PDA

View Full Version : Some truth to the trading Ron rumor

ahhteeth
06-06-2004, 02:37 PM
A friend of mine works for a cell phone store in downtown Indy. A few days ago Jermaine walked in wanting to buy something. So my friend started talking to JO about the offseason and about the personel changes. JO said he thinks Al will be back and Bender will be back, but he wasn't sure about Ron. He said that the staff and Ron are having their differences about who is the go to guy and Artest missing a few practices during the playoffs for "migraines". JO went on to say that him and TMac have been good friends since high-school and could see us possibly trading for him. You guys can all take this for what it's worth but I think we would be unstoppable with JO and TMac together. :dance:

sweabs
06-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I just left a post about this - Ron wanting to stay as the 2nd option behind Jermaine. Which is why I am starting to think maybe we should trade him while his value is high and have a clear first and second scorer who will do us well.

However...are you telling the truth about this or just making it up? :laugh:.

ahhteeth
06-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm just relaying the message my friend told me. And he does work in Indy so I could definately happen. All the logic makes sense to me but as of now we can just call it another rumor.

KINGSFREAK!!!
06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Trade him to the Kings! You guys want Chris Webber? :laugh:

No, seriously :unimpressed:

Ragnar
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM

No thanks

As far as Jermaine saying those things. I find it highly unlikely that he would say that to a total stranger.

sweabs
06-06-2004, 03:25 PM

No thanks

As far as Jermaine saying those things. I find it highly unlikely that he would say that to a total stranger.

Yeah exactly - that is my thinking too. I just highly doubt Jermaine is just going to randomly start talking to a stranger about stuff that is spoken about at the front office.

ahhteeth
06-06-2004, 03:31 PM

No thanks

Yeah exactly - that is my thinking too. I just highly doubt Jermaine is just going to randomly start talking to a stranger about stuff that is spoken about at the front office.

Yea I can definately understand your point on that one. I guess I was just so excited about it I forgot about that. However, JO might be letting off a little steam about Ron's poor offensive output in the conf. finals.

sweabs
06-06-2004, 03:35 PM
:welcome: to the board by the way.

How old or reliable is this friend of yours anyway?

ahhteeth
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
:welcome: to the board by the way.

How old or reliable is this friend of yours anyway?

Hey thanks I've been following these boards for a long time and never really had anything worthwhile to say. Anyways, my friend is a college student much like myself and is 21. He is a pretty reliable kid and a huge pacer fan. I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.

bulletproof
06-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.

Yeah, and JO also thought Isiah would return this past season.

MSA2CF
06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
I doubt this story is made up but it may be stretched a little. However he swore that JO said Al and Bender were gonna stay put and that Ron would be the one of the three to be traded.

:rotflmao: Exactly what I was about to post.

Bball
06-06-2004, 04:54 PM

But this time JO hasn't (AFAIK) made any demands or have any contractual leverage.... so the team wouldn't have any reason to tell him half-truths.

It doesn't mean the cell store guy didn't put words in JO's mouth.'

Cell Store Guy: "Wow... J.O.!!! I can't believe it's you! I'm a BIG Pacers fan"

JO: "Cool... I'm looking for a new phone."

CSG: Sure... so wow.... ummmm... you guys are so cool. I don't care what anyone says, Bender will be a star! I sure hope Bender and Al get to stay around"

JO: "Yeah... About my phone...."

CSG: "Phone? Oh... yeah.... We have lots of phones... Man, that Artest sure went off. He should've got the ball to you! That 35' 3 at the end of the game. And that flagrant foul... I bet the Pacers ship his a$$ off"

JO: "Yeah... Maybe.... About my phone... I think I'll take this one"

----
Later that day:
CSG: "Man, I talked to JO and he says Bender and Al stay and Artest is gonna get his a$$ shipped out! He told me that today when he came to the store... IN PERSON!"

:D :P

-Bball ;)

ChicagoJ
06-06-2004, 09:26 PM

But this time JO hasn't (AFAIK) made any demands or have any contractual leverage.... so the team wouldn't have any reason to tell him half-truths.

It doesn't mean the cell store guy didn't put words in JO's mouth.'

Cell Store Guy: "Wow... J.O.!!! I can't believe it's you! I'm a BIG Pacers fan"

JO: "Cool... I'm looking for a new phone."

CSG: Sure... so wow.... ummmm... you guys are so cool. I don't care what anyone says, Bender will be a star! I sure hope Bender and Al get to stay around"

JO: "Yeah... About my phone...."

CSG: "Phone? Oh... yeah.... We have lots of phones... Man, that Artest sure went off. He should've got the ball to you! That 35' 3 at the end of the game. And that flagrant foul... I bet the Pacers ship his a$$ off"

JO: "Yeah... Maybe.... About my phone... I think I'll take this one"

----
Later that day:
CSG: "Man, I talked to JO and he says Bender and Al stay and Artest is gonna get his a$$ shipped out! He told me that today when he came to the store... IN PERSON!"

:D :P

-Bball ;)If so, then he's passed his first audition for 'sports beat writer.'

:D

TheSauceMaster
06-06-2004, 09:28 PM
sorry I am not buying this , I just really , really find it hard that JO would talk so freely about something like this with a stranger.

Anthem
06-07-2004, 01:58 AM
If so, then he's passed his first audition for 'sports beat writer.'

:D

:rotflmao:

Roaming Gnome
06-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Larry Bird/Walsh would have to be on f :censor: ing dope to not see Harrington is not as good as he thinks he is. The one word that sums up Harrington to me is "inconsistant".

I don't care what anyone tells me, the guy is a black hole...The ball goes down to him with about 12 to 10 on the clock and he will dick with the ball and give up many oppertunities to pass then SETTLE for that sorry *** "Fade-Away" jump shot. It would be one thing if he got the ball late in the clock and had to use the fade to just get it off, but that simply is not the case with this guy.

If Al drove to the hoop everytime he got the ball, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, but that is not Al's reality.

He is not as good as he thinks he is...PERIOD!

indygeezer
06-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Larry Bird/Walsh would have to be on f :censor: ing dope to not see Harrington is not as good as he thinks he is. The one word that sums up Harrington to me is "inconsistant".

I don't care what anyone tells me, the guy is a black hole...The ball goes down to him with about 12 to 10 on the clock and he will dick with the ball and give up many oppertunities to pass then SETTLE for that sorry *** "Fade-Away" jump shot. It would be one thing if he got the ball late in the clock and had to use the fade to just get it off, but that simply is not the case with this guy.

If Al drove to the hoop everytime he got the ball, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, but that is not Al's reality.

Thank you for reminding me of what AL is like. A week away and already I was stating to gloss over his "sins"...I must ge getting old.

<edit> Oh and I HIGHLY doubt this story. I even doubt that JO is still in town. I bet he's in Aruba or some such place getting away for awhile before hitting the training room again. We know he doesn't live in Indy in the off-season.

ahhteeth
06-07-2004, 08:29 AM

I totally agree with this assumption of Al and feel pretty strongly that if we traded him we would get something more than we should b/c he is much overrated.

Oh and I HIGHLY doubt this story. I even doubt that JO is still in town. I bet he's in Aruba or some such place getting away for awhile before hitting the training room again. We know he doesn't live in Indy in the off-season.

This incident with JO happened a few days after losing to Detroit. So unless he was already planning to lose with his bags packed I doubt he was out of town.

ABADays
06-07-2004, 08:33 AM
JO is NOT in Aruba. I have it from a friend of mine who works for Target that he is at the Mayo clinic.

indygeezer
06-07-2004, 08:37 AM
JO is NOT in Aruba. I have it from a friend of mine who works for Target that he is at the Mayo clinic.

Aw c'mon...that rumor comes from his being at Subway the other day and asking for a sandwich with mayo.

naptownmenace
06-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I know that you guys are doubting this story but it does make some sense. JO and the Pacers brass knows that this is his team and Artest is starting to muscle in on his territory, so to speak.

I could definetly believe that he would say something like this. I remember that I met Marshall Faulk at a Pacers game back in 97, when he was with the Colts. I asked him if he was going to get 1500 yds the next season. His reply? "If they get me a line that can block."

I had a conversation with Travis Best once, right after we traded Mark Jackson to Denver. I said something to the effect of, "well it looks like you'll get your chance to start this year." His reply? "Yeah, it's about time."

So, athletes often speak their minds freely... even to total strangers. And why not, it's not like they are talking to the media or that their words are going to get back to their coach or gm. Even if it did, people wouldn't believe some nobody on the street - this thread is evidence of that!

I believe that JO said it. However, just because he said it that doesn't make it a fact.

Unclebuck
06-07-2004, 09:20 AM
I believe J.O likely said "something".

But we are hearing this third hand.

Remember two years ago or so that poster who was "in business" with Al. Al worked out all summer at a Florida fitness and training center, I just remember the poster acting like he and AL were best friends, and AL told him all types of things, and I don't think any other those things occurred.

Snickers
06-07-2004, 01:51 PM
I remember Jermaine telling me at a Wizards game season before last [the year he was a FA in the offseason] that he was going to re-sign with the Pacers.

So I do believe he might have said something in this scenario. Obviously, it's very possible someone along the line changed the words or added a little for effect.

As for Ron being traded, I love the guy and want him to stay. He's an enormous part of this team. But if Larry and Donnie [and Jermaine] know something we don't, or see something we can't, then maybe it's time to move him. They certainly know the man better than any of us do.

:neutral:

LAPacer
06-07-2004, 06:18 PM
If Jermaine says anything about GM decisions, I don't put much stock in it. I remember him saying things about Barry, Colemen, and other players last year. But those migraines do bother me. I hope Ron understands his role on the team.