PDA

View Full Version : So, Kobe and Lebron are in, who is the next to be asked and commit?

jcouts
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
So, we have Kobe and Lebron officially committed to playing. Who will we put around them next to bring the gold back?

Kobe was definitely the most important one to land in my opinion. He is a guy that can play lock-down defense on any 1, 2, or 3 in international play, assuming there is someone else on the court to take over his role on the offensive end, if he needs it. 92 Team USA had this benefit...they could put Jordan on whoever, and let him expend all of his energy playing defense, because they had 4 other guys who could fuel the scoring on the other end. In my opinion, this is why Lebron was the 2nd man coveted...to guarantee that in the case that Kobe is forced to focus on D, there is a guy to take over the game on the other end.

With that being said, I think the next priority of the team is to provide at least one other guy who can guarantee to play tough lock-down defense on 1, 2 and 3s the games that Kobe does not. The "Ginobili-limiter". Basically, the role that Pippen had with the 92 team. Who fits that role, but can also contribute more than Bruce Bowen on the offensive end? Pippen played point in the second unit when Stockton was injured. I'm going with Joe Johnson as my pick.

Kstat
01-15-2006, 11:59 PM
This isn't a draft. They can go after whomever they want in whatever order. It's not like someone else is picking players with them.

I'd try to get the center position finalized. Amare, Brad Miller, etc.

SycamoreKen
01-16-2006, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't mind seing a guy like Paul on the team. It would give him a chance to grow over time and come back multiple times.

jcouts
01-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't mind seing a guy like Paul on the team. It would give him a chance to grow over time and come back multiple times.

yeah, the thing that Paul has going for him at this point is that the team is looking for people for 2008... Paul should be fully developed by then, beyond the great things he's already doing at this point.

oh, and PS, I know it's not a ****ing draft...
I just tried to start something more interesting discussionwise than asking who everyone's 12 were. Seeing what people knew of positions to prioritize in international play was something I was interested in knowing.