PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Jones -- Tinsley pattern

Roy Munson
01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
It happened once again. About 10 days ago I speculated that there was some kind of chemistry problem or something going on between Freddy and Tinsley because whenever Tinsley was out of the lineup Freddy played a LOT better than when Tinsley was in the lineup.

Then, last Friday, Tinsley was out, and look what happened... There is a definite pattern.

ChicagoJ
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Probably just that they both need the ball in their hands to have the greatest impact on the game while they are playing.

Freddie probably is just stepping up when he's got the opportunity to handle the ball even more.

"Chemistry" problems historically have been used to describe when guys that like each other just don't play well together. Under Ron, and his cancerous approach to team play, we've really extended the definition of "chemistry problem" to include team cancers.

Roy Munson
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Probably just that they both need the ball in their hands to have the greatest impact on the game while they are playing.

Freddie probably is just stepping up when he's got the opportunity to handle the ball even more.

"Chemistry" problems historically have been used to describe when guys that like each other just don't play well together. Under Ron, and his cancerous approach to team play, we've really extended the definition of "chemistry problem" to include team cancers.

Right, I'm not suggesting that Freddy and Tinsley do or don't like each other personally. Your explanation probably has a lot to do with it. Bad chemistry doesn't necessarily mean bad attitudes...it might just be that the two of them are not a good combination to have on the floor together.

I checkout out my theory over the Pacers' past 20 games. When Tinsley is in the lineup (8 games) Freddy averages 26 minutes, 9.9 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.9 assists.

In games that Tinsley is out of the lineup (12 games) Freddy averages 29 minutes, 15.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists.

Unclebuck
01-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think it is anything personal between the two. But they just don't mesh well together.

I tend to think the team and its players are ready to move on without Tinsley. The team has changed, the offense has changed, Ron is gone, J.O is out for the rest of the season.

Anthem
01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
I know I haven't been around as much, but what? Rest of the season?

ChicagoJ
01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Eight weeks (minimum) for a torn groin muscle. It went "pop" in the Cleveland game.

ESPN is reporting it might be less, and JO's got a history of getting back quickly.

But this is a freaking groin injury (cue Sam Malone's groin injury rap), I doubt he's back this season.