PDA

View Full Version : What questions do you want the Pacers to answer before the playoffs

Unclebuck
04-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Besides staying healthy, winning as many games as possible, and playing well, what else is there over these last 7 games.

At this point I can't think of anything that I want or need to see.

Some of you I know want the backup point guard situation changed, you want Kenny. Well if you read the article on Pacers.com, and read between the lines, you see Carlisle basically saying that the backup point will depand who the opponent is. Fine with me, for the playoffs, I think you can get away with that.

Any other questions you have.

The game Sunday in Detroit should be facinating, who wins is not that big a deal to me, yes I want the Pacers to win, but I am more interested in seeing the matchups

Unclebuck
04-02-2004, 09:38 AM
here's something worth reading I think

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0404/02/h01-110901.htm

Pistons, Pacers have a lot to prove even before playoffs begin

By Rob Parker / The Detroit News

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- Big? Yes. The end-all, be-all? Nope. For the Pistons and Pacers, that’s where the playoffs come in.

Still, the much-anticipated Pistons-Pacers matchup at The Palace on Sunday afternoon, before a national-television audience, will be huge for a number of reasons.

First, it pits two of the three teams that most analysts believe have a shot to make it out of the Eastern Conference and into the NBA Finals. The Nets are the third team.

There’s also the Rick Carlisle factor. Carlisle, who coached the Pistons the last two seasons, led the Pacers to the Central Division title. With Carlisle on the bench, the Pistons won the previous two Central titles.

Mostly, though, there’s psychology at work. After all, the Pacers are 3-0 against the Pistons this season.

The last thing the Pistons want to do is go into the postseason with the notion that they can’t beat Indiana.

“Indiana has played great all year,” Pistons President Joe Dumars said. “Sunday’s game should be a great one.”

The Pistons (48-27) want to prove they aren’t the same team, and that newcomer Rasheed Wallace will be the difference.

The Pacers (55-20) have something to prove as well, even though they have the best record in the NBA. The Pistons surged defensively after Wallace arrived, so many view them as the best in the East. Hands down.

If the Pacers can beat the Pistons, with Wallace, at The Palace, it would be the ultimate confidence-booster for them.

The players aren’t the only ones locked in on this game. Pistons fans are, too.

Although the Pistons have won 10 of their last 12 games and have a chance to win more than 50 this season, many fans still have an empty feeling. That’s because the Pistons haven’t beaten Indiana this season.

That has, no doubt, caused doubt, especially with Carlisle on the opposing bench. Carlisle’s leading the Pacers to the NBA Finals is the worst nightmare of Pistons fans.

That would all go away, though, if the Pistons were able to beat up the Pacers the way they did the Nets in New Jersey on March 18.

No matter who wins, it still comes down to the playoffs. Winning when it really counts is ultimately what determines whether a team is good or not.

In this case, at least by all indications, maybe the playoffs are starting a little early.

Bball
04-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Can Bender actually play between now and July without being injuried?

If so, can he bring a new dimension to the Pacers' bench play and scoring without hurting the team?

-Bball

diego
04-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Things i would like to see before the playoffs:

1. Bender return to lineup and get into game shape and play injury free rest of way

2. KA secure the back up PG

3. like to see us build big leads if possible and sit JO, Reggie, Artest so they can be geared for the playoffs

Hicks
04-02-2004, 09:48 AM
I want to see

1. How we match up with the "new" Pistons

2. How well we do against them (as in, W/L W big/L big)

3. Kenny be the backup point

4. Bender be productive and stay healthy

5. Reggie show at least some sign he's not gonne be Casper in the playoffs again

able
04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
I think the Bender question is answered between the lines of what Rick said in his show and several interviews.

Bender will be important in the playoffs, therefore, he is now being iced, so noone gets the chance to scout him properly.
As he has shown us for some brief minutes, he mingles well with the team whenon the floor and is a danger from everywhere, my guess is that RC would like the question mark above JB to remain until the playoffs.

Same goes for remarks about the PG, blinding, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that Tins will be the starting PG, KA will be the backup, again, the fact he played so well only shows that they have practised a lot that way and it would have been a nice surprise :)

There is more going on then we know, that is for sure, but certainly no "questionmarks" about who the starters are, we are way to far for that.

I am also sure we will surprise a lot of people with a very determnined mindset and Ron's will be the one to follow.

Yes, they want the 60, yes, the would like to win Det. but both will be sacrificed for the sake of keeping the lid on one or two playoff surprises coming of the bench.

Not to mention a few sets that will have been added by then for those now not playing :)

Bring 'm all on, we will take 'm all down.

MSA2CF
04-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Is Pollard going to be seeing some consistent minutes in preparation for the playoffs?

Ragnar
04-02-2004, 10:25 AM
I hope that Kenny is one of the "suprises" you were talking about. I hope to God that Rick does not still have that same blind spot he had in 00.

I still have nightmares about Travis dribbling off the clock with the score tied and just wasting the oportunity to win that game. :sadbanana:

That has been my main fear all year. And of course it has been brought out by the fact that AJ has been playing in place of Kenny. Why would they ask him if he wanted to be traded if they were planning on using him?

Unless AJ is on the injured list or left off the playoff roster I will be afraid.

As far as Pollard they can cut him for all I care. He will probably be on the playoff roster instead of someone who will actually contribute. We have done it before.

ABADays
04-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Staying healthy is the main thing. Pollard will be on the roster because you can't have enough big men. I also think he is going to surprise all of you with some major contributions.

MSA2CF
04-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Staying healthy is the main thing. Pollard will be on the roster because you can't have enough big men. I also think he is going to surprise all of you with some major contributions.

Preach it to the choir my brother! :rockon2:

Ragnar
04-02-2004, 10:44 AM

I actually laughed when I read this sorry I just dont buy it. He has been here all year and provided nothing, now I am supposed to believe he will play well in the playoffs??

ChicagoJ
04-02-2004, 11:23 AM

I actually laughed when I read this sorry I just dont buy it. He has been here all year and provided nothing, now I am supposed to believe he will play well in the playoffs??

Well, Reggie doesn't have his twenty-five point explosion in MSG in 1994 if Tank Thompson isn't setting the screens and getting the rebounds. Tank had been virtually non existent the entire season prior to that game.

Lightning *can* strike twice.

I just wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

waxman
04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
My question with the Pacers is.... will they be able to maintain a high level of intensity and execution for 48 minutes every night... even when shots aren't falling and they aren't getting the calls.

I would hope to see the P's play with the intensity they did in the last Bucks game... to finish out the season and the playoffs..... when they play with that level of intensity and execution in all facits of the game... they can beat anybody.

Suaveness
04-02-2004, 03:06 PM
What I want to see is Fred Jones play at a high level. I think his playing of superb defense is critical. But equally important is him trying to score. He has the knack to drive the ball and get to the line, and that is SUPER important in the playoffs. Plus, he has been amazing from the line lately.

Snickers
04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Question I want the Pacers to answer: WHEN ARE THEY BRINGING BACK THOSE YELLOW ROADIES!?!? I LOVE THOSE THINGS!! :mad:

Well, maybe not. I'd like to know whether they can maintain a high level of focus and a winning attitude, without lapses like against the B*cks the other day.

I also want to know when Ronnie's gonna shave that freakin' mustache. :mad:

Gyron
04-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I want them to answer the following question for me as it has plagued me for a long time.....

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie rool tootsie pop?"

:D

Bball
04-02-2004, 08:58 PM

He would surprise me with ANY contribution :(
:unimpressed:

-Bball

wintermute
04-02-2004, 11:38 PM
what i like right now is that primoz is getting some auditioning time. true, it's mostly garbage time, but why else is rick playing him instead of pollard, now that we're so close to the playoffs? i have a feeling that if brezec plays well then he would be on the playoff roster and not pollard.

and yes, let's give piston fans their worst nightmare :devil:

Snickers
04-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I want them to answer the following question for me as it has plagued me for a long time.....

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie rool tootsie pop?"

:D

:laugh:

You wanna know something sad? I once actually sat down with a tootsie pop and counted how many licks it took. :blush:

Jose Slaughter
04-03-2004, 02:27 AM
what i like right now is that primoz is getting some auditioning time. true, it's mostly garbage time, but why else is rick playing him instead of pollard, now that we're so close to the playoffs? i have a feeling that if brezec plays well then he would be on the playoff roster and not pollard.

and yes, let's give piston fans their worst nightmare :devil:

Wintermute, you sure you wanna stick with this?

I'm no big fan of what Pollard has done this season but (I checked) the dude has 41 games of playoff experience.

Brezec has only played 60 games his total career, none in the playoffs.

I find your comments well thought out & very well written but this one has me :o

wintermute
04-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Wintermute, you sure you wanna stick with this?

I'm no big fan of what Pollard has done this season but (I checked) the dude has 41 games of playoff experience.

Brezec has only played 60 games his total career, none in the playoffs.

I find your comments well thought out & very well written but this one has me :o

well thanks, i think there's a compliment buried in there somewhere :D

i did think about pollard's experience, which is his overwhelming advantage (not just in playoff games, but in games and years overall). everything i've read suggests however that pollard is simply not the same player he was in sacto - that it's not just a matter of him not "getting" it, that he really is physically limited by injury or something else. it seems wishful thinking to hope that he suddenly gets better in the playoffs, which is what it seems like to me.

expecting primoz to suddenly become a contributor is wishful thinking too, but then last season okur and prince also came out of nowhere. in any case we're talking the 3rd or 4th string center here so it's not too big a point. i say 3rd or 4th string because i'm expecting someone like croshere or harrington to take on more of the banger role if needed.

just a little speculation on my part, and i hesitate to bring it up, but i wonder if people here are pinning their hopes on pollard just to be able to say that we got "something" out of last summer's transaction. if so, well, i think we would be in for a long wait.

Anthem
04-03-2004, 04:38 AM

How many Surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?

Two. One to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly-colored machine parts.

:rotflmao:
I crack me up.

:blush: