PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Mike Bibby?

brichard
01-20-2006, 11:21 AM
It may just be the times I watch him, but everytime I see him I love the way he plays. He has great court vision and knows how to play the game. He also has a knack for draining a "3" if his team is unable to create a good closeup shot. I can't think of a team I enjoy watching more than Sacto when they have got things going on.

Watching the Lakers play right now is the exact opposite of what I like to see. It is basically 5 guys watching a one man wrecking crew. When they do get the ball, they look like a deer in the headlights. "I'd better pass it to Kobe b/c Lord knows I have no idea what to do with this orange thing!"

Watching some of Kobes great moves makes for good Sportscenter viewing, but I find the overall basketball painful to watch. But one guy almost beat a pretty good Sacto team... pretty amazing when you think about it.

efx
01-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree with you on the Lakers. The problem with Kobe though is that who is he suppose to pass to. Look at the bonehead descions Odom did late in the game. He's the reason they lost I believe. Maybe Kobe needs to defer a little bit to his teammates to get in them into a rhytm but at the same time I can't blame him if they don't inspire too much confidence for him.

I am also with you on Bibby. Slightly overpaid IMO but he's clutch as hell and one underrated PG.

brichard
01-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with you on the Lakers. The problem with Kobe though is that who is he suppose to pass to.

Oh I agree, he is just surrounded by stiffs. Part of me thinks their next move should be a PG who gets them easy baskets with sharp passing. However, I'm not sure they'd know what to do with an easy basket if they had it. ;) They need lots of help, but I'm sure they'll get it.

efx
01-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Just to follow up. I think that Bynum kid will be a good player down the line. And I honestly don't get Odom. He had some really good seasons (the one with the Heat comes to mind) but recently he's been pretty bad.

CableKC
01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Apparently...he's an offensive orientated PG that can pass the ball, hit FTs but can't play a lick of defense.

Dr. Goldfoot
01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
And I honestly don't get Odom. He had some really good seasons (the one with the Heat comes to mind) but recently he's been pretty bad.

What are you talking about? Odom is playing very well this year and he played pretty well last year too.

CableKC
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Just to follow up. I think that Bynum kid will be a good player down the line. And I honestly don't get Odom. He had some really good seasons (the one with the Heat comes to mind) but recently he's been pretty bad.
To tell you the truth...its hard to guage any player that plays next to Kobe.

On a scoring level, its difficult to guage how Odom does when he's playing next to Kobe. Kobe takes about 27 FGA per game....which is about 1/3 of all the Lakers shots...giving about 12 FGA per game for Odom. To give you proper perspective.....JONeal takes about 19 FGA per game and Freddie ( since Tinsley injury ) takes about 12 FGA per game. Offensively, Odom is the 2nd scoring option on the team but treated like a 3rd scoring option.

You would have to look at what else Odom provides....he pretty much does everything else...he's the initiator on the Triangle offense dishing out 5.6 APG and leading the team in rebounding with 9.3 RPG. Not bad considering that he's outrebounding Kwame and Mihm.

DG-33
01-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I think Mike Bibby has been overrated ever since the 2002 Western Conference Finals vs the Lakers. He's a star scorer, and a scrub when it comes to everything else. Check out his assist-to-turnover ratio. Ouch.

Fool
01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I think Mike Bibby has the best maintaned fingernails in the NBA.

Arcadian
01-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think Bibby is underrated anymore. But he hasn't won a Championship so I don't see who he could be overrated.;)

I think is solid but on the decline of his career. He'd be a nice addition in the short term but not a player to build around.

As for the Lakers while they don't have a point guard I'm not sure Phil would want one. I think what they want most is an up grade to their front line.

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I think Mike Bibby has been overrated ever since the 2002 Western Conference Finals vs the Lakers. He's a star scorer, and a scrub when it comes to everything else. Check out his assist-to-turnover ratio. Ouch.

This is true. And at that time on these forums (back in the RATS days), a Laker fan known as LedZepasomething had the audacity to try and convince me that Mike Bibby was a better player than Kobe Bryant.

However, though he is a little overrated, I do like the guy for the most part. He definitely doesn't shy away from big shots and comes through quite often in big-time games.

denyfizle
01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I was a Bibby and Kings fans prior to moving here in Indianapolis. Peyton Manning could use some of Bibby's "cool" in the clutch. I still think he looks like Mini Me's dad.

Unclebuck
01-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Bibby is a very good shooter and a great clutch shooter. He was the one who hit the big shots for the Kings back when they were good. He does not turn the ball over, he is a good ballhandler.

His defense is average at best. He doesn't have blow-by-ability.

Peck
01-20-2006, 02:35 PM
This is true. And at that time on these forums (back in the RATS days), a Laker fan known as LedZepasomething had the audacity to try and convince me that Mike Bibby was a better player than Kobe Bryant.

However, though he is a little overrated, I do like the guy for the most part. He definitely doesn't shy away from big shots and comes through quite often in big-time games.

Hey Chauncey,

I'm not sure anyone ever told you or if you knew, but Ledzepcoltfan was killed in a car wreck about a year ago or so.

I know there was an entire thread on here dedicated to it but I can't find it now.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Bibby might be the worst defensive starting PG in the NBA.

Fantastic offensive player, but very turnover-prone and pretty weak.

He got away with it last night because he was guarding Smush Parker.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I think he's paid too much money.

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Chauncey,

I'm not sure anyone ever told you or if you knew, but Ledzepcoltfan was killed in a car wreck about a year ago or so.

I know there was an entire thread on here dedicated to it but I can't find it now.

Oh wow, I definitely did not know that :(