PDA

View Full Version : Walsh expects deal in "in next week or so"

Pacersfan.
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh reiterated this week that he's prepared to keep Ron Artest past the Feb. 23 trading deadline if he feels the need.

But he doesn't think he'll need to.

Walsh told ESPN.com that he remains confident that the Pacers can find a suitable trade partner in the final month of trading season -- as opposed to waiting for the offseason to move Artest -- after an all-but-done deal for the Clippers' Corey Maggette collapsed.

"I do think we're getting closer," Walsh said. "I do think we'll have something in the next week or so."

Walsh adds that the Pacers' preference remains a trade involving only one other team and involving as few players as possible. Without discussing specific scenarios, he acknowledged that "we'd also look at cap savings."

Artest, according to Walsh, has not asked to be reactivated by the Pacers since the initial withdrawal of his trade demand. Walsh also said he won't consider allowing Artest to play for the Pacers again if no deal is struck before the deadline.

"Our plan is to trade him," Walsh said. "We have no plans to bring him back."

Golden State, Minnesota, Denver and both L.A. teams have all maintained strong interest since Artest was made available in mid-December. As outlined here last week, New Orleans/Oklahoma City is a below-the-radar option in the cap-savings category, because the Hornets can build an offer around fellow swingman Desmond Mason and his expiring contract in ($7.2 million) in a virtual salary match with Artest ($6.8 million).

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38770/20060121/walsh_prepared_to_wait_even_longer_on_trade_doesnt _expect_to_have_to/

GetOdom
01-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Yawn Donnie with another trick of his no one's falling for it Walsh unless that person doesn't know how much you lie.

Hicks
01-21-2006, 03:28 PM
This was already posted in the Trade Rumor thread.

Will Galen
01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
This was already posted in the Trade Rumor thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17809

pacercoltfan
01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I just hope we don't end up getting the raw end of the deal. :mad:

Ragnar
01-21-2006, 05:56 PM
So much for the Ron will be traded Saturday crap

Bball
01-21-2006, 06:09 PM
At a date...sometime in the future...

Walsh "We expect to trade Ron before his contract runs out this summer. We have offers on the table. Ron's ready to leave the RAP tour at any moment if we get a deal done. Ron's in tremendous shape even though he hasn't played competitive basketball in the last 4 years. We're just narrowing a few things down. We want to do what is best for the team. I think in a week or so we'll have something solid."

Press Reporter: "Haven't you said the same thing for the last 4 years?"

Walsh: "No, no I haven't."

-Bball

blanket
01-21-2006, 06:39 PM
We have two decisive games against Cleveland this week that could potentially decide HCA/tie-breaker for the first round of the playoffs, so I don't expect a trade until after this Friday at the least.

Kegboy
01-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Whatever.

I'm reminded of a rule of thumb we had at a software company I used to work at. Whenever someone gave you a time estimate on anything, double it then go to the next unit of measure. Like, if someone says it'll take a minute, then it'll take 2 hours. If someone says a couple hours, then it'll take 4 days.

Therefore, a week equals 2 months. Since the deadline comes before then, looks like summer. :bawl: :suicide:

[edit] A month from now, when people are arguing that Donnie's never said we were close to a trade, I'll have to remember this thread. :(

Doug in CO
01-22-2006, 12:51 AM
I had to look at the date of the original post because I thought maybe it was from December

Kegboy
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
I had to look at the date of the original post because I thought maybe it was from December

Me too.

Jermaniac
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Of course this is the week, Donnie just needs till next saturday to narrow some more teams down.

PacerMan
01-22-2006, 03:38 AM
Yawn Donnie with another trick of his no one's falling for it Walsh unless that person doesn't know how much you lie.

Like you?

Bball
01-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Me too.

Me too...

-Bball

hoopsforlife
01-22-2006, 09:43 AM
We have two decisive games against Cleveland this week that could potentially decide HCA/tie-breaker for the first round of the playoffs, so I don't expect a trade until after this Friday at the least.

Does it really make any difference which set of players gets their butts kicked anyway?

I say make the trade asap and start gelling asap. I think this team and franchise is through this year. :)

Surprise me Pacers...please.

aceace
01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I have trade fatigue. I also think its glaringly obvious that this team we have taking thew floor each night is distracted by all the "is today the day" or "who are we getting to help us". I am trusting that Donnie and Larrys wait will be worth it. We had our entire team back last night against Chicago and looked terrible. Some of our problems are distractions and some is players not being in shape like they would if they had a healthy off-season. We need to get Mo-Ron behind us.

Dunk-OMatic
01-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Of course this is the week, Donnie just needs till next saturday to narrow some more teams down.

Doesnt he (unfortunately) already have it narrowed down to ZERO? How much more narrowing down is he aiming for?