PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' O'Neal joins KG, Duncan in Olympic bypass

able
01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Pacers' O'Neal joins KG, Duncan in Olympic bypass

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/01/16/oneal.olympics/

Add Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal to the list of NBA All-Stars who are unlikely to be part of the next U.S. Olympic squad.

O'Neal said Saturday that he would love to play for Team USA, but that he wouldn't be free to travel for this summer's World Championships in Japan because his wife is expecting a baby July 20.

"I want to do it, but there's no way I can go out of the country [this summer]," he said before his team's game in Chicago. "They want people to play in the World Championships, but there's just no way I can do it. Obviously, the birth of my child is more important than any basketball situation."

O'Neal said he planned to talk with Suns CEO Jerry Colangelo, the man in charge of putting together the invite list for the team, to see if there was some way he could still be part of the Olympic team without traveling to this summer's World Championships. But Colangelo, who is in the process of interviewing some 30 to 35 candidates, is already on record as saying he expects the 20 invited players to give a three-year commitment.

"If there's a situation where I can go to the [tryout] camp, do the camp, but then not have to travel [for the World Championships], then maybe I could do it," O'Neal said. "But I can't go out of country. There's no way. My wife wouldn't let me."

O'Neal joins Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett as All-Star power forwards who have said they likely wouldn't be part of this next Olympic squad. All three have played for past U.S. teams in international competition. Their absences could clear the way for Elton Brand, Shawn Marion, Dwight Howard or Chris Bosh.

As for his current job with the Pacers, O'Neal said he and his team are trying to hold up despite the daily Ron Artest trade rumors. He downplayed a suggestion by Pacers forward Scot Pollard that a quick resolution to the Artest saga might help team morale. He admitted, however, that it can be tough for some players to hear their names mentioned in trade speculation.

"I don't know. I don't think about that situation," he said. "That's not really something I think players should have to wonder about it every single day. I think [Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh are] going to do what's best for the team, and they'll do it on timely basis and what they feel is good for them.

"I think the concern for some of our guys is that they will be traded with him. That's more the situation guys worry about. It's not 'is he going to get traded?' Obviously he's been out 17 games. But it's a situation now where different scenarios keep coming up, and guys probably feel uncomfortable they might be included in the trade."

Kstat
01-16-2006, 03:11 PM
You're seeing a common theme here......

Americn big men do not want to play under FIBA rules. They saw what Duncan had to go through, and they want no part of it.

FIBA doesn't allow for much post play anyway. The rules are heavily stacked against players like Duncan and JO. It's all guard-oriented.

The only big man that I can see playing would be Shaq because (A) he's used to getting hacked on every posession, and (B) he can dunk with two guys hanging on his arm anyway.

I just hope Dwight Howard's still young and stupid enough to play. We need a rebounder at the very least.

Jermaniac
01-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Its about the birth of his child not no FIBA rules

Hicks
01-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Americn big men do not want to play under FIBA rules. They saw what Duncan had to go through, and they want no part of it.

FIBA doesn't allow for much post play anyway. The rules are heavily stacked against players like Duncan and JO. It's all guard-oriented.

The only big man that I can see playing would be Shaq because (A) he's used to getting hacked on every posession, and (B) he can dunk with two guys hanging on his arm anyway.

That's speculative. JO makes no mention of FIBA officiating.

Kstat
01-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Its about the birth of his child not no FIBA rules

I don't think he was going to go anyway.

His wife is expecting the baby july 20. The games start August 19. That's like missing the NBA finals because you're expecting a child in May. I'm sorry, but if he wanted to go, he'd be going.

You can think its a coincidence that our best swingmen are falling over each other to join the team, and our best post players are avoiding it like the pleague. I don't.

Anthem
01-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Kstat's both right and wrong. Jermaine's played a lot of international ball, and he's talked about how much he'd like to be on the Olympic team. So I don't think he's fundamentally opposed to it.

On the other hand, I don't think it's coincidence that US big men aren't that interested.

jcouts
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I wonder if this means they'll have to begin considering my first choice for PF (as much as I hate Detroit) - Sheed

Kstat
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Rasheed said today that he has already declined consideration for a spot on team USA.

The big man pool gets a little thinner....

DG-33
01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
O'Neal needs the summer to rest his body, notgo play with Team USA so he and his teammates can be ran down by fans and sports writers.

Jermaniac
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm actually glad that Jermaine isnt going. As much as he is hurt I rather have him resting and getting ready for the next season.

Kaufman
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I say, good for him - for sticking up for family values.

shags
01-16-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm actually glad that Jermaine isnt going. As much as he is hurt I rather have him resting and getting ready for the next season.

That's probably as much of a reason as anything.

Fool
01-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Hasn't it already been reported that the coaches aren't allowing players to take their families to these initial tournies? In that case, its vastly different from taking your family across the country for a road game (or leaving them for a day or two). Also, I thought JO would have been a good choice with his affinity for fadeaways and short jumpers rather than a dependancy on power play.

brichard
01-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Unlike some of the guys being asked (Kobe, etc.) J.O. has done his time in these events. Most players will only do it once in awhile b/c they know what a toll it takes on the body. You play the very long NBA season and you have a few months to rest. Or you can risk your career/season for some international play.

Nobody is going to volunteer to do it every summer and JO deserves a break. He has said that he will play in the Olympics, but I understand him wanting a summer off.

Fool
01-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Unlike some of the guys being asked (Kobe, etc.) J.O. has done his time in these events. Most players will only do it once in awhile b/c they know what a toll it takes on the body. You play the very long NBA season and you have a few months to rest. Or you can risk your career/season for some international play.

Nobody is going to volunteer to do it every summer and JO deserves a break. He has said that he will play in the Olympics, but I understand him wanting a summer off.

Everybody who is accepting an invitation is committing to do it every summer for 3 years. Iverson is coming back along with Lebron.

Shade
01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm glad JO declined. He's suffering too many injuries as is. He needs to take a break.

Jose Slaughter
01-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Maybe they should ask Croshere.

SycamoreKen
01-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Maybe they should ask Croshere.

From what we've seen of international bigs here, he fits the mold pretty well.

denyfizle
01-17-2006, 02:23 PM

I just hope Dwight Howard's still young and stupid enough to play. We need a rebounder at the very least.

Why don't you talk to your big men?

denyfizle
01-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think he was going to go anyway.

His wife is expecting the baby july 20. The games start August 19. That's like missing the NBA finals because you're expecting a child in May. I'm sorry, but if he wanted to go, he'd be going.

Playing for the world championships would take most of JOs time not only because of the games but also the preparations. Its not the NBA finals anyway, and it isn't the olympics either. JO still wants to play in the olympics so I guess you're pushing your FIBA theory on JO a tad bit too far. But I can see your point though. Big Ben would be a perfect fit in international competition.

brichard
01-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Everybody who is accepting an invitation is committing to do it every summer for 3 years. Iverson is coming back along with Lebron.

But How many summers has JO played representing the US? He has played at least 2 summers in a row, maybe 3. And Lebron is quite a bit younger than JO. I also think the summer games are a little tougher on the bigs. All that weight coming up and down, you need some time off to let those muscles repair.