PDA

View Full Version : If Peja deal fell through, G. State was ready to increase their offer

Unclebuck
01-29-2006, 09:09 AM
This makes me sick, sick to my stomach. Remember those rumors that came out Tuesday night about a half hour after the Peja deal fell through. Well if you believe Vescey, the Warriors were ready to increase their offer. Greg Rakestraw mentioned this Tuesday night also.

I would much, much, much rather have Diogu and Dunleavy right now than Peja. That is what the Warriors were going to offer, and that is what the Pacers had demanded.

I think I'm going to get sick

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/pfriendly_new.php

STINGING INDICTMENT
By PETER VECSEY

CONGRATULATIONS to Chris Andersen for becoming the first Developmental League player banned from the NBA for substance abuse. He's also the first since Stanley Roberts (Class of '99) to be deported for getting caught with drugs in his system, and we're not talking about marijuana, we're talking a killer drug — heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, something like that.

By rule, the Hornets' hippie is expelled for at least two seasons. However, the league office can show leniency if it's determined Andersen used the drugs because Kendra Davis may have been in danger.

A Warriors' baller claims Baron Davis rarely does anything asked of him by Mike Montgomery. His improvised playbook often excludes everyone except Jason Richardson and himself. That, in some measure, explains Golden State's uninspiring 19-23 record. Another determining factor, notes another source, is the college coach's incapacity to relate to pro players, or even remember their names in some cases. Montgomery appears on course to become the league's next head coaching casualty. Not to be outdone by his not-quite-namesake, Isaiah Rider was arrested by Marin (Calif.) County police Thursday and charged with kidnapping and battery.

Seems our old friend J(ust) R(eleased) was arguing with an unidentified female acquaintance and drove off with her, without getting her expressed written consent. Proud owner of an outstanding Alameda (Calif..) County warrant for resisting arrest, Rider was indeed released on $2 million bail. Rider, who last played in the league for the Nuggets in '01, appeared in court Friday without entering a plea or a lawyer. He also had community-oriented time with the Timberwolves, Trail Blazers, Hawks and Lakers.

By my count, Rider remains the only player to conclude his career averaging double figures in the all-important three P's: points, pot and possession of stolen goods.

This just in: Isiah Thomas thanked Hillary for standing behind him.

I find it amusing there wasn't so much as a peep out of Shaq following the Heat's home surrender to the Suns, a mismatch that saw him get a mere 11 field- goal attempts as well as a merger four free-throw tries.

While recognizing Phoenix had two dwarfs alongside the 7-story O'Neal most of the evening, and its strategy was to challenge Dwayne Wade and Udonis Haslem to beat the Suns from outside, you know damn well had Stan Van Gundy been coaching instead of you-know-who, Shaq's Squaw Box would still be pulsating off the hook.

A half-hour after the Ron Artest-Peja Stojakovic trade fell apart Tuesday, the Pacers and Warriors reconnected and vowed to get something done the next day if Sacramento terminated the deal altogether.

Despite being unable to get anybody from St. John's or Indiana to recommend Artest ("T.O. times three," is how an ex-Pacer brands him) sources say Golden State boss Chris Mullin was prepared to take the gamble. His only requirement was to meet with Artest one-on-one before meeting the Pacers' demand for Ike Diogu, Mike Dunleavy or Troy Murphy in a four-player package.

Artest should fit in very well in Sacramento (as long as Mike Bibby includes him in the offense; Peja was often left out and he wasn't alone). Coupled with the governor, that's two people in the capital no one understands.

Before we go, let's give props to last Tuesday's under-the-radar round-up (domestic violence) of former Knick and current Sixer Lee Nailon.

According to my calculations, Nailon has been in the league six seasons and it's the first charge he's taken.

Nailon was arrested by police in Lower Merion, Pa., where Kobe went to high school. Symmetry — it's a wonderful thing.

And what of those bounced Babcocks? A scant one day after the Raptors relieved GM Rob of his responsibilities, Player Personnel man Pete was also shown the showers.

Fascinatingly, the reason management gave when Rob Babcock was booted ("We never should have hired someone with such limited experience") was the same fresh-faced logic used when he was first given the gig.

Apparently, after 18 months of working with Rob, CEO Richard Peddie concluded Rob didn't have the leadership skills to lead a basketball operations department or credibility around the league to advance the team beyond where it is currently.

Once ownership established Rob would be fired, it felt it'd be disingenuous to keep him around until the end of the season when he could seek employment with another team's staff.

"Decisions regarding Jalen Rose, Mike James, perhaps others and first round draft picks, need to be made now (while the Knicks remain interested).

"The feeling was that Rob's not the best guy to be making them," a Toronto source stated, underlining Peddie's confidence in interim GM Wayne Embry, whose experience is vast.

Another motive behind the timing is to make it known around the league the Raptors' vacancy will be there when other GMs are considering their own futures — Nuggets executive Kiki Vandeweghe, for example — when they weigh their options come May, June and July.

In an unrelated matter, Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock, despite the best record in the NHL's western conference, has legally changed his last name.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

FrenchConnection
01-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm calling BS on Vecsey. In any case, I think that Donnie would have sat him for the year out of principle if the Sacramento deal did not go through.

Slick Pinkham
01-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Too vague to get worked up over. They had lots of time to make a decent offer. Maybe with Diogu in there they would have wanted Granger too, or multiple future #1 picks.

I'm happy it's over.

larry
01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
i like the 1 for 1 deal. if pedja doesnt pan out he leaves.

Roaming Gnome
01-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm calling BS on Vecsey. In any case, I think that Donnie would have sat him for the year out of principle if the Sacramento deal did not go through.

Vecsey is pretty accurate when it comes to the Pacers...

Also, it is foolish to believe Artest would have been sat down just for principle, business is business. IMHO, the Pacers would have dealt Artest for 3 bags of crap by time the deadline got here.

Mourning
01-29-2006, 10:04 AM
We would also have had the horrible contract of either Dunleavy Jr. or Murphy not too mention atleast one of our other contracts would have to be send to the Warriors aswell and I figure it would not have been Eddie Gill.

Diogu is great, but I think we made the right move in the end.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

sixthman
01-29-2006, 10:14 AM
This makes me sick, sick to my stomach.

No reason for that. We didn't need either Murphy or Dunleavy's contract, even if Diogu had been made available.

btowncolt
01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
It's easy to say to your fans you would have re-entered the fray after the deal is already old news.

DisplacedKnick
01-29-2006, 10:29 AM

You can call BS if you want but Vescey called the Peja trade talks before anyone else caught wind of it.

I hate the condescending SOB but I tend to believe him on this.

blanket
01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Depends on which fours players would've been involved. In order to get Diogu, certainly the Warriors would've both wanted another of our starters or promising young players PLUS required us to take back a bad contract.

I don't doubt the truth in what Vescey's saying - I just doubt whether it would've been the better deal. Can Peja play at least one game before we call this mystery trade a better one? Better still, can we wait until after this summer's transactions to see what the Peja trade did for this team (e.g., resigned, S&T, nothing) before closing the book?

diamonddave00
01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Ike (untouchable)Diogu is averaging 6.6 ppg currently , when he was rumored as being the Pacers target he was averaging 7.6 ppg, sorry the guy is a undersized pf at 6'7 1/2 , to me the Elton Brand comparisons are not accurate. At best Diogu is more along the lines of Wayman Tisdale a good but nothing special player.

Mike Dunleavy's deal to me is the reason the trade never happened. As far as Diogu ever even being offered , who knows.

If thats a big IF , Peja Stojakovic returns to form and resigns here , the Pacers made a better trade . I think we'll see Peja return closer to his form , interesting to note Larry Bird , himself wants to work with Peja on parts of his game. Does not sound as if Larry thinks this is a half season rental.

Pacesetter
01-29-2006, 12:32 PM
So Diogu wasn't untouchable ..... why am I not surprised?

That said, I'm relieved it's over and no other player was attached to Artest - for their sake!

Harmonica
01-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Eh, Donnie and Vescey do the dance. Donnie could have very well been using Vescey to try and keep interest alive if the Kings deal fell through.

Pacesetter
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
You can call BS if you want but Vescey called the Peja trade talks before anyone else caught wind of it.

I hate the condescending SOB but I tend to believe him on this.

I've never had a problem with how Vescey comes off. His opinions are just that. Atleast he knows a little something about basketball.

Anthem
01-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Hands down, I'd rather have Pietrus/Diogu than Peja.

btowncolt
01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Hands down, I'd rather have Pietrus/Diogu than Peja.

Can you still see the tree from way out there on that limb?

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I dont get everyones love affair with Ike. Believe me Im a big fan of his, Im studying at his alma mater right now, but he just doesn't fit in with this team. And I beleive hes going to have better averages than hes is getting right now (remember he got a late start and is still a rookie.) But he is an undersized 4, which right now is our only position that we are fully stocked at. Everyone complains about Fred being too small to be a shooting guard, but size is a LOT more important for a power forward than a 2 guard.

Granted, we could play JO at the 5 and Ike at the 4, but JO is a lot more effecient when he plays the 4. And that frontline would get pushed around a lot by other teams.

Now if you wanted one of the small forwards from GS, do you really think any of them are better than Peja? And if so, are either of them worth giving up another player plus Ron for?

I say no to both those questions...

Harmonica
01-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Can you still see the tree from way out there on that limb?

I thought you had skeedaddled.

DisplacedKnick
01-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I've never had a problem with how Vescey comes off. His opinions are just that. Atleast he knows a little something about basketball.

Being a Knick fan, my problem is when his Post columns consist of nothing more than stupid one-liners. I'm sure he thinks they're witty - I think they're inane - especially after you've read it for the 40th time.

Unclebuck
01-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Can I ask a question that I fully expect to be laughed at.

Right now is Peja better than Dunleavy?

btowncolt
01-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I thought you had skeedaddled.

Nah, someone had hacked my account.

DisplacedKnick
01-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Dunno - on a pure playing level basis they're pretty close IMO. Dunleavy's younger & more versatile. Peja does that one thing - shoot - much better (or has - this year they're about even).

Two things though that makes Peja the better pickup. First, if - and it's a big if - Peja can re-discover his form from 2 years ago, there's no comparison - and Indy desperately needs an outside shooter. Second, because of their respective salary situations, if Peja doesn't work out you can deal him. Dunleavy's A) a poison pill player now and BYC for another - and probably getting paid more than he's worth anyway.

The best swingman out of the whole group that's been discussed is easily Pietrus but everyone - including GS - already knows that.

Arcadian
01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
First off, I would much rather have Peja's contract.

Secondly, I don't get the what-if games. We don't know all of the facts and we don't know what direction management is going.

diamonddave00
01-29-2006, 01:27 PM
In my opinion yes, Peja is still a better player than Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Even this season Peja's stats are better , neither is good defensively. Take into account following this season MDJ has a new 5 year 45 mil deal kicking in.

Dunleavy --- Stojakovic
fg pct -- 41% ---- 40% (46% career)
3p % --- 24% ---- 40% (40% career)
ft% ---- 74% ---- 93% (89% career)
rpg ---- 4.7 ------5.3
apg ---- 2.7 ------2.2
steals -- .74 ------ .61
ppg ---- 10.6--------16.5

To me Peja still just 28 , can refind his total offensive game and can be resigned . If Dunleavy is worth 45 mil -9mil average per season , it seems reasonable Peja is worth around an 11 mil average.

Pacesetter
01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
If Dunleavy is worth 45 mil -9mil average per season , it seems reasonable Peja is worth around an 11 mil average.

I don't believe Dunleavy is worth 9 mill. If Paidya is worth 11 mil, he's in the same category as Rashard Lewis, and those numbers aren't close. Peja's a good player ... better in the right atmosphere. The Pacers should be able sign Peja for around 8.5 starting and maxxing out around 11.5 over a 5 year contract. This is IF he doesn't have long term health ills. This team doesn't need anymore players that are on the bench more than they play. We need ball players who come ready to play basketball!!!!!

Kstat
01-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Dunleavy isn't worth his contract right now, sure.

However, its about supply and demand.

Bird wants to resign Peja at all costs. Peja knows Bird wants to resign him at all costs. Those two factors will combine to get Peja a pretty hefty salary, IMO.

SoupIsGood
01-29-2006, 02:24 PM
If Pietrus isn't in the deal, it wasn't worth doin. I'm not quite as high on Doigu as someo f you.

Evan_The_Dude
01-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Diogu makes no sense for our team unless we have plans on having JO at full-time center. Dunleavy's contract sucks. The only way I would have considered this deal is if Pietrus was involved. But it's quite obvious that outside shooting is something we needed to compliment JO and spread the floor a bit. How do you think Diogu help us? Somebody please explain this. I watch him almost every game and just don't see how he fits.

Will Galen
01-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Obviously Bird believes he is. Peja is Bird's guy and has been his first choice for two years. Bird also didn't want to do more than a one on one trade.

You know Bird is slowly making this team over and getting the players he wants. There's a lot of talk that Donnie is still running things and it looks that way except Bird is getting the players he wants.

A note, With Peja on board the Pacers now have 3 of the top nine free throw shooters in the NBA.

[1] Peja, 98-105 .933
[8] Cro, 84-94 .894
[9] Saras, 88-99 .889

Pacesetter
01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Obviously Bird believes he is. Peja is Bird's guy and has been his first choice for two years. Bird also didn't want to do more than a one on one trade.

You know Bird is slowly making this team over and getting the players he wants. There's a lot of talk that Donnie is still running things and it looks that way except Bird is getting the players he wants.

A note, With Peja on board the Pacers now have 3 of the top nine free throw shooters in the NBA.

[1] Peja, 98-105 .933
[8] Cro, 84-94 .894
[9] Saras, 88-99 .889

Very sensible post, thanks Will!

Gamble
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Diogu makes no sense for our team unless we have plans on having JO at full-time center. Dunleavy's contract sucks. The only way I would have considered this deal is if Pietrus was involved. But it's quite obvious that outside shooting is something we needed to compliment JO and spread the floor a bit. How do you think Diogu help us? Somebody please explain this. I watch him almost every game and just don't see how he fits.

To answer your question some of us like undersized centers. I just
don't happen to be one of them. To me this team already pays
players to much and likes to extend contracts on injury prone players.
I like the peja trade because it involves alot less risk in money
and time.

Gamble
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM

[1] Peja, 98-105 .933
[8] Cro, 84-94 .894
[9] Saras, 88-99 .889

To bad they won't get fouled that much.

Los Angeles
01-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Exactly. The only way to get an advantage from these kinds of numbers is to create fouls or at least pull a "reggie" and get calls through acting/kickouts/whatever.

Those three dont' seem to have a history of doing these things.

Kingsfanbmiller
01-30-2006, 05:49 AM
You guys will end up happy you have Peja on your team. Dunleavy is like subtraction by addition, plus his contract is terrible.

owl
01-30-2006, 07:51 AM

On TV yesterday Rick hinted at using Peja in the small forward position and
then posting him up some since he is a large small forward. Thus he may get
more fouls also.

I have a question for everyone. Who will start at pf and who will finish
at pf Tuesday night?

I say Croshere and then Granger.

owl

NorCal_Pacerfan
01-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm glad we did the one for one deal...

Diesel_81
01-31-2006, 02:46 AM
On TV yesterday Rick hinted at using Peja in the small forward position and
then posting him up some since he is a large small forward. Thus he may get
more fouls also.

owl

They could do the same thing by playing Peja at the two guard spot at least on the offensive end.Peja and Granger could then flip flop positions on the defensive end if he's having trouble guarding some of the quicker two guards. They probably won't do this now with Oneal out but when he comes back I hope to see alot of Peja at the two and Granger at the 3.

For now I would think Croshere would get the start at powerforward and Harrison will start at center.

Skaut_Ech
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Very sensible post, thanks Will!

waitaminute...did I read "sensible post" and "Will" in the same sentence? That's a first.

:mischievo:whistle::)

naptownmenace
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM

[1] Peja, 98-105 .933
[8] Cro, 84-94 .894
[9] Saras, 88-99 .889

Excellent point Will.

Bird is trying to remake this team into the image of the 2000 Finals team. Load up the team with veterans that are good shooters, FT shooters, with 3 point range, add a couple of defensive specialists, and VOILA! NBA Finals here we come. ;)

Unclebuck
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm bumping this thread just for fun.

Yes this is a year ago.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 12:44 PM
How interesting.

We couldn't have gotten rid of Jackson, though.

Unclebuck
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I was also trying to find the thread from a few weeks prior to this one when the G. State rumors were very hot - but I don't remember who started the thread

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Jackson for Murphy

Ron for Peja for Al for DunDun and Ike

So it all worked out for you after all. Did it even take a full year?

jjbjjbjjb
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Uh, didn't we lose a No. 1 for our troubles as well?

Putnam
01-26-2007, 02:37 PM
All's well that ends well, eh, UncleBuck?

JayRedd
01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Uh, didn't we lose a No. 1 for our troubles as well?

Yes...And it's rather unfortunate.

We also earned the right to pay former VP Candidate and Crossing Over host John Edwards $1 million this year.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 05:22 PM

We also earned the right to pay former VP Candidate and Crossing Over host John Edwards $1 million this year.
Which cost much less than that, because the NBA picks up part of that.

Basically, we spent one late first-round pick to trade our troublesome shooting guard for Golden State's power forward. Works for me.

Evan_The_Dude
01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
^^ That's how I see it. We traded our draft pick for a player we would have drafted if we had been in the position to do it. It just looks like a 2005 draft day deal where we traded a player for a draft pick, then selected Diogu & Granger ourselves. Eh, you get my point by now.

CableKC
01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Maybe I'm stretching....or finding ways to lessen the trade of the 2007 1st round pick:

Artest ( through Peja that was used to get Harrington )+SJax+Sarunas+Powell+2007 1st round draft pick

for

Dunleavy+Murphy+McLeod+Ike

Indirectly...at least for the draft pick...we could look at it like we traded our 2007 1st round draft pick ( that will likely fall between the 14th to 20th pick ) for the 8th pick in the 2005 draft.

:shrug:

maragin
01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I think that the "what we got" section should include the few months of Harrington and the few months of Peja. Peja's time here last year definitely had value, in my eyes. Barring his injury, I think we would have advanced to the next round of the playoffs.

docpaul
01-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Well, actually.. we got Keith McLeod for the first round draft pick given that line of reasoning... heh.

Kegboy
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Considering Jose was willing to trade Jack and a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick, Jack and a 1st for Troy Murphy ain't too shabby.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Considering Jose was willing to trade Jack and a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick, Jack and a 1st for Troy Murphy ain't too shabby.
My thought exactly.

Shack80
01-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Dammit UB. It took me a couple of munitues to realise this thread was a year old. I was so very confused.

I think it is all working out OK. WOuld love to still have the pick, but I think that is being way overrated.

sixthman
01-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Which cost much less than that, because the NBA picks up part of that.

I don't think the NBA is picking up part of John Edwards salary. He hasn't been in the league to qualify as a veteran.

Jackson and a first for Murphy? That would have been okay with me. I wanted the Jackster moved on badly enough to give up that pick.

quiller
01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I dont get everyones love affair with Ike. Believe me Im a big fan of his, Im studying at his alma mater right now, but he just doesn't fit in with this team. And I beleive hes going to have better averages than hes is getting right now (remember he got a late start and is still a rookie.) But he is an undersized 4, which right now is our only position that we are fully stocked at. Everyone complains about Fred being too small to be a shooting guard, but size is a LOT more important for a power forward than a 2 guard.

Granted, we could play JO at the 5 and Ike at the 4, but JO is a lot more effecient when he plays the 4. And that frontline would get pushed around a lot by other teams.

Now if you wanted one of the small forwards from GS, do you really think any of them are better than Peja? And if so, are either of them worth giving up another player plus Ron for?

I say no to both those questions...

First I prefer Murphy

hmm one word about undersized power fowards.. Sir Charles.... still he is a little undersized but if I am not mistaken plays taller due to a large wing span. I hope it is years away from him being a starter but he can be a dependable back up to JO..and sometimes play in rotation with JO depending upon match ups.. and eventually reach the level of say a McDyess.

Major Cold
01-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Other undersized PF?

Malik Rose, Brand (small hands so lets trade him for this Tyson Chandler guy)

What others? Battier played PF in college but made the transition pretty good (not saying that is what Ike will do)

BlueNGold
01-27-2007, 12:14 AM
I find it bizarre that people think Ike cannot be a solid PF. He is listed at the same size as Elton Brand (6'8" 255lbs.), who is a flat out all star.

The big deal with Ike is his wingspan of 7' 3 1/2" and amazing standing reach of over 9'. Here is an interesting link: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1004

SycamoreKen
01-27-2007, 12:50 AM
I find it bizarre that people think Ike cannot be a solid PF. He is listed at the same size as Elton Brand (6'8" 255lbs.), who is a flat out all star.

The big deal with Ike is his wingspan of 7' 3 1/2" and amazing standing reach of over 9'. Here is an interesting link: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1004

Not to mention that Boozer is the same size, and Ike is larger than other guys that are a couple of inches taller. He is about average for a PF. It isn't how big you are, it's how big you play. There are plenty of tall guys that don't play big. Hopefully Ike can.

Anthem
01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
There are plenty of tall guys that don't play big.
:troymurphy:

Arcadian
01-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, if we had origionally traded Artest to Golden State in a simillar deal that included Jackson they could still ride together. In that sense, Donnie did all sports entertainment fans wrong.

denyfizle
01-27-2007, 05:05 AM
it's all good at least we got rid of Jack and Runi. I liked Runi but he was indeed a chemistry prob for our team given the coach we have and what he wanted Runi to do. one last piece to move. if we get MelMel out for a real PG that distributes the ball, wont turn it over and can defend, we'll be good.

BlueNGold
01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
There are plenty of tall guys that don't play big. Hopefully Ike can.

Yes, Troy Murphy is a very small 6'11" guy. No doubt Ike plays bigger.

But, what about David Harrison and his T-Rex arms? He's huge and can block shots because he can sky, but I bet his wingspan and standing reach are less than Ike's.

Anthem
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Yes, Troy Murphy is a very small 6'11" guy. No doubt Ike plays bigger.

But, what about David Harrison and his T-Rex arms? He's huge and can block shots because he can sky, but I bet his wingspan and standing reach are less than Ike's.

Where's the Hadriatic cube when you need it?

Unclebuck
01-27-2007, 01:49 PM
There is nothing more overrated in the game of basketball than the height of players. I wish they didn't even list the heights. Wingspan is is a little more important - you have tol you see a player on the court