PDA

View Full Version : Pacers.com} Should Pacers Make More Moves This Season?

Frank Slade
01-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Should Pacers Make More Moves This Season?

Monday, Jan. 30, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. With Jermaine (O'Neal) out for what could be quite a long time, do you see the Pacers trying to make another deal or will they most likely stand pat and develop a working lineup with the players they have? My belief is that they should take what they have and play on, as has been the case the last two years. Do you think that (Jamaal) Tinsley will be able to fit into a more offense-minded team that the "experts" say they will have to become? Finally what is the status of our human band-aid Mr. (Jonathan) Bender? (Tony in New Castle, Ind.)

A. Though the possibility hasn't been ruled out, but team President Larry Bird indicated when the Peja Stojakovic trade was announced that he'd prefer to keep this restructured team together the rest of the season to see how it functioned. With O'Neal out two months with a groin tear and Tinsley out for a while again with his right elbow injury, it's going to be hard to really judge this team until April and beyond.

"Right now we haven't really talked about that because this has taken so much of our time," Bird said. "We like our core group and we'll have to see how they come out and play now. The excuses are over. Whatever happens, we want to make sure our players play as hard as they possibly can when they're out there on the court. You've seen the games. They haven't been doing that and so we're very disappointed in that."

Hopefully, the first game after the trade was an indicator of what to expect, at least from an effort standpoint. The Pacers were very active against the Cavaliers on Friday night and the crowd in Conseco Fieldhouse really responded. It was very much like atmosphere in the first few games immediately after the suspensions last year and could well indicate the community's willingness to rally around this team.

Since Tinsley is primarily an offensive player at his best in a fluid system, he should be well-suited for a scheme that opens things up a bit. But until he can conquer his latest physical malady, that's only for conjecture.

As for Bender, he's home in New Orleans pondering his future and possible retirement. His knees are in such a state of decline that he risks long-term problems if he tries to continue his career. He has scheduled an arthroscopic procedure for March and told The Indianapolis Star he has no plans to make an announcement prior to the surgery. And so we wait.

:cool:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Will Galen
01-31-2006, 03:50 AM
A. Though the possibility hasn't been ruled out, but team President Larry Bird indicated when the Peja Stojakovic trade was announced that he'd prefer to keep this restructured team together the rest of the season to see how it functioned. With O'Neal out two months with a groin tear and Tinsley out for a while again with his right elbow injury, it's going to be hard to really judge this team until April and beyond.

Everyone knows I've always been a Walsh warrior and Bird backer right? If not, you do now.

Bird and Walsh want to keep the team together and see how it works? Well, to steal a quote from John Grisham's book, 'Rain Maker', this is Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! The way they are doing things, by the time they find the right combination, JO will have been retired for ten years.

Bird said words earlier this year to the effect that "He's confused why this team isn't better."

"Well Bird, it's obvious to us die hard fans that you have too many problem children on the team and you need to trade some of them."

Bird and Walsh have the credentials of being smart basketball people, so I hope this is just a smoke screen and they will be more trades before the deadline. Otherwise they are being . . .

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Gamble
01-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Thank God the East sucks and even with the current line up
we have a shot at the playoffs.

indygeezer
01-31-2006, 07:18 AM

But that is an illusion. It gives one a sense of well-being and produces do-nothing attitudes.

owl
01-31-2006, 07:24 AM

Yiiiiipppppeeeeeee, as I twirl my finger in the air. Talk about your false sense
of well being. Making the playoffs in the east at 7 or 8 means you should still be a lottery team.

owl

Unclebuck
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't care if a trade is not made before Feb 23rd, if the summer is a better time to trae jax and Tinsley, I'm OK with that. Plus i would guess tinsley's trade value right now is as low as it has ever been, if he can get healthy and play well that will increase his trade value this summer, of course that could work just the opposite if T does get healthy.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Bird's really going to come out and say, "Yeah, this team is pretty terrible, so I think we're looking to have a fire sale. First one to offer up a future 2nd rounder gets Granger AND O'Neal".

They've spent the last month dealing from a position of weakness. They're not about to put themselves in that position again on purpose.

This team is dealing with enough instability and adversity right now. He's not going to publicly say that anyone's job's might be in danger and add to that at a time when they need support from management, regardless of what their plans may really be.

Shade
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
"Whatever happens, we want to make sure our players play as hard as they possibly can when they're out there on the court. You've seen the games. They haven't been doing that and so we're very disappointed in that."

See? I told you this team quit a few games ago. ;)

FrenchConnection
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Bird's really going to come out and say, "Yeah, this team is pretty terrible, so I think we're looking to have a fire sale. First one to offer up a future 2nd rounder gets Granger AND O'Neal".

They've spent the last month dealing from a position of weakness. They're not about to put themselves in that position again on purpose.

True, but he could have said "we are always open to deals if good ones come along..." But I actually do think that we should play with this group for a while and see how it works out. I think if you read between the lines of Bird's quote he is saying "We are not going to win a championship this year anyway, so we should see what we have and rebuild this team in my image in the offseason when the better deals are made."

Will Galen
01-31-2006, 03:00 PM
[/b]I don't care if a trade is not made before Feb 23rd, if the summer is a better time to trae jax and Tinsley, I'm OK with that.[b] Plus i would guess tinsley's trade value right now is as low as it has ever been, if he can get healthy and play well that will increase his trade value this summer, of course that could work just the opposite if T does get healthy.

Basically I'm not okay with waiting until the summer.

What if Peja is the missing piece, but the Pacers are so whacked that Peja wants no part of us and opts out and and signs with Chicago and we get nothing back?

Reggie maintained Ron wasn't the problem. Now you can make a case of Carlisle's offense being the problem, but it worked well enough to win 61 games.

The problem seems obvious to me. When you have a bunch of players of equal ability and half of them are immature, any changes short of moving most of the immature players just will not work in the long run.

Now maybe TPTB plan on making changes this summer. That's fine if everything else stays status quo. However, there's a risk when you know what the problem/cancer is and you allow it to fester to long. For instant AJ has always been perceived as a team player, but he's become temperamental. (Getting a 6 men on the floor tech for getting off the floor to slow)

Will Galen
01-31-2006, 03:03 PM

This team is dealing with enough instability and adversity right now. He's not going to publicly say that anyone's job's might be in danger and add to that at a time when they need support from management, regardless of what their plans may really be.

I agree, unless their plans really are to wait until this summer to fix things.

Will Galen
01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
. . . in the offseason when better deals are made."

Better deals are not necessarily made in the off season.

The off season gives teams the chance to rework their whole roster without losing games like they would if they changed things during the season.

Plus there are more teams to deal with in the off season since some have reasons not to deal during the season. Phoenix for example isn't going to make a major mid season deal when they know Amare Stoudemire is due back in March and could be their missing piece in a championship team.