PDA

View Full Version : Pacers.Com: No Deal in the Works With the Clippers

Mourning
01-12-2006, 07:35 PM
I suspect this has been posted a lot of times allready, but I didn't see it. Also due to the title of this small bit of text and the quote that could be read as something else, I'm positive it could and probably is spin.

"No Deal in the Works With the Clippers

I'm Conrad Brunner and this is the Pacers.com Confidential Report for Thursday, January 12th.

Despite widespread media reports of an agreement between the Pacers and Clippers to swap Ron Artest for Corey Maggette, Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh told Pacers.com today, "We don't have a deal for Maggette."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/daily_confidential.html

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Shade
01-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh told Pacers.com today, "We don't have a deal for Maggette."

"We are not looking to trade Jalen Rose."

Mourning
01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
"We are not looking to trade Jalen Rose."

I'm thinking more on the lines of getting the word "yet" to this sentence "We don't have a deal for Maggette."

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I believe Walsh.

I'm not sure Walsh is stupid enough to take on a Injured player who isn't gonna help us this year....

Jaydawg2270
01-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I dont believe anything anymore

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2006, 07:48 PM
The risk of us taking on an injured player is less than the risk the Clippers have in taking on Artest...
And for all he know, what Donnie said could actually mean we DO have a deal with the Clippers for Maggette. I never believe Donnie.

BTW GetOdom, stab is spelled wrong in your sig...

sweabs
01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
:woot:

No, I'm not taking his word as gospel; but I like the fact he said that instead of things remaining quiet.

So who's next? Pat Burke?

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2006, 07:53 PM
BTW it is kinda funny that out of all the rumors, he decided to shoot THIS one down on Pacers.com

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 07:58 PM
He's been shutting down every rumor since Ron has req the trade... the only reason he shut it down on Pacers.com was because of the question that was asked.

FrenchConnection
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Perhaps they got a look at the x-rays and backed out...

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Perhaps they got a look at the x-rays and backed out...

Ditto, thats what the report was on the radio.

SoupIsGood
01-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Ditto, thats what the report was on the radio.

:lmao: You and your radio reports

Jermaniac
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Ditto, thats what the report was on the radio.Did your mom's friends son tell you about this radio report?

FrenchConnection
01-12-2006, 08:28 PM
What I find interesting is that WISH TV is not only not retracting their story, but only added it to their website this afternoon at ten minutes to four.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4355594

I have been waiting all day for them to do this and I thought that the fact that they did not meant they were not so sure about their reporting, but them putting into print says to me that they are not retracting their story. Also, Walsh says "We don't have a deal for Maggette." Not that they are not working on a deal or that there will not be a deal or that a deal is not close, but only that there is not one at the present time. So the story of a deal pending a medical exam by the pacers and a "job interview" by the Clippers could still be correct.

Pacerized
01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
All DW said is "we don't have a deal". That doesn't mean he isn't working on one right now. Remember the Rose quote "we're not shopping Jalen", it still didn't mean he wouldn't trade him.

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't know if I like the deal hanging in the balance based upon a visit between the Clips and Ron. Although Ron in poerson, one-on-one does not come across as a monster

blanket
01-12-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm starting to think DW and Bird are just using Maggette's revised injury reports as a bargaining chip with the Clips to get more out of the trade (e.g., Wilcox, draft pick) to compensate for the fact that we may not get anything out of Corey for 1.5-6 months.

I hope it's that, and not that the trade is dead - if for no other reason than to just put an end to all of the speculation.

Frank Slade
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm starting to think DW and Bird are just using Maggette's revised injury reports as a bargaining chip with the Clips to get more out of the trade (e.g., Wilcox, draft pick) to compensate for the fact that we may not get anything out of Corey for 1.5-6 months.

I hope it's that, and not that the trade is dead - if for no other reason than to just put an end to all of the speculation.

Yeah I had thought about that , Pacers perhasp trying to add Wilcox to the mix as well..

CableKC
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I would be p*ssed if this deal dies without Walsh/Bird not attempting to get a draft pick out of this....duhh....it only makes sense.

Why do we want an injured player in return for Artest?

Cuz I would be satisfied with an injured Maggette that is either out for 2 months or out for the rest of the season as long as we get a draft pick out of this. I want to move on with this season. We're only going to go so far into the playoffs this season cuz of all this mess.......so I'm only looking ahead to the next season....when Maggette is healthy..

CableKC
01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah I had thought about that , Pacers perhasp trying to add Wilcox to the mix as well..

Just like any other RFA that is out there that we can acquire.....are we gonna resign him....much less Freddie?

If not...then there is no point to including him. I would prefer $$$ and Draft picks.

indyblue47
01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
TPTB could care less about my thoughts, but I hope they can do better than another "injured player" for Ron Maniac!

Out of all the trade rumors I've read about and heard, this one still seems the best:
I'm not sure we could do much better than a straight up deal for Pietrus, Andris Biedrins and Calbert Cheaney!

At least, we have bodies to help us through the long haul of the remaining season, plus we have a chance to build upon the future of this franchise!

Another "Possible Bender" is not what "We've" been waiting all this time for! Surely, Donnie and Bird know this and want to at least furnish this "injury-plagued" team with a couple more bodies, that also have a possibility of adding to the future of the Pacers!

My sentiments! My $ spend the same as the Maggette lovers' do!:buddies:

beast23
01-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Or, another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Is it possible that Donnie gave up the info to someone that he knew would leak it in order to entice other teams to up their anties?

For example, the Lakers probably wouldn't be too excited about their rivals getting Artest. So Donnie lets the possible trade leak to entice the Lakers to give up Odom (if he happened to have wanted Odom all along).

It might just be another ploy to grease the skids and get someone to up the antie.

DG-33
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
The deal is done. There's two much behind it, no other rumors have gotten mentioned on local TV, no other rumors have been mentioned on Pacers.com. The deals been in the works for a few days now. Walsh and Bird wanted to discuss it with the team, and it got to Harrington probably via O'Neal. Word has leaked out before Walsh wanted it to, and now he's denying it like he always does.

Isaac
01-12-2006, 09:26 PM
What is up Donnie's sleeve now??

CableKC
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
TPTB could care less about my thoughts, but I hope they can do better than another "injured player" for Ron Maniac!

Out of all the trade rumors I've read about and heard, this one still seems the best:
I'm not sure we could do much better than a straight up deal for Pietrus, Andris Biedrins and Calbert Cheaney!

At least, we have bodies to help us through the long haul of the remaining season, plus we have a chance to build upon the future of this franchise!

Another "Possible Bender" is not what "We've" been waiting all this time for! Surely, Donnie and Bird know this and want to at least furnish this "injury-plagued" team with a couple more bodies, that also have a possibility of adding to the future of the Pacers!

My sentiments! My $ spend the same as the Maggette lovers' do!:buddies:

I'm with you on the Warriors deal.

BTW....there has been no indication that Maggette's injury will turn him into another "Possible Bender" situation. I don't think Walsh would even consider this IF Maggette's injury is career threatening. At worst....his injury is season threatening as opposed to career ending. If anything...its a little bit more accurate to refer to any Maggette deal as a "Possible Tinsley" deal. But considering that Maggette has played more game then Tinsley has over the last 3 seasons....I'm a little more comfortable with Maggette getting injured then Tinsley.

Hicks
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I hope it's more spin before it's over soon. If we said no to Corey just because he may not help THIS year, we're being too damn short-sighted. Maggette is the best individual talent we're going to get for Artest in our situation.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
^^^Agreed.......as long as we get compensated for this through draft picks.

indygeezer
01-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I doubt if DW is too pleased with Al H. right now or the person that "leaked it to Al...unless it was a plant.

rexnom
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Why would Donnie do this if there really is a trade going on? Why not just stay quiet? Wouldn't it be good if Denver, for example, found out this was true? Then they would make one last-ditch effort to get Artest.

Anthem
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Everybody talks about how Donnie decieves, but I don't see where they get that.

This isn't a trade denial by Donnie, it's spin by Conrad.

pizza guy
01-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah. the only thing I can think of is, "We're not looking to trade Jalen." How long after that statement was Jalen outta town?

dagrubbs
01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I believe Walsh.

I'm not sure Walsh is stupid enough to take on a Injured player who isn't gonna help us this year....

with all due respect to DW, LB is the one making the decisions now with DW helping him. LB has said many times he's very happy with the team we have right now, so trading for a player that will help us next year and years to come isnt out of the realm of possibility. All you guys do is talk about being a contender again. I think we play good enough to be a contender this year, and with the addition of a VERY GOOD player in Maggette I think that the Pacers are doing a great job here.