PDA

View Full Version : Mavs wanted Brad Miller, Pacers liked Pollard more than anyone Dallas was offeri

Slick Pinkham
04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
I apologize for bringing up Brad, but I had never heard the speculation that there were sign-and-trade offers coming from them.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/040204dnspomavsdate.dae64.html

Notebook: Mavericks couldn't get Miller

Length of contract isn't what landed him in Sacramento

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks have maintained this season that the reason Brad Miller is with Sacramento and not in Dallas is because the Kings offered a seventh year to his contract when negotiations for the free agent were going on last summer.

That's not exactly the way it happened, however, Miller said Thursday.

The Mavericks simply weren't offering anything that the Indiana Pacers wanted in return for a sign-and-trade scenario.

"They were definitely in the mix," Miller said of the Mavericks. "But Indy didn't want anything off of Dallas' team."

At least, nothing the Mavericks were willing to trade.

Miller said the seventh year on the contract he signed with the Pacers before they traded him for Scot Pollard, with Hedo Turkoglu going to San Antonio, wasn't added to his deal until after the trade had been worked out.

Miller sat out Thursday's game with a sore right elbow, but said he would have played if it were a playoff situation.

Slick Pinkham
04-02-2004, 12:52 PM
I guess I don't blame the Pacers.

In looking at the Mavs salaries, I'm guessing they might have offered up Bradley, Najera, or Fortson.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

I'm not sure any of these guys would contribute more than Scot's minimal contributions so far, though when healthy I like Najera's hustle.

Unclebuck
04-02-2004, 12:56 PM
There has been a few threads during the season about this with links out of Dallas.

I do wonder who they were offering.

Shawn Bradley?

blanket
04-02-2004, 01:23 PM
I guess I don't blame the Pacers.

In looking at the Mavs salaries, I'm guessing they might have offered up Bradley, Najera, or Fortson.

Was Fortson a member of the team at that time, or was Van Exel still on the team?

Gyron
04-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I might have taken bradley? I've only seen him play a couple times, but I gotta believe he's doing a lot better than I've seen pollard play....

sixthman
04-02-2004, 03:04 PM
There has been a few threads during the season about this with links out of Dallas.

I do wonder who they were offering.

Shawn Bradley?

Something is missing in this article.

What really happened is this I think: The Pacers wanted a player that would entice a team under the cap to take Ron Mercer's expiring contract off the books. They didn't want to have to give up Al or JB for cap reasons.

The Pacers wanted Mercer (or someone else expendable) off the books as badly, if not more, than the help at center.

Hedo Turkoglu was the player that made the three-way deal happen. Dallas had no Hedo Turkoglu to offer.

wintermute
04-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Something is missing in this article.

What really happened is this I think: The Pacers wanted a player that would entice a team under the cap to take Ron Mercer's expiring contract off the books. They didn't want to have to give up Al or JB for cap reasons.

The Pacers wanted Mercer (or someone else expendable) off the books as badly, if not more, than the help at center.

Hedo Turkoglu was the player that made the three-way deal happen. Dallas had no Hedo Turkoglu to offer.

good point there. dallas has mostly overpaid, average players on their roster. now if they had offered nash, i'll bet it would have been a done deal, turkoglu or no turkoglu.