lost threee times out of eight there were no easy games for US except for the game against Angola. that's *Angola*. all of the remaining wins for the US came by 10 or less points. US had huge troubles beeting Greeeks, that were stomped by Lithuania by 30+ in the second quarter the next day.
I mean those were the results by the best collection of players in the whole tournament (the US). average deffense, pathetic shooting, *****ing about the refs. what makes this new team better? commitment? Krzyzewski? well, ok, I can buy this (but not pure names of the players). I hope this works out for the best, coz I'd hate and underachieving US side.
but anyways, read your posts before the Athens games

The article that started this thread is about the players they are picking for the team. Thus the topic of discussion is what players are best suited for the team. Of course "all [you] see now is the best collection of individual players possible to collect on earth", thats because all thats happened is that the players are being chosen. How exactly is a team yet to be assembled supposed to "show you" anything other than what you rate each persons individual ability?

You keep bringing up the failure of the last olympic team as though the rest of us (as well as the rest of the US) isn't aware of it. Believe me, if the US hadn't failed to get the gold NBA fans would hardly be paying attention to who is on the team this year. We know what happened last time.

As for "will the team play better", its all speculation because all thats happened is they've chosen some of the players. Of course you don't know what will happen just as I don't know. Hell the coaches and players themselves don't know because they haven't even practiced yet. But your contention that less talented (and less skilled) players will do better simply because they've played in Europe is just as elitist, biased, and biggotted as those here saying that the Euro leagues are garbage.

who ranked them?

Your point still stands as pure unsupported oppinion just like everyone elses predictions of the future.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
You mention that taxes would be taken out in his NBA salary, but you didn't mention that 700,00 in Europe is MORE money in the US.

700,000 Euros is roughly 844,836.85 USD.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Not to mention Darius signed a contract worth 2.2 million.........

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2170512

I was talking about 700 000 dollars, not euros. That was Songaila's salary at Moscow CSKA. Sacramento Kings offered just NBA minimum. Darius refused 700 000 dollars from CSKA and accepted Kings' offer. Darius risked. Many Euroleague's Americans don't risk. That was my point.

He signed 2.2 million contract in 2005/2006 pre-season. I was talking about his first NBA contract.

Fool
02-01-2006, 04:49 PM

That was an answer to

those players are garbage. Those are guys whose talents are so faded (or never existed) that they don't even get NBA tryouts anymore. End of story.

Better ask Mr._Basketball "what does that have to do with the discussion?"

Songalia is (at this point in time) an NBA player and even as such, should not be on the Olympic team. If it was an answer to that strand of the thread, then it was a poor one in my oppinion.

Since86
02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I was talking about 700 000 dollars, not euros. That was Songaila's salary at Moscow CSKA. Sacramento Kings offered just NBA minimum. Darius refused 700 000 dollars from CSKA and accepted Kings' offer. Darius risked. Many Euroleague's Americans don't risk. That was my point.

He signed 2.2 million contract in 2005/2006 pre-season. I was talking about his first NBA contract.

95% of Euroleague Americans can't make an NBA squad, which is why they don't play in the NBA.

Every player in the world top goal is to be in the "League," hence the reason it can be referred to with that one word. No American born player is running around the age of 6 telling their parents they want to play overseas. That's the alternative, not the goal.........

Saras goal was to make it in the NBA. That's where he wanted to be. He's been quoted as saying he didn't come sooner, because he wasn't good enough yet. He was touted as one of Europe's best players, and the best pg there, yet he's only starting caliber on a sinking team.

There is no comparison to NBA players, and Euro players. That's why every big name Euro comes to the league, and if they can't cut it they go back and be the man again.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Songalia is (at this point in time) an NBA player and even as such, should not be on the Olympic team. If it was an answer to that strand of the thread, then it was a poor one in my oppinion.

That was an answer that some American palyers in Europe aren't garbages what Mr._Basketball states. They simply have good conditions in Europe, get much more than NBA minimum here. They don't want to play for minimum contracts that NBA teams offer.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Saras goal was to make it in the NBA. That's where he wanted to be. He's been quoted as saying he didn't come sooner, because he wasn't good enough yet. He was touted as one of Europe's best players, and the best pg there, yet he's only starting caliber on a sinking team.

He came to NBA for 4 million dollars.
Hornets' Macijauskas came for 2.5 million per year.

Since86
02-01-2006, 05:08 PM

$$$ was not the only reason, hence why he signed here for less than what Clev. offered him......

Straight from his mouth
"I came to the NBA for a lot of reasons. Mainly it was to get out of Europe and to get some new motivation going. I finally got legitimate interest from the NBA and for me it is very exciting to be here. I feel like a kid again. I am learning the new league, I am learning new systems, everything in Europe was already old to me, I knew everything. This is great stuff for me. "

With regards to International Tournaments and what the US needs to do:
"Honestly, that is a big problem. They started to understand that they need to bring the best players and for them not to play like it's some kind of exhibition game. I think they understand that after the World Championships in Indianapolis and that is what they are trying to do. So give a lot of credit to International basketball because they finally understand they have to bring they A-team to compete at that level. "

http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/printer_15610.shtml

From when he was still in college:
"My parents want me to come here because of education. Basketball comes second to them," he said. "But for me, it comes first. [The NBA] has been my goal from the first time I knew what it was all about."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/events/1998/tournament/men/spotlight/jasikevicius.html

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
$$$ was not the only reason, hence why he signed here for less than what Clev. offered him......

Can't disagree money was not the only reason.

A chance to play against the best players in the World increases every NBA contract's value. For some people that's very important, for others less.

Since86
02-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Can't disagree money was not the only reason.

A chance to play against the best players in the World increases every NBA contract's value. For some people that's very important, for others less.

Which still doesn't explain what he, Songalia, has anything to do with Mr_Basketball saying the players that you listed(Beard, Brown, Parker, Bullock, Batiste, Solomon) are crap.

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Which still doesn't explain what he, Songalia, has anything to do with Mr_Basketball saying the players that you listed(Beard, Brown, Parker, Bullock, Batiste, Solomon) are crap.

First, I can't find where I listed those players. I can't remember listing them.

It has something to do with players Mr._Basketball names crap. Some of those players are at the same Songaila's situation.

Kstat
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
First, I can't find where I listed those players. I can't remember listing them.

It has something to do with players Mr._Basketball names crap. Some of those players are at the same Songaila's situation.

I wouldn't want a player of songaila's calibur on team USA anyway...

Kestas
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
How many college D1 basketball players are there do you suppose? There's, what, 12 per team at 300+ D1 programs. So a conservative estimate would place there being 3600 D1 basketball players in the US alone.

but people I'm talking about are playing in Europe for up to ten years or even more. they are not college players, they are on a different level (physically at the very least ;)). you know it and i know it, so why this comparisson? these are different people from the kids you may have heard about in the past. they were not good enough to cut it in NBA when they were young, but they are now good enough to lead (or be close to the leaders) teams in Euroleague. the same teams, that have players, who go to their national camps and then win gold medals in Olympics, Worlds or whatever. these Americans sometimes play like natural born Lithuanians, Serbs or Argentineans. they do realise no one is waiting for them in US with arms wide spread. US cares about young tallent or superstars from Europe. successfull Americans usually don't even try to go back to NBA imho.
the sentiment after the Olympic games was that US NT could use some of those players (it was coming from US, obviously - the national team for the tournament of Americans proves that, though I thought it was far from optimal). now there are no such players - fine. but that's not the reason to dismiss them as useless. besides, I wrote "under the European coach". or coaches, should I say. as Kstat said - he doesn't want Songaila on his team. we all understand Songaila is just another good role player off the bench in NBA, nothing more. however, Songaila is a force in the international competition. how can this be?

btw, the number of 10 000 pro players does not surprise me.. In Lithuania there are more than 16 000 officially licensed basketball players (not sure whether it includes youngsters) and we are talking about the country more than 200 miles between the furthest borders and with the population of just more than half of Indiana state's ;)

Kestas
02-01-2006, 06:41 PM

it has been leaked to internet that Hapoel Jarusalem supposedly have offered Saras 12 mln, but he declined.
4 mln per year is not much (relatively speaking ;)), especially when you take out the taxes. in Europe ocntracts are announced with taxes counted out. Saras obviously wants the NBA title badly, that's the best pay he could expect at this point.

Kstat
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
as Kstat said - he doesn't want Songaila on his team. we all understand Songaila is just another good role player off the bench in NBA, nothing more. however, Songaila is a force in the international competition. how can this be?

....because the competition level is less than the NBA?

Rytas_Jega
02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't want a player of songaila's calibur on team USA anyway...

Where did I write about USA NT of Songaila's caliber players on this thread?

I just answered to Mr._Basketball's statement about Euroleague's Americans being crap.

rexnom
02-01-2006, 07:12 PM
What is this debate? I mean, what is exactly being debated here? I am extremely confused. Every time we talk about Saras or the World Championships or Team USA or anything international we get into this debate...but what is it really?

I think that some people on this board are just extremely proud and refuse to admit that there is a lower quality of play outside of the U.S. while everyone else is too stubborn to accept fully that the U.S. was beat fair and square in the last two international competitions. As a member of that second group I just want to say to everyone else in the world that while the U.S. was beat by the rules (though they may be international and anti-american as Tim Duncan would testify) the teams you have seen in the past 5 years are in no way representative of the U.S. and this time it will be different.

Kestas
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
....because the competition level is less than the NBA?

because it's different?
I'd say two things: coaching and approach (teamworkd, squeezing every last bit of juice out of everyone, using players wisely). also the knowledge of the details of FIBA game are exceptionally important. that last thing is up to the player imho, it's the part of his skill set.

for some reason when we watch Songaila against some star forward in NBA, Songaila looks worse, but Songaila against the same star forward in Athens for some reason looks better. conclusion: Songaila is better in international competition, while his opponent is worse? if we assume that this statement is true, then statement "best players of NBA are actually the best sellection US can assemble for international competition" can not be called true or false, because the players use in NBA >may not be equal< players use in FIBA competitions. it may be larger, but it may be smaller.
however, this statement does not include the team aspect. basically you need the team that would be optimal for the international competitions. numerous examples illustrate that best players not always equalls optimal team (that's even having in mind that they trained together and so on). but you may disagree with that and maybe you'll be right.