PDA

View Full Version : NBA league PASS now available online.....

Kstat
01-23-2006, 08:41 PM
NBA Calls League Pass Broadband Play

Mike Shields
JANUARY 23, 2006 -

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/interactive/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001883065

On Monday, Broadband subscribers will be able to watch live footage of NBA games on their desktops.

The National Basketball Association has announced the launch of NBA League Pass Broadband, an extension of its existing TV package that gives subscribers access to out-of-market games through their digital cable or satellite TV service. Now, both new and existing League Pass subcribers have access to live video Webcasts of up to 40 NBA regular season games a week on NBA.com at no additional cost.

The Webcasts will not be offered as a separate package to non cable or satellite subscribers. This follows the NBA recent deal with Google to sell full-length games to fans through the new Google Video Store 24-hours after they are completed.

CableKC
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
It sounds like they will broadcast Live NBA games through the Web as long as you pay for a season of NBA League Pass.

Not bad. This means that us WestCoasters can catch East coast games on the web at work when games start at 4pm PST.

Tx KSTAT...good info.

Hicks
01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
So doesn't this mean that if you set this up, loaned the login info with a trusted non US resident, that they could watch all the games too?

able
01-23-2006, 09:39 PM
not to loud Hicks, "Der Feind hort Mit!"

but uhhh you got my pm addie :)

Lord Helmet
01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
not to loud Hicks, "Der Feind hort Mit!"

but uhhh you got my pm addie :)
Me first, damnit!

:devil: :laugh:

I wish they'd let people go to NBA.com and pay the LP fee and get all the games and NBATV online. Insight will never provide League Pass.

jrm7one
02-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Just curious, but has anybody tried using this yet?

I have LP but my account number didn't work when I tried to log in so I'm waiting to hear back from NBA.com as to why it won't accept my account.

Hopefully it'll work so I can watch the games online. I never get to watch the games now because the only tv with a digital cable box is in the family room, and I have to fight over the remote.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 02:37 AM
I'd be really interested to see if it really worked too. I am off at college and I don't want to order league pass only to find out that it doesn't work...

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-08-2006, 03:01 AM
I wish that they would offer an online only version of league pass for a cheaper amount. Like $99 for the full season online. I wonder how good/consistent the streams are. I would want to test it out first. Too bad it's only for full Leaque Pass subscribers.

Hicks
02-08-2006, 07:18 AM
It took my account # a few days after my last post. I only used it for a short time since I obviously can just watch on TV, but it seemed decent.

DisplacedKnick
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
It took my account # a few days after my last post. I only used it for a short time since I obviously can just watch on TV, but it seemed decent.

And if you have a plasma, just use the RGB connection and it'll be more than decent!

Ragnar
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Uh stupid question here. Where exactly did you find the account number?

Would it be on my direct TV bill?

Hicks
02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I found it on a bill, yeah.

DeS
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Why NBA do not want to let us, non US residents, watch the games!? I would gladly pay the LP fee...

FrenchConnection
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Why NBA do not want to let us, non US residents, watch the games!? I would gladly pay the LP fee...
I'm sure that the league hands out exclusive broadcast rights to local television networks in foreign countries. This would explain why those not in the US are not allowed to get programming over the net.

Ragnar
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I would guess that in the future (whenever the current deals that prevent this expire) they will work out a way to sell that to you.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
It's a huge sales miss, I think, for Stern not to just pitch this over the internet. Does he realize the money-making potential here? Has someone explained to him how the internet works? I mean, he usually is for imaking the game more international and making money so it would only make sense for him to figure out any potential problems soon.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
This is obviously a trial balloon, people. If it works, the NBA will start pitching league PASS online.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
This is obviously a trial balloon, people. If it works, the NBA will start pitching league PASS online.

Let's hope so. However, how well can you really gauge the success of this if no one is allowed to buy league pass online? Judge by an increase in league pass sales at home? What about those who can't get league pass but would buy it if it was on the internet?

able
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
there are a lot of reasons not to launchs this like a madman internationally, current discussions (mainly in the US) about ISPS (the major ones) wanting to charge for content delivery to the sender is just one of them.
Should they go global in one go with this then most likely A: all the akamai servers would tumble down and B: NBA would face a financial hard time for bandwidth usage

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Let's hope so. However, how well can you really gauge the success of this if no one is allowed to buy league pass online? Judge by an increase in league pass sales at home? What about those who can't get league pass but would buy it if it was on the internet?

They're not gauging interest, they're gauging how well they can do it.

THey're trying to set up a successful network to a smaller group of people before they try to pitch it to millions. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 03:05 PM
there are a lot of reasons not to launchs this like a madman internationally, current discussions (mainly in the US) about ISPS (the major ones) wanting to charge for content delivery to the sender is just one of them.
Should they go global in one go with this then most likely A: all the akamai servers would tumble down and B: NBA would face a financial hard time for bandwidth usage

Thanks for explaining all the technical talk regarding bandwidth and such...that has to be the reason because this really is a great opportunity.

able
02-08-2006, 03:15 PM
what this is (spot on K) is that the NBA is "checking out" technical merits, actual costs, per client avg bandwidth usage, etc etc etc.

NBA has to make a consideration whether to start offering NBA league pass "nba channel" on satelite to f.i. far east, middle east and europe, selling the rights to a 3rd party or doing this via the internet, or a combination of those options.

Facing an increase in popularity in other countries then the US is nice, but it also brings the additional headache that "right buyers" like BSkyB and others have A: overlapping boundries and B: only "cherry-pick" the offerings and with the latter part they basically put a break on the growth of the "NBA mondial".

One way is that their "picks" are not ideal to attract a "larger audience" another is that theur broadcasting times (night in EU for instance) are far from ideal, should the NBA offer league pass including the re-run of games in "appropriate times" it would be an easier sale.

oh well, could write another couple of pages on this, but it all boils down to "Kstat is right" :D

able
02-08-2006, 03:18 PM
P.S. for those interested in knowing more about what the NIG isp's are planning in order to "make a few dollars" on services like this read up on this here :

http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2006/02/index.html?_requestid=282848

Ragnar
02-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I found it on a bill, yeah.

I sat there looking for a NBA league pass account number for a couple of minutes before I figured out it was just the Direct TV account number.

Then when I went to the site and put in that I had Direct TV instead of the account number it just had me inter my username for directtv.com

PacerMan
02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Watched some college games last year (not through league pass) and it was really frustrating. It dropped frames or whatever you call it so that the action wasn't "smooth". Guy would go in for a contested layup and then it would skip a few frames to him coming down without the ball. Annoying as heck. Maybe this will be better though. Won't matter for me as I won't pay for broadband anymore.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Watched some college games last year (not through league pass) and it was really frustrating. It dropped frames or whatever you call it so that the action wasn't "smooth". Guy would go in for a contested layup and then it would skip a few frames to him coming down without the ball. Annoying as heck. Maybe this will be better though. Won't matter for me as I won't pay for broadband anymore.

I have a few buddies who have been doing that as well. Only way to keep track of college action when not televised...I've heard good things however. Although, I'm guessing that if the NBA goes thru with this on a large scale then it will be much, much bigger than just a college game online.

DeS
02-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm sure that the league hands out exclusive broadcast rights to local television networks in foreign countries. This would explain why those not in the US are not allowed to get programming over the net.
Imo - You are right. But this sucks, as we get only ~1 pacers game live per month from local TV network. We are just forced to be the pirates by downloading games from inet and we are not getting the fun by watching the live games :cry:

Eindar
02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
This is a good idea, but banwidth ain't cheap, just ask any MMORPG producer. What makes it worse is that there's a huge difference between a simple ping location/activity type game environment and a 2+ hour stream of content.

I think if they were to offer this online, it would cost full LP price for the online version, which would be included for free in the cable version, since you're doing one or the other, rarely if ever both.

One major problem, however, is that if you allow people to stream the games, they'll figure out a way to record it, and then you've essentially wrecked the "pay for the game" google thing. Also, you'd have to be willing to track down and somehow punish those who would exploit your service by using 1 account to watch the game on hundreds of computers, or, more relevant, burn it onto disks and offer it to their entire city for $1 the next day, in a country that is very tolerant of copyright infringement (China).

I think Kstat is right, this is a test to see how successful/profitable they can be offering this service.

Ultimate Frisbee
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Wow, this is really exciting.... I hope that they offer it for those of us who don't have digital cable/satellite soon!

Hoop
03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I sat there looking for a NBA league pass account number for a couple of minutes before I figured out it was just the Direct TV account number.

Then when I went to the site and put in that I had Direct TV instead of the account number it just had me inter my username for directtv.com
So it worked?
All I get is this account/name is not valid. I tried every combo of account name, number etc and still nothing. :mad:

Ragnar
03-01-2006, 10:45 PM
So it worked?
All I get is this account/name is not valid. I tried every combo of account name, number etc and still nothing. :mad:

Have you registered on directtv.com? when I went to log in the first time on NBA.com it asked me to pick a username and password. but then the first time I wanted to watch a game it had me select directtv as my source and then it asked me for my directtv.com username.

So you will need to create a username and password for that area of NBA.com and if you have not done so already you need to register at directtv.com also.

Hoop
03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Have you registered on directtv.com? when I went to log in the first time on NBA.com it asked me to pick a username and password. but then the first time I wanted to watch a game it had me select directtv as my source and then it asked me for my directtv.com username.

So you will need to create a username and password for that area of NBA.com and if you have not done so already you need to register at directtv.com also.
Yep I did all that, I still get account/user name not valid. I emailed NBA.com and they replied pretty fast, I have to fax or mail them a copy of my DTV bill. Sucks, but I guess I'll have to do that.

waterjater
03-02-2006, 01:55 AM
I didn't read everything above, BUT YES IT IS PRETTY COOL!!

I live in California and work long hours. It is nice to take a break and catch part of the game before I get home and watch it on Tivo.

Water

archangel
03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it's been great for me. I've been living in hotels for the past 6 months and can't get the games on tv, so it's been nice to watch them on my laptop from the hotel. Thanks for posting it Kstat.