PDA

View Full Version : Is there any realistic trade we could make that would move us to contender status...

Shade
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
...this season? If so, what do you think it is?

Hicks
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
1) Get a very good player for Ron

2) Get and stay reasonably healthy

3) Develop chemistry with new guy quickly

4) Otherwise, no

Shade
01-16-2006, 11:43 AM
1) Get a very good player for Ron

2) Get and stay reasonably healthy

3) Develop chemistry with new guy quickly

4) Otherwise, no

Can you define "a very good player?" Who, in particular?

Diesel_81
01-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Well if we get Paul Pierce that would be a start.That is the only player out there that I have heard of which were getting a player on the same level of Artest.We would then have to figure out what we have to do at pg.Is Tinsley going to play for us or is he gong to be injured all season and if so do we lok to trade him and upgrade that position.Nothing against AJ but I don't think you can be a championship contender with AJ as your starting pg.

RWB
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
No.

At this point I'm hoping we can get someone that will put us above mediocre.

Hicks
01-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Someone on the level of Maggette or Odom, or if we're very lucky, someone better (Pierce?; I'd consider him a level above those two).

cracktower
01-16-2006, 11:51 AM
sign Latrell Sprewell and trade Artest for Corey Maggatte and a pick.

DG-33
01-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Paul Pierce would. Doubtful we could get him. Maybe Artest and Tinsley, perhaps with a 3rd team involved, but then we've got Anthony Johnson starting at point guard, which is just terrible.

Hicks
01-16-2006, 11:52 AM

I thought we wanted to get better?

indygeezer
01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
This works per RGm

Indiana out---Artest, Pollard, Gill
Indiana in----Paul Pierce

Boston out....PP
Boston in......Pollard, Gill, Nene, V. Leonard

Denver out....Nene, V Leonard
Denver in......Artest

Just convince Boston, that would be the trick...they get expiring contracts etc.

Moses
01-16-2006, 11:56 AM
At this point I would be willing to sign Latrell Sprewell to a 1-2 year contract just to see what he can do. At this point, we aren't contenders for this year and if thats the case I say we trade for Magette once we figure out if his foot is going to be good for next year.

I'd also be willing to take Odom. I think alot of people here under-rate him in terms of his offensive capabilities. The guy is a tweener PF/SF and can create ALOT of mismatches. I would love to see him and JO on the floor in the post at the same time due to Odoms defensive rebounding capability.

cracktower
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I thought we wanted to get better?

like it or not Sprewell can still play and we really need a guy who can score, so I say he can make us better.

Moses
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
This works per RGm

Indiana out---Artest, Pollard, Gill
Indiana in----Paul Pierce

Boston out....PP
Boston in......Pollard, Gill, Nene, V. Leonard

Denver out....Nene, V Leonard
Denver in......Artest

Just convince Boston, that would be the trick...they get expiring contracts etc.
There is no way Boston would do that trade. They could get alot of decent prospects for PP.

Hicks
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
like it or not Sprewell can still play and we really need a guy who can score, so I say he can make us better.

Ron Artest can really play too. Let's just keep him. Getting the point? Bad chemistry = Bad team.

Anthem
I'm actually pretty curious about an Artest/AJ for Andre/Nene swap. That seems to work for both teams.

Will Galen
Pierce would be the only option, but just like we don't want Ron in the East, Danny Angie wouldn't want Pierce in the East unless he was trading directly for Ron.

However, Danny wants a point guard. Rumor is he tried to trade Pierce to the Clippers for a package that included Livingston, but was turned down. Whether he would want a Tinsley package is anybodys guess. He would probably take a package of Ron and Tins for Pierce, but I don't think there is anyway the Pacers do that.

Our best bet to aquire Pierce is to trade Ron to a team in the west for the players Danny wants. Thus a three team trade.

Will Galen
01-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Sprewell still wants a big payday.

NPFII
01-16-2006, 12:04 PM
There is no way Boston would do that trade. They could get alot of decent prospects for PP.

Agreed.

How about:
Indy --> Artest, SJackson, Pollard
Indy <-- Pierce, Nene

Boston --> Pierce, Scalabrine
Boston <-- KMart, SJackson

Denver --> KMart, Nene
Denver <-- Artest, Pollard, Scalabrine

Will Galen
01-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm actually pretty curious about an Artest/AJ for Andre/Nene swap. That seems to work for both teams.

In this case I would swap Tins before AJ. Or I would do that trade and then trade Tins . . .

To Memphis for Mike Miller?

Will Galen
01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Agreed.

How about:
Indy --> Artest, SJackson, Pollard
Indy <-- Pierce, Nene

Boston --> Pierce, Scalabrine
Boston <-- KMart, SJackson

Denver --> KMart, Nene
Denver <-- Artest, Pollard, Scalabrine

Boston has a good young PF.

Anthem
01-16-2006, 12:11 PM
In this case I would swap Tins before AJ. Or I would do that trade and then trade Tins . . .

To Memphis for Mike Miller?
Well, you wouldn't need (or want) AJ if we got back Andre Miller.

But yes, I agree Tinsley should also be on the block.

NPFII
01-16-2006, 12:12 PM

Very good:
Pierce (Bos)
Jefferson (NJ)
Lewis (Sonics)

Good:
Odom (LAL)
Maggette (Clips)
Francis (Orl)
Wally (Minny)
Marbury (NY)
KMart (Denver)
Mike Miller (Griz)

Young Prospects:
Pietrus (GS)
Diogu (GS)
Frye (NY)
Bynum (LAL)

* All the names mentioned came from reading it somewhere as a rumor - not more than that.

cracktower
01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Ron Artest can really play too. Let's just keep him. Getting the point? Bad chemistry = Bad team.

Not a bad idea( keeping Artest) but is not going to happen:laugh: , anyway Sprewell is not that big of a locker room cancer the man is just greedy, I think he played well for the Twolves and got along well with the players. Its only after the contract talks became sour that he bacame a distraction.

what do we have to lose anyway? sign the guy for the season and if he is a problem(low porbability) cut him, but on the other hand, we get a guy who can still put up 15-16 points, play decent defense and has some attitude in his game.

We sign Sprewell and trade Artest for another solid player or two and we are back in the hunt.

stop being too timid hicks;)

Outlaw
01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
At first I was against trading for Maggette because of his injury.But after thinking about the fact that we are going to be a 1st or 2nd round casualty anyway I would rather pull the Artest/Maggette trade off.

At least we would get someone(Maggette) who could POSSIBLY still play this season and if not then at least we would have a #2 option ready to go. Then we can start to evalute the rest of the team to get ready for next year.And make the trades necessary in the off season to be able to compete next year.

I always hate waiting till next year but the chance of pulling some blockbuster trade and getting the pieces we would need to make a run this seem remote.Plus they probably would not have time to gell as a unit before the playoffs. JMO

Frank Slade
01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
If Boston is to trade Pierce I would think you are going to have to give up Tinsley and Artest most likely...

As far as Sprewell is concerned... do I really need to say it

:tsk:

cracktower
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
If Boston is to trade Pierce I would think you are going to have to give up Tinsley and Artest most likely...

As far as Sprewell is concerned... do I really need to say it

:tsk:

if we trade Artest and Tinsley for Pierce who is our starting pointguard?

Anthony Johnson:confused: :eek: or the 40 year old virgi.. I mean rookie Saras.

As for Sprewell whats wrong with Sprewell asking for more money, its the rich(sprewell) asking the super rich(owners) for a bigger piece of the pie.:devil:

rel
01-16-2006, 12:40 PM
if pierce is tradable, i'd be willing to part with tinsley, sjax, and artest for pierce and filler

(not really sure if they'd need both artest and jackson...but o well)

CableKC
01-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Nope...we should scrap this season and build for the future.

Frank Slade
01-16-2006, 12:58 PM
if we trade Artest and Tinsley for Pierce who is our starting pointguard?

Anthony Johnson:confused: :eek: or the 40 year old virgi.. I mean rookie Saras.

As for Sprewell whats wrong with Sprewell asking for more money, its the rich(sprewell) asking the super rich(owners) for a bigger piece of the pie.:devil:

Well I did not say we should , I am saying that is what most likely Boston would want, that is if they would even want to take the huge injury risk that is Tinsley..

With Sprewell... Let's stop and think here, there is a reason why 30 teams have not picked up Sprewell...Are all 30 teams that ignorant of what he can bring?
How much does he really have left , is it really equal to or even close to what he is asking ? ... how effective do you think he will be on and off the court for Indiana ,that much better than Jackson at this point ? I am just curious to hear your thoughts.

PacerMan
01-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Sprewell??????????
Better quit smocking that ***** tower!

CableKC
01-16-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought that due to Tinsley's BYC condition in his Contract for this year....it maybe difficult to trade and get full value for him.

Is that right?

If so....then would it make sense to trade him in now compared to the offseason?

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
The East is a 4 tier bunch

tier 1: Detroit
tier 2: Miami, NJ, Cleveland, Indiana, Philly, Milwaukee
tier 3: Washington, NY, Chicago
tier 4: Orlando, Charlotte, Atlanta, Boston, Toronto

With JO and Tins healthy we stay solidly in tier 2.

I'm not sure even with a sane Ron we move up to tier 1, so nobody coming in trade is really going to get us there.

Pierce, Maggette, Odom would all get us at the top of tier 2, ready should Detroit somehow self-destruct or suffer injuries like most teams do.

We don't need a trade to make the playoffs, and sooner or later we have to beat Detroit, so the timing of the trade worries me less and less.

Outsider
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
This one works:

Indiana trades:
Artest
Pollard
Jones

Indiana gets:
Pierce

Boston trades:
Pierce

Boston gets:
Andre Miller
Nene
Fred Jones

Denver trades:
Andre Miller
Nene

Denver gets:
Artest
Pollard

This seems to address alot of the concerns across the board. Boston gets their Point and two "prospects (with expiring contracts if they don't want them)". Indiana gets Pierce. Denver gets Artest and some cap relief in pollard.

It works too on Realgm.

Outsider

cracktower
01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Well I did not say we should , I am saying that is what most likely Boston would want, that is if they would even want to take the huge injury risk that is Tinsley..

With Sprewell... Let's stop and think here, there is a reason why 30 teams have not picked up Sprewell...Are all 30 teams that ignorant of what he can bring?
How much does he really have left , is it really equal to or even close to what he is asking ? ... how effective do you think he will be on and off the court for Indiana ,that much better than Jackson at this point ? I am just curious to hear your thoughts.

I think the Clippers have made contact with him through Sam I am ,supposedly the guy is hard to contact.He seems to be asking around 5 mil for a year or two and to keep things in prespective we are paying guys like Pollard and Bender 7 mil for nothing.

In my opinion Sprewell can still put up 15-16 points and play decent defense which would be like saying he is equal to Jackson and considering the fact that we need a guy who can score I say its worth it.

plus if we sign sprewell and trade Artest for a solid player or two we would be back to contending for a title.

cracktower
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Sprewell??????????
Better quit smocking that ***** tower!

wow, PacerMan you really have a way with words, I am convinced, how can I even argue with such logic:laugh:

Unclebuck
01-16-2006, 02:42 PM
If Shaq gets injured and if two Piston starters get injured and the Pacers are healthy and get a player for Ron that can contribute at least 20 minutes every game. If that all happens then yes the Pacers can get to the Finals this season.

kept
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Boston is in no hurry to trade Pierce. They'd want Murphy. They're on pace to draft Adam Morrison.

CableKC
01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
If Shaq gets injured and if two Piston starters get injured and the Pacers are healthy and get a player for Ron that can contribute at least 20 minutes every game. If that all happens then yes the Pacers can get to the Finals this season.
That's a lot of IFs there.......:rolleyes:

Anthem
01-16-2006, 03:44 PM
That's a lot of IFs there.......:rolleyes:
That's his point.

On another note, I don't know that Jax could share the ball with Pierce and JO.

CableKC
01-16-2006, 03:51 PM
That's his point.

On another note, I don't know that Jax could share the ball with Pierce and JO.
I know.......any player that we get that provides offense can't coexist with SJax.

rexnom
01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I know.......any player that we get that provides offense can't coexist with SJax.

Really...we can't give Jack the benefit of the doubt after posting 20 in five of the last seven? Only one of which was a loss? He is playing fairly decent right know and I don't think enough people give him emough credit...

CableKC
01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
He deserves credit for holding it together during the string of injuries.

The problem is that he has to provide the same offensive consistency when he isn't putting up 18+ FGA a game when JONeal is in the lineup.....or whenever Tinsley returns.

If we trade for a player like Pierce ( which I doubt happens )....he'll become a player that gets 8 to 10 FGA a night. Can he provide the same consistency ( much less be happy ) that he is providing now?

rexnom
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
He deserves credit for holding it together during the string of injuries.

The problem is that he has to provide the same offensive consistency when he isn't putting up 18+ FGA a game when JONeal is in the lineup.....or whenever Tinsley returns.

If we trade for a player like Pierce ( which I doubt happens )....he'll become a player that gets 8 to 10 FGA a night. Can he provide the same consistency ( much less be happy ) that he is providing now?

Answer is I dunno. But he deserves at least the benefit of the doubt because he has the potential to be a VERY good third option.

SoupIsGood
01-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Bringing in a very good starting PG would work.

We shoud have swapped Baron for Ron last year

CableKC
01-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Answer is I dunno. But he deserves at least the benefit of the doubt because he has the potential to be a VERY good third option.
I have ZERO problem if he doesn't mind being a 3rd option....in fact...he would be a great 3rd option coming off the bench....the problem is that I'm not convinced that he would be content in doing so.

Pacerized
01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Many would disagree with me, but I honestly think there are a number of realistic trades that would make us a contender this year if most of our players are going to be healthy for the remainder of the year.
Maggette could've if he returned after the cast comes off.
Odom
Al
Wally.

I just don't think we're that far removed, we're winning now without Artest, and while dealing with injuries. Contending for a title largely depends on things going your way. The Colts were as close to a shoe in as possible a few weeks ago. Detroit is 1, or 2 injuries away from not competing. I won't give up on this season as long as a good trade is possible.

Napptown
01-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I just threw this in the trade forum but,
Pacers get Pietrus and Okur
Warriors get Artest
Jazz get Murphy and AJ (they could then afford to trade Boozer)

This gives us a big man(Okur) with a touch from the outside. He would pull bigs out of the middle and leave JO in there alone. Because he can stroke the 3, the Wallaces or Shaq would have to man up. It also gives us a perimeter defender to replace Artest.

Tinsley/Saras
Jax/Pietrus/Jones
Granger/Jax/Pietrus
JO/Cro
Okur/Harrison/Pollard

That is a lineup that could matchup against anybody.