PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else not so concerned about the Pistons after today?

Shade
04-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Or is it just me? :whoknows:

Hicks
04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Kinda. I was much less impressed with their D when I saw it consists of flopping-- and fouling every time because the refs won't call it. Not that that's ALL of thier D, but it's a very noticable piece.

Past that, our D wasn't awful (they only scored 79 themselves), and I'm willing to bet our O can look a lot better against them when we have all of our pieces.

sixthman
04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I'm concerned. Always have been. Anyone who thinks our guards are on the same level as theirs is nuts.

beast23
04-04-2004, 04:45 PM
No offense, but how can anyone who watched this game not be impressed with the Pistions defense? As a game progresses, you adjust your play to stretch to the limits of what is being allowed by the officiating crew. Today, very physical play was being allowed near the basket. The Pistons certainly took far better advantage of that than we did.

On the other hand, regardless of the Pistons defense, the Pacers had more than their share of open shots..... which we were more than willing to miss.

The negative I see in this game is that the Pistons brought a very physical game to our supposedly physical Pacers. And we did not rise to the occassion.

The positive that I see is that if this exact game were replayed, shot for shot, I believe the Pacers would be in it. We couldn't miss any more open shots than we did today.

Shade
04-04-2004, 04:47 PM
No offense, but how can anyone who watched this game not be impressed with the Pistions defense? As a game progresses, you adjust your play to stretch to the limits of what is being allowed by the officiating crew. Today, very physical play was being allowed near the basket. The Pistons certainly took far better advantage of that than we did.

On the other hand, regardless of the Pistons defense, the Pacers had more than their share of open shots..... which we were more than willing to miss.

The negative I see in this game is that the Pistons brought a very physical game to our supposedly physical Pacers. And we did not rise to the occassion.

The positive that I see is that if this exact game were replayed, shot for shot, I believe the Pacers would be in it. We couldn't miss any more open shots than we did today.

I agree completely. Very good assessment.

Suaveness
04-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Surprisingly, I am not concerned at all. For one, we didn't have tinsley. And no matter what people think, he is THE most important person we have to RUN the offense. Our offense was terrible. There was absolutely no ball movement at all. And that is where Jamaal excels. I assure you, the game would be much much closer if he played. Their defense was good, but I don't see any cause for alarm. It's breakable.

As for the Pacers as a whole, I just don't think we were in it from the get-go. We didn't look good at all. Bad passes, not holding onto balls, missed shots that were easy. All of this was prominent in the game.

And JO really wasn't comfortable out there, I could see that. I think he needs to take some time off.

I want to say that if it wasn't for Artest, the game would be a lot farther apart. He played well.

Bench. Ours was destroyed. If JB can actually stay healthy, it would be a boost.

Shade
04-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Surprisingly, I am not concerned at all. For one, we didn't have tinsley. And no matter what people think, he is THE most important person we have to RUN the offense. Our offense was terrible. There was absolutely no ball movement at all. And that is where Jamaal excels. I assure you, the game would be much much closer if he played. Their defense was good, but I don't see any cause for alarm. It's breakable.

As for the Pacers as a whole, I just don't think we were in it from the get-go. We didn't look good at all. Bad passes, not holding onto balls, missed shots that were easy. All of this was prominent in the game.

And JO really wasn't comfortable out there, I could see that. I think he needs to take some time off.

I want to say that if it wasn't for Artest, the game would be a lot farther apart. He played well.

Bench. Ours was destroyed. If JB can actually stay healthy, it would be a boost.

I completely agree with you, Suavy. ;)

I'm scared now. :o :P

Suaveness
04-04-2004, 05:42 PM

I completely agree with you, Suavy. ;)

I'm scared now. :o :P

:flirt:

MSA2CF
04-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Or is it just me? :whoknows:

I was laughing my head off during this game.

Sure, I wanted to win the game, but I knew it wasn't a must-win or even a "big game." It was so funny to watch and listen to Pistons fans cheering like they were winning the NBA Finals, even though our team was not hardly trying. :laugh:

Southside_Pacer
04-04-2004, 06:40 PM
No, I'm not really concerned and I'm surprised that some people here are going off the deep end since we lost. It's not as if we were expecting to win anyways.

The Pacers didn't need this game at all, didn't have a whole lot to play for, and just went through the motions. Our starting point guard was out, JO was not 100% effective, and Artest was in early foul problems. JB is still on the injured list.

Yet some people are shocked that we lost? :unimpressed:

No need to panic at all.

Tim
04-04-2004, 07:12 PM
I didn't see the game, I was at work.
I did pass by a radio now and then while at work.

Based on the little information I had, this game was ike our last game with the Bucks.

Pistons had to beat us, Pacers came out like it was another tough game.

Pacer got open shots and missed. Pistons ran a very solid game plan.

Both teams played D but Piston were better, but they need to be better.

I would be more concerned if Tinsley was healthy and had been playing well along with Anderson.

Pacers are just plain better with Tinsley, he is as important as JO now.

I can't get too upset over this. Hopefully Rick will not be shy about sitting Reggie if Rip gets it going.

beast23
04-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Hopefully Rick will not be shy about sitting Reggie if Rip gets it going.In the playoffs, it's players like Hamilton, Kidd, Baron Davis, TJ Ford, Nash, Francis and Peyton that could pose major problems for which we would have no remedy.

That is exactly why I believe we must find a way to include Brewer on our playoff roster.

Freddie might very well be able to stop most of these guys if Carlisle puts him in with the instruction to totally dedicate himself to the task. But if a an oppponent's guard starts lighting it up, it would be nice to have someone like Brewer who could step in for one critical 4-5 minute stretch during a game and get everything under control.

The problem is, as discussed in another thread, who gets left off the roster?

Bball
04-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I didn't see the game, I was at work.
I did pass by a radio now and then while at work.

Based on the little information I had, this game was ike our last game with the Bucks.

Pistons had to beat us, Pacers came out like it was another tough game.

Pacer got open shots and missed. Pistons ran a very solid game plan.

Both teams played D but Piston were better, but they need to be better.

I would be more concerned if Tinsley was healthy and had been playing well along with Anderson.

Pacers are just plain better with Tinsley, he is as important as JO now.

I can't get too upset over this. Hopefully Rick will not be shy about sitting Reggie if Rip gets it going.

I didn't get the impression the Pacers were going thru the motions. If so, why play JO so many minutes?

Also, I had to miss some of the 3rd quarter so I guess the Pacers missed a bunch of open shots then because I keep reading about our open looks and I never saw them in the 1st, 2nd, or 4th qtrs. A shot that isn't blocked is not an 'open' shot. Reggie missed one open shot that I remember. I just don't remember many open shots at all. The defense was altering shots. People were rushing shots.

Let's give credit where credit is due. The Pistons played great today. Let's not pretend the Pacers decided to mail this one in. That doesn't mean that the Pacers can't beat the Pistons but they -will- have to dig down deep to beat a team playing like the Pistons did today.

-Bball

sweabs
04-04-2004, 09:10 PM
I'm not worried about the Pistons because I know what our Pacers can do when everyone is on their game and healthy (unlike today). But I do know that the Pistons have a good team and will be our toughest competition. I believe, come down playoff time (assuming we play them and get that far), either team can win on any given day. In a way, I am kind of glad we lost this game, because now in the playoffs we will know how hard we have to work to beat them...instead of exhibiting a laxadaisical attitude if we were to beat them 4-0.

Ragnar
04-04-2004, 09:51 PM
A lot of the ball pressure they did to us today would not have worked with Tins and Siggy. However that is not to say that they would not have adjusted to the other pg's either. I am more worried about them than I was before they got Sheed and less worried about them than I was the first couple of weeks they had him.

Lets just say the ECF should be interesting and there is no way in h3ll we will beat them if AJ plays major minutes.

indygeezer
04-04-2004, 10:57 PM
1) Bring back Tinsley

2) Bring back Jonathan

3) Thank God for HOME COURT!

4) Pray

(but now you see partly why I was so upset we didn't go for a big at the trade deadline),

diego
04-05-2004, 12:25 AM
one thing about this game versus the playoffs is that the Pistons brought their A game and we brought our C game. Yes they played great defense today and played it hard for 48 minutes, but i do not believe they can play that hard and great every game of a playoff series. If they do they will be mentally and physically exausted by the time they play us. Regardless though they played their best today and we played terrible. We missed open shots, missed layups, JO couldnt throw it in the ocean, and we were missing our starting PG. All that being said we were in game until last 7 minutes. Then it just blew up on us. Do they scare me? Sure they are a great team, its not liek we would have no competition on the way to a title. But i know we can beat them, and in a a 7 game series i really like our chances.

Southside_Pacer
04-05-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm not worried about the Pistons because I know what our Pacers can do when everyone is on their game and healthy (unlike today). But I do know that the Pistons have a good team and will be our toughest competition. I believe, come down playoff time (assuming we play them and get that far), either team can win on any given day. In a way, I am kind of glad we lost this game, because now in the playoffs we will know how hard we have to work to beat them...instead of exhibiting a laxadaisical attitude if we were to beat them 4-0.

Agreed.

I also agree with diego's last post.

NewYawk
04-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm concerned. Always have been. Anyone who thinks our guards are on the same level as theirs is nuts.

And anyone who thinks their frontcourt is equal to ours is equally nuts.