Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Mid-season report card with some odd thoughts mixed in....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-season report card with some odd thoughts mixed in....

I'm going to be honest with you guys, I stepped away from all of this late this afternoon.

When I left my office around 5 p.m. the trade was a done deal & there was only a matter of NBA approval.

I went to supper & got home around 7:30. I had the game tivo'ing so that the Diamond one & myself could watch it when he got home from College.

I'm watching an old re-run of Hogans hero, in hi-def btw, when I get this call from a co-worker who said to me "so what happened with Ron Artest now"

I then went on this long spiel about how Ron was traded to the Kings & the proceded to bore him with my thoughts on the entire thing. Knowing he is not a big NBA fan I even filled him in on all of Peja's strengths & weaknesses as I knew them. I had just said the words "well, while I really don't like the trade I am just happy to get rid of Artest" when he pipes in "but I thought the trade fell through". To which I assumed he meant the Maggette trade so I then went on & explained what happened there. Then he say's but they just said on Q95 that ESPN is reporting that the deal with Sac. fell through.

Needless to say I said "What the are you talking about" he then said "no, really they just said it".

I then said "Well " & I hung up on him.

I then ran to the computer to check if the story was true, my first instinct was to check the digest because I knew you guys would be all over this like stink on **** but then I remembered that the game was going on & I never check here when I am not watching a game live.

I went to ESPN & I'll be d@mned if it wasn't the top story. Needless to say I had to call back my co-worker & apologize.

I then hit up the Diamond one & told him the news. Basically he laughed, what the he!! else can you do at that point.

We watched the game (I'll get to that in a min) & then afterwards I came on here & tried to read the threads but by that time it was litterally two pages long so I just had to quit if I was going to do a report card.

I'll try & sum my feelings up on the entire debacle in a #'d system.

1. I wasn't suprised. Well, hold on I was suprised when I was told because I thought it was done when I left. But I wasn't suprised that Ron tried to dictate where he would go. I suspect that trend will continue.

2. The Pacers nor the NBA will be able to do dick to Ron because of the way he has done it. He hasn't refused anything, he said he'll show up but has already indicated that he would prefer not to be there so that puts the seed of doubt in the Maaloof's minds. Even at the meeting tommorrow Ron will just say he wanted to talk but even before he gets there he is causing problems. I'd be suprised if the deal went through as it was. But then again it could very easily happen as well so who knows.

3. The fans of Sacramento just got a reprieve. I know some of you guys read this so let me tell you now. Pray to God that Ron does not end up on your team. He litterally is a monster. The man will wreck your team, there can be no mistake to that. I don't care what system he is in, who he is playing for or how you think you are going to treat him. He will only care about himself at the end of the day & if you have any luck at all you will be able to ship Peja off for something better than this.

4. I wanted him gone, but I'll be honest I never really wanted Peja here. He just doesn't seem to fit into any kind of system we have. But then again, right now we don't have a system so maybe I'm wrong about that.

5. As a fan of the Pacers I hate this. I hate what he has done to our team, what he has made the public outside of our fanbase think abour our team & now what more internal damage he is doing to our team. If it wasn't for the fact that this is killing our franchise this season I could only laugh at this for what it is making Bird look like & ultimately what it is doing to Walsh. But I am a fan so I can only take so much pleasure in their misery. Make no mistake in the real world one of the two of them would take the long walk down corperate row for what has become of this franchise & the way they hung on to this douche bag. But since the Simons have always allowed Walsh as much room as he needs & since Bird is a legand neither will get what anyone else would have gotten.

For the record something deep inside of me blames Bird more for this than Donnie & you all know how I feel about Walsh.

Which bring me to my new point.

I can't be a fan if Ron Artest is allowed back on this team.

Wait, wait before I get the usual lineup of people saying "you don't have to worry about that". Let me make something clear. In his latest Q & A Wells is already talking about how they should let him play & actually need him to play even though they won't let him play.

I am very much afraid that if this deal & all other deals fall through & if this team spirals into a losing season that someone will buckle. Either Walsh or Bird will decide that they need to do something with him & letting him play may be the way to go.

Look at the way that has sprung up on here over the last few weeks. When Ron first made the statement very few uttered the thought about just letting him play.

But then the losing started & some of the few who said this were then being joined by others. Of course now Ron has p!ssed people off again but in about a month & a half if the team is struggling & he is still on the roster the voices will grow.

I can't do it guys.

Ron Artest has now just made Derrick McKey palatable to me. I would call Ron, Satan, but that would confuse people.

So I hereby bequeeth the name Lucifer to Ron Artest.

Anyway back to my point.

If he is brought back on this team for any reason I am done purchasing anything from them until he is gone. I know that is not much of a threat but it is the only one I have.

I will not buy playoff tickets (I may not have to worry about that) I will not buy next seasons tickets.

This isn't the Brad Miller thing for me guys this is worse. This is one person who has so soiled the franchise that I just cannot stand to see him in our uniform ever again.

Now here is my one shining hope.

Donnie Walsh.

I do NOT beleive that Donnie will allow him back. The one thing that has always burned me in the past about Donnie may be the one thing this time that actually saves me.

In other words Donnie has never given a **** about what you or I want so he has never been under any fan pressure to do anything.

So if Donnie is truely done with Lucifer, I think he is done with him & no matter if the entire fieldhouse in unison stood up & shouted "Free Artest" it wouldn't matter to him.

So my fear of not having to buy tickets will be only in the way way way backburner of my mind.

Let's move on.

The Cavs. game.

Danny Granger was great. David Harrison sucked. Jermaine O'Neal was a punk & Fred Jones was useless.

Other than that things were fine.

When Jeff gave the hard foul to Gooden, Drew reacted as I expected him to do. No big deal, Jeff made a good hard foul, Drew let him know that he wouldn't tolerate it & that would have been the end of it.

But no, Jermaine O'Neal decides that he must make sure that Aleksander Pavlovic understand that J.O. is a big tough man.

Again I would like to point out the following. Jermaine O'Neal 6'11" 260lbs of muscle. Aleksander Pavlovic 6'7" 210lbs skinny guy.

For that matter why did he have to be involved at all? How about let Jeff handle this, which he was doing very well I might add.

I kept watching Jamaal Tinsley to see if he would break out a dust buster or something from under his jersey.

In that one little skirmish I was reminded of the J.O. I knew & laughed at so many years ago in that embarrassment of a supposed fight with Corliss Williamson of the Kings.

Then to hear him in the post game interview & then to go back & rewatch the opening inspirational huddle. Let's just say that today J.O. is not living up to that leadership role he had stepped up to.

He is down right now, maybe rightfully so, but to be the leader means he has to elevate the players to another level or at least try to.

Right now this is a rudderless team.

There isn't much to say about the Cavs. game other than it's another in the ever expanding line of games where I just say there is nothing to take away from this other than get over it & move on.

I'm going to do the report cards now.

Rick Carlisle. I think it was apperant early on that he really had problems with this team. Remember guys one of Lucifers complaints about being here was not that the fans booed him or whatever other excuse some of you will want to come up with. It was that he did not like playing for Carlisle. Guess what he hasn't been the only one who has made comments about that this season. A.J., Saras, J.O. & Jax have all at some point in time made the comment they don't like the way things have gone from a coaching standpoint. But he still has the team above .500% at the mid-season even if it is ever so slightly.

Coaching grade: C

Larry Bird. I thought that this was it, I thought this was the year he took over & truely started to remold this team in the way he wanted. Well, here we are. The Indiana Pacers held hostage day (whatever) & who is the person making the calls on this? You know it, Walsh. He stays in Europe to scout while the team burns. This is the tool who said that Ron should be allowed to blow some plays & make some mistakes & that "Ronnie" is just misunderstood.

Donnie Walsh. To his credit he took the Bull by the horns after Lucifer forced the issue & has made it clear he won't let him back. The bad thing is that it took Lucifer issuing this ultimatum on TV & in multiple radio & newspaper interviews to get this done. I can only hope that he let Larry keep him over the summer against his better judgement, but it doesn't matter. He knew what Lucifer was all about after the second season he was here. He sold his soul, so to speak, for talent & laid the sacrifice of character on the alter.

Also let's not overlook some of the other wonderfull ideas these two have had. Bringing in a player who in the press conferance to announce him had to say they had a coach (Mike Brown) who could deal with him. Brought in a p.g. who was going to create a controversy over style of play. Did not bring in any form of vet. big man to help take the pressure off of our middle. I could go on & on but I won't.

Managements grade F-

Austin Croshere. Um, am I the only person who has noticed a real slip in Austins play this week? Is it just a coincidence that we learned he was offered with Lucifer for Odom at about the same time his play became irregular? Other than that he has been the one solid all season long. You never had to question his work ethic, his professionalism or his leadership. You will always be able to question his contract but what is the point anymore. This is a guy who could b!tch a fit & be right to do so about not starting. When he starts the teams record is much higher & he produces at a higher level. But he hasn't said a word & for the first time in years is actually being productive off of the bench.

Crosheres grade A-

Jeff Foster. Not in shape yet but fights every min. he is on the floor. Has seemed to have moved passed the wretched field goal shooting he had when he first came back. He is playing more physical & IMO smarter than he has in the past on defesne. I think he is dominate as the backup center & I hope we can keep him in that role. I hate O'neal & Foster together but I like Cro & Foster & even Harrison & Foster.

Foster grade B+

Ed Gill. He shows up, he does his job & he does not create problems for the team. Yes I know that this should be the min. expectations of every player but on our team someone like this needs praise. He does not cause problems & he cheers whenever I see him. No, his skill aren't great. But I've seen a lot worse 4th string p.g.'s on a team.

Gill's grade B

A.J. Well he has shown his attitude here over the past couple of games but I've always thought that you reap what you sow. So IMO since Carlisle let's Jackson throw a hissy fit everytime he is taken out when he doesn't want to then it makes it ok for anybody to do it. But beyond that A.J. has given us everything that you would ever want from somebody of his talent level & place on the team. What's sad is that right now he is the most complete point guard on the team.

Johnson's grade B- (would have been higher but I took off some for recent attitudes)

Jermaine O'Neal. Stepped up early on in the leadership game. Has fallen off of it lately. Is always coming up lame for some reason or the other, but I never question his willingness to play through pain or injury. Other than the Cavs. game he hasn't rebounded as well as I would like for him to & as far as I know he doesn't demand the offense go through him so I don't blame him for all of the iso ball. However for a max player you probably like to see a little more production out of the guy. But I will say this, this franchise has put him through a lot. From firing his mentor to keeping Lucifer for far longer than they should have. So in some respects he gets a break here. But that break will last only so long. Unfortunately it's a tough world out there & at some point in time you have to produce.

O'Neals grade B-

Danny Granger. Struggled very early on & didn't deserve any more min. than what he was getting. But once he settled down & got some consistant time on the floor he showed that whatever hype he was getting was probably not enough. He is a fierce rebounder & he is already a good defender for a rookie. If he had a solid 15' jump shot he would be a phenom & there is nothing to say he can't develop one. The future looks much brighter when I look at it with him in the picture.

Grangers grade B-

Stephen Jackson. Horrid attitude at times on the floor. Argues way to much with refs. makes an @ss of himself everytime he gets pulled from the game & has become somewhat of a ballhog. However he has certainly stepped up his game on occasion to help us win some without Lucifer being here. When he plays the two guard we become a more competative team because of his length & ability to guard some of the better two's in the NBA. I know a lot of people can't stand him & I'm not a big fan & truth be told I'd rather have Al. But I can't fault him for everything that has happened.

Jacksons grade C

Sarunas Jasikevicius. Not as great as hyped, not as bad as I expected. He talks to much for a rookie & I don't think he blends that well with his team mates. Some of it is their fault some of it is his. But he is a good/great passer & on occasion can shoot lights out. I would have no problem if they traded A.J. & kept Saras as the backup p.g. I've actually come to like it on occasion when he is in there with the right guys. Needs to still improve defensivley & I would like to see him dribble a little better but overall I am more happy that I ever thought I would be with him.

Jasikevicius grade C

Fred Jones. I really should have reviewed Fred after a differant game than the Cavs. one. He was litterally useless & unfortunately with Fred this season we have rotating great games followed by really bad games. This is his time to shine & he's not always getting it done. Don't get me wrong he is not sucking or anything like that but he is not been consistantly good enough IMO to think of him as anything more that a novelty who can come in & make some big plays but at other times be useless on the floor. I still like him but he needs to defend every game not every other & he has to be more aggesive going to the hole.

Jones grade C

David Harrison. He is being given a chance. He is not really proving on a consistant basis that he deserves this chance. For those that make the statements that he has mental issue all I can say is this. I think your right. He is litterally a big kid & truth be told he needs a mentor in the worst of ways. However he has shown that he eats space better than anybody on the team & has had some games where he has shown he can own the defensive glass. He was hitting from the field but that has gone by the way of the doo doo here lately. I say this will all respect. David Harrison is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Harrisons grade C-

Scot Pollard. Are you kidding me, a sore back? Is being funny that much of a strain? I'm only halfway joking. This guy doesn't play but yet he isn't available much to do so even when they want him to. The flu, then back pain? When I first heard this I wondered if maybe Scot hadn't gotten a little tired of the DNP-CD's. When he has played he's had some good & some less than good but never bad. I am really wondering about this back thing. But no matter what he just isn't available enough to get be of any real use.

Pollards grade D

Jamaal Tinsley. Causes more harm to this team right now than good. If he is not injured he is sick if he is not sick he is Mel Mel the abuser if he is not Mel Mel the abuser he is Allen Iverson. Since he has returned from his muscle tear I have been trying to think of a way to get him to go back out. This is coming from a guy who was once a full fledged supporter of Jamaal. No more.
    His shooting is crap, for some reason now he is a shoot first point guard for more than 3/4 time he is on the floor. His defense litterally makes Pooh Richardson look like Sidney Moncrief & his passing is suspect. Point guard is our deepest position yet is it also the weakest on the team. No disrespect to my friends Ragnar & Magicrat but I am now fully in the camp of getting this clown out of town.

Tinsleys grade F

Lucifer & Bender get lumped into the F catagory as well but I'm not wasting any more time on either of them.

Overall I give the team a grade of C- & that is probably generous.

Feel free to flame away at me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Mid-season report card with some odd thoughts mixed in....

As always, good re-cap Peck.

May I ask, would you be upset if they decided that now was the time to "blow this team up"? Assuming the Player Who Cannot Be Named has totally kaboshed this trade, of course. Maybe not 15 new players...but say 3 major components?
    Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

I really do not think you have to worry about Artest playing for the
      Pacers again. Can you imagine the home games???? Ron would be booed
      every time he touched the ball. I honestly could see it getting ugly. Their
      is NO way Ron plays for the Pacers again.

owl
      {o,o}
      |)__)
      -"-"-

Comment

Draft some mentally and physically durable players along with at least 3 years of college experience.

I say it is time to rebuild. Slowly but surely move the bad players along and when I say bad I mean as in attitude. That is where it starts, not with the less talented players. It is time to open the windows in the spring and
        let the fresh air in and blow out the stench.

owl
        {o,o}
        |)__)
        -"-"-

Comment

Originally posted by owl
          Draft some mentally and physically durable players along with at least 3 years of college experience.

I say it is time to rebuild. Slowly but surely move the bad players along and when I say bad I mean as in attitude. That is where it starts, not with the less talented players. It is time to open the windows in the spring and
          let the fresh air in and blow out the stench.

owl

Sounds liberating.

Al Harrington....I want to start
          Jalen Rose....I'm a point guard, I want to start point
          Tony Davis....I want to start
          Dale Davis.....You screwed me, I want more money
          Detlef Schrempf.....I want out, I want to go home (well Washington anyway).

The Artest craziness is new for our team, but the pain in the @ss player for the Pacers is not.
          You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Peck, is there such a grade as F-. I had to laugh at that.

I think you are being a little hard on Fred. I think he deserves at least a B-.

Right now I cannot stand watching Tinsley and Jackson play. Jax is selfish and always complaining to the refs. But Tinsley is even worse. Has a player ever had worse body language. A point guard is supposed to be a leader at least to some degree, and Tinsley is not even close in fact he has killed the team since he's come back. I hope he cannot play anymore.

I could rip DH, but I don't see the need

I only enjoy watching the Pacers when the following players are in the game. AJ, Saras, Fred, Granger, Cro, Jeff. I realize that is 6 players, but right now those are the only players who are willing to play.

Peck, I'll do you one better, if Harrison, Jax and Tinsley, if any one of those three are on the team next season I might not renew my season tickets either.

I have a sincere question for Tinsley fans. Do you believe he is even trying right now. He is never in a defensive stance, he throws the ball away, he looks like he'd rather be someplace else. I've never seen anything like it. if I were the coach I'd bench him.

On J.O he'll probably be out until the allstar break as he heard something pop when he was injured, so he's out for awhile

Comment

Tinsley should have been brought off the bench. I said that at the party.
              Right now I want Tinsley in street clothes just so Rick can't start him.

Comment

The ONLY way Ron comes back is with a Carlisle firing and Bird coaching
                Heywoode says... work hard man.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck
                  Scot Pollard. Are you kidding me, a sore back? Is being funny that much of a strain? I'm only halfway joking. This guy doesn't play but yet he isn't available much to do so even when they want him to.

Pollards grade D
                  New nickname for Pollard: Hoffa

You never know where he is or what happened to him, just that he's not around.

Great post as usual Peck.
                  The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

Is it a sign of the apocalypse or just a sign of mental fatigue that I agree with almost everything Peck said?

As a Walsh Apologist, I can't quite climb all over management that much. I think whatever Walsh did would have been second-, third-, fourth-, and fifth- guessed by this forum (traded Ron immediately? What a waste, he was worth more than that, Walsh should have waited. Waited? Get burned by injuries and Ron himself, should have moved right away. Took an injured Maggette? Oh, no, here comes Bender again, we're doomed, what an idiot.) Hindsight is easy because you already know the wrong answer. That said, it is difficult for me to give management a passing grade in their handling of this, mostly because I think they aren't communicating well with the players. At best I give them the benefit of the doubt and do a D-, though that's being extremely generous.

I agree with UB about the lineup, the ones he mentions were the ones I saw working on the floor against Atlanta.

But here's a big question - if one player or combination over a fraction of a season is enough to keep you from buying season tickets, why are you so unhappy that management decisions are so based on keeping butts in the seats? That's the ultimate in fickle fandom to me, and pretty much an acknowledgement that making unusual moves would tend to drive people away.

Notwithstanding the fact that one could say this entire fiasco has been caused by taking wild chances with Artest and Bender, why would this kind of fan attitude make management want to take more?
                    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Thanks for the lengthy commentary, Peck. I agree that Granger is the only ray of hope at the moment.

I will also mention that Saras has had his moments, sometimes shoots inconsistently which is annoying, but last night was the only one making something happen in the second half. Rick benched him too long. I think he was winded, so that's understandable, but he should have been put back in after three or four minutes. Instead, we got to watch Tinsley, who deserved to be benched. It's surreal, almost like Rick does the exact opposite of what you would expect regarding substitutions.

I so agree with you regarding AJ simply following the actions of Jax and others. Its a shame that he got disciplined and Tinsely did not for flipping off the ref, which, to me, is a far greater offense.

You are right that Foster was handling the think with Gooden just fine. In fact, I rewatched it on TIVO and saw where Jeff actually gave Drew a little pat on the back--kinda saying "we're cool"--as JO was chasing down the white guy (forgot his name). Gooden seem to be cool too. So, they were doing fine until JO butts in and starts messing with the guy who was simply trying to calm things down. So not only was JO a punk, he was messing with the peacemaker. How embarrassing.

I also agree regarding Cro. It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago how important he is to me right now as a fan. Not unlike his standing stolidly in the center of rioting and chaos during the brawl, he does the same for me in the midst of the chaos of our team right now. In fact, if we traded him I would be very upset. He's one of the few links we have right now to professionalism, class, and decency.

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but how about that block by Granger last night. The kid truly is a bright ray of hope. I agree, the 15 foot shot in his repotoire is all he needs to become great. I surely hope that he can develop it.

By the way, you forgot to mention on Foster that he has been hitting his free throws lately. To me, it looks like the real thing--something he has practiced intensely and not a fluke. If so, perhaps he can also develop a midrange shot on the court, which would also move him way up the charts.

P.S. In response to your new name for OurTest, I have changed my avatar. Dale never was a demon (of course, neither was Derrick!), he simply switched to our arch rival. Kinda hard to blame him in hindsight.
                      "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

Peck, the reason why Croshere is not looking too good lately, besides the fact he's not starting. Please start him over DH, we are hurting DH's trade value by playing him.

Croshere is one of those players who plays better with better players. He plays better in a structured environment, and in a stable situation. Right now things are in chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by McKeyFan
                          P.S. In response to your new name for OurTest, I have changed my avatar. Dale never was a demon (of course, neither was Derrick!), he simply switched to our arch rival. Kinda hard to blame him in hindsight.
                          Yer right. I think everybody who said a cross word about Dale should be forced to take it back. He saw the writing on the wall and made an excellent career move by avoiding it. Dale didn't abandon the Pacers, the Pacers abandoned dignity.
                          House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Comment

No I dont think Tins is trying right now. I think he did the first couple of games and got frustrated with the rest of the team and the constant losing of leads when he would sit down and quit just like the rest of the team.

Am I angry with him for this YES Do I understand it A little. Do I condone it NO. He is not the only one who has quit but for some reason many of you are focusing on him. In a way I hope he is traded because this team is being destroyed from within and it would be best for him to go to a team with a coach who understands what a P.G. can and is suposed to do. I dont think they will fire Rick and he will continue to treat Tins like a lepor and will continue to treat AJ like a real P.G.

But more important than any of this is Peck how does Hogans Heroes look in HD? Was it shot in film allowing it to be upgraded to HD? Unfortunatly I cant get Hogans Heroes in Ft. Wayne its not on Direct TV for some reason and even if they brought it back I doubt it would be on an HD channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck

I have a sincere question for Tinsley fans. Do you believe he is even trying right now. He is never in a defensive stance, he throws the ball away, he looks like he'd rather be someplace else. I've never seen anything like it. if I were the coach I'd bench him.
                              Since coming back from injury Tinsley has destroyed the Pacers. You are so right about his attitude and body language. He doesn't play with passion, which IMO is the most important thing a player can do. I've also noticed that since Tinsley returned to the lineup, Freddy has really gone downhill. I'm not sure what the correlation is, but I've noticed it. It might be coincidence, but earlier in the season I noticed that when Tinsley was OUT of the lineup, Freddy played a lot better, so I think there's something there.

Comment

Working...
                              X