PDA

View Full Version : It appears someone might be coming back to us next season

Mourning
04-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Sat, April 3, 2004

Raptors watch

By Frank Zicarelli

EXPECT O'NEILL TO JOIN PACERS

As the season winds down, the odds of Kevin O'Neill returning as Raptors coach grow thinner.

Already, there's talk that O'Neill will reunite with good friend Rick Carlisle, who has helped the Indiana Pacers solidify top spot in the East throughout the playoffs.

Carlisle brought O'Neill to Detroit, where O'Neill served as Carlisle's top assistant for the past two seasons.

It's no secret that O'Neill would have joined Carlisle in Indiana had the Raptors not offered him their coaching job.

As it is, O'Neill continues to make do with a flawed roster, while Carlisle prepares for a championship run.

Carlisle praises O'Neill's work and believes the Raptors would be competing for home-court advantage in a weak East had injuries been avoided.

Carlisle is also aware of the turmoil in Toronto.

"It's unfortunate when egos and politics are put ahead of the two most important things in this league -- players and winning," Carlisle said.

Thoughts, anyone?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Ragnar
04-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I would welcome him to the staff. My question to you would be who is it that would be coming back to us? Is he bringing Jalen or something?

(Kevin worked for Rick in Deroit not for Larry here)

Mourning
04-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Touche! :laugh: I was in a bit of a hurry to post it :uhoh:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

MSA2CF
04-03-2004, 01:49 PM
I would love O'Neill to come here...I was going to post that article too. I like the kind of coach that just doesn't sit there, but actually stands and yells at his players. (Unlike a certain coach we used to have... :shakehead: Let's just say he went from the :pistons: to :raptors: to :pacers: and to the :knicks:. :D)

Roaming Gnome
04-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Sure come right aboard. Can't have too many defensive minds on one squad. Heck, didn't Zeke have 3 or 4 assistants?

But, could you end up with too many cooks stirring the pot?

MSA2CF
04-03-2004, 02:29 PM
But, could you end up with too many cooks stirring the pot?

Not when the pot is a defending NBA Championship Team!

sweabs
04-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I think it would be amazing if Kevin O'Neil joined the coaching staff. That would be some even better defence!

Jose Slaughter
04-03-2004, 02:39 PM
With our success & all the coaching vacancies that are projected, there is a good chance we might loose someone.

Mike Brown is sure to draw some interest.

Hicks
04-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd love to have him. One more great bball mind guiding the players along. :)

ABADays
04-03-2004, 09:55 PM
I agree - I think Brown will be a head coach next year.

Snickers
04-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Kevin O'neill is cool. He's got that sleep-deprived scientist look to him. :D