PDA

View Full Version : Houston now in the Artest hunt?

Nick
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
From Chris Sheridan's ESPN.com chat this afternoon:

"I think the Pacers are no closer to doing anything with the Nuggets, Warriors or Timberwolves than they were 2 weeks ago, but I'm hearing that the Rockets (who don't have anything outside of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady that interests the Pacers) are trying to find a player that Indiana does like. The end result would be a three- or four-way trade that would bring Artest to Houston."

Hmmm

http://www.absolutepacers.com

Shade
01-13-2006, 12:47 PM
What do the Rox have, outside of TMac/Yao, that ANY team would want enough to net Houston Ron? Don't see it happnenin.'

Slick Pinkham
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
What do the Rox have, outside of TMac/Yao, that ANY team would want enough to net Houston Ron? Don't see it happnenin.'

Luther Head (nice talent if you think he can be a PG instead of a tiny 2)
draft picks
expiring contracts (Weatherspoon, Wesley)

doesn't seem enough...

sweabs
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Stromile Swift?

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Luther Head (nice talent if you think he can be a PG instead of a tiny 2)
draft picks
expiring contracts (Weatherspoon, Norris)

doesn't seem enough...

I know I will be in the minority here..

Luther Head is the real deal, I would be willing to trade for him and J Howard which works straight up... Or Swift and Head ...

Slick Pinkham
01-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Head + Howard or Swift + lottery pick and I'm in.

blanket
01-13-2006, 12:59 PM

I agree. I think getting a third team involved in a trade between the Pacers and Rockets would be even harder than one between the Pacers and Nuggets (Watson and Nene), and we've seen just how fruitful that's been for them.

Nick
01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
A Yao + TMac + Artest tandom could really be something...

Hicks
01-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Swift and Head might be an interesting package.

Slick Pinkham
01-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm sure that Donnie wants Head. Who wouldn't?

blanket
01-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm sure that Donnie wants Head. Who wouldn't?

:eyebrow:

unstandable
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
How about Artest to Houston, Head & Swift to Atlanta, and Al Harrington to Indy? Atlanta might be more open to that than the Watson and Nene package. I think they pursued Swift in the offseason.

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Swift and Head might be an interesting package.
Yep, athletic big man and another shooter/ball handler with tremendous upside....

certainly could fill some needs...

Unclebuck
01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I heard on a Canadian radio station that I stream on my computer at work that the Rockets are interested in trading Yao and McGrady for Artest and salary filler. They're worried about McGrady's back and Yao's toe and want to pawn them off on some stupid team.

Now Hicks told you that he was going to close any threads that contained a "radio report" You're bad very bad man

ChicagoJ
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
If the Rockets get Artest for Luther Head, it will be a 'steal'.

:rimshot:

blanket
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
How about Artest to Houston, Head & Swift to Atlanta, and Al Harrington to Indy? Atlanta might be more open to that than the Watson and Nene package.

I think you're right that Atlanta would be more interested in that package, but it still raises the question of how would we resign Harrington? He's said he's looking for a big payday, and we should be looking at Granger as the future of teh SF position.

PacerFan31
01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
If I was a reporter, I would just keep a mic in front of Al Harrington, we all know that he'll sing like a bird if he knows anything.

BTW: Thanx for the info on Maggette Al.

Raskolnikov
01-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Why would the Pacers take another PG in Luther Head? OK, we could send along Gill with Artest, but that still leaves 3 PG's over which Head isn't gonna get playing time immediately. That would give him sort of the role Eddie Gill has now.

Or is he more of a SG? If so, then I still don't see any reason why we'd do it. There's no PT for him.

CableKC
01-13-2006, 01:28 PM
^^^question for those that want Harrington back....do you think that the Pacers are gonna resign him...considering that he is an UNRESTRICTED Free Agent AND is likely to be one of the top 5 Free Agents next season?

I simply don't see the Pacers ponying up the money to get him unless the intention is to use him as S&T bait for other players during the 2006 offseason.

RWB
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
KC, I do wonder though if maybe there have been some back door channels letting the PAcers know Al may take a little less just to come back home. Kind of the way Brad Miller came out in the paper saying he was home sick.

CableKC
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
KC, I do wonder though if maybe there have been some back door channels letting the PAcers know Al may take a little less just to come back home. Kind of the way Brad Miller came out in the paper saying he was home sick.
If one is optimistic.....then we can all wish that this is what Al secretly wants. But since I'm a pessimist....let's look at the reality here. By the start of the 2006 regular season....Harrington is going to be 26 years old....he's likely to be one of the top 5 Free Agents next season ( an unrestricted one at that ). He's gonna want to look for a huge long term contract so that he can get paid and secure his future for the rest of his life and family.

Unless we are talking about the Pacers offering a deal that is slightly less then what he is getting ( which is highly unlikely ) from the likely GMs/Teams that will be offering him something significant.....I seriously doubt that he will take less money just to play for a team and organization that he likes. If he did take less...then he's pretty stupid.

About Brad Miller.....he's in a totally different boat then Harrington. He's 29 years old...he's already set for life with his huge long term contract and has the luxury of saying that he misses playing for the Pacers.

If we were the Knicks or the Mavs and the Owners didn't care about money...then I would be more inclined to believe that we will resign ANY player that is eligible for Free Agency next season.....but given that we are in "penny pinching" mode....I highly doubt that we resign even a player like Freddie....much less a player like Harrington.

blanket
01-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Even if Al came back at a reasonable contract, where would that put Danny? he's starter-on-a-championship-team material -- if not now, then in the near future -- so why make him a backup for the forseeable future by signing someone who plays his position to a big contract?

RWB
01-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I just have this feeling Al is NOT going to get a max contract from anyone. To me the over spending by GMs we have seen in the previous years (inlcuding our own DW) is begining to shift the other direction. When I say Al may take a cut I don't mean lower than what he currently makes. Maybe a fair pay increase would do the trick.

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Why would the Pacers take another PG in Luther Head? OK, we could send along Gill with Artest, but that still leaves 3 PG's over which Head isn't gonna get playing time immediately. That would give him sort of the role Eddie Gill has now.

Or is he more of a SG? If so, then I still don't see any reason why we'd do it. There's no PT for him.

Ok Head is more of a natural 2 really, but he can handles the ball somehwat he is a converted 1, and believe me, you would find a place for him.

Suaveness
01-13-2006, 02:06 PM
This is a dirty, dirty thread....

GetOdom
01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Unless we get T-Mac then no.

Young
01-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Head.

I don't want Swift though. Doesn't live up to expectations and nothing more than an overpaid athletic shot blocker.

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Unless we get T-Mac then no.

Alright, name the players that You would settle for Artest...

I am guessing it's very very short list with Odom taking the first two spots..

:cool:

CableKC
01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I just have this feeling Al is NOT going to get a max contract from anyone. To me the over spending by GMs we have seen in the previous years (inlcuding our own DW) is begining to shift the other direction. When I say Al may take a cut I don't mean lower than what he currently makes. Maybe a fair pay increase would do the trick.
You're right that Harrington isn't worth a "Max" contract. But I really think that there are teams that are really interested in him....enough interest to essentially price him out of the Pacers pockets. Maybe there is a slight swing back in the other direction of overpaying players.....but there is always a stupid GM other there that is going to do it.

I can totally see teams like the Bulls and ( of course ) the Knicks....that both need a starting quality SF....to overbid for his services. Especially for a team like the Knicks that shelled out a huge contract for a foul-prone player that they don't even use....I am pretty sure that Zeke and the Knicks will wine-dine and throw a huge@ss offer at Harrington.

DG-33
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't wanna see Donnie Walsh get Head from the Rockets, but if he can T-Mac, I'd take him, injured back and all.

GetOdom
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Alright, name the players that You would settle for Artest...

I am guessing it's very very short list with Odom taking the first two spots..

Odom would be a dream come true, but I don't see it happening... though I'd settle for a player like Rashard Lewis or Carlos Boozer maybe?

CableKC
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't wanna see Donnie Walsh getting Head from the Rockets,
To tell you the truth....I don't want to see that either. :laugh:

As Suaveness said...this is a very dirty thread.....:rolleyes:

Kegboy
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Head's a player. The problem is, we already have two combo guards. I guess you could try and sell Atl on Swift/Head, but they certainly don't need another guard, no matter how good he may eventually be.

I really can't think of any team that has something we'd want that wouldn't just want Ron instead. Maybe Boston, but I don't see them giving up Pierce for anything Houston has.

Here's an idea. How about Chicago? I don't know if they're still open to trading Gordon, but Head would be a big hit there, and Swift gives them a much needed Big. Eh, probably not.

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Head's a player. The problem is, we already have two combo guards. I guess you could try and sell Atl on Swift/Head, but they certainly don't need another guard, no matter how good he may eventually be.

I really can't think of any team that has something we'd want that wouldn't just want Ron instead. Maybe Boston, but I don't see them giving up Pierce for anything Houston has.

Here's an idea. How about Chicago? I don't know if they're still open to trading Gordon, but Head would be a big hit there, and Swift gives them a much needed Big. Eh, probably not.

Chicago in a three way, has made sense to me from day one.
I really like Deng, I think I saw an article a few days ago that Chicago was perhaps open to trading Gordon for some player , I think possibly Harrington.

blanket
01-13-2006, 02:39 PM
You're right that Harrington isn't worth a "Max" contract. But I really think that there are teams that are really interested in him....enough interest to essentially price him out of the Pacers pockets. Maybe there is a slight swing back in the other direction of overpaying players.....but there is always a stupid GM other there that is going to do it.

I can totally see teams like the Bulls and ( of course ) the Knicks....that both need a starting quality SF....to overbid for his services. Especially for a team like the Knicks that shelled out a huge contract for a foul-prone player that they don't even use....I am pretty sure that Zeke and the Knicks will wine-dine and throw a huge@ss offer at Harrington.

I agree that Harrington is in line to get a big contract this summer, and he knows it, too.

Did everyone here see ESPN's rankings of the 2006 free agents?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18029

They have Harrington as the 2nd best player! And since Ben Wallace, as their pick for 1st, is a virtual lock to stay in Detriot, that makes Al first in line at the bank.

Eric_Pincus
01-13-2006, 02:49 PM
It's a weak free agent market - Harrington will get more than he would say if he were a free agent last summer.

RWB
01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
It's a weak free agent market - Harrington will get more than he would say if he were a free agent last summer.

But Eric, wouldn't you say the majority of GMs are trying to create cap for the big free agent race in two years?

dannyboy
01-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Yes to aquiring Luther Head. His play would force him into the rotation. Plus if he keeps getting better, the Rockets being the Rockets will end up trading him to someone anyway. Why not Indy?

No to aquiring the Stro show. He is lost on the court. I won't be surprised if at some point he shoots into the other team's basket (or should I say his own basket).

EDIT: The first line of message 29 is my favorite.

ChicagoJ
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Chicago in a three way, has made sense to me from day one.

I really like Deng, I think I saw an article a few days ago that Chicago was perhaps open to trading Gordon for some player , I think possibly Harrington.

Chicago getting Head in a three-way.

I can see the headlines now.

Wow.

Moses
01-13-2006, 04:03 PM
It would be a steal if Houston got Artest for head alone. I think a 3 way between another team that wants head could work so head would be given all around to different teams.

Anthem
01-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I can't tell who's innocent and who's doing it on purpose.

ChicagoJ
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I can't tell who's innocent and who's doing it on purpose.

I know, that makes it even funnier.

Bball
01-13-2006, 05:15 PM
:eek:

larry
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
head is dope. im sure dw sees it like i do. problem is his role would be fred jones. i dont know if i could spring but all you guys making fun of him need 2 see how pure of a shooter he is. yes any deal would need more 2 it.

blanket
01-13-2006, 05:20 PM
head is dope. im sure dw sees it like i do. problem is his role would be fred jones. i dont know if i could spring but all you guys making fun of him need 2 see how pure of a shooter he is. yes any deal would need more 2 it.

I don't think anyone's making fun of him, just having some juvenile fun with his name. ;)

larry
01-13-2006, 05:26 PM
first line on purpose

PacersGuest
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I'd take Swift, Head, and a pick for Artest...

Swift has crazy athleticism for a big and is a good shotblocker and rebounder...plus, his offense continues to progress. Head is a good young prospect who can play the 1 and 2.

blanket
01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
first line on purpose

:confused:

blanket
01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd take Swift, Head, and a pick for Artest...

Swift has crazy athleticism for a big and is a good shotblocker and rebounder...plus, his offense continues to progress. Head is a good young prospect who can play the 1 and 2.

I tend to agree, although I think we'd want to move someone from that backcourt logjam, too -- maybe in a separate trade.

... and I know the Pacers were high on Luther Head going into last year's draft (before Granger fell into our laps).