PDA

View Full Version : For the Harrison Haters...

sixthman
01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Quote from Rick's post game press conference tonight:

David Harrison always gives you every single ounce of energy he has.

Seems to me we are on the right track letting this kid get some playing time. The PT is definitely helping Harrison's game. I'd still argue he is a keeper.

Los Angeles
01-28-2006, 12:18 AM
He uses that energy to leave his feet at every pump fake no matter how obvious.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :devil:

SoupIsGood
01-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Thank you! Great quote!

I'm glad that Rick finally saw the light, as far as playing David.

DG-33
01-28-2006, 12:21 AM
David is showing signs of being a good center. Just to continue giving him valuable playing time, and continue working on his conditioning.

317Kim
01-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah, on the way home there was a comparison b/w how Jeff had early foul trouble when he first started too.

GO HULK! KEEP SMASHIN!

sixthman
01-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Thank you! Great quote!

I'm glad that Rick finally saw the light, as far as playing David.

Rick has been good about David's PT, I think. David just has to watch the fouls.

In defense of David though, he has always been willing to make anyone who comes down Meridian Street pay. I think that it is important that we maintain a defensive presence in the middle if we are going to have a chance to be competitive.

SoupIsGood
01-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Rick has been good about David's PT, I think. David just has to watch the fouls.

In defense of David though, he has always been willing to make anyone who comes down Meridian Street pay. I think that it is important that we maintain a defensive presence in the middle if we are going to have a chance to be competitive.

Yeah, he certainly doesn't shy away from that :laugh:

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Shaq had his fair share of difficulties when he came into this league too, but Mr. Dave gave a great effort tonight, and I actually saw some poise out of him .... floored me!

:D

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Yeah, he certainly doesn't shy away from that :laugh:

He about knocked LeBrons face off coming through the lane ...lol. ... that was a pretty good one, but he's lucky the refs didn't catch it, and/or Lebron didn't grab his face and flop.

317Kim
01-28-2006, 01:29 AM
He had some nice blocks that were ALL BALL but the ref called it as a foul. He's Hulk..he will SMASH YOU!

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 01:31 AM
He's Hulk..he will SMASH YOU!

:laugh: you go girl ... tell it .... ;)

SoupIsGood
01-28-2006, 01:32 AM
He had some nice blocks that were ALL BALL but the ref called it as a foul. He's Hulk..he will SMASH YOU!

That one on LeBron.... I couldn't decide if he had all ball or not, but was surprised he actually got to it. LeBron gets the ball really high in the air on that dunk.

317Kim
01-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah ALL BALL BABY! he didnt even catch Lebrons hand until after the call.

Did you guys see how Runi kicked Z's butt (playful way) after Z fouled him while trying to get a fastbreak? :laugh:

pizza guy
01-28-2006, 01:40 AM
I really like the Hulk. Given some time, I think he will develope into a wonderful player for us. Also, with the playing time, I hope the refs start giving him some respect. I still want to see a 3-4-5 combo of DG, JO, Hulk as the starting low-post line up. He's such a force inside, if for no other reason but he's HUGE. He clears space and positions himself nicely, and with some good PT, he could develope a nice offensive game down low.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Im glad RC is finally giving Harrison minutes, its obvious that he is benefitting from it. Although I get the feeling Rick is doing it reluctantly for some reason. Did anyone see when Rick was ready to send Pollard in after Hulk got one of his last fouls (4th or 5th)? But then Harrison drew the offensive foul on Z the next play and Rick brought Pollard back to the bench

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Im glad RC is finally giving Harrison minutes, its obvious that he is benefitting from it. Although I get the feeling Rick is doing it reluctantly for some reason. Did anyone see when Rick was ready to send Pollard in after Hulk got one of his last fouls (4th or 5th)? But then Harrison drew the offensive foul on Z the next play and Rick brought Pollard back to the bench

I saw that ... did you see when Pollard sat down he put a cushion behind his lower back? I think RC had to choose between the lesser of two evils, Dave's propensity for fouling and Pollard's fubar'd back.

Bball
01-28-2006, 02:08 AM
I saw that ... did you see when Pollard sat down he put a cushion behind his lower back? I think RC had to choose between the lesser of two evils, Dave's propensity for fouling and Pollard's fubar'd back.

I found it telling that Pollard's back was a concern yet he was ready and willing to play.

-Bball

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 02:33 AM
I found it telling that Pollard's back was a concern yet he was ready and willing to play.

I can see Pollard going to Coach Carlisle and saying, "coach, I can give you 20 minutes tonight, but I'll probably need 4 games to heal up, but you make the call."

It was definitely telling though, he showed everyone he has a problem with his back but he's still ready to risk it for the team. I didn't see him wincing in pain out there either, so hopefully he'll be back on Tuesday.

CableKC
01-28-2006, 02:42 AM
I guess this is the silver lining that we can take from JONeal being out.......Carlisle has no choice but to play him now. He may foul out....but we're gonna see what he is capable of.

Jose Slaughter
01-28-2006, 02:57 AM
What will be nice is when we get Peja into the mix at the 3 & Jones at the 2. Spread that floor a little & give the big fella a little room to do his thing down on that block.

Lets see what kind of passer he is when the doubles start comin'

Unclebuck
01-28-2006, 09:31 AM
As someone who gets very frustrated with Harrison, I can admit that he played very well last night, but he's still frustrating. Is there a good reason why he doesn't try to dunk the ball when he gets it close to the basket. Instead he throws up some weak and soft shots. But he plays hard and that is always the first thing I want and look for

SycamoreKen
01-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Did anyone else notice Z. holding his throat after David went into him and scored at the end there. His forearm caught him when he went up. Of course, had Z. done the same to him it would have been and "and 1", but I like how he kept working hard and didn't let the calls kill him.

By the way, Tom Tolbert has now passed Walton as my most disliked announcer. To call David's charge draw a flop was a joke.

Pacesetter
01-28-2006, 11:32 AM
By the way, Tom Tolbert has now passed Walton as my most disliked announcer. To call David's charge draw a flop was a joke.

yeah, I heard that too. That was good defense, and he just missed the call.

Tom had some interesting things to say; he liked Danny! He made several comments about Danny's ability, and how Danny was considered a steal.

Bill Walton is just an act. He just likes to stir stuff up, he's really not nearly as dumb as he sounds and he's always straight about playing good offense and defense. He enjoys teams/players that play fundamentally sound basketball, but is a chump to those that play street ball, or me basketball.

Kegboy
01-28-2006, 11:57 AM
David Harrison always gives you every single ounce of energy he has.

But see, that depends on what your definition of "always" is. [/Clinton]

:rolleyes:

McKeyFan
01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Tom Tolbert has now passed Walton as my most disliked announcer.

He's probably my favorite, behind Doug Collins. (He may have missed that charge call, whatever.) I have Direct TV and watch a lot of commentators and can hardly stand any of them. To have Mussberger and Tolbert last night was a real treat, IMO.

Unclebuck
01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I like Muss and Tolbert. They do a good job. Although I didn't hear them last night

Hicks
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
I like Tolbert.

Anthem
01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I like Muss and Tolbert. They do a good job. Although I didn't hear them last night
They were wretched.

Moses
01-28-2006, 06:28 PM
To be honest, I think Hulk is becoming a decent low post threat. He was playing against big Z, a guy his size so he couldn't really abuse him that much. If he played as well as he did last night against one of the NBA's smaller centers, he would have gotten 20 on him.

BlueNGold
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Expectations for DH seem a little unrealistic. Some people expect him to play like Shaq, and that will NEVER happen. He is not nearly as big as Shaq and David has short arms. Neverthless, he is a big body who is now a decent backup C and will be a decent (maybe average) starting C in this league if he learns how to avoid fouls and plays with more savvy. If he tames the foul demons, and works really hard on his overall game, he might become an above average starting C in the league. ...but he will never be close to Shaq-like.

...and many good NBA players don't begin producing until about their 3rd year in the league...and DH has not even played a full season yet. Let's cut the guy some slack.

Moses
01-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Expectations for DH seem a little unrealistic. Some people expect him to play like Shaq, and that will NEVER happen. He is not nearly as big as Shaq and David has short arms. Neverthless, he is a big body who is now a decent backup C and will be a decent (maybe average) starting C in this league if he learns how to avoid fouls and plays with more savvy. If he tames the foul demons, and works really hard on his overall game, he might become an above average starting C in the league. ...but he will never be close to Shaq-like.

...and many good NBA players don't begin producing until about their 3rd year in the league...and DH has not even played a full season yet. Let's cut the guy some slack.
If he plays every game with as much energy as he had last night, How can you not say he isn't going to be a damn good starting center? Nowhere near Shaq, but he will be better then your average center.

CableKC
01-28-2006, 09:34 PM
It takes time for Big Men that are true centers to develop. This is his 2nd season....and clearly...if given the opportunity.....he will do better. He will probably turn out to be a servicable Big Man that can easily provide 6 fouls but given his size.....he can cause problems for other players. I just hope Bird/Walsh has the patience to develop in the 4+ years left on his contract.

owl
01-28-2006, 10:53 PM
But then Harrison drew the offensive foul on Z the next play and Rick brought Pollard back to the bench
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Of all the things David did last night watching him draw a charging fall brought the biggest smile to my face. He can be taught :-)
He really does need to learn to collect himself and dunk it when he is under
the basket. His arms are too short lay the ball up. Mash the ball through the
hoop after leveraging the defender off balance. He has the body to do it.

owl

BlueNGold
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
If he plays every game with as much energy as he had last night, How can you not say he isn't going to be a damn good starting center? Nowhere near Shaq, but he will be better then your average center.
First, I am a big DH fan. I actually do think he is likely to be a good C....and the energy is great...and he has an offensive game already and it could get much better. So, I am definitely pro DH.

My problem is that those who slam on him are not even giving him a chance to develop...just like Primoz...but in this case, I think DH has more potential. ....so at bottom, we need to keep the expectations in line with where he is from a developmental standpoint. He may start for us at C, but he is just a good backup at this point. He has short arms and does not rebound well, he fouls way too much and has shown mental lapses including immature outbursts on the court. ...but I think he can work around most of these issues to become a very good C.

BlueNGold
01-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Of all the things David did last night watching him draw a charging fall brought the biggest smile to my face. He can be taught :-)

That was huge, positive sign for DH. It was one of my favorite plays of the game. That and Granger's block of LJ...that was not replayed for some reason...but is posted on www.pacers.com (http://www.pacers.com).

brichard
01-28-2006, 11:30 PM
I've never been a David hater, but I just never understood all the love for an unproven talent. Obviously as a Pacer fan I hope he improves by leaps and bounds.

But, phrases like "he needs a little more time" and "they just need to gel" make me :shudder:

I hope he becomes an All Star, but it seems like it is almost a Proverb to find unsuccesful men with potential on the Indiana Pacers. I think his emotion will be the thing that ends up being his Achilles Heel with this team b/c we are already fairly well stocked in that category already.

MaHa3000
01-29-2006, 12:00 AM
One thing that I've noticed about DH is that he spints down the floor mostly every play. Not just last night , I started noticing it a couple of weeks ago. The dude is bookin' to get on defence. I laugh _ I can't help it. I think its great though, I wish JO would hustle like that.

SoupIsGood
01-29-2006, 12:02 AM
One thing that I've noticed about DH is that he spints down the floor mostly every play. Not just last night , I started noticing it a couple of weeks ago. The dude is bookin' to get on defence. I laugh _ I can't help it. I think its great though, I wish JO would hustle like that.

I laugh too, it looks funny :p

McKeyFan
01-29-2006, 01:44 PM
They were wretched.

Well, I guess everyone has their own tastes. I would reserve "wretched" for commentators like John Thompson.

ChicagoJ
01-29-2006, 04:22 PM
The damn cat just stepped on escape and erased my whole post. I'll try again.

ChicagoJ
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I wanted to re-state somethings I've read above...

Everyone generally acknowledges that it takes a C two to four seasons to truly adjust to the NBA.

David's on year #2, and he's already earned a spot in the rotation - even if he's not yet a 'legit' starter.

He needs patience, both from his coaches and Pacers fans, before anyone can figure out if he's going to get it or not. We're not going to win a championship this season anyway, so he might as well be allowed to foul out of every game the rest of the season, unless he really goes into a slump to where he's huring the team instead of helping them (and then he should play on a 'limited minutes' basis.)

Those of you that are on his case should re-think this. It takes time, but in an NBA with only a handful of legit low-post centers, even if David is only 'average' that puts him at about the sixth best starting C in the league - at least half the starting C's are just PFs playing C in name only.

Hicks
01-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I usually dismiss what he says, but while watching the Kings @ Celtics game Friday, Tommy Heinson made a great point about young big men. He was referring to Al Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins, but his words immediately made me think of David Harrison.

He said (heavily paraphrased), "They're like your little one learning to walk. He'll take a few steps, and you're cheering for him, and then he falls down. He gets up, takes some more steps, you cheer him, and he will fall again. But you know what? Soon they're walking, and later running all over the place. You just keep cheering them on and being patient until they get it."