PDA

View Full Version : Stojakovic hopes to lead Pacers to playoffs

indyblue47
01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
I just saw this on the ESPN board and hadn't seen it posted here yet!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2308980

Stojakovic hopes to lead Pacers to playoffs

Updated: Jan. 27, 2006, 9:16 PM ET
Stojakovic hopes to lead Pacers to playoffsAssociated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Peja Stojakovic believes the Sacramento Kings traded him to a playoff contender when they sent him to the Indiana Pacers for Ron Artest.

Peja Stojakovic
Small Forward
Indiana Pacers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
31 16.5 5.3 2.2 40.330 93.333

"When I heard it was the Pacers, I was really happy," he said. "It's a great organization, the team is great. I hope I can fit into the system pretty fast."

Stojakovic arrived in Indianapolis on Friday and sat out the Pacers' game against Cleveland. The Pacers decided he won't play until Tuesday's game at Washington. His first home game will be Wednesday against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I think we could throw him out there tonight," Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said before Friday's game. "He'd go out there and he'd have a good feel for the game. It would be hard for him on defense with the schemes we run."

Stojakovic, a 6-foot-10 forward, averaged 18.5 points and shot 39.8 percent from 3-point range during his seven-plus NBA seasons, all with the Kings. This season, he has averaged 16.5 points a game and has a 39.7 3-point percentage.

Stojakovic's presence will cause more lineup shuffling for Carlisle.

All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal will miss at least eight weeks with a torn left groin. Centers Jeff Foster, Scot Pollard and David Harrison and starting point guard Jamaal Tinsley all have missed games because of injuries.

Only Stephen Jackson and rookie Sarunas Jasikevicius have played in all 41 games for Indiana. The Pacers started the season aiming for an NBA championship, but reached the halfway point of the season with a 21-20 record.

Despite that, Stojakovic believes the Pacers are still a strong team.

"I've watched them the last three years," he said. "They've lost players to injuries and suspensions and they've always been able to win games."

Pacers president Larry Bird said the team pursued Stojakovic for the last two years.

"I think he'll make an immediate impact because of the skills that he has," Bird said.

Stojakovic has missed nine games this season. His list of injuries includes a protruding disc in his lower back, a sprained right pinkie finger and a strained groin.

But he said he is healthy.

"I feel pretty good right now after coming back from injuries," he said. "I've felt pretty good the last two or three games."

Now, Stojakovic wants to help the Pacers salvage their season.

"I'm ready," he said. "I'm ready to accept the new challenge. This is a fresh start for me."

Pacesetter
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Sounds like he's ready to get down to business!!!!! :thankyou:

diamonddave00
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
I have a feeling we may see a rededicated Peja Stojakovic in Pacers blue and gold. Hopefully with Larry Bird's personal coaching perhaps even a little of a post up game.

By the way the woman on my avitar is Peja's wife model Aleka Kamila.

Anthem
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Protruding disk in the back? Does that not freak anybody out?

Harmonica
01-29-2006, 07:15 PM

That's a strange picture. Looks horribly airbrushed.

BigDawg44
01-29-2006, 08:30 PM
might want to blur the background of that avatar a little haha...personally i kind of like it

indyblue47
01-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks DD00, now I know how Peja got that disc problem!!:laugh:

kerosene
01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Interesting, which defensive schemes are we running these days?

ghost
01-30-2006, 12:27 AM

Holy *****. I should have trained basketball harder.

Anthem
01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Back on topic, does anybody else think that getting into the playoffs is a relatively low goal?

obnoxiousmodesty
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Interesting, which defensive schemes are we running these days? I was wondering that as well. :hmm:

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Aleka makes Peja behave.

http://www.link2look.com/gallery/abc/228/3485_247x182.jpg

Hicks
01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Folks,

It's time for me to issue a friendly reminder that we want PD to remain work friendly, and that if these lovely lady avatars (which are quite pretty to look at, but regardless) continue to linger around, I'm going to have to ask to have them removed. They're nice, but they need to not be all over PD. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, and you guys know what you need to do. Thanks all.

- Mean old Hicks ;)

Anthem
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Folks,

It's time for me to issue a friendly reminder that we want PD to remain work friendly, and that if these lovely lady avatars (which are quite pretty to look at, but regardless) continue to linger around, I'm going to have to ask to have them removed. They're nice, but they need to not be all over PD. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, and you guys know what you need to do. Thanks all.

- Mean old Hicks ;)
Probably worth a sticky. I'll bump the old one.

EDIT: Closed thread, not bumpable.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13717

Gamble
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Protruding disk in the back? Does that not freak anybody out?

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't sound like its going to
go back in does it. Of course he is coming from California and
maybe it was a chiropractor talking. They always seem
to freak people out. Your skull is miss align and all that stuff.

J_2_Da_IzzO
01-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Back on topic, does anybody else think that getting into the playoffs is a relatively low goal?

I agree. Last season we managed to stay above 500 and reach playoffs thanks to Reggie and co. This year we have no Reggie but Peja and a rejuvinated Fred along with Saranus and Granger. We can still make a big push for the 4,5 or 6 spot and even get into the ECF.

I have a feeling when JO gets back that him and Peja will work very well along with Danny having a great run because of his improved minutes.

We can be looking at an ECF meeting with someone rather then hope for playoffs. Who knows Detroit might fall this year in playoffs and we win everything. Peja decides to sign on or we pick up Al. And we are favourites next year. And Artest is left without a ring.

Sounds like a fairytale.

Pacesetter
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM

"What chu talkin bout Willis?"

CableKC
01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
We can be looking at an ECF meeting with someone rather then hope for playoffs. Who knows Detroit might fall this year in playoffs and we win everything.

I hate the Pistons as much as any other Pacer Fans....but with the way that they are playing now....I already conceded that they will likely win it all. The only hope that any team can have ( yes...even the Spurs ) is that Billups, BWallace and/or Rip gets injured or that with the way that they have been playing...that they run out of gas by the time its playoff time.....and I have very little hope that either of those would happen.

This is on top of the liklihood that the Pacers pull it together and win while playing small ball with little to no Low-Post threat until the beginning of April AND waiting for Tinsley to recover.