PDA

View Full Version : Apathy

brichard
01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Man, I get more apathetic by the day. I read Buck's thread about wanting to watch a movie instead and I totally agree. I've never been the diehards that Peck and Buck have been. I can barely justify going to a game once in awhile, much less every game, but I do like to watch them as much as possible.

However, everytime I talk to my brother he says he just doesn't enjoy watching this team play. It is just the antithesis of Indiana basketball. No cohesiveness, synnergy, fundamentals. It is all one great big pile of crap. I'll never switch my team allegiance, but I'm also not going to spend what little free time I have watching this.... blah play.

I'll forever love my Pacers and I may just be in a funk, but I suspect I'm not the only one.

:goodnight

I'm not really sure who is to blame and I'm not sure I care (hence the whole apathy thing I'm feeling.) Obviously it all falls under Donnie, so he bares the overall blame. I'm actually proud of him for making risks on the HS players, and guys like Artest. It sucks that it didn't work out, but at least he tried. Guys who dislike Walsh can still say he stinks, but they can't say he hasn't taken some risks.

I was reading about the Broncos and how people were ridiculing their offseason moves. Many of their attempts, like trying to bring in Jerry Rice, failed. But, some of their moves panned out and they came out ahead.

Hicks
01-23-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm feeling largely apathetic as well. I watch the games, but I'll let my attention wander easily now, rather than being glued to the game. I remember a time not long ago when I'd wait to do anything until a timeout was called and it went to commercials. Now I leave in the middle of play sometimes to go to the other room for a minute, or look something up on the internet.

Doug in CO
01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
I usually live and die with the team - this year - I just do not like the team - if you could call it a team - so... yeah... I have apathy. Of course this does not stop me from watching most games and doling out $150 for Tuesday nights game.

I gotta work on my apathy.

Bball
01-23-2006, 12:13 AM
I don't think Hoosierland is ever going to be 'for' JO Isoball. It's one thing when things are working (IE: the team winning) but I don't think it's anything but a giant turnoff when the team is nose diving.

If that's what we're going to do then it's expected we're going to lose.

-Bball

grace
01-23-2006, 12:17 AM
I think my sig pretty much says it all.

McKeyFan
01-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm feeling largely apathetic as well. I watch the games, but I'll let my attention wander easily now, rather than being glued to the game. I remember a time not long ago when I'd wait to do anything until a timeout was called and it went to commercials. Now I leave in the middle of play sometimes to go to the other room for a minute, or look something up on the internet.

One word: TIVO.

Hicks
01-23-2006, 12:20 AM
I have a DVR now. I don't even feel like pausing some times.

McKeyFan
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
On topic, I think Jax is a major contributor to this apathy. While Tinsley, Artest, and others have apparently had attitude problems and selfishness, ball-hogging issues, at least they were somewhat concealed and had to be discovered through investigation, often by the forum here.

Jax, on the other hand, is just plain in-your-face bad attitude, loudmouth, I'll do my own thing and not pass and jack [sic] it up whenever I can kind of guy. I truly despise him. He makes me ashamed to be a Pacer fan.

SoupIsGood
01-23-2006, 12:27 AM
David is starting! How can you be apathetic?! ;)

abington
01-23-2006, 12:32 AM
For me its the loss of Reggie. Even when the team was going through its struggles it was still fun to watch him. now they just feel like a rudderless ship drifting into nowhere.

grace
01-23-2006, 12:37 AM
One word: TIVO.

You got that right. I never watch a game in regular speed now unless Reggie is a commentator or we're playing the Bulls.

Tim
01-23-2006, 12:40 AM
You got that right. I never watch a game in regular speed now unless Reggie is a commentator or we're playing the Bulls.

The only bad thing about the DVR is that you can't DVR Mark and Slick.

I haven't listened to the radio much since I got mine, sorry Mark.

slyder
01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
in recent years things always felt
like we were building toward....something
good, the team and their tenacious effort
was something to be proud of. i really didn't
follow the team much till brown came to town,
and we did have a few good years.

i'm just not proud of this team anymore
and losing interest. i can handle less than
great seasons, but this "team" is a combination
of personalities and skills that just doesn't add up,
not to mention the stuff we have seen out of
ron and more recently s jax.

it's time to blow it up. past time, actually.
i would like to see a core group of the solid citizens
like JO, Saras, Cro, Granger, Freddy, AJ and move
virtually everyone else. i am probably in the minority
here but i really do believe that character is THE
intangible that is a must in a stable / successful team.

i'll watch the trade w/ interest, but i don't see that
as being a turning point. if management doesn't
pursue some truly radical personnel shifts this off-season, it will be hard for me to sustain much interest.

go IU.

Lbuckingham
01-23-2006, 12:58 AM
I just wanted to chime in and let be known that this thread is one of the first to hit a chord with me for awhile. Quite honestly the only thing keeping me interested at this point IS the Artest trade. Sure I watch the games, but i find myself disinterested in the outcome. If we win, great, but how did we win? If we lose, who was hurt?

Anyway, I feel like maybe I am being unfair to say blow the team up and start over regardless of the talent we get in exchange, but if we don't get something young for the future to get behind ala (Bynum, Diogu) to go with Granger, I don't know how I can stay interested. At least the bottom teams can talk about what great talent they are drafting or watching develop, but lets face it: as good as granger is , he is no top 5 pick talent...the kind of talent you build a team around.

Sorry for the rambling....just my 2 cents

Believe_in_blue
01-23-2006, 01:14 AM
For me its the loss of Reggie. Even when the team was going through its struggles it was still fun to watch him. now they just feel like a rudderless ship drifting into nowhere.

For me Reggie was the link to the past when we had a team here we could be proud of. And I thought that we were had begun building back to that point. Now that Reggies gone, the team look like crap, and theres not really much about them that comes even close to resembling what we used to have.

abington
01-23-2006, 01:22 AM
For me Reggie was the link to the past when we had a team here we could be proud of. And I thought that we were had begun building back to that point. Now that Reggies gone, the team look like crap, and theres not really much about them that comes even close to resembling what we used to have.

I 100% agree. Reggie was the link to Mark and Rik and DD and AD and Heywoode and the rest of the squad that caught my imagination and love in 1994. Without him, the team feels empty.

jcouts
01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Although I wore my Pacer colors to the early Jan game...

Thankfully I live in Denver now and have an entertaining team to watch...