PDA

View Full Version : why not offer Marcus Fizer a 10 day contract?

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't see the harm in offering Marcus Fizer a 10 day contract.

He is doing well in the D-League (19.8 ppg) and did quite well in the NBA when he wasn't hit by injuries, which seemed to happen to him a lot.

He's probably too injury-prone to be a keeper, there is little to lose in giving him a 10-day try, unless his agent wants a committment for the rest of the year since he isn't your typical D-leaguer. After two 10-day contracts, I think, you do have to sign him (and pay him) for the rest of the season, but even then it would probably be at NBA minimum salary. Of course we have the roster spot.

There is absolutely no need to sign another big if Foster, Harrison, Croshere, and Pollard are healthy and Danny Granger plays more minutes at the 4. If this all happens then the 4 and 5 spots are well-covered.

But with the injury issues of Foster and Pollard and Harrison's foul-prone-ness, I see a need.

Fizer is not a defensive stalwart but can score on the blocks and has a nice midrange game.

Anthem
01-30-2006, 12:02 PM
In all honesty, I'd rather not mess with it unless we get another injury. Danny can use the minutes.

naptownmenace
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope the Pacer sign Fizer or Hiram Fuller (a player they looked at drafting a year or too ago). Fizer would be the wise choice because he has NBA experience and score on the low block. He' a decent FT shooter too (73%) for a big man.

Kstat
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
You guys REALLY missed out on Chuck Hayes. The Rockets picked him up and he immidiately started putting up Reggie Evans numbers.

Seriously, how many 10-day contract guys can put up 8.3 rebounds a game? That's crazy.

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
P.J. Brown would be a much nicer alternative, and the Hornets are reportedly ready to rebuild around West and Paul.

But I'm not sure about the Hornets' price in trade.

Fizer is practically free, in the goofy world of NBA finances.

Pollard/AJ would work for PJ, but they would laugh unless they simply want to shave above 6 million more off next years' payroll (and DW doesn't!)

Kstat
01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
P.J. Brown would be a much nicer alternative, and the Hornets are reportedly ready to rebuild around West and Paul.

But I'm not sure about the Hornets' price in trade.

Fizer is practically free, in the goofy world of NBA finances.

Without Andersen, PJ is the only big man left on their roster that can play center. They can't move him.

Not to mention, the Hornets are a playoff team right now. Why would they kill their chances?

CableKC
01-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Ehh.....there's no harm in signing him to a 10-day contract. I think there is only so much time that Croshere can play before he starts breaking down.

IndianapolisCard
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
He is a little short to play alot of meaningful minutes at the 4 IMO. While listed at 6'8, he really doesn't seem to be much taller than 6'6 or 6'7 at most. While he has the heft, he is simply too small to play big minutes at the 4, and not nearly quick enough to cover the 3s on D.

Kstat
01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
He is a little short to play alot of meaningful minutes at the 4 IMO. While listed at 6'8, he really doesn't seem to be much taller than 6'6 or 6'7 at most. While he has the heft, he is simply too small to play big minutes at the 4, and not nearly quick enough to cover the 3s on D.

The most overrated attribute in the NBA is height.

IndianapolisCard
01-30-2006, 01:42 PM
true--height is overrated--but Fizer's problems in Chicago were that he couldn't guard the 4 (too small) and couldn't guard the 3 (too slow). I don't want anyone who can't guard...

SoThenRobbieSaid
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
In all honesty, Tinsley MADE him a draft pick at Iowa St. Just my opinion.

Rytas_Jega
01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
There were rumours some solid European teams wanted to sign Fizer a few weeks ago.

They didn't. Don't know why. Maybe he still has some dreams about NBA.

Btw, I can't realize the level of NBDL. I know they have some well-known players like Cleaves, Monia, Fizer and others. However, Cavaliers' Martynas Andriuskevicius averages 9.33ppg 5.33rpg 2.33bpg in 24mpg. He was too weak for Lithuanian Basketball League level last season with 4.4ppg 2.5rpg, not talking about Euroleague (1.5ppg 1.1rpg).

Eindar
01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
There were rumours some solid European teams wanted to sign Fizer a few weeks ago.

They didn't. Don't know why. Maybe he still has some dreams about NBA.

Btw, I can't realize the level of NBDL. I know they have some well-known players like Cleaves, Monia, Fizer and others. However, Cavaliers' Martynas Andriuskevicius averages 9.33ppg 5.33rpg 2.33bpg in 24mpg. He was too weak for Lithuanian Basketball League level last season with 4.4ppg 2.5rpg, not talking about Euroleague (1.5ppg 1.1rpg).

It's certainly not on the level of the Euroleague, and I'm not sure where it would rank amongst the minor leagues of Europe, having no idea what their talent level is like. I do think the level of play will improve over the next 5 years, however, as more rookies get sent down to develop, and more veterans take a contract there to stay in shape while awaiting an NBA deal. I think, ideally, the NBA would like the NBDL to be a small step below the Euroleague. Expecting more than that is asking too much, and expecting less makes the venture pointless.

3Ball
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM

No, the most overrate attribute in the NBA is physique. Scouts seem to fall in love with the idea of having an NBA body. But you'll notice that have a cut, male-modelesque body isn't the same as being strong. I think for a lot of players it's vanity more than anything. But think of all the great players that don't have a particularly cut physique: Duncan, Shaq, Reggie, Sheed, Tayshaun, Nowtizki, Nash, etc. Just a thought.

rabid
01-31-2006, 12:54 AM

Unless you play under the basket. 6'6/6'7 (if thats accurate) does sound pretty small for a 4. At the very least he'd need help on defense.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-31-2006, 01:08 AM
cause he sucks? wasn't he a 4th pick? YEESH WHAT CRACK WAS THAT TEAM ON? should have taken mike miller!

SwissExpress
01-31-2006, 07:21 AM

As regards signing an NBDL player, there's James Lang in the RimRockers. A big bulky center reminding Robert "Tractor" Taylor from last year's Cavaliers. He scores well and gets many rebounds; and he's strong and can't be easily pushed by anyone, so at least you have some kind of insurance that he won't be totally useless. And while he can't jump to much and isn't very fast due to his weight, he might be a good fit for some minutes for the Pacers unless they suddenly transform into a team that does Kings-style running up and down the court...
I don't know about his defensive abilities, however.

As regards the level of NBDL, it astonishes me how bad Pape Sow looks in the Raptors (well, at least statistically, as I haven't seen any of the Raptors games recently). He has a bit over 3ppg and 2rpg in a bit more than 10 minutes. He used to dominate NBDL, and I thought he would get at least 20 minutes in Toronto. I think, Raptors's fans were expecting much more of him too...

Also, could anyone tell me how exactly the relationship between NBDL clubs and NBA clubs work? When an NBA club sends some young talented but very skinny player like Andriuskevicius, Green or Monia to it's affiliate NBDL club, does it have any (formal or informal) garanty that their minutes won't be totally consumed by some older veteran players like Fizer? In other words, how much is NBDL team dedicated to winning as opposed to developing young NBA players?

PS: as regards Andriuskevicius in particular, I heard that he's been adding 5-10 kilos per year to his weight during these several years. Thus, while it's not so noticeable due to his height, I think his improvement is rather natural. Besides, his current team is probably the least-talented team he's been in during past 3 years, i.e. since he was some 17 year old...

SwissExpress
01-31-2006, 10:30 AM
PS: as regards Andriuskevicius in particular, I heard that he's been adding 5-10 kilos per year to his weight during these several years. Thus, while it's not so noticeable due to his height, I think his improvement is rather natural. Besides, his current team is probably the least-talented team he's been in during past 3 years, i.e. since he was some 17 year old...

Besides, I think that he is being used in a different position in NBDL than in Europe, no? In NBDL, he's mostly PF or even SF, as he spends many minutes in the court together with James Lang and shoots some 3s. And in Europe Andriuskevicius was played at center spot purely due to his height.
Maybe that change helped him too.
I've already heard before that he might be played at SF due to his passing skills, speed and 3pt percentage, but actually never believed that playing SF is possible for a guy who might be 7'4 once he stops growing...

FrenchConnection
01-31-2006, 10:56 AM
It's certainly not on the level of the Euroleague, and I'm not sure where it would rank amongst the minor leagues of Europe, having no idea what their talent level is like. I do think the level of play will improve over the next 5 years, however, as more rookies get sent down to develop, and more veterans take a contract there to stay in shape while awaiting an NBA deal. I think, ideally, the NBA would like the NBDL to be a small step below the Euroleague. Expecting more than that is asking too much, and expecting less makes the venture pointless.

You cannot really compare the D-League with any European League. It is like comparing the American Hockey League with the Russian Superleague or another high-level European hockey league. You see, the advantage of the D-League for palyer development is that they play NBA style basketball. Of course on some sort of objective scale the level of play in the Euroleague is much better than the D-League, but I think in terms of development of players for the NBA game, the D-League will become better in the next few years if teams begin to use it as designed. For example, it may be in the Pacers interests to bring Lorbek over and let him play a season in the D-League in order to get used to being hit hard in the low post to see if he can take the abuse.

Rytas_Jega
01-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Thank you Eindar and SwissExpress for your answers.

After some research of dry statistics I have a picture of NBDL. IMO, It is somewhere at ULEB cup (without its' weakest clubs) level, which means Andriuškevičius has made a lot of progress and is at the right place. The funniest thing is many Lithuanians on internet forums say Andriuškevičius would better play 10 minutes per game at Baltic Basketball League (which seems to be obviously weaker) instead of 20 minutes in that ridiculous NBDL. They mistakenly relate NBDL with CBA.