PDA

View Full Version : An interesting story on why sometimes players ask for the salaries that they do...

Kstat
01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060115/SPORTS0102/601150396

Ben Wallace has fired his agent, Steve Kauffman , and is in the process of trying to interview and hire a new one. It's a huge hiring, too, since Wallace will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"I don't need anybody to negotiate for me," Wallace said. "I just need somebody who can look over the contract and make sure everything is right."

It was a discrepancy over an item in his contract with Kauffman that caused the split.

"We had agreed that he would start charging me an hourly rate," Wallace said. He had paid Kauffman four percent of his earnings.

"He agreed to that, but then I was looking over the contract and I saw where it said, if I don't sign an extension or a maximum deal, it would go back to me paying him four percent. I didn't know if he was trying to pull a fast one on me or not, but I know he knows me a whole lot better than that."

Kauffman did not immediately return phone calls Saturday.

"When I asked him about it, he said he saw that a couple of weeks ago and had been meaning to call me," said Wallace, shaking his head. "I told him, 'All you've got to do is admit you've made a mistake.' And he said, 'You know I would never try to do something like that to you.' But I wasn't falling for that one."

Wallace said he hoped to hire an agent within a few weeks.

Jermaniac
01-15-2006, 09:34 PM
He should hire Drew Rosenhouse and bring him into the NBA world.

pacerwaala
01-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I am sorry but what does that story have to do with the salaries that players ask for. I genuinely did not get it.

Kstat
01-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I am sorry but what does that story have to do with the salaries that players ask for. I genuinely did not get it.

If Ben decided to take less money from the Pistons, he'd have to owe his agent more, under their contract.

pacerwaala
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
If Ben decided to take less money from the Pistons, he'd have to owe his agent more, under their contract.

I was looking over the contract and I saw where it said, if I don't sign an "extension or a maximum deal", it would go back to me paying him four percent.

Why does it say "extension" then? That is what was confusing me.

Kaufman
01-15-2006, 11:17 PM
I'll tell ya, sports agents are clever clever clever people.

skyfire
01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I thought that meant, he can pay his agent by the hour, only if he signs an extension or max contract. otherwise, he goes back to 4%, which based upon wallace's description is abit on the shifty side.

wallace's current contract is ~6mil yea, at 4% thats almost $250,000. regardless of what the agent charges as an hrly rate, he's gonna be working long hours to make that sort of money...

Kstat
01-15-2006, 11:43 PM
That is correct Sky, but why would he fire his agent, unless it was based on principle.

One would assume he will get a extension.

And if thats the case, then this would have nothing to do with why palyers ask for so much money, as much as it would have to do with a agents trying to pull one over a client

I assumed under the contract that extension meant raise.

I'm pretty sure that Ben wouldnt fire his agent on principle, though. Obviously that clause didn't cover what he was intending to sign for.

Kaufman
01-16-2006, 12:18 AM
One thing, maybe pointless, but it says that Wallace was going through his contract and he found the particular clause in question. Take it for what it is worth, but I'm going to guess it wasn't him who found that tidbit and dissected it. My guess is that he took it to another agent or lawyer and had it read over. So that increases my suspicion that there is something else going on here. All speculation on my part, though.

rexnom
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I don't like agents not named Jerry McGuire for the same reason that Jerry McGuire left his agency in the movie...just crap...I still blame the Brad Miller fiasco on the agent...this is just unfortunate because Ben is a decent guy and I could totally see his agent trying to push him to get the max though he'd prefer less so Detroit can keep the team intact and get some backup help...

rexnom
01-16-2006, 01:40 AM
You do realize Jerry McGuire was Hollywood, right? There may be a few agents like him, but being a agent is like being a car salesman. Its a dirt as hell field. Nice guys dont finish last, they finish dead. As in dead in the water, they dont have a job. They dont get paid. Its a disguisting field. And that is why I love it...

Yeah, I do get it's Hollywood, which was my original point. I like agents so much that the only one I can stand is fictional. But that doesn't mean I can't long for agents to be more like Jerry McGuire.

Kstat
01-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Whatever the deal, you have to figure Ben and Joe have already agreed on a contract number, and are just waiting to be able to make it official.

Joe's incredibly honest to his players. That's why his employees respect him, and why Ben trusted Joe enough not to opt out of his deal 2 years ago, when he was coming off an NBA championship, so Joe could go out and sign guys like Dice, Mo Evans and Dale Davis to make the team better.

SoupIsGood
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Whatever the deal, you have to figure Ben and Joe have already agreed on a contract number, and are just waiting to be able to make it official.

Joe's incredibly honest to his players. That's why his employees respect him, and why Ben trusted Joe enough not to opt out of his deal 2 years ago, when he was coming off an NBA championship, so Joe could go out and sign guys like Dice, Mo Evans and Dale Davis to make the team better.

:confused:

Kstat
01-16-2006, 02:02 AM
:confused:

Ben had an opt-out clause in 2004, and he chose to keep the last 2 years of his deal, because he felt Joe overpaid for him in 2000 and he wanted to return the favor.

SoupIsGood
01-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Ben had an opt-out clause in 2004, and he chose to keep the last 2 years of his deal, because he felt Joe overpaid for him in 2000 and he wanted to return the favor.

WOW thats pretty cool

Btw I think was misreading you, thanks for clearing it up.

Bball
01-16-2006, 05:01 AM
I want to know what kind of fool would want to pay an agent an hourly rate (over a percentage)?

I feel, once again, I am missing something.

-Bball

Bball
01-16-2006, 05:05 AM
WOW thats pretty cool

Btw I think was misreading you, thanks for clearing it up.

Later, that same season, he turned water into wine.

-Bball

t1hs0n
01-16-2006, 09:50 AM
While this thread smacks of "ben wallace hand-jobing", I will agree that the best agents are the dirtiest ones. Which can come back and bite you on the *** if you try to steal their money... (or keep more of your own, depending on point of view)

The point I want to make is that all agents are not dirty and there are "nice guys" that do not finish last. They just happen to work for larger firms that spread the overhead and cost the contractee a little more.

As with all other businesses in life you get what you pay for.

Fool
01-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I want to know what kind of fool would want to pay an agent an hourly rate (over a percentage)?

I feel, once again, I am missing something.

-Bball

You think the percentage favors the employer? Why doesn't your boss pay you a percentage then? Was it your incredible bargaining powers that got your that hourly rate or salary?

Especially when Wallace described his agents duties as
"I don't need anybody to negotiate for me," Wallace said. "I just need somebody who can look over the contract and make sure everything is right."

Bball
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM
You think the percentage favors the employer? Why doesn't your boss pay you a percentage then? Was it your incredible bargaining powers that got your that hourly rate or salary?

You pay an agent a percentage so that he will work to get the best deal possible which will get him the most money too. There's no real incentive to do anything but drag things out if paid hourly.

Especially when Wallace described his agents duties as

You just need an attorney for that. Negotiate your contract yourself, tell the attorney what you believe the terms to be. He'll read it, see if those terms are there, and ask you if you realize 'this or that' and you're done.

-Bball

Evan_The_Dude
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
How do you become a sports agent anyway? And VA, are you a car salesman?

Fool
01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
You pay an agent a percentage so that he will work to get the best deal possible which will get him the most money too. There's no real incentive to do anything but drag things out if paid hourly.

Hence Wallace's desire not to pay his agent by percentage since his agent won't be negotiating anything.

You just need an attorney for that. Negotiate your contract yourself, tell the attorney what you believe the terms to be. He'll read it, see if those terms are there, and ask you if you realize 'this or that' and you're done.

-Bball

Hence Wallace not retaining the services of his agent.

Kegboy
01-16-2006, 11:37 PM
I dont like to speak of my work here

He's a shrink. That's why he has so many stories about crazy women. :-p