PDA

View Full Version : req: info about Kenny Anderson

Kestas
01-21-2006, 09:32 AM
hi,
the team I support, Zalgiris Kaunas, signed Kenny Anderson. the guy did not play anywhere this season, but has 14 years of experience in NBA.
not the best of move, if you ask me, but anyways.. the team needed a PG asap, because they recently fired certain Ed Cota (also American) because of the disciplinary issues.
as he was the noticable PG in the Pacers a few years ago, I figured maybe someone of you could tell a thing or two about his personality and skills, that can not be seen in the stats? was his game team oriented and to what degree? how was he in the locker room? what was your personal impression about his season with the Pacers? and so on.. also, how exactly did he leave Pacers after the 2003/2004 season? all that would be highly appreciated.

Anthem
01-21-2006, 10:04 AM
He didn't get a lot of love around here.

He's mature and good in the locker room, no doubt. He's steady but probably not brilliant. Not a great man-to-man defender, but (no offense) in Europe that shouldn't matter as much. Decent shooter, as I remember, and a better-than-average passer. Good leadership.

He left Indy because we had no use for him. If Tinsley hadn't been injured to start the season, Anderson might never have gotten off the bench at all.

Jermaniac
01-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Tins was hurt at the start of that year? I thought Rick just flat out benched him so he can have vet starter.

SoThenRobbieSaid
01-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, Anderson started because he won the job in training camp, as I remember. It turned out to be a good wake-up call for Jamaal, though.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Can Anderson bring ball up court? If can, that's enough for Žalgiris.

Now Tanoka Beard is back from injury and Žalgiris has all-healthy the strongest frontline in the Euroleague (number one in blocks and rebounds). And they have Reggie Freeman, who averages 22ppg (3pt: 9/17) in the last 2 games after Larry Ayuso's release. He also had to play point guard last game after Cota's realese.

Slick Pinkham
01-21-2006, 02:01 PM
He is (or at least WAS) a very good ballhandler and a good passer. He doesn't defend well and has a range that does NOT extend out to the 3-point line (international even).

very intelligent player, but had questionable work habits.

Anthem
01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
He is (or at least WAS) a very good ballhandler and a good passer. He doesn't defend well and has a range that does NOT extend out to the 3-point line (international even).
He's a better defender than Saras.

denyfizle
01-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Kenny would be great for Europe! He's still a great playmaker and has still some offense in him. He's a real ball player. He can help a good team in Europe be a contender.

Kestas
01-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Kenny would be great for Europe! He's still a great playmaker and has still some offense in him. He's a real ball player. He can help a good team in Europe be a contender.

I hope you're right, man! we'll find out in weeks and months to come.

and thanks for the info, it was really usefull. and rather positive as well, which is good.
now I only wonder in what way does this search for clubs work in NBA. from the start of this season he was trying to find a contract in NBA, but failed to do so before the last deadline of January 11th expired (according to local sources). did his agent try to find him a club, or he was somehow participating in the serch personally? sorry, if this question sounds dumb, but i would like to get an idea about his shape right now.
and we are going through a stretch of extreme cold right now here in LTU (well below 0 fahrenheit? man, I hate those units..), so I wonder how he will react.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 05:12 PM

Nice to hear that.

Žalgiris started well this season, however lost their 1st place in group after big injuries' and releases' shake-up.

They have the strongest frontline statistically and probably not only statistically. Their both shooting guards looked reborn in the last 2 games. Point guard was the last and only piece they needed.

I hope they will do something memorable this year. It seems obvious they won't be able to keep Lavrinovic next season. It's the best team they had since 1999 when Žalgiris won Euroleague.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 05:22 PM
He's a better defender than Saras.

That's nothing good, we have Euroleague's best blocker Lavrinovic, Žalgiris leads teams in blocks. Anderson's too good defence could bring some mess in statistics.

Tim
01-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Anderson started because he won the job in training camp, as I remember. It turned out to be a good wake-up call for Jamaal, though.

Thats how I remember it except that the wakeup call was to Rick, not Tinsley. After Tinsley won his job back the Pacers went on a tear.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 05:33 PM
and we are going through a stretch of extreme cold right now here in LTU (well below 0 fahrenheit? man, I hate those units..), so I wonder how he will react.

I hate those units, too.
-25C is -13F.
-27C is -16.6F
That's temperature at Lithuania, geographical center of Europe.

Btw, the second former Pacer this week coming to get experience of real frost. Does it seem for Americans like an attraction?

recap
01-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Thats how I remember it except that the wakeup call was to Rick, not Tinsley. After Tinsley won his job back the Pacers went on a tear.

That was the 61 win year, and I believe they were on a tear with Anderson and it continued with Tinsley. Didn't Tinsley win the job while Anderson was out for a couple weeks with an injury....kind of ironic considering Tinsley's recent history.

able
01-21-2006, 05:44 PM
That was the 61 win year, and I believe they were on a tear with Anderson and it continued with Tinsley. Didn't Tinsley win the job while Anderson was out for a couple weeks with an injury....kind of ironic considering Tinsley's recent history.
We started of at 14-2 and when that became 21-9 (yes a 7-7 stretch) Rick got ejected, Brown inserted Tins who nearly brought us out of a 30+ pt hole, next game he started and never looked back
Kenny was not injured at the time.
so when we were 21 -10 Tins got in, 61 - 21 was final result

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Žalgiris president sabonis played a big part on signing Anderson. He knows Kenny from his time at Portland. At the start of this season Sabas invited other Portlander Rod Strickland (born in NY). Unfortunatelly, he didn't come. He told many ridiculous reasons. Then Žalgiris brought back drunkard (finally that became a fact, he was caught driving drunk) Ed Cota, who averaged 30 minutes, 4.6ponts 3.6 assists, 2.2 turnovers till his famous drive. At midseason they released 2 of their 3 New Yorkers Ayuso and Cota. And finally signed this New Yorker. They still have just two. They need the third. And I know one able for transfer.

Žalgiris needs to get a new New Yorker as soon as possible, in next week or so.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Btw, Saras shoud get along with Tinsley he could invite former NBA star for holiday at Lithuanian Euroleague's team after 6-7 years.

Jermaniac
01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
We started of at 14-2 and when that became 21-9 (yes a 7-7 stretch) Rick got ejected, Brown inserted Tins who nearly brought us out of a 30+ pt hole, next game he started and never looked back
so when we were 21 -10 Tins got in, 61 - 21 was final resultI'm gonna cry now, ohh man the good old days.

Kestas
01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Žalgiris president sabonis played a ..

why the heck are you writing everything you come up with about Zalgiris? do you think anyone here cares? besides, do you know someone from Zalgiris to talk about Sabonis' part in this deal?? come on..

let people tell what they think about Kenny, don't distract them with this boring stuff. if they'll want to know about Zalgiris, they'll ask or search the net. besides, I think Zalgiris are really not that good as you're trying to make them look. an average team with a very average-low budget trying to make the best out of it. and don't even try to question that or reply to my post with something equally irrelevant to the subject ;)

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 06:26 PM
why the heck are you writing everything you come up with about Zalgiris? do you think anyone here cares? besides, do you know someone from Zalgiris to talk about Sabonis' part in this deal?? come on..

let people tell what they think about Kenny, don't distract them with this boring stuff. if they'll want to know about Zalgiris, they'll ask or search the net. besides, I think Zalgiris are really not that good as you're trying to make them look. an average team with a very average-low budget trying to make the best out of it. and don't even try to question that or reply to my post with something equally irrelevant to the subject ;)

I wrote all that current season story to show how desperately Žalgiris needs third New Yorker. Starting with Strickland, ending with Anderson they were always looking for New Yorkers, well-known New Yorkers.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 06:40 PM

They finished 2005 at 1st place at their group, all big games played without captain and leader Tanoka Beard. 2006 started with two starters' releases. It's normal they struggled in those games.

Their budget is low, but don't forget Lavrinovic is underpaid and own basketball school graduates Jankunas, Maciulis, Serapinas get less then they are worth indeed.

Show me other team which stays that high after such serial problems Žalgiris had this season.

Maybe only the Pacers from NBA.

Rytas_Jega
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Off-topic

Situation:
Game statistics (one of the last Euroleague matches).

One team has 7 steals.
Their opponents have 6 turnovers.

Is it possible in NBA?

http://www.euroleague.net/stats/statsPartido05.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=11&partido=123

Anthem
01-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Off-topic

Situation:

One team has 7 steals.

Is it possible in NBA?
No.

recap
01-21-2006, 09:15 PM
so when we were 21 -10 Tins got in, 61 - 21 was final result

Not that it makes any difference to this discussion, but Tinsley did not win the starting job until Anderson went down for several games with an injury. That's no knock on Tinsley. He was awesome that year when he started. There was a lot of discussion at the time on this board about whether Anderson would get the starting job back when he returned. Obviously, what he got was benched behind Tinsley and AJ.

Rytas_Jega
01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Kenny debuted in Euroleague.

7 minutes 2 missed fieldgoals 1 rebound 1 assist.
http://www.euroleague.net/stats/statsPartido05.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=12&partido=135

Kenny made an impression of intelligent player despite not shocking statistics.

Post game quotes.
http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=12&id=916
Zalgiris guard Kenny Anderson
"Basketball is global, so competition here is also tough. Different rules didn't make an influence for me, because I'm playing basketball since I was ten years old. I was fine. I have been here only a day and a half, so I don't know the plays yet. I tried to help the team as much I could under such circumstances. Once I get familiar with the plays, you know where the ball has to be, I'll be fine. That takes time."

ChicagoJ
01-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Not that anybody cares, but my first post on a basketball message board was a scouting report on KA when we signed him.

I know I'm a few days late on this, but here's my take...

KA was an okay starting PG in the NBA.

Very overhyped coming out of Georgia Tech (between Mark Price and Travis Bust.)

He started out as a shoot-first PG that was quick but not a good penetrator. He was also on the same NJ Nets team as Derrick Coleman (and the late, great Drazen Petrovich), and they were a dysfunctional, underachieving bunch. Noone knew who to blame.

He evolved into a decent team PG later in his career.

He is even more fragile than Tinsley. He's only stayed healthy for the entire season once. And he really never played in the NBA playoffs except for one season with Boston. I did the math when he signed with the Pacers, he averaged playing in about 60 games per year (averaged missing 22 games per year).

Kestas
01-26-2006, 07:04 PM
He is even more fragile than Tinsley. He's only stayed healthy for the entire season once. And he really never played in the NBA playoffs except for one season with Boston. I did the math when he signed with the Pacers, he averaged playing in about 60 games per year (averaged missing 22 games per year).

thank's, this was very interesting!

however, it apppears he played in the play-offs with Portland in 1997, starting all four games against the Lakers. also according to NBA.com's player bio, he had 36 play-off games during his carreer (4 of those with the Blazers and 32 with Boston in one season? ;)).
well, we'll see if he's got what it takes. basically we need good court vision from him and good passing. scoring is not so important, - ~10 points per game would do nicely probably (if he manages ~5 or more assists and <2 turnovers, that is ;))

ChicagoJ
01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, but four first-round playoff games don't really count as "playoff experience."

Some of us believe the NBA playoffs don't really start until the second round.

canyoufeelit
01-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Off-topic

Situation:

One team has 7 steals.

Is it possible in NBA?

http://www.euroleague.net/stats/statsPartido05.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=11&partido=123

The Pistons had a game in the NBA finals where they committed 4 turnovers as a team if I recall correctly

Rytas_Jega
01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
The Pistons had a game in the NBA finals where they committed 4 turnovers as a team if I recall correctly

Oh, my bad, not clear phrasing.
Is it possible for a team to have more steals than its opponents turnovers? :)

The statistics from that particular Euroleague game are weird. Remind amateur basketball competitions. At least two blocks were stolen from Žalgiris, too.