PDA

View Full Version : Reggie talking Pacers on Dan Patrick

Tom White
01-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Basically talking about the Artest situation (what else?), and no real news. However, Reggie says some things that really bother me.

Patrick asked Reg what he thought was going to happen. If he thought a trade was coming soon. Reg's reply was that he may have big ears, but they weren't close to the ground (meaning he has no inside info), but that he thought the Pacers were not going to give Artest away, and might just "bite the bullet and ride out this thing."

I'm taking that to mean that the Pacers would even just ride out Ron's entire contract if they have to. Seems absurd to me.

Now here are the things he said that bothered me more.

He said the Pacers might just go with what they've got "and that ain't very good."

In reference to the Pacers, and TPTB in particular he said "Well, you reap what you sow.", and said it in such a...I don't know...disrespectful tone of voice.

First off, let me say that I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech, so that is not my point, but...

Here's a guy (Reggie) that the Pacers organization has treated like gold over the years, including six million dollars worth of gold right now, while he's not playing.

Sure, he has earned his tribute night with his performance while with the team, but the way he talks about them now just bothers me. It is as though he has forgotten how the organization treated him, and was respectful of him for all those years.

Does anyone remember when Reggie's house got torched, and how he was said to be ready to just give it all up at that time. Do you remember how it was reported that Bird told him how the Pacers were his (Reggie's) team and Indy was his city, and how much everyone involved cared about him?

I guess what I'm saying is, why can't Reg just say something like, "Yes, this is a struggle for the whole Pacers organization, and its a shame because a lot of people with that organization have worked hard to make it what it is."

Instead, we are treated to him basically saying, Well, it is there own damn fault. They've screwed this team up bad.

I know that some of you will say that Reggie is just speaking his honest opinion, and that me be so. I wonder what goes through DW's mind when he hears those sort of comments from a man who used to be his team's number one son.

Thoughts anyone?

blanket
01-23-2006, 04:12 PM
In reference to the Pacers, and TPTB in particular he said "Well, you reap what you sow.", and said it in such a...I don't know...disrespectful tone of voice.

I didn't hear the interview, but I imagine he's referring to the fact that the Pacers org. stood by Ron, even when they shouldn't have.

As for the tone: he's in broadcast now, so he's supposed to sensationalize everything; besides, he still has to convince people that he isn't biased in favor of the Pacers after 18 season, so he might err on the side of overdoing the criticism.

:whoknows:

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 04:12 PM

He said earlier this year that Ron wasn't the problem. That means the Pacers still have the problem, they haven't gotten rid of it so, "you reap what you sow," means he thinks the Pacers are dumb to not do so.

I think it's Tinsley he's talking about.

Napptown
01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
SOmetimes you have to hear these types of things in order to judge tone and attitude. If you are right about how he said everything, well then I feel it a shame. This orginzation and this town went over the top to let him go out right. They don't deserve any negative comments from him. Even if they are true.

That said, Reggie is now in the entertainment business, and it was Dan Patrick. If other people read the tone the same as you ESPN will make a story of it. They seem to love making stories out of nothing. Suprised they aren't talking about TO right now.

FrenchConnection
01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I think that Reggie knows about as much as we all do about Donnie's plans. Given the fact that Reggie is on TV all the time and on Dan Patrick's show about once a week, I highly doubt that DW would risk letting Reggie in on his plans.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
He said earlier this year that Ron wasn't the problem. That means the Pacers still have the problem, they haven't gotten rid of it so, "you reap what you sow," means he thinks the Pacers are dumb to not do so.

I think it's Tinsley he's talking about.

I think he's talking about Carlisle.

Jon Theodore
01-23-2006, 04:23 PM
I love how everyone thinks REggie is talking about one player.

So ridiculous. He is talking about everyone, I mean Ron, Jack, Jermaine, Tins are BIG 4 all have major question marks. Reggie is not saying **** about the Pacers that isn't true.

The Lakers at this point are a better team than the Pacers in my book. Because they have Kobe having a legendary season. But that is not even my point, the Lakers suck....i'm just saying the PAcers are a mediocre team right now. We play .500 basketball.

Unclebuck
01-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Are you serious ?

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Could be, but Carlisle is consistent, and everyone knows he can coach.

Tinsley is aways injured, has a questionable attitude, and has his own agenda at times. When you have a starting point guard like this it really effects the rest of the team negatively. The results are no cohesiveness, no chemistry, and other players acting up too.

Jermaniac
01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
I bet he is. We wont ever win a championship as Hardheaded Rick as the coach. I hope they fire him next year and get us a new start with a new coach.

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I bet he is. We wont ever win a championship as Hardheaded Rick as the coach. I hope they fire him next year and get us a new start with a new coach.

Good coach's don't grow on trees. And other than the last two years when everything has been turned upside down he's had a great record. And not just with the Pacers.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I am serious. Who's dosen't fit in? Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest or Rick Carlisle?

Young, Black & Controversial vs Old, White & Conservative is the problem with this team. The core of the team wants high flying dunks, behind the back passes, blocked shots going into the 15th row, corn rows, afros, arm bands, head bands, alley oops & flash. While the management wants short shorts, chest passes, beat 'em at the line, grind it out, low scoring, defense oriented & by the book. They should just let these guys play "ball". They all got to this point playing "ball". We brought 'em here 'cause they can "ball". Let 'em do what they do.

:blush: I'm embarrassed to hit the submit button on this one, but it might be true.

Kstat
01-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Yep, that's the problem. Too many black guys on the Pacers, and too many white coaches.

Am I the only one embarrased to read that?

Roy Munson
01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Yep, that's the problem. Too many black guys on the Pacers, and too many white coaches.

Hey, maybe that's why Bird spends so much time in Europe hunting for white players.

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
I am serious. Who's dosen't fit in? Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest or Rick Carlisle?

Your trying to make it racial when attitude is the problem. Fred, Danny, AJ, Gill, are all black but they don't have attitude problems. We just have too many guys with attitude, and it starts with your point guard.

Kstat
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Your trying to make it racial when attitude is the problem.

Who doeasn't fit?

Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, or Flip Saunders?

Jaydawg2270

Am I the only one embarrased to read that?

I just ignored it

Dr. Goldfoot
Yep, that's what I said. The Pacers have a street baller, two guys who didn't go to college & a well documented lunatic as their core players. These players don't fit into the structured & conservative offense Carlisle runs.

Kstat
01-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Yep, that's what I said. The Pacers have a street baller, two guys who didn't go to college & a well documented lunatic as their core players. These players don't fit into the structured & conservative offense Carlisle runs.

...but they fit SO WELL into the who-gives-a-***** offense that Zeke ran?

Or was Zeke not "black" enough for them also?

DO some research before throwing out racial blasts.

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM

That's not how you put it before.

And these players have won 61 games in a season in that structured, conservative, offence Rick runs.

Evan_The_Dude
01-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Young, Black & Controversial vs Old, White & Conservative is the problem with this team. The core of the team wants high flying dunks, behind the back passes, blocked shots going into the 15th row, corn rows, afros, arm bands, head bands, alley oops & flash. While the management wants short shorts, chest passes, beat 'em at the line, grind it out, low scoring, defense oriented & by the book. They should just let these guys play "ball". They all got to this point playing "ball". We brought 'em here 'cause they can "ball". Let 'em do what they do.

:blush: I'm embarrassed to hit the submit button on this one, but it might be true.

Yeah, you should definitely unsubmit that one. You basically just said everybody is the problem.

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 04:53 PM
theres no reason to put race in any argument you should delete those posts

Evan_The_Dude
01-23-2006, 04:56 PM
theres no reason to put race in any argument you should delete those posts

Agreed

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm not deleting that post. I think it may well be the problem with this team.

PacerMan
01-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Basically talking about the Artest situation (what else?), and no real news. However, Reggie says some things that really bother me.

Patrick asked Reg what he thought was going to happen. If he thought a trade was coming soon. Reg's reply was that he may have big ears, but they weren't close to the ground (meaning he has no inside info), but that he thought the Pacers were not going to give Artest away, and might just "bite the bullet and ride out this thing."

I'm taking that to mean that the Pacers would even just ride out Ron's entire contract if they have to. Seems absurd to me.

Now here are the things he said that bothered me more.

He said the Pacers might just go with what they've got "and that ain't very good."

First off, let me say that I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech, so that is not my point, but...

Here's a guy (Reggie) that the Pacers organization has treated like gold over the years, including six million dollars worth of gold right now, while he's not playing.

Sure, he has earned his tribute night with his performance while with the team, but the way he talks about them now just bothers me. It is as though he has forgotten how the organization treated him, and was respectful of him for all those years.

Does anyone remember when Reggie's house got torched, and how he was said to be ready to just give it all up at that time. Do you remember how it was reported that Bird told him how the Pacers were his (Reggie's) team and Indy was his city, and how much everyone involved cared about him?

I guess what I'm saying is, why can't Reg just say something like, "Yes, this is a struggle for the whole Pacers organization, and its a shame because a lot of people with that organization have worked hard to make it what it is."

Instead, we are treated to him basically saying, Well, it is there own damn fault. They've screwed this team up bad.

I know that some of you will say that Reggie is just speaking his honest opinion, and that me be so. I wonder what goes through DW's mind when he hears those sort of comments from a man who used to be his team's number one son.

Thoughts anyone?

I've wondered MANY times how much Ron Artest had to do with Reggie not coming back for another year on what looked to be a stacked team needing only his skills.
It's been hinted at from time to time.
Maybe he just gave his version..........

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 04:59 PM
then you should get banned

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
And these players have won 61 games in a season in that structured, conservative, offence Rick runs.

I remember that season. It was two seasons ago. There's a possibilty these guys just don't want to hear it anymore and want to play the style they think is best for them.

Tom White
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Well guys, I really did not intend for this to become a black and white sort of thing. As a matter of fact I don't think that it is.

This is going to sound odd, coming from me. Many people know that I am not a big supporter of DW, LB or RC. However, those are the people I was primarily thinking about (in particular Walsh and Bird), as I listened to what Reggie was saying.

Yep, I'm saying I feel badly for them. Told you it was going to sound odd!

How must they feel when they hear Reggie say these things. Maybe they don't feel "betrayed" in the same way they do by what Ron has done, but they certainly have to have some level of sadness-anger-shock-whatever when they hear the former favorite son say those things.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 05:05 PM
then you should get banned

That's ridiculous. I'm not making racist statements.

Kstat
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
That's ridiculous. I'm not making racist statements.

No, just ignorant ones.

Not a bannable offense, correct. But ignorant nontheless.

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
...management wants short shorts, chest passes, beat 'em at the line, grind it out, low scoring, defense oriented & by the book.

so many fallacies here it's hard to know where to start.

You realize that the Celtics of the mid-80's ususally AVERAGED over 110 a game,

111.8 in 1986...

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
some people take them to be racist

Dr. Goldfoot
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't see what the Celtics of the 80's have to do with Rick Carlisle's slow, methodical & torturous offensive schemes. The point of my post:

*Pacers' core players and Pacers' coaching staff are out of touch, not in step with each other.
*I believe a street ballin' point guard doesn't fit well with a structured/conservative offense.
*I believe two guys who bypassed college won't play well in a highly structured environment.
*I believe a crazy player can't fit into this structed/conservative offense.
*I believe these CORE players Tinsley, Artest, Jackson & O'Neal feel like they would play better in an open, four on the floor, pedal to the metal style offense w/ all the flash, fame and highlights they can handle.

I don't know if they would be any better, but I think that's the problem.

Kstat
01-23-2006, 05:26 PM
between this and the Len Bias discussion, I think we've had a really rough day.....

I don't see what the Celtics of the 80's have to do with Rick Carlisle's slow, methodical & torturous offensive schemes. The point of my post:

*Pacers' core players and Pacers' coaching staff are out of touch, not in step with each other.
*I believe a street ballin' point guard doesn't fit well with a structured/conservative offense.
*I believe two guys who bypassed college won't play well in a highly structured environment.
*I believe a crazy player can't fit into this structed/conservative offense.
*I believe these CORE players Tinsley, Artest, Jackson & O'Neal feel like they would play better in an open, four on the floor, pedal to the metal style offense w/ all the flash, fame and highlights they can handle.

I don't know if they would be any better, but I think that's the problem.

1. If the players cant accept structure, they're the problem, not the coaching staff.

2. It has nothing to do with skin color.

3. If Tinsley and Oneal are unable to cope with a winning forumla, then fire carlisle and make them the coahces. I'm sure they woudl do so much better.

Oh wait. I forgot these guys all played the transition game under Zeke and sucked. Nevermind.

317Kim
01-23-2006, 05:29 PM
between this and the Len Bias discussion, I think we've had a really rough day.

:amen:

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Well you may have a point if you leave out the racial stuff.

The same thing you say about Tinsley the street baller you might say about Jason Williams of the Heat.

If you think that this offense and it's structure is too complicated, limiting, boring, and confining to motivate and excite our players, I think that point may have some degree of truth.

race is irrelevant in that discussion however.

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
race is irrelevant in every discussion

Anthem
I don't like watching the offense. I can't imagine how I'd feel playing in it.

able
wow talking about derailment; back to topic ?

What did Reggie mean, with this and his earlier statement that Ron was not the problem?

After all he said about JO we can negate the possibillity that it is JO, so that leaves just a few to be "the problem" IF the problem is "a person":

Jackson, not unlikley
Tinsley, slightly less likely

Considering Jeff, Cro, Fred, David, AJ, Danny, Gill, Polly and Bendy very unlikely and Saras unlikely.

O'Neil is an option, so is Rick.

If it is O'Neil then it is indirect also Rick, and I refer to earlier posts wherein I expressed my fear of the combination of the two to make clear why that is a very likely cause.

The more I hear, the more I read the more I get the feeling that coaching staff and players are done with each other.

Jax remains a pain in the butt, and can well be a big reason, perhaps even bigger then the coaching staff problem.

No matter what, TPYB better do something about it.

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
maybe reggie means the front office

Evan_The_Dude
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
If you remember what Reggie said in his debut on TNT, you can then put that with what he thinks this teams problem is. "Emotional players". Who's the most emotional player on our roster right now? Stephen Jackson. Stephen has even admitted to this himself. I'd bet a paycheck that this is what he's talking about.

Ragnar
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I love how everyone thinks Reggie mean what THEY want him to mean even though none of us have any idea.

Mourning
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
O'Neil is an option, so is Rick.

If it is O'Neil then it is indirect also Rick, and I refer to earlier posts wherein I expressed my fear of the combination of the two to make clear why that is a very likely cause.

The more I hear, the more I read the more I get the feeling that coaching staff and players are done with each other.

I don't believe that. The simple reason that Reggie decided before halfway last season too make it his last season, that was well before Brown was beying courted by Cleveland, didn't they have Silas at the time? Sure, he was bound to be going, sooner or later.

I like Reggie, but I don't see him having this kind of foresight, so I don't buy it, sorry ;).

IF he meant someone, I still think he meant Ron or Stephen as they were obviously respectively the most unpredictable (and thus risky) and the most volatile players in our group. Maybe, Tinsley, I remember some tension when his injury just wound get better and he blamed the team doctors (right?). Not too strange btw considering the number of injuries the last couple of seasons.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jermaniac
01-23-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't like watching the offense. I can't imagine how I'd feel playing in it.Very true, how could you be motivated to play when basketball just isnt fun to you anymore.

Bball
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I love how everyone thinks Reggie mean what THEY want him to mean even though none of us have any idea.

I was just thinking the same thing....

-Bball

Kegboy
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
If race were an issue with Rick, people wouldn't be complaining about a lack of PT for Cabbage and Austin, or Okur in Detroit. I'm fairly certain that Rick preferred Jalen over Mully back in the day, as well.

We all know that Rick's an age-ist, anyway. :-p

Kegboy
01-23-2006, 06:12 PM
I was just thinking the same thing....

-Bball
So, you're saying, it's not all Cabbage's fault? Damn. ;)

Bball
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
So, you're saying, it's not all Cabbage's fault? Damn. ;)

It's clear he meant Donnie Walsh never taking a proactive stance with the team...

:-p

-BBall

Jaydawg2270
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
i think he means walsh too

Kegboy
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
It's clear he meant Donnie Walsh never taking a proactive stance with the team...

:-p

-BBall

It's not Bender? Are you sure???

Will Galen
01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
race is irrelevant in every discussion

Not in the Indy 500.

Get it? (grin)

Ragnar
01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Not in the Indy 500.

Get it? (grin)

Except it has not been a real race in a decade now so no not even in the Indy 497.5

Bball
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Except it has not been a real race in a decade now so no not even in the Indy 497.5

Regardless... It was still a (very) moving moment when the Indy 500 crowd started chanting "Reggie Reggie" when Reggie was introduced as the flag waver for the race last year.

-BBall

brichard
01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I think Reap and Sow have a couple of different connotations in people's mind.

1. You could think that Larry/Donnie are evil and they are getting their just desserts. They are reaping what they have sowed. I think this tactic is highly unlikely as Reggie is very thankful of Donnie and Larry.

2. GIGO. If you plant screwed up people in your soil, you are going to get a screwed up result.

The Pacers have built this team around some malcontents. Time and time again we have heard the emotional issues surrounding Jax, JO, Artest, and Tinsley. And I think Reggie is calling them out on trying to make sense out of that emotional chaos. I get the feeling he has warned them about this in the past and they didn't take his advice. We were hopeful they would change, and they didn't.

I've not read anything that makes me think Reggie has anything but love for Donnie, Larry, or Rick. Rick lavished praise on Reggie last year and everybody knows RC is one of the best "X/O" guys out there. Reggie's frustration has been related to the lack of work ethic, fundamentals, and the blatant selfish characteristics of many people on the current team.

Man I'm glad I didn't watch the game tonight.

grace
01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I've wondered MANY times how much Ron Artest had to do with Reggie not coming back for another year on what looked to be a stacked team needing only his skills.
It's been hinted at from time to time.
Maybe he just gave his version..........

:sigh: :banghead: Prior to Reggie's last season he went on David Letterman and said he'd play ONE MORE YEAR. He didn't say "I'll play next year and see how it goes." He said ONE MORE YEAR. Even if things had gone differently I seriously doubt he would have changed his mind.

naptownmenace
01-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I remember that season. It was two seasons ago. There's a possibilty these guys just don't want to hear it anymore and want to play the style they think is best for them.

Well as many have said, those players should be gone if they are thinking that way because Rick's style of play works and the Pistons won a championship with a nearly identical style. The Spurs have won two of them in the last 3 years with this style.

So who's right, the players or the coach? I have to go with the coach on this one.

BTW, the only players I think have a problem with this is probably Tinsley and Artest. AJ and Saras might agree with them too but I don't think Jack or JO or any other player is struggling in this system.

Unclebuck
01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Every player thinks and says they want to run more and every player wants more offensive freedom. And if you can tell me the last NBA championship that played the way most players want to play, I'll give you a $1,000

Bball
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
:sigh: :banghead: Prior to Reggie's last season he went on David Letterman and said he'd play ONE MORE YEAR. He didn't say "I'll play next year and see how it goes." He said ONE MORE YEAR. Even if things had gone differently I seriously doubt he would have changed his mind.

That's easy to say...now... But what if last year had played out differently, the team come together, and we lost in game 7 of the ECF's instead of had 11/19?

IOW... 11/19 (and the team makeup) made Reggie's decision very easy, and easy to stick to.

-Bball

NPFII
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Every player thinks and says they want to run more and every player wants more offensive freedom. And if you can tell me the last NBA championship that played the way most players want to play, I'll give you a $1,000

2004-2005 San Antonio Spurs.

I take major credit cards.

grace
01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
For those of you who didn't hear the interview or if you'd like to go back and hear it again.

http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll/insider/radio/archive?name=dp_podcast&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fpro xy%2fproxy.dll%2finsider%2fradio%2farchive%3fname% 3ddp_podcast

I know it says insider, but I don't subscribe and I can listen to it. If the link doesn't work just go to The Dan Patrick Show page on ESPN.com and look for the insider podcast archive on the right hand side.

First of all if you don't want to listen to them rehash Kobe just ff to the 8:45 mark in the interview.

Now as for my take on the one minute and 20 seconds Reggie talked about the Pacers. I don't know how anyone can guess as to what Reggie was getting at when he made the reap and sow comment. For all I know he meant it as a general statement.

For those of you who don't want to or can't listen to the interview here's a recap of what Reggie said about the Pacers: he thinks we won't trade Ron because we won't get anything in return (Donne and Larry don't want to trade him if we can't get anything back); Ron's jacket he wears to Staples Center is ugly; the Pacers are bad because they lost at home to Chicago by 15 points (imagine what he'd say after Monday's game); you reap what you sow.

On a side note Larry Bird won't be on The Dan Patrick Show until after the trade goes through. (Sounds to me like Larry is dragging his feet about the trade because he doesn't want to have to talk to Dan. :D )

grace
01-24-2006, 11:29 AM
That's easy to say...now... But what if last year had played out differently, the team come together, and we lost in game 7 of the ECF's instead of had 11/19?

IOW... 11/19 (and the team makeup) made Reggie's decision very easy, and easy to stick to.

-Bball

It's been easy for me to say every day since Reggie said it in the first place. I never once thought he'd change his mind.

Slick Pinkham
01-24-2006, 11:36 AM

1977 NBA Finals NBA Finals (4-2): Portland Trail Blazers over Philadelphia 76ers

Game 1 (1977-05-22 at PHI) PHI 107, POR 101 PHI leads 1-0
Game 2 (1977-05-26 at PHI) PHI 107, POR 89 PHI leads 2-0
Game 3 (1977-05-29 at POR) POR 129, PHI 107 PHI leads 2-1
Game 4 (1977-05-31 at POR) POR 130, PHI 98 Tied 2-2
Game 5 (1977-06-03 at PHI) POR 110, PHI 104 POR leads 3-2
Game 6 (1977-06-05 at POR) POR 109, PHI 107 POR wins 4-2

Dr. J vs. Bill Walton & company

fast break basketball both ways

check or money order is just fine