View Full Version : MSNBC- Pacers reportedly dealing Artest for Maggette

scar
01-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Pacers reportedly dealing Artest for Maggette

Former teammate Harrington says trade to Clippers almost done

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 3:44 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2006

Ron Artest may be on the move, finally.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the Indiana Pacers were close to dealing Artest to the Clippers for Corey Maggette. The newspaper's source? Atlanta Hawks forward Al Harrington, who used to play for the Pacers.
Harrington told the paper that he heard from people in Indiana that the trade was close to being finalized. That would finally end the turbulent era of Artest in Indiana.

"Yeah, that would get it out of the water and off the Internet and all that nonsense," Harrington told the J-C. "But I've known for a couple of weeks now that nothing was going to happen with me. [Hawks general manager Billy Knight] told me that if there was going to be anything done he'd let me know. So it's been off of my mind for a while now."

One of the NBA’s greatest talents, Artest also is one of the league’s most mercurial personalities. The 26-year-old was placed on the inactive list by the Pacers earlier this month and was subsequently fined $10,000 by the league for publicly requesting a trade. Artest missed the bulk of last season after being suspended in November for attacking fans in the stands in Detroit.

Harrington told the J-C that he expects Artest to make whatever team he joins dangerous.
"Any team with a sane Ron Artest is going to be tough to deal with," Harrington said. "Any team with he's on with his mind right, is going to the playoffs and is going to make some noise. So it'll be good for Ron and for the Clippers."
Artest told the Indianapolis Star that he wasn't sure what to think of the rumors.
"You hear about them, but you never know what's true," he said. "I'm just waiting to find out which team I'll be playing for."

Artest hasn't appeared in a game since Dec. 6.

"I'm out of shape right now," Artest told the Star. "I've been working out at my gym at home, but it's not the same as playing in an NBA game. It's going to take me about a month after I get traded for me to get back into basketball shape."
In late December, Pacers president Larry Bird went public with comments that he felt “betrayed” and “disappointed” by his All-Star forward, and that Artest had to be traded.

“I think enough is enough,” Bird told the Indianapolis Star. “I think Ronnie will do fine, but not here.”

“I don’t know if this is the right wording, but I felt betrayed,” Bird said. “We’re disappointed. Things happen, maybe it’s a good thing. He’s a very talented player. I always liked working with him and how he went about things on the basketball court. He’s a top-12 player in the league, but we’re in a situation where we have to move on.”

Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh told the Rocky Mountain News that 10 teams were still in the running for Artest and will "narrow it down in the next couple of days."

The Rocky Mountain News also cited a source saying that the Nuggets were among the top three candidates to get Artest, and another is the Minnesota Timberwolves.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10824135/

Slick Pinkham
01-12-2006, 04:02 PM
time for able to pull out the axe for bad formatting/html crap

scar
01-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry guys, I'll try to fix it.

*Fixed. Didn't watch what I was doing the first time. My bad.

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Nothing new here, just some rehashing, although I admit it was difficult to read much of it

Since86
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry guys, I'll try to fix it.

*Fixed. Didn't watch what I was doing the first time. My bad.

Still needs link......

indygeezer
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Pacers reportedly dealing Artest for Maggette

Former teammate Harrington says trade to Clippers almost done

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 3:44 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2006

Ron Artest may be on the move, finally.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the Indiana Pacers were close to dealing Artest to the Clippers for Corey Maggette. The newspaper's source? Atlanta Hawks forward Al Harrington, who used to play for the Pacers.
Harrington told the paper that he heard from people in Indiana that the trade was close to being finalized. That would finally end the turbulent era of Artest in Indiana.

"Yeah, that would get it out of the water and off the Internet and all that nonsense," Harrington told the J-C. "But I've known for a couple of weeks now that nothing was going to happen with me. [Hawks general manager Billy Knight] told me that if there was going to be anything done he'd let me know. So it's been off of my mind for a while now."

One of the NBA’s greatest talents, Artest also is one of the league’s most mercurial personalities. The 26-year-old was placed on the inactive list by the Pacers earlier this month and was subsequently fined $10,000 by the league for publicly requesting a trade. Artest missed the bulk of last season after being suspended in November for attacking fans in the stands in Detroit.

Harrington told the J-C that he expects Artest to make whatever team he joins dangerous.
"Any team with a sane Ron Artest is going to be tough to deal with," Harrington said. "Any team with he's on with his mind right, is going to the playoffs and is going to make some noise. So it'll be good for Ron and for the Clippers."
Artest told the Indianapolis Star that he wasn't sure what to think of the rumors.
"You hear about them, but you never know what's true," he said. "I'm just waiting to find out which team I'll be playing for."

Artest hasn't appeared in a game since Dec. 6.

"I'm out of shape right now," Artest told the Star. "I've been working out at my gym at home, but it's not the same as playing in an NBA game. It's going to take me about a month after I get traded for me to get back into basketball shape."
In late December, Pacers president Larry Bird went public with comments that he felt “betrayed” and “disappointed” by his All-Star forward, and that Artest had to be traded.

“I think enough is enough,” Bird told the Indianapolis Star. “I think Ronnie will do fine, but not here.”

“I don’t know if this is the right wording, but I felt betrayed,” Bird said. “We’re disappointed. Things happen, maybe it’s a good thing. He’s a very talented player. I always liked working with him and how he went about things on the basketball court. He’s a top-12 player in the league, but we’re in a situation where we have to move on.”

Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh told the Rocky Mountain News that 10 teams were still in the running for Artest and will "narrow it down in the next couple of days."
The Rocky Mountain News also cited a source saying that the Nuggets were among the top three candidates to get Artest, and another is the Minnesota Timberwolves.

OH NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :censored:

scar
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Still needs link......

Sorry, I don't know where my heads at today.

Fixed.

Frank Slade
01-12-2006, 04:12 PM
:confused:

What's this about Artest being traded?
This is news to me..

kerosene
01-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I removed the ads & tags.

This article is mostly a rehash of yesterday/last night's news. At this point I'd take Maggette for Artest. Since Ron couldn't keep his trap shut there's no way the Pacers can get full value for him. If the plan was to rebuild his image and quietly shop him at the deadline if things weren't working out (as reported elsewhere) then TPTB bet on the wrong horse.

indygeezer
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I hate it when people quote huge articles just to pull out one sentence too, old man.

:finger:

Slick Pinkham
01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
next couple of days...

I'm not sure what planet DW is from, but one of his "days" seems to last about 10 Earth days.

Ragnar
01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
As usual MSNBC is a day late and a dollar short.

blanket
01-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Not sure where else to put this other than starting a new thread, so...

Gotta love these quotes from Anthony Johnson on Ron-Ron:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14064626p-14895507c.html

"He's unbelievable, to be politically correct," said Johnson, who played his 1997-98 rookie campaign with the Kings before moving on to Atlanta, Orlando, back to Atlanta, Cleveland and New Jersey before playing the past two seasons with the Pacers. "He's just unbelievable."

Johnson was asked if he thought his teammates still had love for Artest.

"I think a lot of people are being politically correct (about Artest)," Johnson, 31, said. "He's like Halloween every day, just full of surprises."

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Who knows how many days old that quote from DW is.

blanket
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Who knows how many days old that quote from DW is.

I was wondering the same thing. That article seems pretty piecemeal.

scar
01-12-2006, 05:19 PM
I removed the ads & tags.

Umm, no you didn't. I did.

kerosene
01-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Umm, no you didn't. I did.

Then I guess when I clicked Edit Post & stripped it you did it at the same time (the thread had new replies after I hit save). Anyway, I don't think it's all that important who, just that it got done.