PDA

View Full Version : Wolves owner hints Olowokandi will be traded very soon, not for Ron

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.startribune.com/507/story/184155.html

Wolves owner hinting at possible Olowokandi trade

Apparently the real reason the Timberwolves have not been playing Michael Olowokandi is that the center, in his last year of his contract, could be traded very soon.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune

Apparently the real reason the Timberwolves have not been playing Michael Olowokandi is that the center, in his last year of his contract, could be traded very soon.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor strongly hinted at that after Friday night's victory over Denver at Target Center.

"Call me in 72 hours and I will have some news for you," said Taylor, sounding like the deal had been made and will be announced soon.
However, Taylor said the Wolves don't have any interest in suspended Orlando point guard Steve Francis, who is making too much money.
As for Indiana's Ron Artest, Taylor said: "I don't know of anything that's new on Ron Artest. They haven't talked to us, so I assume there is nothing that's going to happen."

Taylor said he is disappointed with the Wolves' .500 record.

"I'm the same as the team and the coach, that we're disappointed with the wins that we have," he said. "I think at this point in the process that we just thought that we would be further on our plan. It appears more in the area of scoring. We're just having trouble finding guys who can score. So that's what we're working on."

With Utah being a big surprise, it is not going to be easy for the Wolves to win the Northwest Division with their current personnel.

2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Moses
01-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Olowakandi to the Denver Broncos for Ron Dayne.

blanket
01-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Someone speculated at another board that it might involve Boston.

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
guys who can score...

Ricky Davis for Kandi works.

It's an ending contract but still a terrible deal for Boston.

DG-33
01-16-2006, 11:30 AM
I've read around, and most believe he's being traded to Boston for Mark Blount. There's even some speculation Seattle and Indiana would somehow be involved, with Nick Collison and a 1st coming to the Pacers and Ron Artest going to Seattle.

DG-33
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
By the way, this was said after the Wolves 103-98 win over Denver on Friday night, meaning the 72-hour time limit is set to expire tonight. If Wolves owner Glen Taylor is right, Kandi will be traded today.

NPFII
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
As for Indiana's Ron Artest, Taylor said: "I don't know of anything that's new on Ron Artest. They haven't talked to us, so I assume there is nothing that's going to happen."

Read:
I dont know of anything that's new on Ron Artest, and even if I did this isn't the time or place to spill any beans.
They haven't talked to us, so I can't give information on what's going to happen.

Conclusion:
This sure as he!! might be Artest-related. It could be the beginning of the Artest trade if say we swap Kandiman & Pollard (both expiring) and send Artest+Kandi to LAL for Odom. Taylor's wording doesn't rule this out.

DG-33
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Now Taylor is basically contridicting himself in this latest article. What a tool.

http://www.startribune.com/511/story/185097.html

After Timberwolves practice Sunday at Target Center, in a hurry to catch a plane to New York, center Michael Olowokandi declined to talk with reporters. He left the locker room and headed down the hall.
Would it be one of the last times he would make this walk?

A report in Sunday's Star Tribune suggested that Olowokandi was part of a potential Wolves trade that was, if not imminent, at least brewing.

Reached at his home Sunday, owner Glen Taylor acknowledged that the Wolves were attempting to make a deal to upgrade the team.

"I would tell you, we're out there actively talking to other teams," Taylor said. "But we don't have anything going right yet."

After practice Sunday, Kevin McHale, Wolves vice president of basketball operations, wouldn't comment on any trade talk. But he said he is always looking for ways to improve the team.

"We've lost a lot of close games this year," said McHale, when asked if he was content with the makeup of the team right now. "I think when you do that, you lose some confidence. ... We've lost so many close games. But our defense is very solid. I would like to add a little more scoring for us to have a little more punch in those games."

On Friday, ESPN reported that Orlando was seeking a trade with the Wolves involving Wally Szczerbiak in exchange for suspended Magic guard Steve Francis. But in the Sunday report Taylor said the Wolves were not interested in Francis. Taylor also said he didn't think the Wolves were going to be the team successful in working a deal for Indiana's Ron Artest.

If the Wolves are indeed looking to increase scoring, it would seem unlikely they would part with Szczerbiak, the team's second-leading scorer.

Speculation surrounds Olowokandi chiefly because he has fallen out of the starting lineup and didn't play in the past two games.

Coach Dwane Casey has been adamant that the reason Olowokandi has sat is matchups; Chicago and Denver -- the Wolves' past two opponents -- played with small lineups.

"Michael has done nothing wrong," Casey said. "We still need him. He'll have matchups in the next two games."

Neither McHale nor Taylor would comment on Olowokandi.

But it's clear the Wolves have not gotten what they hoped when they signed Olowokandi to a three-year, $16.2 million contract before the 2003-04 season. In the final season of that deal, Olowokandi has a $5.9 million salary this season. He would be attractive in a trade with a team that considers itself out of the running this season, one willing to acquire Olowokandi primarily to be able to use that salary slot next season and willing to give the Wolves a player in return for that.

Meanwhile, Casey has to figure out how to get the most out of the lineup he has right now.

"I don't know what's going on, and I don't want to know," Casey said about a potential trade. "As a coach, I'm prepared to coach the team that I have. I'm happy with the team I have. I like each player, I have confidence in each player."

Unclebuck
01-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm glad we don't have a stupid owner like that. Telling the media a trade is about to take place. Undermining the GM. We should be thankful we have the Simons as owners

DG-33
01-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Read:
I dont know of anything that's new on Ron Artest, and even if I did this isn't the time or place to spill any beans.
They haven't talked to us, so I can't give information on what's going to happen.

Conclusion:
This sure as he!! might be Artest-related. It could be the beginning of the Artest trade if say we swap Kandiman & Pollard (both expiring) and send Artest+Kandi to LAL for Odom. Taylor's wording doesn't rule this out.
I'd be satisfied with that deal, and it works via the RealGM trade checker. I'm sure Wolves fans would be overwhelmed with the thought of aquiring the awsome Scot Pollard. He's definantly one of those "championship players" they need to surround KG with.

Pacers <<< Lamar Odom
Pacers >>> Ron Artest, Scot Pollard

Wolves <<< Scot Pollard
Wolves >>> Michael Olowokandi

Lakers <<< Ron Artest, Michael Olowokandi
Lakers >>> Lamar Odom

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
seems more equitable:

Pacers get Lamar Odom
Pacers give Ron Artest, Scot Pollard, #1 pick

Wolves get Scot Pollard, LA's #1 pick, Indiana's #1 pick
Wolves give Michael Olowokandi

Lakers get Ron Artest, Michael Olowokandi
Lakers give Lamar Odom, #1 pick

clownskull
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
i'm surprised olo didn't try to put forth more effort since it is a contract year for him. he fooled people before- i thought he might try it again. put some effort in and get another big contract and then sit on your backside like before

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2006, 12:57 PM
most believe he's being traded to Boston for Mark Blount.

Great trade for Boston since Kandi sucks but Blount sucks more, and Kandi is gone after this year, saving you $$$ and years of having a useless overpaid pile of crap on your team.

MagicRat
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm glad we don't have a stupid owner like that. Telling the media a trade is about to take place. Undermining the GM. We should be thankful we have the Simons as owners

Fortunately we have Ron to take care of all of the undermining........

GetOdom
01-16-2006, 03:23 PM
The Wolves management has to be the worst in the Sports league wow horrible :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
01-17-2006, 10:06 AM
from today's Boston Globe

Interesting new wrinkle that they may go ahead and WAIVE Kandi. You have to decide if then signing him for the minimum for the reat of the year is worthwhile.

-------
CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Olowokandi-Blount swap being discussed
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | January 17, 2006

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- According to two league sources, a deal that would send Mark Blount to Minnesota or Memphis could be completed soon. One source described a deal as ''imminent." The most likely scenario would have the Celtics shipping Blount to Minnesota for 7-foot, 270-pound center Michael Olowokandi. The Celtics play the Timberwolves tomorrow night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

It is less clear whom the Celtics would receive from the Grizzlies for Blount, if they went that route. Lorenzen Wright, a 6-11 center, might be one possibility because he is in the last year of his contract. Although the salary numbers work, one source said 6-8 Memphis forward Brian Cardinal is not a candidate.

The Celtics reportedly tried to deal Blount to Memphis last offseason. Memphis was one of the teams that aggressively pursued Blount when he was a free agent.

After an extremely disappointing 2004-05 season, Blount and his agent Mark Bartelstein talked with coach Doc Rivers and executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge last summer. Blount arrived at training camp determined to reclaim the form he showed when playing for his current six-year, $40 million contract -- a contract with a 15 percent trade kicker.

Blount was in the starting lineup for the first 11 games this season. But his inconsistent play, particularly on the glass, led Rivers to demote Blount to the bench. Blount did not play (coach's decision) Nov. 25 against Charlotte, and he has bounced between the bench and the starting lineup.

In yesterday's 94-84 loss to the Pistons, Blount scored 12 points (6 for 11) and grabbed 3 rebounds in 31 minutes as the first player off the bench. He also led the Celtics with 4 turnovers. For the season, he is averaging 13.1 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 3.2 turnovers in 29 minutes per game.

If the Celtics complete a deal for Olowokandi, it would put them in a much better position financially. Blount is making $5.5 million this season and has four years remaining on his deal; Olowokandi, who is making close to $6 million, will become a free agent this summer.

The Celtics could waive Olowokandi, who is averaging 6.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in 24 minutes per game.

If a third team becomes involved, one source said, Marcus Banks appears a likely addition.

Drawing a blank
Ricky Davis was at a loss for points -- and an explanation about what happened. Playing almost 45 minutes, Davis went scoreless for what he believed was the first time in his NBA career. He also could not remember the last time he took just eight shots in a game. ''I don't know what happened," said Davis, who managed to contribute 5 assists. ''They ran me off my shots. I was spending most of the time passing the ball instead of getting my shot. Most of the shots I usually get, they kind of took away from me. I really wasn't trying to force it. I knew I was off. I was just trying to depend on other guys to make shots."

The Darko side
It is not often that Al Jefferson and seldom-used Pistons center Darko Milicic are mentioned together. But that was the case yesterday after Jefferson finished with 8 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes off the bench. Jefferson was removed from the starting lineup against Philadelphia Friday because Rivers wants to see better defense and better effort from his second-year forward. But Rivers came to the defense of Jefferson in his postgame remarks. ''I thought Al played pretty well tonight," said Rivers. ''He had been pressing. I don't know if it's pressing or he's just young. The difference between Al and [Milicic] is probably Al is on our team. If you think about it, if Al was on the Pistons, would he be playing 20, 25 minutes a night? I'd probably say no. He's not going to be consistent every night. On the nights that he's not, if other guys are playing well, I'm going to play them." For the record, Jefferson is averaging around 17.5 minutes . . . There will be another pretrial hearing tomorrow in the Tony Allen case. Allen said he will not be present for the proceedings in Chicago.

blanket
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10475

nashbaar (mn): some of us rubes have come to grips with the fact that minny is not getting artest. that said where does Kandi end up and for whom? The hot item yesterday was Portland for Miles?

Marc Stein: No. The hot item is the Kandi-to-Boston scenario and it is indeed legit. But there's a decent chance the deal will expand to include at least one more team -- not Memphis -- and the talks are ongoing. Stay tuned.

+++++++++++++++++++

Anyone have access to the rest of Stein's chat from today? I'm curious whether he had anything to say about the Artest trade.

EDIT: Got it: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=322996&postcount=624