PDA

View Full Version : I'd love to trade for Odom.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Heck, I'd throw in Tinsley. Although AJ'd be a better fit in the triangle.

Anybody else watching this game? Kobe is so much better since he lost that weight. But every time he goes to the line, somebody in the crowd keeps yelling "No means no! No means no!" :laugh:

Sacto fans are just brutal.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Man, Kobe is dialed in. He's shooting from Reggie-in-the-garden range.

Jermaniac
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
lmao @ No means no

Jon Theodore
01-20-2006, 02:07 AM
I like watching the Lakers, i hope they can get into the playoffs.

DG-33
01-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Odom or Maggette will please me.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Odom really did make a bonehead selfish mistake.

If you're up 4 with 22 seconds left and 15 seconds on the shot clock, you don't try to score. I don't care who you have guarding you, that's just freaking selfish. Even Kobe would run clock in that scenario.

timmanis2000
01-20-2006, 02:47 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I think Odom or Maggette would be great. I would prefer Maggette if his foot or whatever his injury is, is gonna be ok.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

King Mob
01-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Odom is a matchup nightmare. I'd be sick if you guys got him.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Odom cost the lakers a win tonight
Yup. Hope they trade that loser.

bnd45
01-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Excerpt from the game recap over at Yahoo Sports:

*He finished the first half with 26 points, but grew visibly frustrated with his teammates -- particularly Odom -- when they didn't pass to him every time down the court.*

I like it. This realtionship needs to continue to sour so we can get Odom for Ronnie + Pollard. They only give up Odom if Kobe wants him gone.

Bball
01-20-2006, 03:36 AM
Is there a point where LA will sour on Kobe and it will be Kobe that is gone?

-Bball

mulisha
01-20-2006, 05:35 AM
The main times I saw Kobe get visibly frustrated is when they weren't running the offense correctly and made a bad play. Right now, he's doing most of his damage within the offense so it's not like he's just chucking shots up there. And yes, Odom did cost us the win tonight but it should be a learning experience. We're still the 2nd youngest team in the NBA and can only get better from here. BTW, I would love an Odom/Artest deal. :D

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Is there a point where LA will sour on Kobe and it will be Kobe that is gone?

-Bball

No.

indygeezer
01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Well over on the CL site they now have an "official" Trade Odum thread (12 pages long, 10 post per page). One guy offered up Odumb (his spelling) and Miami's 1st round pick for Artest.

Go figure, I guess fans are fickle everywhere.

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Ig, the "trade Odom" movement has been off and on for a while...last night really struck a nerve, though. That's one of the worst decisions I've seen made at the pro-level at the end of a game. I like Lamar, but he's got to make better decisions than that.

brichard
01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I watched most of the first half of the game and came away with 2 very obvious conclusions on why Kobe is scoring so much.

1. The players on his team are that bad. I lost count of the number of 5 foot shots Mihm missed. Kwame seemed to play about every 4th play on offense. What a bunch of stiffs.

2. Kobe is that good. The announcers said what I had already noticed, Kobe was barely rippling the net with his shots. The guy is just flat out playing on another level.

However, until they get him surrounded with better players, the Lakers are going to struggle. And from a Laker standpoint, I think Artest is the last guy you want. Rodman worked with the Bulls, but all he cared about was rebounding and defense. He had no desire to score.

Artest wants to be the top defender and scorer on a team. He doesn't say that, but he was option #2 over here and that clearly wasn't enough for him.

Hicks
01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Artest would make LA a lot better. Until he ruins them.

The honeymoon period would be fun to watch, though. Kobe and Artest. Yeesh.

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 12:41 PM

I think the truly scary part would be that you're taking so much burden from Kobe on the defensive end..all of that energy gets transferred to the offensive end. How many points would he score/game if he weren't guarding the other teams best perimeter player ever night as well?

This is why I've never had too much of a problem with his inconsistent defense. At times Bryant is a smothering defender and at other times he takes the easy way out and gambles too much. You only have so much energy to spend and ESPECIALLY on this year's team, they need that energy to be spent on the offensive end.

Back to Odom. I really, really like him as a player. He's always been one of my favorites. 82games put out this article this week:

http://82games.com/pelton13.htm

Basically its about how much better (stats, effiency) wise, Bryants teammates play when he is on the floor compared to when he's on the bench.

Player with w/o diff
-----------------------------
Brown 76.8 68.5 + 8.3
Bynum 66.9 49.5 +17.4
Cook 104.6 100.9 + 3.8
George 92.0 80.2 +11.8
Mihm 96.4 81.1 +15.3
Odom 92.9 91.9 + 1.0
Parker 100.5 73.3 +27.2
Profit 90.5 86.1 + 4.4
Vujacic 95.9 72.7 +23.2
Walton 81.2 64.2 +17.0

Notice Odom's difference in there, though. They really don't have a good feeling of how to play off of each other. Thats obvious watching the games and obvious looking at crazy statistics. The Lakers really need him to play well if they're going to win 48-50 games and at least challenge other teams in the playoffs. Odom's not the most cerebral player, so you can blame part of it on the Tri, but I think #8 needs to continue spending time with him in practice.

Odom's a very unique player, but I think in the Tri you have to decide one way or another how you're going to use him. Either he's an initiator who'll hang around the 3 pt line or he'll be passing out of the high post. I think expecting him to thrive in both roles in his first year in the system is expecting too much from him. PhilJax isn't the type to "make it easy" for a player, but in this case, they have to try something. They're playing well, but they can play a lot better with Odom more comfortable in the offense.

indygeezer
01-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I just really don't wanna go thru the media frenzy that will arrive with Artest joining the team. It's bad enough now, they are on TV seems like every week, add the Artest circus to this group of clowns (the media) and what do we have to put up with then?

Shade
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
I want Odom. I think btown actually has inside sources and we're getting Lamar. That's the REAL reason he decided to leave. :sarcasm:

3Ball
01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
lmao @ No means no

In my opinion that wedding ring on his finger also meant no, no matter what anyone else said!

CableKC
01-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Excerpt from the game recap over at Yahoo Sports:

*He finished the first half with 26 points, but grew visibly frustrated with his teammates -- particularly Odom -- when they didn't pass to him every time down the court.*

I like it. This realtionship needs to continue to sour so we can get Odom for Ronnie + Pollard. They only give up Odom if Kobe wants him gone.

If Odom is traded...they are going to want Foster back in exchange. Odom is their best rebounder on the team.

CableKC
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM

For you Lakers fans here....don't let that disauade you about getting Artest.

Repeat to yourselves:
:arrgh: Artest+Kobe = 2nd round to Playoffs :arrgh:

:rolleyes: :D

Anthem
01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
If Odom is traded...they are going to want Foster back in exchange. Odom is their best rebounder on the team.
I was watching the Laker team last night when I realized that if we put out a package of Ron/Cro/AJ for Odom/George/project, the Lakers would be getting three starters out of the deal. AJ's a good player who just can't initiate the offense... he'd be great in the triangle. Cro would also excel in the triangle.

They'd have something like Mihm/Cro/Ron/Kobe/AJ with Cook/Kwame/Walton/Parker off the bench. Chauncey may disagree (and he sees more Laker games than I do), but that's got to be an improvement over where they are now.

We'd be better off as well, although I'm not sure which spot we'd play Odom. Do you play a JO/Odom/Granger frontcourt, or a Harrison/JO/Odom one?

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
They'd have something like Mihm/Cro/Ron/Kobe/AJ with Cook/Kwame/Walton/Parker off the bench. Chauncey may disagree (and he sees more Laker games than I do), but that's got to be an improvement over where they are now.

?

Thats a tough one. I think I'd probably have Cro and Kwame starting, but Cro starting is a given as I think he would be an absolute natural in the Horace Grant role. Kwame's position interior defense has been pretty darn good so I need him as the starter. What I'm struggling with is the AJ/Smush position. Smush has shown that he can really take advantage of the extra attention given to Bryant by attacking the basket.

On the other hand, I do think a 2nd unit of Cook/Walton/Smush would work extremely well together, with Smush slashing and Cook spotting up with Mihm collecting the trash and Sasha bouncing around the top of the key.

This could also have huge implications to the Lakers long-term plans as well...if AJ and AC's contracts end in the next 1-2 years, exchanging Odoms salary for Rons will put them in a place to add two major pieces (the primary target being Chris Bosh)

Arcadian
01-20-2006, 05:32 PM
We'd be better off as well, although I'm not sure which spot we'd play Odom. Do you play a JO/Odom/Granger frontcourt, or a Harrison/JO/Odom one?

I'd like to see a Harrison/JO/Odom frontcourt and use Granger like Al was. Having to depend on Saras and Tins at point we would have to rely more on Odom to start the offense and putting Granger out with the second unit would allow him to develop his offensive game more.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 05:58 PM
This could also have huge implications to the Lakers long-term plans as well...if AJ and AC's contracts end in the next 1-2 years, exchanging Odoms salary for Rons will put them in a place to add two major pieces (the primary target being Chris Bosh)
I hadn't pondered that angle.

So if you're the Lakers, would you do Ron/Cro/AJ for Odom/George/Vujacic?

Eric_Pincus
01-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Lakers wouldn't consider that deal right now - they are not shopping Odom - and aren't even really trying to move Kwame. Also Mitch is a long way away from giving up on Vujacic - that was his pick.

rexnom
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Lakers wouldn't consider that deal right now - they are not shopping Odom - and aren't even really trying to move Kwame. Also Mitch is a long way away from giving up on Vujacic - that was his pick.

Quick question? Where did you hear this? I have read that they are listening to offers and not listening. So, both angles. Just wondering. What is your source?

Anthem
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
"They're not shopping Odom" is different from "They wouldn't trade him for three starters and salary relief."

The third player doesn't need to be Vujacic... just a low-cost player that's a legitimate project. Or McKie and a protected draft pick.

GetOdom
01-20-2006, 06:18 PM
His source is the voices inside his head :-p

rexnom
01-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I'd be cool with Odom or Maggette. I think the Pacers are deep enough, which is why I don't like the GS trades as much. Even before the Artest trade demand I was pushing for two for one trade to improve us (quality over quantity). Of course, I had no idea Artest would do this...

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I hadn't pondered that angle.

So if you're the Lakers, would you do Ron/Cro/AJ for Odom/George/Vujacic?

Tough, tough question. On one hand, the Lakers are looking for 3-run homers in the bottom of the ninth, thus the selection of Bynum over May or Granger. On the other, you can't swing at every pitch.

I think I'd have to give the players involved (read: Odom) more time to see if they can find their place in the offense before taking a chance on Ron. If Ron wasn't traded come the offseason and Odom didn't show any progress, I'd pull the trigger assuming I couldn't get a big man (Boozer) for him.