PDA

View Full Version : Let's get real about Danny Granger

3Ball
01-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Midway through his rookie season, I think we can say this about Danny Granger: not a bad pickup, but there are few signs that we have a star in the making. First, by the numbers:

PPG 5.6 (about 1/2 that of Salim Stoudamire, ATL 2nd round pick, and below that of Luther Head, Nate Robinson and Jarrett Jack, all taken after him)
RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

And of course, his +/- is -27, the worst on the Pacers.

Despite a few spectacular plays, this does not show a pattern of excellence. Basically, what it shows is that NBA scouts neither under nor overestimated his potential so far.

SoupIsGood
01-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Seth, is that you?!

317Kim
01-21-2006, 10:53 PM
DANGER = :5stars::5stars:

:rockon:

Anthem
01-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, Danny's not primarily a scorer. I'll agree with that. But he was definitely the right pick. He's played well despite getting moved all over the depth chart. He's a very solid defender, a decent scorer, and a good all-around player. I think he's going to be the perfect 3 for us for a long time.

Evan_The_Dude
01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
You're just looking at numbers. The things I notice about him is the time in which he makes the plays he does. Also I noticed he'll go 20 straight trips down the floor to the offensive end and be the only one to never be passed the ball. Hard to score a whole lot that way. I still think he's a star in the making. He just needs to be more assertive and he'll score more points. I think it kinda shows he's not totally comfortable with the ball in his hands yet.

I do like his stat line in 10 mintes of play today. Eight points, 2 blocks and a steal.

Roy Munson
01-21-2006, 10:59 PM
I glad they took him instead of Gerald Green. That would have been an awful pick.

3Ball
01-21-2006, 11:05 PM
You're just looking at numbers. The things I notice about him is the time in which he makes the plays he does. Also I noticed he'll go 20 straight trips down the floor to the offensive end and be the only one to never be passed the ball. Hard to score a whole lot that way. I still think he's a star in the making. He just needs to be more assertive and he'll score more points. I think it kinda shows he's not totally comfortable with the ball in his hands yet.

I do like his stat line in 10 mintes of play today. Eight points, 2 blocks and a steal.

Yes, I am looking at the numbers. I think it's too easy to get swayed by a player's highlight reel, and we forgot to notice how their really handling the game night after night. By the way, his Effeciency Rating is 7.8 (for comparison, JO is 22.8 and Bender is 8.0).

BlueNGold
01-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Granger has hit the rookie wall...and we have yet to see what he can do. I am sure that the combination of his passion, attitude, natural talent and athleticism will lead to great things for him and the team.

Outlaw
01-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I believe eventually Granger will become a 15 to 18pt per game scorer on a consistent basis. He will become more agressive in his offense with experience.Also I doubt Rick calls many plays for him.

Jon Theodore
01-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I see Granger peaking at a "Stephen Jackson" talent level.

Tim
01-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Midway through his rookie season, I think we can say this about Danny Granger: not a bad pickup, but there are few signs that we have a star in the making. First, by the numbers:

PPG 5.6 (about 1/2 that of Salim Stoudamire, ATL 2nd round pick, and below that of Luther Head, Nate Robinson and Jarrett Jack, all taken after him)
RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

Despite a few spectacular plays, this does not show a pattern of excellence. Basically, what it shows is that NBA scouts neither under nor overestimated his potential so far.

I am still high on Danger. I think he is doing fine considering the rocky boat he is riding in his rookie season. I don't think the coaching staff has really had the time to give him the attention he needs, and they won't until the off season.

tadscout
01-21-2006, 11:27 PM

RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

:stupid: I nominate this for the stupidest thread/ post of the year...

3Ball
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
:stupid: I nominate this for the stupidest thread/ post of the year...

Um, I vote against...

By the way, why?

Arcadian
01-21-2006, 11:39 PM
All those stats tell me is that he would be a bad fantasy pick. I like Granger because of how he plays on the court--I'm not judging him by highlight reels or stats.

CableKC
01-21-2006, 11:43 PM

RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

Its difficult to compare a 16th pick to players drafted after him. You have to take into consideration the team that draft them....the position they play and the needs of the team. You could compare him to Marvin Williams drafted 2nd and one could say that Granger is doing better....you could compare him to Raymond Felton and you could say Granger is doing better then him.

I don't expect him to put up great #s. But will he develop into the next Shawn Marion or even Shane Battier? Probably not for another couple of seasons.....but give the guy a break........he's just a rookie.

tadscout
01-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Um, I vote against...

By the way, why?

Look at the minutes of the players that you are trying to compare to Granger... they are getting more... also look at their roles for their team, they're in there to score... Granger is in there to hustle, defend, rebound, and lastly score...

So the other rookies are getting more minutes, and have roles that satisfies your stat reasoning better...

Also Granger missed the summer league and some of pre-season, so he's also little behind on development/ adjustment to the NBA...

Stats don't tell how good or not a player will be... a players skill and effort will... <o:p></o:p>

Hoop
01-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Granger will be a good player, still to early to judge just how good. Bring this thread back up 2 years from now.

DG-33
01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Granger's a player. He's not a big scorer right now, probably never will be, but it's his outstanding rebounding and defense that make him valuable.
He'll probably never be a big time scorer, but he's skilled enogh, athletic enough, and hardworking enough to be a 16 ppg guy.

Granger at his peak - 16.6 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.8 bpg

Eindar
01-22-2006, 01:52 AM
I see Granger peaking at a "Stephen Jackson" talent level.

You have to be the most negative fan I've ever had the disservice of communicating with.

Eindar
01-22-2006, 02:22 AM

RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

All of the players you mentioned are high-profile offensive options on terrible teams, of course their PPG look better. Also, all of those guys are guards, and Danny is a forward, one who is often forced to play power forward as a rookie small forward. At this point in their respective careers, Danny's offense is lagging behind those other guys. Of course, those guys are probably worse than Danny on the defensive end, but you didn't mention that. You also didn't mention that the -27 on the +/-, your defense against those who would tell you those stats don't tell the whole story, is a grand total for the entire season, and that, in fact, if you base it on a per game basis, he's actually not the worst on the team. That dubious honor goes to Jonathan Bender. Further, He's hovering around the same numbers as Pollard and Gill, who don't get a lot of quality minutes. In other words, that stat was manipulated by you.

You also didn't mention that he averages almost a steal and a block per game. The steals are even with Luther Head on a per 48 mins. basis, higher than everyone else by almost double. His blocks total is 7 times higher than Luther Head, who more than doubles everyone else on your list. Funny how you didn't bring up those stats....

Finally, Granger has a similar body style/game to Tayshaun Prince. If you look at Prince's rookie stats, they don't really jump out at you either, with the exception of his FG and 3P percentages. They're actually quite similar, with Danny being the better rebounder, and Prince being the better shooter.

In summary, you're wrong about Danny Granger. He might not be a max player in 4 years, but he's gonna be a very high quality player.

FreshPrince22
01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
You can't go by numbers with some players. I watch Danny a lot when I'm watching Pacer games, and he is definately a player. He just has a "feel for the game" better than most rookies. He's like Prince/Battier/etc. He won't blow you away in the box score, but he'll still have a big impact on the game. And he's still a rook, I'm not sure what you were expecting at this point.

Peck
01-22-2006, 05:28 AM
You can't go by numbers with some players. I watch Danny a lot when I'm watching Pacer games, and he is definately a player. He just has a "feel for the game" better than most rookies. He's like Prince/Battier/etc. He won't blow you away in the box score, but he'll still have a big impact on the game. And he's still a rook, I'm not sure what you were expecting at this point.

Word.

Look I try not to overhype our own players to much but what I can tell you is this, from what I've seen (not read in a +/- chart) Danny Granger is already a complete package skill wise. By that I mean there is nothing he can't do & in some cases he does things very well.

Salim avg. 7.5 shots per game

Luther avg. 8.9 shots per game

Jerret Jack avg. 5.2 shots per game

Nate Avg. 8.0 shots per game

Danny avg. 4.8 shots per game

So there is no way you can compare just ppg for these players. Danny is at best the 3 option when he is on the floor & in reality he is the 4th or 5th option.

I fully believe he will transform into our small forward for the next decade.

Mourning
01-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Word.

Look I try not to overhype our own players to much but what I can tell you is this, from what I've seen (not read in a +/- chart) Danny Granger is already a complete package skill wise. By that I mean there is nothing he can't do & in some cases he does things very well.

So there is no way you can compare just ppg for these players. Danny is at best the 3 option when he is on the floor & in reality he is the 4th or 5th option.

Yup! Rick has to give him more then the 10 minutes he gave him last night though :banghead: :shakehead:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Moses
01-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Give Granger some time.

I see him peaking at the very highest around 20-22 PPG with 10-12 rpg. Thats assuming he later becomes a focal point in our offense along with a few others. As it is right now, He's the last player on every play to get the ball. Beleive it or not I see him becoming alot like Tayshaun, just not near as ugly and not as long as Tayshaun. The guy can be a scorer..I watched him play in College and he seemed alot more confident offensively in college then he does now. I think he's in a little bit of a funk this year.

SoupIsGood
01-22-2006, 11:40 AM
The funny thing is, you can't really go by stats with Danny, but when he is on his game, he is an absolute stat-stuffer.

But that doesn't matter, because if you watch Danny out there, you can flat-out tell that he is a smart baller. With his smarts and his work ethic, you know he's going to develop into our starting SF for the next several years. The question is, how far will he take his offensive game? Like Prince, his bodytype and athleticism give him a lot of quirky advantages against his man on offense, he's just got to eventually learn to put them to use.

3Ball
01-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Word.

Well, ok, but why do those guys GET more shots? They're hitting their 3s.
Granger 42%, 29%
Salim 45% FG, 39% 3P
Luther 41%, 46%
Nate 42%, FG 46% 3P

You also didn't mention that the -27 on the +/-, your defense against those who would tell you those stats don't tell the whole story, is a grand total for the entire season, and that, in fact, if you base it on a per game basis, he's actually not the worst on the team. That dubious honor goes to Jonathan Bender. Further, He's hovering around the same numbers as Pollard and Gill, who don't get a lot of quality minutes. In other words, that stat was manipulated by you.

And this is really out there. Yes, on a per game basis, he does beat Bender (with a total of 20 minutes for the season) and Gill (by .1 with a total of 51 minutes for the season). It's hardly manipulating the numbers to say that his +/- is dismal. He is by far the worst Pacer in that department who gets regular playing time.

Now, just to reiterate, none of this is saying that Granger is a bust or anything like that. But just a reminder for those of you saying that this is a guy to build around, he hasn't shown that kind of ability yet.

jcouts
01-22-2006, 12:57 PM

RPG 4.00
APG 1.0
MPG 20.7
FG% 42%
3P% 28%

He's a rookie in Rick Carlisle's system...good numbers never come out of that...it took Carlisle 3/4 of the year to put the ball in Tayshaun Prince's hands from time to time in Detroit...

PacerFan31
01-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, ok, but why do those guys GET more shots? They're hitting their 3s.
Granger 42%, 29%
Salim 45% FG, 39% 3P
Luther 41%, 46%
Nate 42%, FG 46% 3P

And this is really out there. Yes, on a per game basis, he does beat Bender (with a total of 20 minutes for the season) and Gill (by .1 with a total of 51 minutes for the season). It's hardly manipulating the numbers to say that his +/- is dismal. He is by far the worst Pacer in that department who gets regular playing time.

Now, just to reiterate, none of this is saying that Granger is a bust or anything like that. But just a reminder for those of you saying that this is a guy to build around, he hasn't shown that kind of ability yet.

I think this is more about you not liking Granger than it is about you trying to prove a point.

rexnom
01-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Why are we even responding to this? Is there any doubt that Granger is the real thing? Is there any doubt that Granger was the right pick for us? Is there any doubt that this kid has the potential to be an all-star (if given the minutes)?

larry
01-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Granger has hit the rookie wall...and we have yet to see what he can do. I am sure that the combination of his passion, attitude, natural talent and athleticism will lead to great things for him and the team.
agreed w/ him doing great, but hes years away. hes still a rookie, he'll be tough in 2 years

3Ball
01-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I think this is more about you not liking Granger than it is about you trying to prove a point.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him at all. He seems like a likable kid, and he has his head on a lot straighter than most of our guys. He's going to be a fine role-player/backup for us for years.

tadscout
01-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him at all. He seems like a likable kid, and he has his head on a lot straighter than most of our guys. He's going to be a fine role-player/backup for us for years.

Thank goodness you're not a scout or gm or any other type of person the needs to be able to evaluate skill...

He's going to be a high quality starter if not an All-star in a couple years... <o:p></o:p>

SoupIsGood
01-22-2006, 03:09 PM

:rolleyes:

Dr. Goldfoot
01-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Granger is a rookie. He's played like a rookie. He's may or may not become a good/great player, but he's not either of those right now.

Pacers#1Fan
01-22-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread is one of the worst ever on this board.

Will Galen
01-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Thank goodness you're not a scout or gm or any other type of person the needs to be able to evaluate skill...

<o:p></o:p>

Reminds me a lot of NapTown Seth.

PacerMan
01-22-2006, 04:32 PM

Sure glad you have nothing to do with running this team!!!!!!!!

Kstat
01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Granger is a rookie. Only very special rookies make an immidiate impact in year 1.

Now that we've estabilished that Granger isn't Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, or LeBron James, let's move on and let the kid become whatever he's going to become.

Stop calling him a bust, stop counting his future all-star appearances. let the kid be.

Hicks
01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
And I would even argue he'd look a lot more special if he'd been drafted by a basement team and been their star player from game 1.

Diesel_81
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
And I would even argue he'd look a lot more special if he'd been drafted by a basement team and been their star player from game 1.

Your 100% correct.

DG-33
01-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I think Power Granger will be somewhere above Tayshaun Prince but below Shawn Marion at his peak. 16-17, 8-9, 2-3, 2 blocks, 2 steals?

Pacesetter
01-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Danny has some characteristics of a great basketball player. He's tenacious, he's extremely aggressive on the boards, he does have a deft shot which will keep on getting better and better as he grows. He is a pretty strong FT shooter, he has ok FG% for a young troop, and he's smart. Danny is coming into a terrible situation that has stunted his development in some ways and helped him in others. He is getting more minutes because of Ron's departure, but because of the insecurity at the PG spot and the small forward spot, he's expected to do more with less time to get adapted which imo will hurt his overall performance in the short term but will balance itself after a year or so. By All Star break next year I believe Danny will be averaging 24 mpg, 12-14 ppg, and 6-9 rpg. As a soph he should be cruising right along. After his third year Danny may make the All Star team, but that has alot to do with how soon our coaching staff can get this team hitting on all cylinders. Lots of ifs but hopefully everything will work out and Danny will be a great player. Same for Big Dave, but Dave isn't showing as much maturity as Danny is, imo.

McKeyFan
01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm extremely impressed with Granger, but not with his offense so much. I see him as a fairly inconsistent shooter who doesn't have a lot of great moves.

I can see him scoring 12-14 points a game in his prime. But I can also see him dominating the game in a Rodman type way, but adding even more with assists (he has good court vision) along with the decent but not great offense he brings to the game. (Rodman had no offense.)

loborick
01-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm extremely impressed with Granger, but not with his offense so much. I see him as a fairly inconsistent shooter who doesn't have a lot of great moves.

I can see him scoring 12-14 points a game in his prime. But I can also see him dominating the game in a Rodman type way, but adding even more with assists (he has good court vision) along with the decent but not great offense he brings to the game. (Rodman had no offense.)

How much Danny scores will depend on how he is featured in the offense. Here at New Mexico he was the first option, and he was a great scorer. If he was the second or third option and actually had plays called for him, he would be averaging 15ppg at least this year and more in the future. Danny does what he's asked to do for the team. Right now he's not being asked to be the scorer, so he's not. But if he gets the opportunity, he can do it.

Hicks
01-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Didn't he average something like 23ppg his senior year?

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2006, 11:46 AM
18.8 ppg senior year

http://golobos.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/granger_danny00.html

2004-05 • Senior Season
Garnered numerous awards, including 3rd Team All-American (Basketball Times), Honorable Mention All-American (AP and Scout.com), 1st Team All-MWC, Dick Vitale's All-Rolls Royce 5th Team, NABC All-District 13 1st Team, USBWA All-District 8, CollegeInsider.com MWC MVP, MWC Tournament MVP, and Comcast Lobo Invitational All-Tournament Team • Led the team in scoring (18.8 ppg), rebounding (8.9 rpg), steals (2.1 spg), and blocks (2.0 bpg) • Recorded 13 double-doubles on the year • Shot 52.4% from the field and 43.3% from 3-pt. range • Second in the MWC in scoring, steals and blocks, third in rebounding and 3-pt. FG% • Was one rebound shy of a double-double six times • Only player in the NCAA to average 18.8 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2 bpg, 2 spg and 2 apg • First player in school history to record 60 assists, blocks and steals in a season • 60 blocks are the 10th highest single season mark in school history • 63 steals are the seventh most in a season at UNM

RWB
01-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Granger reminds me of James Worthy.....That's a good thing.

beast23
01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I can recall when Bender was drafted, we had some folks who saw him in the McDonald's All-Star game and immediately proclaimed him as the second coming of Christ.

So, here we are six years later, and I can honestly say that even ignoring his injuries, Bender never seemed to "get it". He is one of the most fantastic athletes we will ever come across, but he simply doesn't have a full understanding of what it takes to play the game and hasn't acquired a "feel" for meshing with his teammates on the court.

Granger, on the other hand, has demonstrated more court smarts in the first half of his rookie season than Bender has in six years. The guy flat-out knows how to play the game.

Both his man-to-man and help defense is very good. His fundamentals are solid and he doesn't have any significant problems with knowing when and where he is supposed to be in the offense.

College players who becomes rookies in the NBA go from playing 35 games a year to playing 90. Their rookie seasons tend to become long and overly tiring. It has been referred to as "hitting the wall".

It has been my observation that many young players show improvement between their 1st and 2nd seasons, but tend to show the most significant improvement between their 2nd and 3rd seasons. Maybe that's just how long it takes for "the light to go on".

But Granger seems to be different; he seems to "get it" now. So, that makes me believe that perhaps the biggest visable jump in his abilities and productivity will come between his 1st and 2nd season, rather than after 2 full years in the league.

But clearly I think the premise behind the initial post in this thread is totally flawed. Granger will not only be a keeper, he is already looking like he will be a very good player.

naptownmenace
01-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Another thing we have to remember is that Granger's overall numbers are being pulled down by the the start of the season. He got off to a rough start and it took him awhile to understand his role and adjust to the NBA game.

Look at the minutes the others you mentioned have played compared to Danny. You also have to notice that each of those teams are sub-.500 and have offered plenty of opportunities for those rookies to shine. Danny didn't come into the season with the same opportunities.

If you only look at his numbers from the point that Artest went Artest, I'm sure you'll have a clearer picture of Danny's abilities when given the minutes.

waxman
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
No one said he'd be an all-star this year... I dont think we've even seen a 1/3rd of his offensive capabilities thus far. He needs the confidence to be more assertive on offense...right now he's just trying to fit in and make an impact on defense and the boards.

RedPitSea
01-23-2006, 10:18 PM
<!-- / icon and title -->Danny will be whatever the coach wants him to be and do it better than most on the team. He knows his roll and wont complain. Geez what do you want 3 ball? Would you love Danny to come in as a rookie and start jackin up shots all over? Then what, " Why cant Danny just play in the system and do what is asked". You guys have a great person and a great player on your hands you just wait and see. Dannys time will come where he asked to carry more of the weight in shooting and will suprise a lot of people when he does. Ive only seen like maybe 6-7 games (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122169&elid=8960#do_redir) but coming from some one who watched his every play at UNM I can tell hes still holding back a bit. I think hes more concernd aboutt feeding and D rather than scoring. You too will fall in love (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122012&elid=9759#do_redir) with the basketball (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=121768&elid=9515#do_redir) player that DG is.... I promise. A little something from the Albuquerque Journal you guys might enjoy

www.abqjournal.com (http://www.abqjournal.com/)

Saturday, January 21, 2006

From Afar, Granger Keeps Close Tabs on Lobos

By Mark (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122308&elid=9849#do_redir) Smith
Journal Staff Writer
INDIANAPOLIS— City (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=121639&elid=9386#do_redir) to city, arena to arena, Danny Granger is always on the move.
His heart (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=121570&elid=9317#do_redir), however, hasn't budged a bit.
Once a Lobo, always a Lobo.
Whether playing at home for the Indiana Pacers, or on the road (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122377&elid=9918#do_redir) in Boston or L.A., Granger keeps tabs on his alma mater.
"I either watch or TiVo the games (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122169&elid=8960#do_redir) when they're on TV," Granger says of New Mexico. "I check online to see how they're doing all the time."
Granger, who says he talks to UNM coach Ritchie McKay "twice a week," also calls Lobo assistants, current players, former teammates and even team manager Caesare Thys.
"It definitely helps me to keep in touch," Granger says. "That team means so much to me, it was a real special team. I'll always have that bond with my teammates, I will for years.
"I saw the TCU game on TV ... I was so nervous it was like I was playing again. I was like 'noooo' on each of (TCU's) last shots."
Fans were like "yessss" for the season-and-a-half Granger spent with the Lobos. He averaged 19.1 points and 8.9 rebounds for his career, leading UNM to the NCAA Tournament last March.
Lobo basketball owes a great deal to Granger. But he sees it the other way around.
"It helped a lot in preparing me for the NBA," says Granger, who transferred to UNM from Bradley. "That was the best four years of my life, going to college.
"... Coach McKay and his coaching staff, they worked with me every day to expand my perimeter skills, my shooting, to help me get where I am now. It says something about the way they coach."
One thing Granger didn't get from UNM was a degree.
Not yet, at least.
The civil engineering major was nine hours short of a communications degree when the Pacers chose him in the first round of June's NBA Draft.
"I'm definitely heading back to finish the nine hours this summer," Granger says. "I still have 24 for the civil engineering degree, but I'm getting those nine hours completed this summer for sure.
"... You've got to get that degree, man. My body won't hold up forever."
Something Granger says will live on is his love for UNM. He constantly sings the Lobos' praises, lending a hand whenever possible.
Last week, he met with UNM recruit Devin Ebanks and Ebanks' mother in New Jersey.
"They were at a game and I talked with him a little bit," Granger said of the Brooklyn prep sensation. "Whenever I can, I talk about the university, what I've accomplished. Whenever I can give a positive testimony to the coaching staff and the school, Albuquerque as a city, I'm going to do it. It's a great place to play basketball."

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ex-Lobo Danny Granger Wouldn't Have Career (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=121714&elid=9461#do_redir) Any Other Way

By Mark (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122308&elid=9849#do_redir) Smith
Journal Staff Writer
INDIANAPOLIS— His tooth was bent so far back in his throat it was sideways— courtesy of a Kobe Bryant elbow.
He's had stitches in his forehead. Stitches in his mouth. He's been battered, bruised and suffered a concussion. That infamous knee injury? It, too, continues to flare up from time to time.
And Danny Granger's having the time of his life.
"I've got no complaints," Granger says, flashing his patented down-home smile, donned in a retro Houston Oilers jacket and New York Yankees lid. "How can you not just love (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122012&elid=9759#do_redir) it?"
Save the physical fatigue, it truly is the lifestyle every kid who's ever fired a jumper through a netless playground rim dreams about. A 7,000-square-foot (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122371&elid=9912#do_redir) home, a brand new SUV and a multimillion-dollar contract (http://new.trafficsector.com/ezula_proc.php?uid=3774550&ezid=122557&elid=10098#do_redir) to play in The League.
But make no mistake, while Granger isn't the only NBA success story around, he is still in a league of his own.
Granted, it's been only seven months since he went from a struggling college kid to the land of riches. But money hasn't changed Granger. It's doubtful either will time.
"He's still exactly the same all right," says Granger's girlfriend, Dionna Kann, rolling her eyes with a smile. "I mean exaaaactly! I don't think some things will ever change. The video games and the computers? He's still on them all the time.
"Any time we go anywhere, he goes to the TV games area, 'Oh, this is a new game' ''
"Xbox 360," Granger says, when asked about his primary play toy these days. "It's real sweet."
So is Granger's other game— the one in which he makes his living.
The former University of New Mexico sensation has worked his way into a starting role as an Indiana Pacers rookie. And although he aggravated the knee he injured last season— causing his production to decline this week (a combined four points the past three games)— Granger still looks to be on the fast track toward long-term NBA success.
"He's a hard-working kid who's got a lot of ability," says Indiana coach Rick Carlisle of his 6-foot, 9-inch forward. "... I love his demeanor and his commitment to the game, and he'll keep getting better."
Indiana president Larry Bird says, "He's a tough kid, first of all. He's long, he's athletic. The thing that caught my eye the most is how he can defend, he can defend multiple players. ... The more he plays, the better he'll get."
Granger has been playing a great deal these days. The departure of disgruntled star Ron Artest, who has left the team waiting to be traded, moved Granger into a starting role. After averaging 13 minutes and 2.6 points the season's first 13 games, he averaged 31 minutes, 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds in his most recent eight games until this week.
The extra minutes, however, are speeding up the unavoidable crash into the Rookie Wall, that point of the season most first-year players experience, their minds and bodies seemingly slamming into a brick blockade.
Granger's left knee was so swollen after the Pacers' 98-92 victory against Charlotte on Wednesday, he didn't know if he'd be able to play at all Friday. He did, but just 10 minutes— going scoreless. Indiana is suffering through a rash of injuries, reducing the team to eight healthy bodies.
"We only had three guys on the bench (Wednesday), so I had to try and play as much as I could," Granger said. "But I'm feeling it. It's all part of the Rookie Wall.
"... You play a lot of games in the NBA. It can be a good thing or bad thing. If you have a few bad games, it doesn't kill your season like it did in college. But it's harder. Our schedule has been crazy."

Taking care of friends
It's game day, and after the Pacers' morning shoot-around, Granger heads to the team's gift shop to make a large purchase. He greets security personnel on the way to the store.
"Just the nicest young man," one female security officer says of Granger.
Needing to fill requests, Granger begins to pile jerseys— with his name and No. 33 on the back— over his forearms.
"These little ones are for coach (Ritchie) McKay's kids," he says. "I promised to send them some.
"... It's kind of weird," he says of seeing his name on the jersey. "It was tough to get used to. I'd see people walking around. When I first saw them, I was like 'whoa.' I'm kind of getting used to it, but it's definitely different.''
Rounding up gear for friends and family isn't Granger's only chore these days. His teammates require certain attention as well.
"He's a rookie," says Pacers guard Stephen Jackson. "He has to get bagels and cream cheese every morning. At the beginning of the season, he broke some team rules, buying things for different people— but I won't go into that."
"Neither will I," Granger says with a laugh.
Buying is something Granger— who signed a three-year, $4 million contract— has done often for other people. People close to him. The Metairie, La., native filled his new Carmel, Ind., home with beds, furniture and supplies last summer when he moved a dozen or so family members in after Hurricane Katrina forced their evacuation.
Granger's family has since moved back to the New Orleans area, where he says "they are doing a lot better now. I was just so grateful I was in a position to help. I'm able to pay for my brother to go to school, and I bought him a car, too."
But make no mistake, Granger says he's well aware of the value of money. He says he's heard "horror stories" about players who have tossed away millions, as well as falling prey to scams.
The NBA has programs that educate its players about certain dangers, and Granger says he's already seen a number of hazards firsthand.
"A lot of places we go, girls know who we are before we get there," he says. "They'll know your stat line, where you were born, what your sister's name is. They'll be at hotels.
"And then there are those who act like they don't know who you are, and then will slip. They'll say something, like 'so how was Bradley?' 'Oh, and you didn't know who I was until I got in here? Come on now.'
"It makes you value all the real people, like Dionna and all my friends back in New Mexico. I've got so many people coming at me now because of who I am. ... It makes me appreciate the real people in my life."
Kann, who started dating Granger at UNM two years ago, is one of those. She spent the holiday break with her beau, helping to decorate his abode. On Wednesday it was back to Albuquerque, where she is working on teaching degree.
"It's been tough with him so far away," says Kann, who also works as a nanny and a waitress at Souper Salad. "But we talk just about every night, and I try to support him all I can."
Granger says they aren't engaged, but that's "coming soon, real soon."

Rookie knocks
There are plenty of real people also trying to knock Granger's block off— on the floor. Being a rookie defensive whiz has it's drawbacks, especially when it comes to checking a superstar.
In a recent game against the Lakers, Kobe was torching the Pacers. Granger was summoned to stop the ball-hogging gunner, and Granger did just that four straight trips down the floor.
On the fifth, Bryant found a way to get a shot off— firing an elbow into Granger's grill that sent his front tooth toward his throat.
"It was just flat-out dirty," says Aaron Mintz, one of Granger's agents. "That's why Kobe has the reputation he does."
Bird, with a proud papa smirk, says "In this league, no veteran likes a rookie to guard them— especially when they know (that rookie) can defend. Danny's got the ability to be a very good player in the league."
Granger, who will likely need a root canal to save the tooth, finished the game.
"I had to come back, they needed me," Granger says. "It was so bad, the nastiest thing ever. (The Lakers') Lamar Odom was like 'Oh my goodness! Kobe did that?' I couldn't even talk.
"But I've got him next time, that's all I'm going to say— we do play them again and I will guard him again."
Three times Granger has needed stitches in a game, and once received a concussion— something he didn't know until after the contest. But as with the tooth mauling, he finished every game.
"He's had a rough year," Jackson says. "There's a lot of guys in this league who get elbowed, get their teeth knocked out. They'll go in the locker room and sit the rest of the game. Danny comes out and plays. You have to respect a guy for that."
And in Granger's case, for a whole lot more as well.

GRANGER BY THE NUMBERS
$4 MILLION
Granger's approximate salary over his first three years in the NBA
Number he was chosen by Indiana in the first round of the 2005 NBA Draft
Career scoring average at UNM
Division I player— Granger— who averaged at least 18 points, 8.5 rebounds, two steals, two assists and two blocks a game last year
Friends and family members living at Granger's house during the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina

BIOGRAPHY
BORN: April 20, 1983
FAMILY: Son of Danny and Janice Granger, has an older sister (Jamie) and younger brother (Scott)
HIGH SCHOOL: McDonald's All-America nominee before his senior year at Grace King High in Metairie, La.
COLLEGE: Made the Missouri Valley Conference All-Freshman team for Bradley in 2001-02, averaging 11.1 points and 7.1 rebounds a game.

Highly publicized transfer to New Mexico after the first semester of his sophomore season, having averaged 19.2 points and 7.9 rebounds for the Braves.

First-team All-Mountain West Conference in 22 games for the Lobos, averaging 19.5 points and 9.0 rebounds as a junior.

Runner-up to Utah's Andrew Bogut as MWC Player of the Year, despite suffering a knee injury that required surgery and sidelined him for three games.

NBA: Picked 17th in the June draft

Hicks
01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
:mad: Once again the IndyStar totally FAILS to deliver this news. Danny Granger aggravated his old knee injury last week, coinciding with his decline in play. When did Pacers.com or the Star plan on telling us this? God this pisses me off.

Evan_The_Dude
01-23-2006, 10:34 PM
:mad: Once again the IndyStar totally FAILS to deliver this news. Danny Granger aggravated his old knee injury last week, coinciding with his decline in play. When did Pacers.com or the Star plan on telling us this? God this pisses me off.

Oh well that's just dandy. :censored: :mad:

SoupIsGood
01-23-2006, 11:12 PM

That is such crap. Both the injury and us not knowing about it.

317Kim
01-24-2006, 05:25 AM
So not only did he reaggravate the injury but he also got a slight blow last night against the Hawks? Poor Danger! :( I was wondering why he only played 10 minutes last night.