PDA

View Full Version : Star}Injury fears cool Pacers on Maggette

Will Galen
01-13-2006, 03:55 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060113/SPORTS04/601130488/1088

January 13, 2006

Injury fears cool Pacers on Maggette
INDIANA RULES OUT DEAL FOR CLIPPERS' PLAYER

By Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers expressed interest in Los Angeles Clippers forward Corey Maggette but won't trade for him because of health concerns, a Pacers official with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

Both teams discussed a deal that would have sent Pacers forward Ron Artest to Los Angeles for the athletic Maggette, but the Pacers are worried Maggette's left foot injury could keep him out the rest of the season.
Maggette has a separated ligament in his foot and has been sidelined since early December. He is expected to be in a cast for another four to six weeks.
Maggette can't match Artest defensively, but he would have given the Pacers an added offensive weapon. He's averaging 21.7 points and 5.5 rebounds in 13 games this season.

Now it appears the Artest trade saga will stretch into a sixth week. The team placed him on the inactive list and told him to stay away from the team Dec. 12. The NBA's trading deadline is Feb. 23.

"We would like to get a deal done," Pacers president Larry Bird said. "We're looking at every option. Teams continue to call us every day, but we're going to do what's right for the franchise and not just do a deal to do one. We want somebody who is going to fit in with this team."

Denver and Golden State are believed still in the running for Artest. The Pacers have said they prefer to send Artest to a Western Conference team.

"We knew at the beginning of this journey that (Pacers CEO) Donnie Walsh was going to do what is best for the Indiana Pacers," Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, said. "Whatever the outcome is, we're patiently waiting to play basketball somewhere."

Will Galen
01-13-2006, 04:18 AM
This statement ". . . the Pacers are worried Maggette's left foot injury could keep him out the rest of the season," tells me that the Pacer brass haven't given up on this season.

Another thought is that if they aren't going to get someone to help this year they have another trade in mind that helps the future other than Maggette.

GetOdom
01-13-2006, 04:22 AM
I know for a fact, Walsh wants to win a championship right now, thats why I was agaisnt the trade.

Walsh is commiting to getting a player who will help the Pacers reach there goal which is a championship Magg's was not gonna do that.

Smart move Walsh.

indygeezer
01-13-2006, 05:56 AM
It also doesn't say that they wouldn't allow the Clips to sweaten the pot a little though. A little extra incentive here or there maybe?
I doubt it but...........

Hicks
01-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I still can't get over the fact that Donnie "Everything with the future in mind" Walsh couldn't see past this season and make what appears to be the best deal we could have hoped for just because it doesn't help us THIS year. That doesn't fit him at all, and I think this is a mistake.

Unclebuck
01-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Vescey seems a day late here, but still offers some interesting insight into past offers.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/pfriendly_new.php

WIN-LOSE SITUATION
By PETER VECSEY

CONTINGENT on the Pacers' doctors not being dissuaded by Corey Maggette's medical documents and Clippers' coach Mike Dunleavy not being discouraged by an Indiana-approved personal powwow with Ron Artest, the two swingmen, each presenting towering risks and soaring rewards, will swap uniforms shortly, sources reveal.

Maggette, averaging 68.5 games in six previous seasons, has missed all but 13 this season (his last action was Dec. 5) due to injuries. Currently his left foot is in a cast and may need surgery. If not, the 6-6 hard-body whose specialty is attaining the free throw line of life 10 times per and converting nine, figures to be out of action for another five weeks.

While no recovery date is set in stone, there's a full expectation that one day in the not so distant future Maggette will be back in force . . . at least on one end of the floor.

Artest, on the other hand, is a bluntly effectively instrument on both sides of the ball. When not serving NBA and team suspensions, that is. Both players have three years remaining on their near-clone contracts.

There's no argument which one is superior when both are physically and emotionally healthy. There's also no argument which one is pricklier to manage. What makes Dunleavy think he can control Artest any better, or any longer, than the Pacers, who tried everything imaginable to chill him out, curb his reckless behavior and change his abhorrent abnormality?

What can Dunleavy hope to learn from one conversation that'll convince him this is the appropriate move?

How can anyone conceivably prepare to incorporate Artest's combustible triple X-Factor personality into the scheme of things?

Early last month, the Clippers, 14-5 to start the season, harbored absolutely no intention of trading Maggette for Artest. Their first fishing expedition had Chris Wilcox's name on the hook, in addition to a No. 1 pick. Cuttino Mobley was the bait on their second foray.

A couple days before Christmas, the Pacers made it clear it was either Maggette or lose our phone number; it's believed Indiana was angling to re-route Maggette to the Hawks for Al Harrington, a slight possibility that seemingly no longer exists.

At that time, the undermanned Clippers (Quinton Ross also got hurt) were beginning to slip in the standings and were greatly tempted. But, again, despite the mounting pressure to turn things around, Dunleavy and GM Elgin Baylor resisted. That's how much they appreciate Maggette as a player and a person.

Funny how nine losses in 13 games — as well as Maggette's updated, grim projection — can reform your position. While the deeper Pacers are ready and willing to endure his lengthy healing process, the Clippers feel they've festered long enough.

Last summer, owner Donald Sterling took an uncustomary financial plunge to compete at the highest level this season, not two or three years from now. Sam Cassell (a relatively easy-to-swallow $6.1M) and Mobley ($42M for five) were recruited to enhance Elton Brand, Maggette, Chris Kaman, Ross, Wilcox and an incursion of un-ripened (notably Shaun Livingston) talent.

Minus Maggette and Ross (out four games) Dunleavy was forced to play numerous people out of position and the Clippers, once first in defensive field-goal percentage, tumbled to 10th.

Hence the (fatal?) attraction for both teams: The Pacers can afford to wait on Maggette, whereas the Clippers can't afford not to wait on Artest.

Confirming a Washington report, the Grizzlies indeed are trying to acquire Chucky Atkins from the Wizards with a $4.4M trade exception. Contrary to that same report, the Knicks have expressed no desire to obtain the deadly long-distance shooter. Sources say the Grizzlies also are pressing the Celtics for Mark Blount. Boston wants Lorenzen Wright's expiring contract, not Brian Cardinal's four-year, $26.5 obligation past this season.

If we're to believe Larry Brown has no interest in playing power personnel broker, how come he's forever calling friends throughout the league — primarily assistant coaches/assistant GMs — and suggesting trades? Despite the Knicks' unblemished January success, they're out there talking to everyone regarding just about everyone, as they should be.

The secret's out: The way to beat the Suns is to get 'em into a 63-minute marathon. Prior to hosting the Warriors last night, Phoenix had won seven of its last nine games, the only two losses coming in triple overtime at New York and Denver, eight days apart.

Think that's incredible? Back in '57, UNC beat Wilt's Kansas squad for the NCAA title in three extra sessions. The day before that, UNC beat Michigan State in three OTs. That should be the definition of incredible.

Nevertheless, some people are inclined to think the Suns are overworked. After the loss to the Nuggets, they received concerned calls from those on Nike's assembly line.

Can't remember the last time a team accumulated more offensive rebounds (Knicks had 28 Wednesday) than its opponents' (Dallas grabbed 27 in the OT loss) defensive rebounds. Permit me to angel-dust off the old axiom: "You're never as good as you look when you win or as bad as you look when you lose." Still, there's no denying the Knicks are the best 12-21 team in basketball.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

PacerMan
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I still can't get over the fact that Donnie "Everything with the future in mind" Walsh couldn't see past this season and make what appears to be the best deal we could have hoped for just because it doesn't help us THIS year. That doesn't fit him at all, and I think this is a mistake.

Are you forgetting the HUGE expectations everyone had going in to this season?? Did anyone here NOT expect to make at least the conference finals?
Ok, so then Dipstick implodes (again) and now were supposed to write the season off?? Sorry, this is PRO sports. Doesn't work like that. They have to do everything in their power to show/prove to their fans that we are fighting this.
Not laying down like little babies. The $$ reprecussions of doing anything less would be significant.

Frank Slade
01-13-2006, 09:04 AM

I agree, Maggette has 3 years left on his contract, it would be worth it unless the Pacers thought this would be a chronic ailment, or perhaps they do have another trade waiting in the works.. I am will be interesed to see what happens shortly

Harmonica
01-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Can't have it both ways, man. Is he Donnie "Everything with the future in mind" Walsh, or Donnie "Thinking about winning now" Walsh?

Hicks
01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
He's Mr. Future. Everyone knows that. It's how he keeps thing afloat, but generally keeps us from winning a title, too. That's why I was initially so surprised/disappointed in us turning down Maggette because it's out of his character. See the other thread.

Harmonica
01-13-2006, 10:48 AM
He's Mr. Future. Everyone knows that. It's how he keeps thing afloat, but generally keeps us from winning a title, too. That's why I was initially so surprised/disappointed in us turning down Maggette because it's out of his character. See the other thread.

Good ol' labels. Well, seems he's "Mr. Now" now.

Outlaw
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I know some people on here are upset about the deal not being done.But I would not want to bank that Cory will be the same player if the pacers medical staff sees red flags.We've already had that problem with Bender.Bender's situation SHOULD make TPTB question the future of Cory beyond the injury.Who knows he may be fine OR may never quite be the same again.IMHO:cool:

Jon Theodore
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised mr. future isnt ready to get Pietrus and Biedrins in a Pacers uniform along with a possible draft pick.

Id almost rather GS throw us a draft pick instead of calbert cheaney, but if they want to give us both that works too.

Shade
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
This could wind up being a colossal mistake on our part.

RWB
01-13-2006, 11:37 AM
This could wind up being a colossal mistake on our part.

Which way Shade? Not making the trade or making the trade?

Shade
01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Which way Shade? Not making the trade or making the trade?

Not making the trade. If Maggs ends up being healthy and we trade Ron for an inferior player, it won't be pretty.