PDA

View Full Version : Please, someone tell me something good about this game!

BillS
04-04-2004, 03:48 PM
:mad:

- Can't hit the broad side of a barn, even with wide open looks.
- Can't get to the freethrow line (of course, not getting into the paint helps)
- When we get there, can't hit a free throw to save our lives :censor:
- Can't hold on to the ball :puke:

Don't let anyone fool you, they wanted to play to win this one, otherwise O'Neal doesn't play the minutes he played.

Personally, I'm glad we didn't embarass ourselves nationally on this one.

I sometimes wonder why I bother cheering for this team, they continue to bring us to the edge and then show that they haven't got what it takes. :banghead:

Hicks
04-04-2004, 03:59 PM
1. Game.

We played like ****, but that's hardly our norm. I'm not that worried about it. JO will have better games, we won't always miss layups, and we won't always miss a ton of FTs.

Oh, and with Tinsley our team offense might actually look competent.

Suaveness
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
It's only 1 game, and we really weren't in it from the start. Doesn't worry me a bit. Plus with JB and JT back, plus JO at full strength, we will beat them.

Hicks
04-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I am a little worried about JO's health. He looked really hobbled out there, when he didn't Wed. and Fri.

Shade
04-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Positives?

We took Detroit's best shot, without two key players (yes, JB will be key in the ECF), on their home floor, in a MUST WIN game for them, and played our worst offensive game of the year to boot. We missed LOTS of easy shots, Ron was in foul trouble most of the game, JO played his worst game of the year, and Reggie was a non-factor. NOBODY stepped up today.

And yet, we were still in the game going into the 4th. Detroit stretched the leas out after we gave up.

I see lots of optimism from this. We got our worst game of the year out of our system against them. We'll be ready in the ECF, and we'll use this loss as our motivation for sticking it to 'em.

bulletproof
04-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Positives?

It wasn't on national TV. :blush:

Bball
04-04-2004, 05:47 PM

I sometimes wonder why I bother cheering for this team, they continue to bring us to the edge and then show that they haven't got what it takes. :banghead:

That is an issue for management and this year by midseason we had a few question marks which probably hindered management's ability to do anything. (Artest's injury/surgery, to a degree Bender's injury(ies), and the team already IMHO overachieving and leading the Division being key factors here). ...Altho historically management wouldn't have done anything anyway because the team was already performing at a level that DW in the past wouldn't risk.

But with high risk can come high rewards. We elected to stand pat. I'll say this tho, no matter what happens in the playoffs I think standing pat this summer would be a mistake. We have too many teams with us in their sights and we've already seen Detroit is not afraid to make moves.

We best be a moving target.

-Bball

Ragnar
04-04-2004, 06:39 PM
As bad as the game was do any of you think Tinsley would have been getting 8 second violations when the game was close? Seriousley we played without out Best pg and our worst one played way way too many minutes.

As critical as I have been of Rick over his use of the pg rotation I am confident he will do the right thing in the playoffs and play Tins and Kenny against Detroit.

Tim
04-04-2004, 07:23 PM

That is an issue for management and this year by midseason we had a few question marks which probably hindered management's ability to do anything. (Artest's injury/surgery, to a degree Bender's injury(ies), and the team already IMHO overachieving and leading the Division being key factors here). ...Altho historically management wouldn't have done anything anyway because the team was already performing at a level that DW in the past wouldn't risk.

But with high risk can come high rewards. We elected to stand pat. I'll say this tho, no matter what happens in the playoffs I think standing pat this summer would be a mistake. We have too many teams with us in their sights and we've already seen Detroit is not afraid to make moves.

We best be a moving target.

-Bball

Provided the moves the Pacers make are smart ones, not ones just to be doing something.

And I take it by "hindered management's ability to do anything." you mean trade Al. Considering how much Rick uses Al I doubt Larry and Donnie are gonna take him away from Rick, not with the success the team is having now.

I expect Primoz, Brewer and maybe JJ to be available. Rick doesn't seem to have the time to develop them and they are not doing us any good taking up bench space.

If the Pacers beat the Knicks on Tuesday this game will be a distant memory, sorta like the Bucks game.

sweabs
04-04-2004, 07:44 PM
[quote="Bball"][quote="BillS"]:mad:

[quote]And I take it by "hindered management's ability to do anything." you mean trade Al. Considering how much Rick uses Al I doubt Larry and Donnie are gonna take him away from Rick, not with the success the team is having now.

Yeah - obviously they aren't going to want to trade Al but unfortunately I think he may want to...then it doesn't really matter. Especially if we have a dissapointing playoff run - but that won't happen - it better not.

BigMac
04-04-2004, 07:57 PM
The best positives are:

1) It's over!

2) It didn't mean anything in the Eastern Conf. Standings

3) Kings won, Lakers lost. Kings have home court for the time being in the West.

4) We didn't play like crap against a bad team-Detroit is a good team, a very good team but they are beatable. More likely we will win all home games played against them if we play them in playoffs.

5) We don't play Detroit any more in the regular season.

That's a lot of positives but none of which came from the way we played-i.e. a gem of a player playing today.

That's all I could come up with.

Bball
04-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Provided the moves the Pacers make are smart ones, not ones just to be doing something.

Sometimes I wonder if lateral talent moves... maybe even backwards talent moves... still can't pay dividends if you pay attention to details. It keeps the team from stagnating. Opens new doors for bench players and rotations. Allows the incoming player a chance to start anew with a clean slate and find a role they can run with. Especially on a team like the Pacers where there's a logjam at some places and weaknesses that could be addressed other places.

Obviously you want a guy who can provide SOMETHING to the team (it might even be veteran leadership in the lockerroom) but you don't necessarily need to pick up what you lost with the traded player.

Edit: I am not suggesting we trade Al for a project pick or a 39 yr old player who we know probably won't play.

And I take it by "hindered management's ability to do anything." you mean trade Al. Considering how much Rick uses Al I doubt Larry and Donnie are gonna take him away from Rick, not with the success the team is having now.

Rick uses Al because he has no choice. When Al is 'on' he helps the team. When a starter is down Al can fill in. That said, Al is not the perfect fit for the Pacers. He can hurt the team as well. To try and drive a message home to Al with limited minutes and bench time could fracture the chemistry. Al COULD be a very important piece to this team but he is a selfish player IMHO who has a different agenda. Rick tolerates this IMHO because to do otherwise would cause Al to pout and likely hurt the team... and Al DOES bring positives. The best I can say is Al can help the team greatly but often his own agenda limits his effectiveness.

I think it is borderline though as far as the positives outweighing the negatives.

That said, his trade value will probably not be much higher. Also, I think he is a ticking timebomb as far as continuing on in his current role. Again, a reason Rick tolerates him.... because we need him to be the best 'Al' he can be and not the pouting 'start me or trade me' Al.

So, yes, Al is the player I think is MOST tradeable to get something good in return. ...Before the NBA catches on and decides his lack of 'team play' may run deeper than just his being stuck as our 6th man.

I will say this though... if there are any creeping 'hidden' issues with Artest then maybe Artest goes.

OTOH, we've seen Al starting for Artest and it wasn't pretty.

Tim... just be glad I am not GM 'cuz Hurricane Harrington would be History Harington ;)

I expect Primoz, Brewer and maybe JJ to be available. Rick doesn't seem to have the time to develop them and they are not doing us any good taking up bench space.

If the Pacers beat the Knicks on Tuesday this game will be a distant memory, sorta like the Bucks game.

My feelings on Harrington have nothing to do with any one lone game.

-Bball