PDA

View Full Version : Fans Wanted!

Pacesetter
01-14-2006, 11:47 AM
We need vocal fans at Pacers games. If you see any out there who are interested tell them to go see the folks at 125 S. Penn for tickets!

Yeah, the guys lacked energy last night, but my anger isn't at them, it's at the fans who go to games and won't cheer. It's not cool.

For example, Sacramento has had a mediocre year, AND they've sold out 290 straight games. Down 20+ pts their fans got a great "Defense" cheer going, but Sactown's not Baskteball Heaven, Indiana is, right?"

Our guys deserve better than that!

BBALL56HACKER
01-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I think the fans deserve better from the team they pay (alot of money) to see. From the coach who can`t see this team can`t run the offense with A.J. starting at point. To the lack of blocking out by J.O.. This team started to make a run starting the 4th with the bench players-the fans getting into the game with the faster pace of the game. Then another coaching move by the coach. PLAY THE GUYS WHO ARE GETTING THE JOB DONE!!!!! Just because he starts doesn`t mean he has to play the end. If S.J. ever plays defence we could have better chance. I do `HAVE` season tickets and go to every game. I WILL CHEAR WHEN THEY GIVE ME E-F-F-E-R-T on the floor!!!

Kegboy
01-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Maybe I'd be there if Larry hadn't raised my ticket prices 60%.

Bball
01-14-2006, 06:42 PM
I want some E-F-F-E-R-T tu!

-Bball

Pacesetter
01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
"O'Neal Says Team Needs Loyal Fans!" -- Indystar.com

Amen, JO, I'm with ya!

It's disheartening for me as a fan to go to the games, sit in the $110 seats and watch people sit with their arms crossed, or use their hands for cup holders. Then you got the big heavies who yell out obnoxious comments to our guys because the player made a bad play or missed a layup. As if that big fatty could do what Steve, or Fred, or JO could do! What a joke. Ol fatty probably has his tickets given to him by corporate.

Just show up to the games, have a drink and cheer win or lose. Good grief I know there's old dogs in here that remember when we got a shellacking almost nightly back in the 80's. We had a comfortable time during the 90's and now the younguns are so spoiled from winning they don't understand how to encourage when the team is losing. I wish Mike Wells or even Bob Kravitz would write an inspiring piece to help Indianapolis understand they're not vitims, and that every city endures losses in Pro Sports, that it's not because we're a small market farm club, it's because that's what ya get when you run with the big dogs.

Go to the games if you're a fan, have a drink, but have a good time and do your damndest to help inspire and encourage our players, our team, to get a win. There's few things better than watching the Pacers share smiles because they love where they're at and love who they're playing in front of. Some of you who think being down is the way to do it think again, be a fan that pushes the guys, and makes them want to get the hustle play. Please, do it for the team!

P.S. BTW, as I sat center court I was sandwiched by two Wizards fans. They practically bumped me cheering for their guys about every other play. Guess what though, I enjoyed the competitive spirit and I gave as good as I got and had a good time. Obviously wish the guys would have won, but that's what good fans are about, win or lose!

Hicks
01-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe I'd be there if Larry hadn't raised my ticket prices 60%.

I hear he nailed Jesus to the cross, too.

18to88
01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
"O'Neal Says Team Needs Loyal Fans!" -- Indystar.com

Amen, JO, I'm with ya!

It's disheartening for me as a fan to go to the games, sit in the $110 seats and watch people sit with their arms crossed, or use their hands for cup holders. Then you got the big heavies who yell out obnoxious comments to our guys because the player made a bad play or missed a layup. As if that big fatty could do what Steve, or Fred, or JO could do! What a joke. Ol fatty probably has his tickets given to him by corporate.

Just show up to the games, have a drink and cheer win or lose. Good grief I know there's old dogs in here that remember when we got a shellacking almost nightly back in the 80's. We had a comfortable time during the 90's and now the younguns are so spoiled from winning they don't understand how to encourage when the team is losing. I wish Mike Wells or even Bob Kravitz would write an inspiring piece to help Indianapolis understand they're not vitims, and that every city endures losses in Pro Sports, that it's not because we're a small market farm club, it's because that's what ya get when you run with the big dogs.

Go to the games if you're a fan, have a drink, but have a good time and do your damndest to help inspire and encourage our players, our team, to get a win. There's few things better than watching the Pacers share smiles because they love where they're at and love who they're playing in front of. Some of you who think being down is the way to do it think again, be a fan that pushes the guys, and makes them want to get the hustle play. Please, do it for the team!

P.S. BTW, as I sat center court I was sandwiched by two Wizards fans. They practically bumped me cheering for their guys about every other play. Guess what though, I enjoyed the competitive spirit and I gave as good as I got and had a good time. Obviously wish the guys would have won, but that's what good fans are about, win or lose!

I know what you mean. After the game, go out the East entrance (by the practice court) and listen to some of the so called Pacers fans out there when the players leave. Croshere always waves when he drives by and some of them will yell **** at him like he sucks. I don't get the point of hating your own team's players. Conseco has been looking pretty empty this year.

Pacesetter
01-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I know what you mean. After the game, go out the East entrance (by the practice court) and listen to some of the so called Pacers fans out there when the players leave. Croshere always waves when he drives by and some of them will yell **** at him like he sucks. I don't get the point of hating your own team's players. Conseco has been looking pretty empty this year.

That's just great. Our guys gotta deal with that too? I didn't know that. Arrrrrgh! ... and the hits just keep on comin!

Shameful!!! :sadbanana

Pacesetter
01-15-2006, 06:04 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060115/SPORTS04/601150476

O'Neal says Pacers need loyal fans!

CHICAGO -- Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has never been one to back down when it comes to talking about the organization.
He stood up during the team's turmoil after the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills (Mich.) last season. He's been even more outspoken during this season's Ron Artest saga. And now, O'Neal is voicing his opinion about Pacers fans.
O'Neal took exception to a fan's comment late in Friday's loss to the Washington Wizards at Conseco Fieldhouse.
"He was like, 'Way to stink up the place, Pacers,' " O'Neal said. "That (ticks) me off because he's saying he paid good money. I appreciate the support, but at the same time, we tried to win the game. We don't try to turn the ball over, we don't try to make dumb plays. We want to make this city proud in a major way."
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Amen, JO! :cool:

Pacesetter
01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
So you are mad because fans are frustrated with the teams ****ty play.

Well then maybe they should stop playing like crap.........

So then we should cheer for them when they play well, but when they play like "crap" we should do the opposite ............................................

JBones19
01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I can't believe JO got TO'd about one guy that heckled something his way. :P

Pacesetter
01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
BINGO!!!!!!!

I work 40 hours a week, and part of my salary goes to tickets/jerseys/whatever else, so I am paying these guys salaryies.

I have the right to cheer when they play well, and boo when they suck.

I realize life isnt fair, and I have actaully worked with some sports agents. These guys take a lot of crap, but they also get paid a **** load of money to play a game. Not to mention they dont have to wake up at 3AM to go to work, most of them (besides practice) go to work in the late afternoon, and it lasts for three hours.

So excuse me if I dont feel sorry for these guys when they get there feelings hurt when they hear some boo birds, esp. when they are playing horribly

Some people will get what I'm saying and then some people won't. You obviously don't.

Hicks
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
It's a juggling act. On the one hand, it's just a game and if they're playing well, let'm know it, and if they're not, same thing. You pay for it. On the other hand, sometimes these guys NEED us when they DON'T deserve it, so they don't slip in to something worse than where they already are, or just to get out of a rough patch (within a game, or a season/series).

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Two things:

1. Fans should cheer all the time, win or lose. In fact, they should cheer more when their team is losing, because believe it or not fans can impact a game this way. The players feed off the energy.

2. JO should understand that fans arent booing because they are losing, but instead they are booing because the team has developed a habit of showing up with absolutely no effort. Its not as bad now as it was at beginning of the season, but the fans arent gonna care if the players dont.

Kstat
01-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Fans have a right to boo.

Paying for a ticket doesnt entitle you to much, but it DOES entitle you to that.

rabid
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Fans have the right to cheer or boo. It's there money and I won't deny that they have that right.

But if you want the team to WIN more consistently, then CHEER more consistently. Guess what - it works!

If your team is playing like crap and you cheer loudly for them, they have a better chance of making a comeback and making the game competitive. It's not rocket science, that's just how it works.

Raskolnikov
01-16-2006, 01:36 AM
I can understand that when you're team is playing bad you're not going to cheer them and be dissapointed about their play. But booing them? Never comes to my mind.

indypacerfan54
01-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Booing accomplishes nothing, its rude and demeaning. If you dont like it leave. Noone forced you to purchase a ticket. I get so tired of the "I pay good money to go to the game."

It basically comes down to: yes you have the right to boo whether you pay "good money" (is there such a thing as bad money?) or dont. Just because you have the right to do something doesnt always mean its prudent or civilized.

These guys are doing manual labor for other peoples enjoyment. Regardless of how much money they make they are just regular people doing a job. Sometimes they have good days and sometimes they have bad ones.

Raskolnikov
01-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Booing accomplishes nothing, its rude and demeaning. If you dont like it leave. Noone forced you to purchase a ticket. I get so tired of the "I pay good money to go to the game."

It basically comes down to: yes you have the right to boo whether you pay "good money" (is there such a thing as bad money?) or dont. Just because you have the right to do something doesnt always mean its prudent or civilized.

These guys are doing manual labor for other peoples enjoyment. Regardless of how much money they make they are just regular people doing a job. Sometimes they have good days and sometimes they have bad ones.
Exactly my point, though I didn't express myself so well.

Peck
01-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Wow.

Let's just say you would not want to attend a game with me. I sit & watch the entire game. I very rarely cheer but then I almost never boo either.

Yet, I have been a ticket holder since 1985 & have been at every single playoff game since with the exeption of one game two years ago vs. Detroit because I was in D.C.

Now, because you jump up & down & "support" the team does that make you more of a fan than me because I sit quietly & watch the game?

Don't get me wrong I jump up for a big play just like everybody else & when Rick introduced the new starting lineup a couple of weeks ago I actually stood & applauded during the intro's.

But I just like to watch the game & have no interest in being the person people are watching.

As to the booing?

My thoughts are this, if you expect cheering for great play then you should expect booing for horrid play.

Nobody should boo the team because they lose, but if you feel as though there is a real lack of effort being put into it then you have a right to do so.

Some people would say that you have an obligation to do so. Because why should an orginization ever change anything if the only re-inforcment the get is of a positive nature?

Either way though I still enjoy the games.

Kstat
01-16-2006, 02:49 AM
I personally dont mind people's opinions, I just wouldnt want someone to tell me not to boo. I wouldn't tell someone else they have to boo.

indypacerfan54
01-16-2006, 03:04 AM
I would never tell anyone not to boo its none of my business. I would just have less respect for them as a person.

I have always had a theory that people who boo either never played in sports or if they did had extremely poor sportsmanship. Thats why I like induvidual sports so much. Induvidual sports foster a respect and understanding of the athlete opposite of you. This makes people appreciate the effort and talent it takes to even compete at a high level.

I cant remember the last time I saw booing at a poorly played tennis match or golf outing or swim meet. In fact the only booing I have ever heard at an induvidual sport is at a boxing match. The booing was from a lack of "action" from some degenerates who feel their price of admission entitles them to see men bleed. Those people would be better served at the dog fights. I love boxing and watch to see contrasting styles, athleticism and ring generalship...not blood.

Peck
01-16-2006, 04:27 AM
I would never tell anyone not to boo its none of my business. I would just have less respect for them as a person.

I have always had a theory that people who boo either never played in sports or if they did had extremely poor sportsmanship. Thats why I like induvidual sports so much. Induvidual sports foster a respect and understanding of the athlete opposite of you. This makes people appreciate the effort and talent it takes to even compete at a high level.

I cant remember the last time I saw booing at a poorly played tennis match or golf outing or swim meet. In fact the only booing I have ever heard at an induvidual sport is at a boxing match. The booing was from a lack of "action" from some degenerates who feel their price of admission entitles them to see men bleed. Those people would be better served at the dog fights. I love boxing and watch to see contrasting styles, athleticism and ring generalship...not blood.

Booing at boxing happens a lot more than for lack of blood. I've seen guys get boo'd for getting in the clutch to much.

Local club boxing is a lot more verbal than some of the more mainstreem stuff so maybe that's not a good example from my part.

Again, let me restate what I said above.

I think it's wrong to boo a team who is losing, unless they are being totally outplayed in every aspect of the game with a lack of effort.

Now just because I think it's wrong that doesn't mean that I begrudge guys who want to boo.

Differant fans have differant expectations of thier teams.

Eindar
01-16-2006, 04:45 AM
I think the problem is that the Pacers have been too good for too long. I mean, how long has it been since we've sucked? I mean, REALLY sucked. like, top 5 draft pick sucked. 1993? Earlier? I can't even really remember. The expectations are so high, anything less than near domination is seen as failure. Take this team, for example. They're still playing above .500 ball. You know they're going to make the playoffs. You think Atlanta fans would be screaming "you suck" when the Hawks lose if the Hawks were well on their way to the playoffs? How about the Hornets, or the Warriors? Nope, those fans would be ecstatic to have what we have, even on nights they lost a game.

I hate to say it, but this organization needs a true winning drought before the casual fans will get back on board. I've had several casual fans talk Pacers with me, I've mentioned that we lost, and they say, "we lose all the time, no big deal", which couldn't be further from the truth. We need to revisit some serious losing so this awful, awful city will feel we are underdogs again, and that it's "OK" to support the Pacers.

I'm going to make a prediction here, so I hope this post doesn't get erased. The Colts have plateaued. They're going to be an above average team for the next 5 seasons, but they probably won't win a title. At some point in the next 4 years, the Colts will get Boos at the RCA dome when they are having a winning season but losing a game. Bank on it. This city HATES consistent winning, for some reason. They want the team to suck, then be great, then suck, and then great again. I've never seen any city so in love with the underdog mentality. Maybe one too many screenings of "Hoosiers" and "Rudy".

As a postnote, the fact that 50% of the seats at Conseco are filled by corporate folks doesn't help. They've pretty much priced the rabid fans right out of the building. Also, the accoustics there are crap. However, both of those are secondary to the underdog thing.

RWB
01-16-2006, 11:46 AM
As a postnote, the fact that 50% of the seats at Conseco are filled by corporate folks doesn't help. They've pretty much priced the rabid fans right out of the building.

Eindar has hit the compellng fact. The NBA, the players, it's all about money and the fans realize it too. I can't remember ever booing, but I know I've thrown my hands up in disgust many times.

beast23
01-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I doubt there are many fans that attend games thinking that they will end up booing the home team. Fans attend in order to see their guys play well and win. Fans want something to cheer about and in fact, thrive on it.

Fans pay their hard-earned money to attend games. Some fans, like Kegboy, see their ticket prices shoot up 50-60% from one season to the next because of the higher salaries paid for the new contracts (Jackson, Bender, Foster, Tinsley, Artest) and realize that their dollars need to go towards more important things than attending Pacer games.

Higher salaries mean that we will pay higher prices a the ticket booth. After purchasing that ticket, I will usually sit quietly and watch the games, a lot like Peck. I will sometimes cheer a particularly good play or an extreme effort, whether that effort is successful or not.

I'll cheer my team when they can't hit the broad side of a barn, but are putting in every possible effort to stop the team on the other end of the floor.

In our suite, I quickly quiet those who boo the close calls when they don't go our way. (By the way, IMO there is a difference between a blown call and making the wrong call in a close play.) What the heck, that's why we call them "close calls", because they could go either way, and in the blink of an eye, anyone could make a mistake.

And as long as the effort is there, whether it be by players or by the refs, I will always frown on booing. It wouldn't matter whether my team was up 20 or down 20, if the effort is there then don't boo.

But when a team comes out flat, they don't rush the perimeter shooters, they don't box out and give up offensive rebound after offensive rebound, then all bets are off. They've essentially begged to get booed, so why not oblige them?

Through the years, contractors that work for me would say that I'm probably a demanding person to work for, but also a fair one. I've been known to send contractors home the rest of the day if they are spending extended periods of time being non-productive. Since fans can't send their players home, the only feed back they can give them is to either boo or to quit buying tickets.

Since the booing doesn't happen all that often, I think that Donnie would probably prefer that we keep buying tickets.

Black Sox
01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Let's just face the facts. A large percentage of the people at the games aren't there to root for the team. Most of them don't even watch the game. To many corporate people have tickets now, but the way prices are now I don't blame the real pacer fans not spending their money for tickets. For the true pacer fans, keep supporting the team.

grace
01-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I'll make a deal with JO. I'll cheer my *** off if he'll stop pouting when calls don't go his way. I reserve the right to boo him when he's stupid enough to get a technical from Tony Brothers.

Pacesetter
01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
booing is always going to be a part of it, not my favorite, but part of sports, and most players can deal with boos if they feel they have it coming. Hurling insults at players as they leave games, or spewing insults while they are exiting the court is foul. Listening to people yell out nasty comments to our guys while the ball's in play is mean, nasty, and cruel to our own team! These people need a good swift kick in the pants as they're ushered out the doors. Our guys have worked their whole lives playing this game, and honing their skills. What salary they make now is a result of all those late nights playin ball til late hours, and hoping their dreams to play in the NBA come true someday. Saying that they should have to deal with subhuman behaviour or drunk talk because you buy a jersey or spend $20 or $600 on a seat is laughable - you don't have THAT right!

Kstat
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
booing is always going to be a part of it, not my favorite, but part of sports, and most players can deal with boos if they feel they have it coming. Hurling insults at players as they leave games, or spewing insults while they are exiting the court is foul. Listening to people yell out nasty comments to our guys while the ball's in play is mean, nasty, and cruel to our own team! These people need a good swift kick in the pants as they're ushered out the doors. Our guys have worked their whole lives playing this game, and honing their skills. What salary they make now is a result of all those late nights playin ball til late hours, and hoping their dreams to play in the NBA come true someday. Saying that they should have to deal with subhuman behaviour or drunk talk because you buy a jersey or spend $20 or $600 on a seat is laughable - you don't have THAT right!

cue the violin playing in the background.....

Hicks
01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
cue the violin playing in the background.....

This forum could use less sarcasm.

Kstat
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Consider yourself lucky. I've been trying to find a pic of the tree from that ep of Family Guy playing the violin, but I gave up.

Pacesetter
01-16-2006, 11:12 PM

It's ok by me, I just look over them. They don't even phase me. :finger: :D