denyfizle
01-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Who's your current MVP?

SoupIsGood
01-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Billups

pizza guy
01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Billups is playing great and leading the best team in basketball.

Howeva, as much as it hurts me to say it, Kobe is having an outstanding year. It honestly doesn't get much better for a single player. He's got to be in first right now, especially with the 81 pt. game in his back pocket.

Pig Nash
01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Kobe, as much as I hate him you can't argue with what he's been doing with that bunch of scrubs.

sweabs
01-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Ron Artest.

denyfizle
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
My MVP is still Stevie Nash. Big Ben & Rasheed are as important to the Pistons as Big Shot but I must admit he's my very close second. But how can you doubt Stevie Nash? If Nash was our PG we would haev the second best record in the EAST- even with all the other injuries and turmoil we've had- if Carlisle was fired of course.

Lord Helmet
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Billups.

8.9_seconds
01-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Kobe, as much as I hate him you can't argue with what he's been doing with that bunch of scrubs.

Not to rip on your post or anything, but I think Kobe's done alot for himself, not much with the team, it's the Kobe show out there. I agree though, individually he is awesome.

Mr. Pink
01-30-2006, 12:19 AM
You gotta go with Nash right now. NO ONE thought that the Suns would be doin this good with out Amare. Nash is doin everything he can to keep that team in the ELITE.

Billups is making a hell of a case too.

Kinda wierd that it's two PG's making the best cases for MVP.

sweabs
01-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I think you left off a guy who deserves to be on your poll, by the way.

Dirk Nowitzki.

EDIT: I also think Elton Brand should be on the list, at least.

tinsley#11
01-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I would say Billups, however Steve Nash makes a great case he has the same numbers as his MVP season last year, but scoring is up 3 pts.

denyfizle
01-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I deliberately left Dirk out because it might insult him with all that "the NBA sucks because it's all about the individual" talk after Kobe dropped 63 in 3qrts vs the Mavs.

Kstat
01-30-2006, 12:27 AM
I keep saying Billups isn't the MVP, but nobody seems to want to listen. I may as well just admit he's the MVP right now.

DG-33
01-30-2006, 12:44 AM
1. Kobe Bryant
2. Steve Nash
3. Lebron James

Billups isn't even the best point guard in his own conference. That honor goes to the suddenly overlooked Jason Kidd.

sweabs
01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
1. Kobe Bryant
2. Steve Nash
3. Lebron James

Billups isn't even the best point guard in his own conference. That honor goes to the suddenly overlooked Jason Kidd.

So it is you!

Kstat
01-30-2006, 12:47 AM
So it is you!

Was there a doubt? :laugh:

Yep, Billups sucks.

....and Kidd is better based on...his rebounding? Steals?

Because Chauncey has him in every other category, including leadership....

Just wondering......

Then again, this is the same guy that said Rasheed Wallace isn't any better than Austin Croshere.

SoupIsGood
01-30-2006, 12:50 AM
So it is you!

Same thing I thought...

DG-33
01-30-2006, 01:08 AM
What are you guys talking about?

Fireball Kid
01-30-2006, 01:14 AM
You've got Pau Gasol and Jason Kidd on there, but no Dirk?

Wow.

Anyways, I voted for Steve Nash. Chauncey Billups gets a close second.

Kstat
01-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Seems the 3 most likely candidates are Chauncey, Nash and Billups.

Too close to call right now. I'd say Kobe, but if LA doesnt win at least 45 games, he's not getting my vote at the end of the year.

PostArtestEra
01-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Billups isnt Most Valuable Player because that team is in first place without him. The Most Valuable Player is Steve Nash because the sole reason the Suns are where they are.

ghost
01-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Steve Nash. That guy is pure :maniac:.

sweabs
01-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Seems the 3 most likely candidates are Chauncey, Nash and Billups.

I think you just answered who should win...

Anubis04
01-30-2006, 02:15 AM
not that Kstat is biased in any way....:rolleyes:

LjuboDaMan
01-30-2006, 02:44 AM
Pape Sow

N8R
01-30-2006, 03:22 AM
billups cause the Pistons are ridic. But he wont get it. I wouldnt be surprised if Kobe did get it just cause he is having a ridiculous personal year but he isnt the Most Valuable Player he is the best player in the NBA. MVP is a Steve Nash or Billups

SwissExpress
01-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Where's Elton Brand, Dirk?

I would vote for Dirk this time. He was near last season, and this season he's even better, he no longer has Mike Finley next to him and his team is the first in the West.

NorCal_Pacerfan
01-30-2006, 04:43 AM
Currently, I'd have to go with Billups.

317Kim
01-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Chauncey Ba Ba Billups

kept
01-30-2006, 07:04 AM
What, no Peja? I don't understand all this non-sense around Billups. He's not the most valuable player.

DisplacedKnick
01-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Well, I picked Nash because I think this is the year he should be MVP - last year should have been Shaq (seems wierd that the most dominant player of his era, and one of the top-5 centers of all time is gonna retire with just one).

But I did switch off between Billups & Nash - the problem is, with Detroit you need to select tri-MVP's - Ben, Rip & Billups. They deserve it, somehow - I just can't pick one over one of the others. Of course Bill Russell got plenty of MVP's and he had a heck of a team behind him. I may change my thinking on that by April - haven't thought much on it so far.

As for Kobe, the NBA needs 2 awards - MVP and player of the year (best player). Right now Kobe gets my POY vote.

Chauncey
01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Nash easily right now. If the Lakers finish with 50 wins somehow, Kobe will sneak in and get the award, but right now, what the Suns have done with Stoudamire out..Nash is easily the winner.

As for BIllups.

19 ppg and 8.6 apg? MVP? Are you freaking kidding me? Its arguable that he's even the best player on his team..or the 2nd best. That team is stacked. You can't get MVP on a stacked team unless you're AT LEAST putting up numbers as big as the top candidates from the rest of the league and he's nowhere near there.

Nash is averaging a full 3 assists/game more than Billups with far less talent to work with..that automatically ends the BIllups for MVP campaign coming from Detroit.

Stryder
01-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I'd still have to say Kobe Bryant.

With Nash in second.

01-30-2006, 08:49 AM

Kobe here to.. for same reason. But comon, 81 PTS!!!!

Kestas
01-30-2006, 09:36 AM
I deliberately left Dirk out because it might insult him with all that "the NBA sucks because it's all about the individual" talk after Kobe dropped 63 in 3qrts vs the Mavs.

Har, Har. very funny.

Unclebuck
01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
I won't vote for any player who is not on one of the best teams in the NBA. If the player's team doesn't win at least 55 games, I would not vote for that player.

So that leaves out James, Iverson, Brand, Kobe.

shags
01-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I'd have voted for Nowitzki, but he's not on the list. His team's tied for the 2nd best record, and he's the only all-star on their roster.

Fool
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I would vote for Dirk this time. He was near last season, and this season he's even better, he no longer has Mike Finley next to him and his team is the first in the West.

From Finley's play in San Antonio so far, no having him seems more of a boon than an obstacle.

Shade
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Kobe will win the MVP. You can't score 81 and NOT get the MVP.

SoThenRobbieSaid
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
There is still half a season left, but...

Okay, here's the dilly yo-yo. Nash has made no names, bench warmers like Diaw, Raja Bell, and James Jones into somebodies. So, if you were to go purely off that, use Nash has made the players around him better, which says a lot.

However, Billups has been clutch this year. If he gets hurt, NO WAY Pistons can still make a serious run for the title. How many times have we read about him going off for 12 + points in the fourth quarter to ice a game? He's the best player on the the best team in basketball, and his stats are very deceptive. He'll have <10 going in to the fourth, but end up with 25+. He's this year's Ben Gordon, but better. He's making all the right decisions, and doing it on a nightly basis.

So, in conclusion, I think it would come down to this, if Nash got hurt, realisitcally, Phoenix would still win games with Barbosa at the point, especially with Amare coming back soon. If Billups gets hurt, you take the air bags and anti-lock brakes out of the 150mph Corvette that is blowing everyone away. At this point, it's Billups for MVP.

Hicks
01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I have to say Nash. If last year earns him an MVP, this damned well better. He's better now, and doing more with less.

Chauncey
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
So, in conclusion, I think it would come down to this, if Nash got hurt, realisitcally, Phoenix would still win games with Barbosa at the point, especially with Amare coming back soon. If Billups gets hurt, you take the air bags and anti-lock brakes out of the 150mph Corvette that is blowing everyone away. At this point, it's Billups for MVP.

WHAT? WHAT?!?!??!?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me?

Did you really just argue that Nash' supporting cast is better than Billups'??????

SMH @ you

J_2_Da_IzzO
01-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Marion. Its not Nash thats leading Suns right now its Marion. His stats are just amazing this season.

21.5 ppg
12 rpg
1.7 apg
1.91 spg
1.95 bpg

.513 FG%
.763 FT%

CableKC
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm voting for LBJ....but off the record....I'm saying Billups.

Pig Nash
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Not to rip on your post or anything, but I think Kobe's done alot for himself, not much with the team, it's the Kobe show out there. I agree though, individually he is awesome.

Kobe is taking a team where Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Chris Mimh are starting, let alone playing, to the playoffs. And he's not even doing it from the PG position. All of you making the Billups/Nash arguments where you take them off the team and they falter, take Kobe off the Lakers and they would win about fifteen games. No player is more valuable than Kobe to his team, even if he's doing it in a selfish way.

Kstat
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Kobe is taking a team where Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Chris Mimh are starting, let alone playing, to the playoffs. And he's not even doing it from the PG position. All of you making the Billups/Nash arguments where you take them off the team and they falter, take Kobe off the Lakers and they would win about fifteen games. No player is more valuable than Kobe to his team, even if he's doing it in a selfish way.

....and the reason he HAS Smush as his PG and Kwame as his center, is because he ran all the good players out of town, in favor of a bunch of yes-men that will pass him the ball.

It's very easy to vote Kobe for MVP, and I probably will too, but don't act like he's some charity case, please. He made his own bed.

Pig Nash
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
....and the reason he HAS Smush as his PG and Kwame as his center, is because he ran the good players out of town.

It's very easy to vote Kobe for MVP, and I probably will too, but don't act like he's some charity case, please. He made his own bed.

I'm not trying to say he's a charity case, but he's doing more with less than anyone in the league, all I'm saying.

J_2_Da_IzzO
01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Marion. Its not Nash thats leading Suns right now its Marion. His stats are just amazing this season.

21.5 ppg
12 rpg
1.7 apg
1.91 spg
1.95 bpg

.513 FG%
.763 FT%

So am I the only person thats noticed Marion this year?

sweabs
01-30-2006, 06:17 PM
So am I the only person thats noticed Marion this year?

No...but he's not MVP worthy.

He's a good player, but he owes most of the credit to Nash and the style of play that Nash implements. To say that Marion is the MVP of that team is silly.

Peja_16
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I voted for Canadian Eh!

Rytas_Jega
01-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Individual statistics:
Lebron James: 41.9mpg 30.9ppg 6.8rpg 6.3apg 1.63spg 0.88bpg 49% of FGs 29.27 eff ranking #2 in NBA
Kobe Bryant: 40.8mpg 35.8ppg 5.6rpg 4.4apg 1.30spg 0.45bpg 45% of FGs 27.45 eff ranking #5 in NBA

Team Record:
Cleveland Cavaliers 25-17
Los Angeles Lakers 23-20

If not enough, one question: What would those two teams do without their leaders?
Lakers would buy lower quality superstar (It is about Los Angeles, I guess it wouldn't be difficult to sign one) for the money they pay to Kobe now. Or 2-3 average ones for that money. They still would be near playoff positions.
Cavaliers probably couldn't get any reasonable starting material for the money they currently pay to Lebron. They would struggle even in the East.

Mourning
01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Billups or Nash, but given the way Phoenix has performed without three of their starters from last year that did so well, ticks the balance very slightly in his favor in my opinion. Billups, leading the best squad at this moment in a stellar season for them.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Mourning
01-30-2006, 07:40 PM
WHAT? WHAT?!?!??!?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me?

Did you really just argue that Nash' supporting cast is better than Billups'??????

SMH @ you

I aggree that IS a ridiculous case he was trying to make. But, ahwell differing opinions and all that I guess :).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

SwissExpress
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Individual statistics:
Lebron James: 41.9mpg 30.9ppg 6.8rpg 6.3apg 1.63spg 0.88bpg 49% of FGs 29.27 eff ranking #2 in NBA
Kobe Bryant: 40.8mpg 35.8ppg 5.6rpg 4.4apg 1.30spg 0.45bpg 45% of FGs 27.45 eff ranking #5 in NBA

Team Record:
Cleveland Cavaliers 25-17
Los Angeles Lakers 23-20

If not enough, one question: What would those two teams do without their leaders?
Lakers would buy lower quality superstar (It is about Los Angeles, I guess it wouldn't be difficult to sign one) for the money they pay to Kobe now. Or 2-3 average ones for that money. They still would be near playoff positions.
Cavaliers probably couldn't get any reasonable starting material for the money they currently pay to Lebron. They would struggle even in the East.

In other, words, MVP is Chris Paul, because Hornets can't buy anything;)

SwissExpress
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, that selection does not have Chris Paul in it either.

In any case, if not for Nowitzki, I would give my vote for Nash. But in reality it will highly depend on how well Amare integrates into the team once he comes back. I'm afraid that in case he has some Webber-reminding effect (as in the Kings situation two seasons ago) and the team slips down a bit, Nash's chances will slip too.

Rytas_Jega
01-30-2006, 08:02 PM

It was just a compare of L.James and K.Bryant.

At first, Chris Paul should double his current points per game and then bring Hornets at least near 60%.

Jermaniac
01-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Kobe no question

Pig Nash
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Kobe no question

:gasp: Maybe we're not so different after all. :hug:

Rytas_Jega
01-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Btw, I can't agree with your statement "Hornets can't buy anything".

They have so much talent, they can give only 91 minutes in a half of season for the best European shooting guard who eats 2.5 milion dollars. 1.25 million for 91 minutes.

rexnom
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
This is a really tough question, I would vote for Kobe because the Lakers are going to make the playoffs solely due to him. Sure he may be selfish and of course he made his own bed but in the end, what player is more valueable to his team than Kobe? What would Smush, Kwame, Chris Mihm, and Lamar "I'm afraid of the ball" Odom do without him? It doesn't matter that Kobe is selfish or whatnot or what his contract situation is. LeBron shouldn't be placed ahead because he has a better contract. In a couple of years his contract is going to be almost as bad as Kobe's.

My top 5:

1. Kobe
2. Nash
3. Dirk
4. Chauncey
5. LeBron

Pig Nash
01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Your top five looks about right to me, rexnom.

Raskolnikov
01-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Steve Nash.

denyfizle
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
You've got Pau Gasol and Jason Kidd on there, but no Dirk?

Wow.

Anyways, I voted for Steve Nash. Chauncey Billups gets a close second.

I deliberately left Dirk out because it might insult him with all that "the NBA sucks because it's all about the individual" talk after Kobe dropped 63 in 3qrts vs the Mavs. Dirk hates personal achievements.

Rytas_Jega
01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I deliberately left Dirk out because it might insult him with all that "the NBA sucks because it's all about the individual" talk after Kobe dropped 63 in 3qrts vs the Mavs. Dirk hates personal achievements.

Nowitzki became 2005 FIBA Europe Player of the Year last week. I've just read an article about that. He didn't say anything about hating to take all Germay NT's shots or not appreciaiting this 2005 FIBA Europe Player of the Year award.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_oppA-0XcI6EVk04xL9SwE1.articleMode_on.html

Btw, Jasikevičius came second leaving Tony Parker, Andrei Kirilenko, Pau (not Pao) Gasol behind :)
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_WiLycjvdHpgoJENQOQr5V0.articleMode_on.html

Kstat
01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Dirk should turn down the award. AFter all, it's not good for team basketball that he get such an award....

Oh wait, it's only bad when its someone OTHER than Dirk that's getting accolades for individual accomplishments. I forgot.

Slick Pinkham
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Kobe will win the MVP. You can't score 81 and NOT get the MVP.

You may or may not realize that in 1961-62, the season that Wilt scored 100 points in a game and 50.4 per game, the league MVP was...

Bill Russell.

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_mvp.html

I think that Nash should get it.