PDA

View Full Version : Since I'm Always Ragging On The Guy...

Dr. Goldfoot
01-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I feel compelled to say that was one hell of a quarter by Rooney.

SoupIsGood
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Since I am always ragging on the guy, I feel compelled to say that David Harrison is playing a pretty good game.

Will Galen
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Since most everyone is always ragging on Johnson I feel compelled to say he had a great game!

Ragnar
01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes AJ had a great game tonight. Most of it was hos own offense but a great game none the less.

Has anyone else noticed that AJ has his best games when Rick is forced to let the team run and be more guard oriented. Maybe its Ricks system and not completely AJ.

Dont get me wrong he is still not a pg but he clearly plays better when we dont bring the ball up slow and pound it into Jeramaine.

Gamble
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I am just glad he took control. AJ is a hard man to like
but he deserves the love tonight.

Kegboy
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I feel compelled to say that was one hell of a quarter by Rooney.

Yep, and he scored all his points while playing with AJ. AJ even brought the ball up, for those who think that's all a point guard does. I wonder if Cabbage will complain tonight about playing the 2.

Hicks
01-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep, and he scored all his points while playing with AJ. AJ even brought the ball up, for those who think that's all a point guard does. I wonder if Cabbage will complain tonight about playing the 2.

Get a new act already.

Kegboy
01-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Get a new act already.

If Rag can be critical of AJ tonight, I can be critical of Cabbage.

And, for those who are keeping track, that's the 157th time that when I've argued Cabbage is a 2, someone has dismissed me as a hater instead of trying to refute the argument.

SoupIsGood
01-19-2006, 12:03 AM

And, for those who are keeping track, that's the 157th time that when I've argued Cabbage is a 2, someone has dismissed me as a hater instead of trying to refute the argument.

:wah::wah::wah:

Jon Theodore
01-19-2006, 12:07 AM
arguing about if runi is a one or two is such an empty arguement.

Who cares...it's obvious he can create and pass well, even if he is playing the 2 spot it is essentially playing with 2 point guards.

It doesnt really matter.

CableKC
01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
^^^what I have noticed is that when AJ and Sarunas is on the floor.....AJ is the default PG....he's running the point and directing the traffic. Sarunas is standing around hte wing waiting for the ball.

larry
01-19-2006, 01:23 AM
i never rag on AJ

Bball
01-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Yes AJ had a great game tonight. Most of it was hos own offense but a great game none the less.

Has anyone else noticed that AJ has his best games when Rick is forced to let the team run and be more guard oriented. Maybe its Ricks system and not completely AJ.

Dont get me wrong he is still not a pg but he clearly plays better when we dont bring the ball up slow and pound it into Jeramaine.

Players have better games when Jermaine isn't playing. I don't know how often we have to see it to believe it. AJ had his best run of basketball last season while JO was out (as did the remaining team). What I don't understand exactly is why that's the case. Certainly, part of it is players stepping up in his absence. Maybe we player a more free style of basketball simply because Carlisle has installed so much offense around JO and without him we have no choice. But then why do the players excel at that?

Of course a game against the Bobcats shouldn't tell us anything since we can always count on beating them, JO or not.... :eek: errrrrrr uhhhhh nevermind...

Maybe the team doesn't rally around JO as the leader and work their hardest for him...
Maybe they don't appreciate settling for the JO option as much as Carlisle forces them to...
Maybe JO doesn't do enough 'little things' on the court (like blocking out, not taking bad shots, making quick decisions with the ball, (and has anyone ever noticed how quickly JO releases from a screen he sets?... It's rarely an effective screen because he releases so quick he's simply not an impediment for the man he's supposedly screening off). Now that I think of it, when is the last time JO set an effective screen?

-Bball

NPFII
01-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Players have better games when Jermaine isn't playing. I don't know how often we have to see it to believe it. AJ had his best run of basketball last season while JO was out (as did the remaining team). What I don't understand exactly is why that's the case. Certainly, part of it is players stepping up in his absence. Maybe we player a more free style of basketball simply because Carlisle has installed so much offense around JO and without him we have no choice. But then why do the players excel at that?

Of course a game against the Bobcats shouldn't tell us anything since we can always count on beating them, JO or not.... :eek: errrrrrr uhhhhh nevermind...

Maybe the team doesn't rally around JO as the leader and work their hardest for him...
Maybe they don't appreciate settling for the JO option as much as Carlisle forces them to...
Maybe JO doesn't do enough 'little things' on the court (like blocking out, not taking bad shots, making quick decisions with the ball, (and has anyone ever noticed how quickly JO releases from a screen he sets?... It's rarely an effective screen because he releases so quick he's simply not an impediment for the man he's supposedly screening off). Now that I think of it, when is the last time JO set an effective screen?

-Bball

There's no vacuum in basketball. If JO isn't playing the other guys get ~20 more shots to split. Someone is going to hit some of those and have an above average game. Players feel that they have more duty to play well when their "star" is out. The combination produces wins, providing you have decent players (see the Rockets for a counter-example).

What we're really seeing is that the team isnt fully dependant on JO, which is a good thing. We're also seeing that Rick, when forced, allows the others to play their game, and not just play around JO.

The real problem is Rick Carlisle not trusting the other players to play good when JO is playing. There's no chance in a million years he would've let AJ have this kind of game if JO was playing. That's a shame. And it's bad coaching. JMHO.

GetOdom
01-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Since most people is ragging on Ron all i want to say is Ron is my hero we all love you Ron please come back!

YEAH RIGHT...

Ragnar
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM

In all fairness I have always said that AJ is a 2 guard. He did not do a lot of things last night that I think a pg is suposed to do. When he plays more at the 2 I like his game. I still dont think he is as good of a defender as UB seems to think.

Kegboy
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
:wah::wah::wah:

:confused:

And Rag, AJ calls the alignment on both ends of the court. Even when Cabbage brings the ball up, if there's no fast break opportunity, he passes off to Fred or AJ, who call the play from the top of the key.

IMO, the most important duty of the point is to run the offense. UB has stated on many occasions (usually when criticizing Tinsley), that the most important duty of the point is to run the defense. AJ's not very creative with the ball, but he's always running the show out there. A great number of people don't like seeing the Travis-esque pounding the ball until someone is open, but that's what Rick wants, what he's always wanted from his point guard, because at its core, his system, and his offensive philosophy for that matter, is based on movement off the ball.