PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end of KG in Minny?

Hicks
01-29-2006, 07:20 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/61050.htm

NO KEVINS HEAVEN - Peter Vescey

Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Garnett reportedly exchanged curse-filled comments with team VP of basketball operations Kevin McHale after a recent loss, with K.G. suggesting a trade.

January 27, 2006 -- Over the past few months, as it became increasingly evident the Timberwolves' imperfections were more than skin deep, numerous teams called to inquire about Kevin Garnett's availability.

All were told the same thing: We're not even going to discuss it at this time.

That suited Garnett just fine. In a recent public statement, he maintained his loyalty to the only NBA franchise he's ever carried (11th season, longest continuous service of any player in the wake of Reggie Miller's retirement) since transferring from high school to the pros, and resolved to remain a Wolf man for a life.

A noble stance considering his team's reduction in rank from perennial playoff participant (eliminated in the '03-04 Western Conference finals) to lottery level last season. Currently, the T'wolves are 19-21, tied with Golden State for ninth in the West.

Then again, that was before Sunday afternoon's postgame tongue-lashing by Kevin McHale. According to a source who got it straight from a Minnesota player, the Celtics' Hall of Famer and T'wolves VP of basketball operations barged into rookie coach Dwane Casey's locker room and barbecued the whole bunch for Heimliching a 19-point, late-third-quarter lead on national TV to the 76ers.

"McHale was real mad," said the hearing aide. "He jumped on the team for not finishing strong, for not being aggressive and for playing scared. He accused the team of playing not-to-lose instead of playing to win."

The wallop of McHale's expletive-deleted tirade was reserved for Garnett, at least that's the feeling he got. So he responded correspondingly. Already frazzled and frustrated by the ghastly loss and 13-point output on 5-for-15 inaccuracy (his lowest since New Year's night in Miami) and dismal production in the fourth quadrant, the last straw was a scolding.

"I ain't [bleeping] playin' scared," Garnett stormed. "I ain't [bleeping] playin' to lose. I ain't [bleeping] puttin' my head down. I'm [bleeping] tryin' as hard as I can every night."

Earlier this season, Garnett called out McHale on TNT for doing a poor reconstruction job of the roster - trading Sam Cassell to my Paper Clips for Marko Jaric really bugged him out. This time, Garnett reputedly called him out in front of the team, telling him coarsely what course of action he could take right then and there.

A T'wolves source denies this happened, or at least didn't hear it himself. He also denies that Garnett subsequently put an exclamation point on his defiance. The soul of his disputed message: "If you don't like how I'm playing, get me the [bleep] out of here, trade my [bleep]."

Emotional outbursts among teammates and coaches (not so much management) are commonplace behind closed doors in sports. For the most part, it's strictly temporary insanity. Not surprisingly, Garnett left the Off-Target Center that evening without talking to the media, an uncommon occurrence.

Yet team tension and futility have persisted. The T'wolves have lost two in a row since, a miserable 24-point defeat in Minnesota to the Flip Saunders-coached Pistons and a 20-point wipeout in Memphis.

Knowing something had to be done to stop the bleeding, McHale shook things up last night by swapping Wally Szczerbiak, Michael Olowokandi and a No. 1 pick for long-coveted Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks and Justin Reed.

This just in: The ghost of Hubert Humphrey slunk into the T'Wolves' executive offices and lambasted McHale for dragging his pivot feet on Vietnam.

Influx of fresh talent aside, if things don't improve noticeably by the time the Feb. 23 trading deadline rolls around, Garnett may very well be next to go.

My father always said I was no ordinary idiot. While that's debatable, it seems to me, despite averaging 22.2 points (16th overall) and 11.5 rebounds (fifth), K.G. is not good enough in the heart of the matter to salvage McHale's sloping Navy.

In a week where the league should have been celebrating the second-greatest single-game performance in its history, Bryant Park winds up with the shelf life of left-out Limburger.

While Matt Winick, the little old schedule-maker, did his best to allow Kobe Bryant and the league to bask in his basket full of (81) points - the Lakers don't play again until tonight against the Warriors - other forces were at work holding down the hype.

First was the rerouting of Rorschach Artest, whose mood swings have worn out many a mood ring. After a couple days of hiding behind the inexperience and incompetence of his newest agent, Mark Stevens, who did his damnedest to sabotage a trade to the Kings for Peja Stojakovic, he finally consented.

However, before the Brothers Maloof and Brothers Grimm agreed ,they demanded a personal pow-wow with Artest. How much would you pay for a printed transcript?

By my count, Artest became the first player in NBA history obliged to take a mental (I'm unsure he has to pass it) before joining a new team.

rexnom
01-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Am I a bad person for wanting us to trade J.O. (and prolly more) for KG?

Kstat
01-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Minnesota got two good scorers for one in that deal. They'll be a better team, just not much better.

Mark Blount will knock down a lot of open shots though, and that should make KG's life a bit easier.

Moses
01-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Mchale was questioning KGs passion for the game? I barely even ever catch any of the games but I know he's out there every night giving 100%. Thats what you get when you have Mchale as your GM though. KG is getting older now though...With that said I think he would be a perfect fit for our team because he's a great passer. Not entirely sure if I would trade Jermaine for him though because he's the face of our franchise.

Ant
01-29-2006, 07:36 PM

No, even though i'm a JO fan i would do JO/ and Tins or Jack for KG in the blink of an eye

Pingu
01-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Vecsey :rolleyes:

denyfizle
01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Jo, Tinsley, Jacko for KG??? That's like winning the Indy powerball!!!!

Anthem
01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
JO and Tinsley, no doubt. I'm not sure getting Jackson really excites them that much.

Besides, those salaries don't work.

rexnom
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
What do you guys think are the chances of something like this actually happening?

FiestyFosterFanatic
01-29-2006, 08:06 PM
slim to none.

Hicks
01-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I think if he ever is traded, no one can make an offer better than JO and Tinsley.

rexnom
01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
I think if he ever is traded, no one can make an offer better than JO and Tinsley.

1.) Would they ever trade KG? I mean really go through with it?

2.) Would the Pacers ever trade J.O.?

Personally I think Minny could trade KG...to start rebuilding or something. Then again, they just took on a huge contract (Blount) for no other apparent reason than providing KG with some help better than Olowakandi. However, I don't think we'll trade J.O. He is the face of the franchise...like Reggie was. Even if this is better for us basketball-wise. However, if there is one trade the fan-base would accept it would be a trade for KG.

Hicks
01-29-2006, 08:30 PM

I can't answer #1, but there's been rumblings for a while now that it could happen. It will if KG decides to tell management he thinks he needs a fresh start someplace else.

As for #2 absolutely. If LA had said yes, we would have traded him for Shaq a few summers ago. (Other players would have been included to make it work).

Outsider
01-29-2006, 08:32 PM

.... However, if there is one trade the fan-base would accept it would be a trade for KG.

KG would fit that bill of the Face of the franchise so fast we wouldn't miss a step from loosing JO.

Mr. Pink
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
If there was ever a way to keep JO through this trade...that'd be soo amazing. JO has really done a lot for this team and community. I'd feel bad trading him, but overall would like to do this.

Tinsley+Jack+Pollard+some 1st round draft picks or something. I don't know, just throwing something around.

rexnom
01-29-2006, 08:43 PM
If we ever would trade for KG it would take at least J.O. imo. Probably more. Though I do agree with Hicks that a J.O., Tinsley deal is prolly as good as if not better than anything else anyone would give.

Bball
01-29-2006, 08:43 PM
If we are going to go with a more 'ball sharing' type of offense.... and still integrate the inside-out style that Rick has been partial to.... then getting a big man that not only can pass, but will pass, is going to be essential. ...at some point.

Of course if JO would/could pass better then the offense would already have more sharing in it.

KG/JO makes a lot of sense from the Pacers side. If KG is trying to force a trade then I'd like to say that JO and another Pacer (Tinsley comes immediately to mind) would be one of their best offers. But then that depends on how 'they' rate JO... not us...

And then there is the injury thing... :cry:
Would Minnesota trade KG at the deadline for an injured player (or two)?

I'm not sure Tinsley's injury situation wouldn't scare anyone off at this point... altho filler/sweetner for a JO/KG trade might make it a little less of a gamble and more palatable for Minn.

-Bball

Los Angeles
01-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I see KG's situation as similar to Reggie's circa 01/02. He's got more value to the T-Wolves than just his basketball skill. He brings people in.

Shade
01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
No, even though i'm a JO fan i would do JO/ and Tins or Jack for KG in the blink of an eye

Ditto.

Shade
01-29-2006, 11:32 PM
If there was ever a way to keep JO through this trade...that'd be soo amazing. JO has really done a lot for this team and community. I'd feel bad trading him, but overall would like to do this.

Tinsley+Jack+Pollard+some 1st round draft picks or something. I don't know, just throwing something around.

It would be an extreme longshot w/o JO, but if so, it would definitely take Granger in the mix.

pizza guy
01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
If we could get KG, I'd do it. I'm one who wants to get rid of Tins and SJax both, so add either of them and it makes me happy. Losing JO is a hard pill to swallow because of the kind of guy he is. On the other hand, what has JO brought us? A couple chances at being a championship contender. Nothing more. Of course, I like JO as a player, and as a person, and I think he's stepped it up this year as the "team leader." It's a situation where you think, "Man, I hate to lose JO -- but, MAN I'd LOVE to have KG!" I think you do it.

Just for kicks and giggles, I checked it on RealGM and JO/Tins works for KG.

Reggie4Three
01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Doesn't JO traditionally perform very well against KG? That might be one thing that helps the TWolves perception of a potential Pacer offer if there ever is one on the table.

Mr. Pink
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Tins+Jack+Granger+something for KG and a filler. That'd would be a dream trade for me. It's all fantasy, but it'd soooo amazing if we could swing a three team trade and get Andre Miller.

Then we could trade AJ. Pretty much none of this would work.

pacerwaala
01-30-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/61050.htm

By my count, Artest became the first player in NBA history obliged to take a mental (I'm unsure he has to pass it) before joining a new team.

This is just classic! very funny! vecsey cracks me up.

Tim
01-30-2006, 01:48 AM
If we got KG I am not sure we would win anymore than we do now. Our problem is the formula (and injuries), not the issues some fans have with JO and a healthy Tinsley.

If we did get KG the team would still need to be tuned to work with him.

Mordecaii
01-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Tins+Jack+Granger+something for KG and a filler. That'd would be a dream trade for me. It's all fantasy, but it'd soooo amazing if we could swing a three team trade and get Andre Miller.

Then we could trade AJ. Pretty much none of this would work.

Trading Granger, along with Tins AND Jack is too much... we would lose too much in the trade IMO.

Anthem
01-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Trading Granger, along with Tins AND Jack is too much... we would lose too much in the trade IMO.
Any trade w/ Minny has to start with JO.

Jose Slaughter
01-30-2006, 03:31 AM
We lost our best chance. An Artest & O'Neal package would have done it.

CableKC
01-30-2006, 03:40 AM
I think that some of us can agree that there are very few players in the league that we would trade JONeal for and guess what? KG is one of them.....Lebron, TD and maybe Nowitzki are the rest ( its a matter opinion...so I don't want this to turn into a "R U frickin crazy? why would you want to trade JONeal for any of them?" thread ). This means that I would be willing to part with either Tinsley and/or SJax as long as we get back an acceptable starter in return ( as in a 2 for 3 deal ).

Gamble
01-30-2006, 08:30 AM
This would be great. We would trade 2 injuried players for KG.
Do they get a complementary doctor with the trade. Anyways I bet
DW would love to do it and has tried along with everyone else.

HEY ANT do you mind changing your Avatar. I am lucky enough to
be able to check pd at work but i won't for much longer if eye candy
is rampant on my screen. Thanks

Skaut_Ech
01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Let alone the Pacers getting him. It has been one of my great disappointments as a fan of the NBA seeing KG waste his postion defining talents in Minn not even getting a whiff of a chance at a championship.

Loyalty is loyalty, but if I was him, I'm started REALLY pusing for a trade. He quite simply doesn't have the pieces talentwise to do anything in Minn. He REALLY needs to go to a team with a higher talent level.

Frex, a Troy Murphy/Baron Davis (a version of our Tinsley/JO proposal) trade would work on RealGM and would make a lot of sense for GS AND for Minn if they would acknowledge that although KG is the face of the franchise and the point man of their marketing, he needs a change. He's going to be one of those great wasted talent stories.

(Keyon Martin/Andre Miller for KG makes sense for both sides too.)

KG is kinda like Mitch Richmond, who I thought was phenominal, but wasted all of his great years in Sac on crappy squads. (I don't even count the ring he got with the Lakers. He didn't play, sat on the end of the ben ch and collected a ring. whatever.)

KG needs to move and he needs to move NOW. I'm all for loyalty, but Minn management has no idea what it takes to put him in the position to win.

It actually pains me seeing KG allowing himself to become a footnote in NBA history.

naptownmenace
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
This would be great. We would trade 2 injuried players for KG.
Do they get a complementary doctor with the trade. Anyways I bet
DW would love to do it and has tried along with everyone else.

HEY ANT do you mind changing your Avatar. I am lucky enough to
be able to check pd at work but i won't for much longer if eye candy
is rampant on my screen. Thanks

You can turn off avatars in you control panel. I check PD at work 90% of the time and have avatars turned off.

Anthem
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
HEY ANThem do you mind changing your Avatar. I am lucky enough to be able to check pd at work but i won't for much longer if eye candy is rampant on my screen. Thanks
Really? I thought my self-portrait was pretty tame...

CableKC
01-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Let alone the Pacers getting him. It has been one of my great disappointments as a fan of the NBA seeing KG waste his postion defining talents in Minn not even getting a whiff of a chance at a championship.

Its unfortunate........but they did have a "whiff" of a chance at the championship. KG and the TWolves did go to the WCF and lost to the Lakers.....which is what you could say the same about the Pacers and JONeal.....we've never made it back to the NBA Finals since our last run with Bird coaching the team...much less with JONeal leading the charge. :(

OnlyPacersLeft
01-30-2006, 03:27 PM
yes...do you really want a guy who once attacked a teammate while he was recieving treatment on a trainers table? or a guy with THIS type of attitude? and isn't he older than JO? and what makes you so damn sure it's an UPGRADE?

rexnom
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
yes...do you really want a guy who once attacked a teammate while he was recieving treatment on a trainers table? or a guy with THIS type of attitude? and isn't he older than JO? and what makes you so damn sure it's an UPGRADE?

Wait. Are you doubting whether KG is better than J.O. or not? Please tell me I misread that.

Bball
01-30-2006, 05:18 PM

KG is older than JO. Slightly. I can remember stories where JO wasn't exactly the peacemaker in the lockerroom himself.

I don't think there is any doubt a KG/JO swap would be positive for the Pacers. If nothing else, KG is healthy....

-Bball

Kstat
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
KG is older than JO. Slightly. I can remember stories where JO wasn't exactly the peacemaker in the lockerroom himself.

I don't think there is any doubt a KG/JO swap would be positive for the Pacers. If nothing else, KG is healthy....

-Bball

I dont see why Minnesota would do it, though.

They get a guy making almost as much as KG, on a team that wont be improving with him, who won't be any happier on a mediocre team than KG was, and isnt going to sell any more tickets than KG.

Seems like a lateral move to me, plus the bad publicity of trading the best player in franchise history.

If Minny deals KG, it'll probably be for young prospects plus a truckload of draft picks. Trading him for another max player makes no sense, since they wont have an easier time building around JO than they did KG.

Then again, this IS McFail we're talking about. He's capable of screwing up anything.

CableKC
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
One of the good things about any "possible" trade of KG...whether it is this season or during the offseason ( if at all ) is that he will likely not be traded to a Western Conference team.

It is possible that KG goes to the Pacers? I doubt it....but we likely have a 7% ( 1 in 15 ) chance of getting him ( compared to a likely ZERO percent chance of any other Western Conference rival of the TWolves getting him ). :laugh:

It all depends on what the TWolves want to do.......trade KG to be competitive....or trade KG to completely rebuild ( hmmmm...that sounds familiar :rolleyes: ) If they want to trade to be competitive....then we maybe able to put up a decent offer.....but if they are looking to completely rebuild through young prospects....then we're likely out. My hope and $$$ would be on trading KG to be competitive in the next couple of seasons. The problem with Minny...just like it is with Indy....is that you can get some young prospects back along with draft picks and huge expiring contracts to sign free Agents....but its difficult to attract big time free agents ( unless you throw the bank at them ) to a small-town market like Minny. Rebuilding through attracting FA to your team isn't always going to work unless you're a team in a huge market.