PDA

View Full Version : OT - For ANYONE who coaches/plays basketball

Young
01-30-2006, 10:37 PM
If you coach HS, rec ball, if you play HS or just casual or if you are just a parent who has a child that plays bball and want to see them have a better shot look no further.

Many of you may have heard of the "Swish" shooting video by Tom Nordland. It is the best 30 dollars you could EVER spend if your a basketball coach/player.

I don't really play organized ball. (I'm in a league but just for fun.) I play alot of pickup ball and lets just say that up until a week or so ago I was a worthless shooter. When I hit a shot that wasn't a layup it was with just luck.

So I decided to do something about it. I read Tom's website and decided to order the video.

I am starting to hit my shots now. I would pass up wide open shots and look to pass right away but now I look to shoot and am confident in my shot. In that short of time I go from looking to not ever shoot the ball to wanting to shoot the ball whenever I can. I'm starting to hit more and more shots everyday.

Here is the link to the site:

http://www.swish22.com/home.html

If you take everything else I say with a grain of salt, fine, but DO NOT take this post with a grain of salt. This is a awesome video because it is simple and if you think about Tom's methods it makes so much sense.

So, if want to improve your shot, your team's shot, or if you know someone who could use this wonderful video, give them the info. This is worth the 30 dollars you spend.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2006, 10:56 PM
What I did to perfect my shot was try to copy some of the shooting styles of NBA players. I tried everything from Reggie Miller, to John Crotty (damn his shot was AWFUL), to Peja, to Ray Allen.... I ended up taking John Stockton's shot and modifying it into something I could nearly perfect. I've since changed it and have a nearly identical shot to Ray Allens (with the little baby hop before the shot to get perfect rhythm and all). Video's were nice sometimes because they helped with the basics, but if you watch those video's first, then watch some of the NBA's best shooters you'll see exactly what to do.

Thing is, the shooting techniques help when you're shooting alone. Watching NBA players helps you perfect those techniques in game situations. When you get to the point where you can tell yourself you're not going to miss, and you don't, you've got a good shot. When you get to the point where you go through zones where you feel you can't miss - and it happens all the time, you've got a damn good shot.

01-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Just watch Shawn Marion.. perfect stroke!

18to88
01-31-2006, 02:48 AM
I would have to go with Billy Keller Basketball Camps as being the best. More than $30 though. He has a video for $20 on there, I've never seen it but I went to his camp 2 or 3 times and it was the best.

http://www.billykellercamps.com/

Evan_The_Dude
01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Just watch Shawn Marion.. perfect stroke!

LMAO

Moses
01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I prefer Dikembe Mutumbos stiff arm jump hook. I always laughed back in his Atlanta days when he would just stick his hand right on the opposing centers face and shoot a jump hook over him.

01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
:D But honestly! Shawn Marion.. The ugliest Jumpshot i have EVER seen in Basketball history, honestly. He grabs the ball and literally heaves it from the chest very quickly with two hands and flicks his both wrists a tiny bit without even following thru, instead he sucks in his hands back extremly quickly and ZERO rythm whats o ever and then he starts to run 500 miles/H towards the Basket to rebound it.. like if he knew its going to Brick! Haha

I shot like that when i was 8 years old! Ok if u have a different shot, but this is just sick! You can Master just ANY technique but the Ray Allen stroke is the way for a Shooter to always be consistant and always be confident with your shot... Shawn M. knows this and i know people have tryed to Help him with the Jumpshot but he still keeps shooting like that, its like if the bone structures in his Arms are stopping him to stretch out his arms or hold his arms in a specific shooting Angle! LOL

Moses
01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
:D But honestly! Shawn Marion.. The ugliest Jumpshot i have EVER seen in Basketball history, honestly. He grabs the ball and literally heaves it from the chest very quickly with two hands and flicks his both wrists a tiny bit without even following thru, instead he sucks in his hands back extremly quickly and ZERO rythm whats o ever and then he starts to run 500 miles/H towards the Basket to rebound it.. like if he knew its going to Brick! Haha

I shot like that when i was 8 years old! Ok if u have a different shot, but this is just sick! You can Master just ANY technique but the Ray Allen stroke is the way for a Shooter to always be consistant and always be confident with your shot... Shawn M. knows this and i know people have tryed to Help him with the Jumpshot but he still keeps shooting like that, its like if the bone structures in his Arms are stopping him to stretch out his arms or hold his arms in a specific shooting Angle! LOL
Believe it or not I actually find Iversons shot hideous. He kicks both his legs foward and goes into boomerang form when he shoots. One of the commentators a long time ago said it actually looked good and I nearly vomited.

01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Believe it or not I actually find Iversons shot hideous. He kicks both his legs foward and goes into boomerang form when he shoots. One of the commentators a long time ago said it actually looked good and I nearly vomited.

Yea, but that only proofs that he tries to find more power into his release / follow thru by kicking his legs forward...

Then i also think Jermaine Oneals jumpshot is weird. Well i think its pretty ok, its just... why does he take Fadeaway jumpshots all the time? I mean when he is open he takes fadeaway jumpshots!! Notice this next time u see him play.

AirLithuania
01-31-2006, 07:49 PM
THe Swish method isn't good. Infact for real organized basketball games - sorry to say this - it sucks. The problem with the method is that it is straight from something like the 60's. Nowadays a player has to jump much higher to be able to even put up the shot. It's just so mush more difficult to put up a shot, because defense is much more tight. Besides Tom Nordland teaches that your feet shouldn't be squared to the basket, but the problem with that is that you don't have the balance nor the quickness and explosion in your shot.
What I like though about the method is that it emphasizes the importance of taking strength to your shot from your legs. Many players often forget that.

Young
01-31-2006, 11:11 PM
THe Swish method isn't good. Infact for real organized basketball games - sorry to say this - it sucks. The problem with the method is that it is straight from something like the 60's. Nowadays a player has to jump much higher to be able to even put up the shot. It's just so mush more difficult to put up a shot, because defense is much more tight. Besides Tom Nordland teaches that your feet shouldn't be squared to the basket, but the problem with that is that you don't have the balance nor the quickness and explosion in your shot.
What I like though about the method is that it emphasizes the importance of taking strength to your shot from your legs. Many players often forget that.

Ovbiously I disagree with your first paragraph.

Yes the method is from the 60s, when there were good shooters. The reason he teaches you not to square up is because it opens your shot up more, elminating "varibles" and allowing you to shoot quicker because your body isn't so tense.

AirLithuania
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Ovbiously I disagree with your first paragraph.

Yes the method is from the 60s, when there were good shooters. The reason he teaches you not to square up is because it opens your shot up more, elminating "varibles" and allowing you to shoot quicker because your body isn't so tense.

I do agree that a player doesn't have to be totally squared to the basket, but I think his feet should be pointing at the basket although the right foot (if you shoot with your right hand) can be a slightly in front of the left. What does Swish say about that? I don't know the method that well.
Quickness is a relative term and a good quick shot is different for different players. For example athletic quite tall (6-5, 6-7 feet) players should release the ball at the highest point of their jump, while undersized shooters (even 6-3) should try to shoot on the way up. Nevertheless the player has to jump. Doesn't Swish teach that the best way to shoot is to release the ball at the point where the player is getting in the air that is immediately before "take off"? THis would make shooting hard to make under pressure.