PDA

View Full Version : Do they have to be such babies?

Hicks
01-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Look, my respect has gone up for the Pistons by their play on the floor the past few years, but my God did you just see their toddler dance after a call they didn't like? I imagine their mothers saw the same thing when they said no more sweets before dinner when they were 3. Jesus.

Kstat
01-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Look, my respect has gone up for the Pistons by their play on the floor the past few years, but my God did you just see their toddler dance after a call they didn't like? I imagine their mothers saw the same thing when they said no more sweets before dinner when they were 3. Jesus.

No offense, Hicks, but you're not coming off any better.

They do that to get themselves interested in the game. It's an act. They're playing the Knicks, and they kinda needed a booster.

It was less from the foul call and more because of the fact they had just blocked 3 layups in a row.

I'm sure nobody else here will agree with me, but oh well.

Anthem
01-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes. But I might feel differently if they weren't up 20. I mean, you're destroying a team on their home court, and you scream about calls that go against you?

shags
01-19-2006, 10:53 PM

They don't do that as much this year. Last year it was borderline embarrassing the way they carried on and complained to the refs. Really toned it down this year, thank goodness.

Hicks
01-19-2006, 10:56 PM

They do that to get themselves interested in the game. It's an act. They're playing the Knicks, and they kinda needed a booster.

It was less from the foul call and more because of the fact they had just blocked 3 layups in a row.

:laugh: I forget sometimes how much of a mother-hen you are with this team. Excuse & Mud-Sling Inc. You not only defend their child-behavior, but you decide to throw me under the bus while you're at it. Niiiiiice.

Jermaniac
01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Hicks you knew what his response to this thread was going to be before you wrote it, didnt you? I knew it as soon as I read your post. Pistons cant do no wrong.

Kstat
01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
:laugh: I forget sometimes how much of a mother-hen you are with this team. Excuse & Mud-Sling Inc. You not only defend their child-behavior, but you decide to throw me under the bus while you're at it. Niiiiiice.

I just don't see the point.

I could name a dozen other incidents where critisism would be more warrented, but that barely qualified as anything. They blocked eddy curry 3 times at the rim, a foul was called, and Rasheed did a little foot-stomping.

It wasn't even ANGRY foot stomping, he was more or less laughing that the foul was called.

If you're the Pistons and you're up by 20+ in NY, you kinda need to look for ways to pump yourself up. They're just having some fun out there.

Not trying to throw you under the bus, Hicks, but I really dont get why now of all times you decided to complain about this.

Jon Theodore
01-19-2006, 11:01 PM

i agree because its true, im watching the game

Anthem
01-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Tell you what, though, these Pistons are scary. Flip did exactly what Bird did after Larry left, and they're better for it. Even if Ron was here and on his best behavior, I don't think we'd beat this team in 7 games.

Tell you what, though. New York could really use somebody like Ron. Too bad they don't have anything worth trading for.

Frank Slade
01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
:drama:

Come on Hicks you should know by know the Pistons like Mary Poppins are practically perfect in everyway..... we cannot question them.. ;)

And every team that beats them that was their NBA finals for the year..:-p

Although I have pretty much ignored them all year.. I am pretty much in the mindset of wake me up when they lose two in a row.. otherwise ... Although I think you can draw some good Comparison to them and the Colts of this year.. They have the luxury of Autopilot in a number of games... not sure if that will affect them at all down the road.. perhaps wishful thinking

shags
01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
i agree because its true, im watching the game

I agree too. But to me it's the new mantra of this Piston team, not to keep themselves interested. Just because you're up 20 against a bad team doesn't mean you stop caring. Just because you're playing the worst team in the league doesn't mean you take the game off. That's one of the reasons for this great start.

Jermaniac
01-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Tell you what, though, these Pistons are scary. Flip did exactly what Bird did after Larry left, and they're better for it. Even if Ron was here and on his best behavior, I don't think we'd beat this team in 7 games.

Tell you what, though. New York could really use somebody like Ron. Too bad they don't have anything worth trading for.I would give Ron up for Channing Frye in a second.

Kaufman
01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
:popcorn:

Kstat
01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Although I have pretty much ignored them all year.. I am pretty much in the mindset of wake me up when they lose two in a row.. otherwise ... Although I think you can draw some good Comparison to them and the Colts of this year.. They have the luxury of Autopilot in a number of games... not sure if that will affect them at all down the road.. perhaps wishful thinking

I'd agree except the Colts never had the luxury of championship experience.

King Mob
01-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably want a pick as well, though.

Re: Artest for Channing, that is.

Believe_in_blue
01-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I would give Ron up for Channing Frye in a second.

I doubt that they would trade their only bright spot in that dark garden.

Jermaniac
01-19-2006, 11:24 PM
I didnt say they would but he said they have no one worth trading for.

King Mob
01-19-2006, 11:24 PM
This is Larry + Isaiah we're talking about though.

Frank Slade
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I'd agree except the Colts never had the luxury of championship experience.
This is very true.... :(

Anthem
01-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I didnt say they would but he said they have no one worth trading for.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I should have said "With Zeke labeling Frye as untouchable, they have nothing worth trading for."

I thought that was understood.

DG-33
01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
The Pistons are really an unlikable team, because you're right, they're by far the biggest whiners in the NBA. Remember, Ben Wallace's whining is what originally started the brawl on 11/19.

SoupIsGood
01-19-2006, 11:56 PM

Hicks is not paid millions of dollars a year to post on this forum. If he were, maybe we would then have the same expectations of Hicks as we do a NBA player, which is to behave like a professional should.......... until then, I glady roll my eyes at you, sir! Goodnight

Pistoner
01-19-2006, 11:56 PM
The Pistons are really an unlikable team, because you're right, they're by far the biggest whiners in the NBA. Remember, Ben Wallace's whining is what originally started the brawl on 11/19.

A team that shares the ball, doesn't care who scores, all they care about is the W, have great chemistry on and off the court, starters on the bench in the fourth quarter standing up and cheering for the scrubs.

Now I am a Piston fan, so maybe my judgement is a bit clouded, but I have to believe that the only people that find the Pistons unlikable are Pacer Fans.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
A team that shares the ball, doesn't care who scores, all they care about is the W, have great chemistry on and off the court, starters on the bench in the fourth quarter standing up and cheering for the scrubs.

Now I am a Piston fan, so maybe my judgement is a bit clouded, but I have to believe that the only people that find the Pistons unlikable are Pacer Fans.

Just let it go. He's been trying to bait people all night with anti-Ben Wallace and anti-Detroit posts. Let him be and don't sink to his level. Put him on your ignore list and just pretend he doesnt exist. We don't need a flame war.

Also, he doesnt speak for every pacer fan here, trust me.

DG-33
01-20-2006, 12:03 AM

Can't agree with you. I feel the Pistons whining shows a lack of class and is truly annoying. I think the only ones who actually find the Pistons likable are Piston mother-hens.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Can't agree with you. I feel the Pistons whining shows a lack of class and is truly annoying. I think the only ones who actually find the Pistons likable are Piston mother-hens.
You're way too new around here to be able to say that without sounding like you're trying to bait people into a flamefest.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
You're way too new around here to be able to say that without sounding like you're trying to bait people into a flamefest.

earl?

Hicks
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
I know the idea that more than one person really doesn't think highly of Detroit at all may surprise some of you, but no, it's not 'Earl'.

Anthem
01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
earl?
Way to early to jump to that conclusion. Let's just move on. Give the guy a break, that's just how he lives his life now.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I know the idea that more than one person really doesn't think highly of Detroit at all may surprise some of you, but no, it's not 'Earl'.

Damn....

All this time I really though Anthem was Earl :tongue:

;)

Anthem
01-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Damn....

All this time I really though Anthem was Earl :tongue:
Nope, I'm writerman. :D

FreshPrince22
01-20-2006, 12:31 AM
What a weak thread. They just put on an absolute defensive showcase, and all that effort went to waste because of a "cheapy" foul. The reason this team is great is because of all the emotion they leave out on the floor. If "dancing around" after a cheap foul is called keeps them energized and playing well, I could care less.

Besides, the complaining is WAY down with Larry gone. Everyteam complains like crazy. It's just more noticable on the Pistons because Rasheed is a loud guy.

I would be much more concerned if they acted like they didn't care out there.

pacerwaala
01-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Hicks, I got exactly the same feeling when i saw sheed foot stomping and ben do the face thing. Tashuan had his usual arms up in the air thing (actually he does that on every call).

not that it is a big deal because lot of NBA players do it but I would like to see Ben, RW and TP tone it down a little bit. Kstat - your argument of that being an act to get up for the game is just WILD, to mildly put it.

Pacesetter
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
A trade for Frye and Artest would make sense + Isiah would get to keep his job in NY.

lol. ;)

indypacerfan54
01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
The most confusing thing about this thread is a pistons fan getting offended by a pacer fan on a primarily pacer msg board (even though there is some very good nba chat going on). kstat I have been reading this forum since its inception and have seen you post things about the pacers that have been hardly flattering ie. back handed compliments etc.

Kstat
01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Kstat - your argument of that being an act to get up for the game is just WILD, to mildly put it.

In an 82-game season, playing in a game where you can pretty much pick your final score, there's no real challenge there to keep the intensity up.

At this point, one of two things is going to happen. Either apathy is going to set in, or you're going to find a reason to get your adrenaline back.

The Pistons are never going to be perfect gentlemen, nor should anybody expect them to be. That said, they also dont do any more talking than most teams., at least not this year. They just get put on the spot because they're 32-5.

If you noticed, after that little display of emotion SHeed put on, we stole the ball on NY's next 4 posessions and the lead went from 17 to 27. It gave us a spark.

Old as Dirt
01-20-2006, 03:13 AM
I guess the Pacers never whin well not all of them ,just most of them

King Mob
01-20-2006, 03:14 AM
What Pacerwaala was saying is that your claim that Sheed reacted to that call the way he did primarily in order to fire up the team and not because he was upset at the call is pretty ridiculous.

"They do that to get themselves interested in the game. It's an act. They're playing the Knicks, and they kinda needed a booster.

It was less from the foul call and more because of the fact they had just blocked 3 layups in a row."

It's not "an act" that they put on "to get themselves interested in the game." I think they complain about calls because either they think they're bad calls, or because they're trying to influence how the refs call stuff, same as every other player in the NBA. But no Piston has ever said or even implied that they put on a display of outrage at calls that don't go their way to fire up the rest of the team.

King Mob
01-20-2006, 03:23 AM
That said, Sheed is a bit out of control with it. I've seen him go up to contest a shot and get all elbow, and start howling and high-stepping when he got called for the foul. Although it's entirely possible he's complaining more about the inconsistancy in how the game is being called; if he gets called for contact when they've been letting them play physical for 3 quarters, then maybe he has a case.

Ben complains ALOT more than he did like 3 seasons ago. Back then you could throw a crossbody block at him and if the whistle didn't blow he'd just pick himself up and keep playing. I don't know what's gotten into him. I don't think he complains more than average, it's just a marked difference compared to the Ben of seasons past.

As for Tay, I don't think he's bad about it all.

sixthman
01-20-2006, 05:16 AM

:laugh:

GetOdom
01-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Hicks I think it's called being agressive and having a determine attitude to keep things in flow.

alot of teams act this way i hate the Pistons but alot of teams have that.

01-20-2006, 08:40 AM
:blahblah:

RWB
01-20-2006, 08:52 AM
The most confusing thing about this thread is a pistons fan getting offended by a pacer fan on a primarily pacer msg board (even though there is some very good nba chat going on). kstat I have been reading this forum since its inception and have seen you post things about the pacers that have been hardly flattering ie. back handed compliments etc.

"I'd agree except the Colts never had the luxury of championship experience."

You are correct sir as noted by the above Kstat comment. STat is a good guy, but he really enjoys busting our chops sometimes.

indygeezer
01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Guys...I dislike the Pistons almost as much as I hated the Knicks of the Ewing era. But when you have a whiner like Steve Jackson on your team, you have no room to be pointing at other teams players. Although Sheeds and Bens act last night shoulda drawn a tech for each...we still have Mr. Knucklhead ourselves. Until ours quit we can't say much about theirs.

Chauncey
01-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Without reading the rest of the thread, I 100% agree with Hicks and feel the same about the Pacer and Laker players when they do it as well. Being upset with a call is one thing, but when you cry about calls non-stop it gets annoying.

Hicks
01-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Guys...I dislike the Pistons almost as much as I hated the Knicks of the Ewing era. But when you have a whiner like Steve Jackson on your team, you have no room to be pointing at other teams players. Although Sheeds and Bens act last night shoulda drawn a tech for each...we still have Mr. Knucklhead ourselves. Until ours quit we can't say much about theirs.

Of course I do. I don't associate with Stephen Jackson in any special way. He's a baby too. But the fact that there are scores of babies in this league makes no difference to my claim at the start of this thread. I could say the same about a lot of players. It's pretty sickening how prima-donna they all are. One of the things I like least about this league.

PacerMan
01-20-2006, 09:57 AM

LOL, I have been amazed at the friendly accepting attitude by pacer fans of piston fans that live on this PACERS board. Our biggest rival.
Says a lot about the quality of pacer fans.

PacerMan
01-20-2006, 09:58 AM
In an 82-game season, playing in a game where you can pretty much pick your final score, there's no real challenge there to keep the intensity up.

At this point, one of two things is going to happen. Either apathy is going to set in, or you're going to find a reason to get your adrenaline back.

The Pistons are never going to be perfect gentlemen, nor should anybody expect them to be. That said, they also dont do any more talking than most teams., at least not this year. They just get put on the spot because they're 32-5.

If you noticed, after that little display of emotion SHeed put on, we stole the ball on NY's next 4 posessions and the lead went from 17 to 27. It gave us a spark.

Sure. And Artests antics are only to fire his team up too.......................:rolleyes:

PacerMan
01-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Of COURSE we can. It's called 'homerism'!

indygeezer
01-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Of COURSE we can. It's called 'homerism'!

Good point. Least we can be honest about it.

Hicks....I agree, I hate it wherever is see it too.

Fool
01-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Kings Mob's last two posts are on point.

Harddrive7
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know what's gotten into him. I don't think he complains more than average, it's just a marked difference compared to the Ben of seasons past.

It's called getting a couple of championships under your belt and expecting to get more calls that he feels SHOULD go his way because of that status.

It's a respect thing IMO.

Fool
01-20-2006, 10:46 AM
IMO, its rub off from Rasheed.

Pacersfan46
01-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Hope you weren't a Reggie fan ..... :confused::laugh:

Reggie was my favorite player, and will probably remain so the rest of my life, but damn he could whine with the best of them. Yet, I consider him a class act for the dozens of other things he did in his career. Being loyal to a franchise, never calling a teammate out in public, stepping down and letting the young guys take more of a role without whining like other aging stars do .... I'm sure I could go on for a while. I feel the same about many of the Piston's players now, minus Rasheed. Anyway, if you were a Reggie fan, you're a hypocrite. That's the only thing I have to say on the subject.

Fool
01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Fan double standards? No way!

Pacersfan46
01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Fan double standards? No way!

:laugh:

Skaut_Ech
01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
http://mywebsite.register.com/db3/00208/sarunasjasikevicius.net/_uimages/21710157942cd5190aae79.gif

Indy Pro Sports, Crushing your hopes and dreams since 1976
:kickcan:

LMAO!! :tip::applaud:I was trying to think of a similar sig.

Knucklehead Warrior
01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Now, now boys. You can't say anything bad about the deetroit pisstons. If you'll remember they've won the last TWO nba championships ! :laugh: :laugh:

<--- We won BOTH years? Who said that?!?

Gamble
01-20-2006, 11:48 AM
In any case it does a great dis service to the league if you have
everyone crying after a call. I don't care if its the champs or
the Atlanta Hawks its something i can't do at work and i bet most
of you can't do it either.

IT creates a disconnect that makes being a fan of just the game and
not a team that much harder. I know its silly for me to expect more
out of guys whose characters are already questionable but
overall i can't stand it in any sport. Maybe i am the only
one but i highly doubt it.

brichard
01-20-2006, 12:48 PM
C'mon Kstat, I'm late to this thread, but I did see the play in question. It wasn't so much the fact that he complained, but it was clearly demonstrative. They showed more emotion on that play than I see families react after their new home is revealed on "Extreme Make Over."

And no fan can pull out the homer card on this one, b/c Pacer fans continually belittle the moaning and whining from players like JO, Jax, and Tinsley. There are also many folks who get tired of the flexing and posturing that goes on as well. Just play the game.

FreshPrince22
01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Of course I do. I don't associate with Stephen Jackson in any special way. He's a baby too. But the fact that there are scores of babies in this league makes no difference to my claim at the start of this thread. I could say the same about a lot of players. It's pretty sickening how prima-donna they all are. One of the things I like least about this league.

But you didn't. You singled out the one team that you KNOW has fans on this board. The one team you KNOW will get people riled up. If you made "general" topic about it, sure. But you didn't. You didn't even mention anyone else. This was intended to be a total Piston-bash thread. I mean, I don't really care, but don't try to "clean things up" by saying "a lot of players" now that you've already gone and instigated it.

Hicks
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
But you didn't. You singled out the one team that you KNOW has fans on this board. The one team you KNOW will get people riled up. If you made "general" topic about it, sure. But you didn't. You didn't even mention anyone else. This was intended to be a total Piston-bash thread. I mean, I don't really care, but don't try to "clean things up" by saying "a lot of players" now that you've already gone and instigated it.

If you think I did it to stir up the Piston nest, you can give that up right now. I've never been a fan of it, this one set me off enough to make a post about it.

NaptownBound
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
But seriously, is this not the pot calling the kettle black?

Don't we always complain about our guys complaining to the officials too much? I know one thing, I'd rather be complaining to the officials at 32-5 than at 21-16.

grace
01-20-2006, 03:25 PM

I got this far in the thread and then I decided I should just say my peace and be done with it.

First of all I agree with everything Geezer said before the above quote of Hicks'.

Hicks, what is the point of singling out the Pistons when you admit you could say the same thing about a lot of players? Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you're just looking for an argument. Or maybe you're just sick about the fact that the Pistons are really that good. I know it makes me sick, but I have decided to ignore them.

Hicks
01-20-2006, 03:31 PM
I got this far in the thread and then I decided I should just say my peace and be done with it.

First of all I agree with everything Geezer said before the above quote of Hicks'.

Hicks, what is the point of singling out the Pistons when you admit you could say the same thing about a lot of players? Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you're just looking for an argument. Or maybe you're just sick about the fact that the Pistons are really that good. I know it makes me sick, but I have decided to ignore them.

I've seen them do it a lot. I've seen others do it a lot. I see Pacers do it a lot too. Which one struck me in particular over the others for no apparent reason? The last one I saw when I happened to see it. Last one I happened to see? The Wallaces. Read more into it then that, then you may as well write a fantasy.

Napptown
01-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Hicks, what is the point of singling out the Pistons when you admit you could say the same thing about a lot of players?

Maybe because that is the game he was watching.

Why the Wallaces are crying on tv. I better start a thread on how Paul Pierce always complains:confused:

Every player does after they are in the league for a year or so. Granger will probably do it next year or whenever he becomes comfortable. If a call is argued give them a Technical. Get it out of the game. It sucks and everyone does it.

PacerMan
01-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Now, now boys. You can't say anything bad about the deetroit pisstons. If you'll remember they've won the last TWO nba championships ! :laugh: :laugh:

<--- We won BOTH years? Who said that?!?

Man, that is two UGLY mofo's.

Moses
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
:popcorn:

grace
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Read more into it then that, then you may as well write a fantasy.

I already do. I'd refer you to my Ron and Dave do lunch story, but I think it's lost in cyberspace.