PDA

View Full Version : LA Times:Foot injury deal-breaker/ Indiana rejected Chris Wilcox offer

Bball
01-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Maggette's Foot Injury Is Deal-Breaker for Artest
By Jason Reid and Pete Thomas, Times Staff Writers

Concerned about forward Corey Maggette's left foot injury, the Indiana Pacers on Thursday rejected a trade proposal that would have brought All-Star forward Ron Artest to the Clippers.

Indiana ended its pursuit of Maggette, injured Dec. 5 against the Miami Heat, in part because he might require surgery to implant a screw in his foot and be sidelined the remainder of the season, NBA sources said.

Indiana, in talks for weeks with the Clippers, also rejected a proposal for power forward Chris Wilcox that would not have included Maggette.

Although eager to bolster a roster depleted by injuries, the Clippers apparently won't receive a boost from Artest.

"I'm not going to talk about negotiations," Coach Mike Dunleavy said after practice Thursday at the Spectrum health club in El Segundo. "We've talked to people, but I'm not going to mention what the negotiations were.

"We made a comment that we had an interest in Artest. It just depends on the price, and right now it's not the right price."[b]

[b]The Clippers initially rejected the Pacers' offer of Artest for Maggette, but things changed for the Clippers because of injuries, including Maggette's.

The team's second-leading scorer with an average of 21.7 points, Maggette was expected to return in late December, but team medical personnel on Dec. 23 revealed he had a separation of the ligament between the bones midway in the foot. Maggette's foot was placed in a cast, and he's expected to be sidelined another four to six weeks if surgery is not required.

Because of questions about Maggette's short- and long-term status, the Clippers strongly considered acquiring Artest, whose on- and off-court behavior prompted the Pacers to put him on the inactive list Dec. 12, two days after he voiced his desire to be traded.

Moreover, there is growing concern in the Clipper organization that the team might fail to earn a Western Conference playoff berth. Since a 14-5 start, the Clippers are 4-9 and have struggled on defense.

"We're not desperate," General Manager Elgin Baylor said. "You want to win, you hate to be losing games, but desperate? No, we've just got to put forth extra effort."

Maggette was pleased to learn that he wouldn't be traded for Artest.

"I just got the reassurance from Elgin right now that nothing's going to happen," Maggette said. "The biggest thing to me is that I know this is a business, so I've got to handle it professionally.

"I love my fans here, I love Los Angeles, I love my teammates. But whatever happens, I'm going to handle it the way you're supposed to handle it. Putting on that uniform is a blessing, so whatever uniform I play with, it doesn't make any difference."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep13jan13,1,6438970.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

GetOdom
01-13-2006, 04:53 AM
To bad for us, I actually had a last second thinking that I could've lived with Magg's being Injured now and we get ready for next year atleast there is still hope we get a good deal done.

naptownmenace
01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow. That leads me to believe that the deal is officially dead now. Elgin Baylor isn't ballsy enough to tell Maggs that he's not going to be traded to the Pacers and then trade him there anyway.

If Baylor told him that, the deal is at least 95% dead. :(

Here's hoping the Pacers can still get Pietrus in that package deal GS offered.

Doug in CO
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Pietrus is nice - but does he address our offensive deficiencies

Not so much

naptownmenace
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Pietrus is nice - but does he address our offensive deficiencies

Not so much

Maybe the Clips will trade Mobley and Wilcox for Artest and the trade exception?

Jon Theodore
01-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I for one am not so concerned about getting an offensive player for Artest. Come playoff time, guys like Granger and DH are going to be MUCH better than the guys we are seeing right now. I think if we can get Pietrus, Biedrins, and a draft pick we absolutely HAVE to do that.

Pietrus gives us the defensive presence we miss with Ron. I think guys like Granger and Sarunas alone can make up for the 20 points a game we miss with Ron out of the lineup.

I think if we get Pietrus, we have to look to deal Fred Jones quickly. A package of Tinsley/Fred Jones could land us a solid point guard. The way Fred has been playing lately, we'd be stupid not to trade him. I guarantee he won't keep this up and he is going to be offered a lot of money when he becomes a free agent anyway.

Essentially we'd be looking at trading Ron/Tinsley/Freddie

for Pietrus/Biedrins/Calbert/Possible draft pick/Point Guard

But, Tins/Freddie would obviously be a totally different deal. I think that is something to consider and I'm sure it HAS been considered. Sjack/Pietrus at shooting guard is good enough.

Granger would get PLENTY of minutes at SF with Pietrus basically backing up Granger/Jack. I'd like to see the Pacers start going with bigger line-ups more regularly anyhow. I don't like seeing Granger at the 4 spot very much. Keep guys like Jermaine, Foster, DH, Cro, and Pollard in the 4/5 spots.

Chauncey
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
How does everyone feel about the Ps not taking Wilcox instead? I'd probably take Wilcox ahead of Maggette, myself, considering Maggette's reoccuring injuries..just seems strange to me, especially with Jax's play of late.

CableKC
01-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Pietrus gives us the defensive presence we miss with Ron. I think guys like Granger and Sarunas alone can make up for the 20 points a game we miss with Ron out of the lineup.

I think if we get Pietrus, we have to look to deal Fred Jones quickly. A package of Tinsley/Fred Jones could land us a solid point guard. The way Fred has been playing lately, we'd be stupid not to trade him. I guarantee he won't keep this up and he is going to be offered a lot of money when he becomes a free agent anyway.

^^^Agreed....getting offensive players is a good thing considering that I don't consider SJax a viable 2nd option ( he's fine as a 3rd option IMHO...but I don't think he would be happy with it )....but I would argue that I would much rather get a defensive-minded player as they are harder to come by then offensive-minded players. If we want a defensive minded player like Pietrus.....trading one of the best defensive minded players for him would likely be the best opportunity for us to get one as teams with defensive minded players are less likely to part with one AFTER Artest is off the market.

I would have lived with the Maggette trade SIMPLY cus I wanted to move on. But if that's off now....I would much rather get a defensive minded player like Pietrus now through Artest and look to acquire an "acceptable to decent" offensive minded player in the offseason and spread out the scoring among the rest of the starters.

Shade
01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
How does everyone feel about the Ps not taking Wilcox instead? I'd probably take Wilcox ahead of Maggette, myself, considering Maggette's reoccuring injuries..just seems strange to me, especially with Jax's play of late.

When healthy, Maggs is better and fits a need more than Wilcox.

And Jack will not keep up his current level of play.

CableKC
01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Part of the problem that I have with ANY Restricted or Unrestricted Free Agent ( such as Wilcox, Nene or Harrington ) is that we are essentially renting them for 1/2 a season given that it is unlikely that they will resign him in the offseason ( even if they have the right to match any offer if they are a RFA ).

Besides....if we had money to resign someone....I would much rather resign Freddie ( which I seriously doubt the Pacers will ).