PDA

View Full Version : Chicago @Indy Saturday is on WGN

Will Galen
01-12-2006, 04:28 PM
The Pacers schedule on Pacers.com says the Pacers game against Chicago this Saturday is on NBA-TV.

A lot of us miss games when they are on NBA-TV.

My programing guide says it's on Chicago's WGN. I think most cable providers have WGN so that would mean we could see the game anyway.

My question is, is the game on both NBA-TV and WGN? And if so why can't it be on League pass since we pay for it?

I have Comcast and League Pass but don't have NBA-TV.

Ragnar
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM

You are being screwed. On top of that you are probably paying more for your digital cable than Direct TV would cost you and they have NBATV.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/sports/wgncable-bulls-schedule-2005-06,0,1410871.htmlstory?coll=wgncable-sports-1

Cool...I didn't realize it...but I can watch the game on Superstation WGN.

I think it will be on TV then.

indygeezer
01-12-2006, 04:43 PM
So if WGN can carry Bulls games when they are on NBA-TV why can't our local carry the Pacer games that are broadcast on NBA-tv?????????

NaptownBound
01-12-2006, 04:46 PM
The Pacers schedule on Pacers.com says the Pacers game against Chicago this Saturday is on NBA-TV.

A lot of us miss games when they are on NBA-TV.

Why do you miss games when they're on NBA-TV? Are you in Indianapolis or out of town like myself?

My programing guide says it's on Chicago's WGN. I think most cable providers have WGN so that would mean we could see the game anyway.

My question is, is the game on both NBA-TV and WGN? And if so why can't it be on League pass since we pay for it?

They game will be on both NBA-TV and WGN. I have League Pass, and when the Chicago games are on WGN, they're also on LP. I have Comcast as well and NBA-TV. I think you have to purchase the Digital Sports Package in order to get NBA-TV. For me, it came with the Digital Sports Package before I ordered League Pass. You might want to call Comcast and see if NBA-TV should come with LP. If not, then you'll have to get the Digital Sports Package in order to get NBA-TV.

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 04:46 PM
So if WGN can carry Bulls games when they are on NBA-TV why can't our local carry the Pacer games that are broadcast on NBA-tv?????????

The local stations can

indygeezer
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
The local stations can

oh

Will Galen
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Why do you miss games when they're on NBA-TV? Are you in Indianapolis or out of town like myself?

They game will be on both NBA-TV and WGN. I have League Pass, and when the Chicago games are on WGN, they're also on LP. I have Comcast as well and NBA-TV. I think you have to purchase the Digital Sports Package in order to get NBA-TV. For me, it came with the Digital Sports Package before I ordered League Pass. You might want to call Comcast and see if NBA-TV should come with LP. If not, then you'll have to get the Digital Sports Package in order to get NBA-TV.

I'm in Florida. I have to have Digital to get league pass. I've looked into it. I don't get NBA-TV.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
If you are not in Chicagoland, you will not see the game on WGN. Sorry.

If you're in Florida, for example, the Heat or Magic have exclusive "local broadcast" rights. So the Bulls "local" broadcast will be blacked out that night, just like it is blacked out every other time the Bulls are on WGN.

There is an easy, reasonable solution. And we keep telling you all this.

Get the League Pass via DirecTV.

By the way, for those of you unfamiliar with the NBA-TV broadcasts... they use the home team's audio and video feeds, but super-impose NBA-TV graphics over the local broadcast's graphics.

By the way, its especially tricky for me to remember to TiVo the Pacers/ Bulls games on the local channel, since they are considered my "home" team now. So I'm TiVo'ing the game on both channels just to make sure I'll have something to watch.

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
jay, I do beliebve WGN does show some games nationally, although this may not be one since it's on NBATV. But I 've watched a few Bulls games on WGN this season.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2006, 05:32 PM
On WGN directly, or via the League Pass? The Bulls are still on WGN about thirty times a year, so you would get certain WGN games on the LP.

I believe WGN sends out a different signal for a local vs. national broadcast.

As a Chicago resident, I have two different (local and national) WGNs to pick from on my DirecTV. Channel 9, and channel two-forty-whatever like the rest of you get. And one will have the game, while the other has a black screen. Even for me.

Will Galen
01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
On WGN directly, or via the League Pass? The Bulls are still on WGN about thirty times a year, so you would get certain WGN games on the LP.

As a Chicago resident, I have two different (local and national) WGNs to pick from on my DirecTV. Channel 9, and channel two-forty-whatever like the rest of you get. And one will have the game, while the other has a black screen. Even for me.

My program guide says WGNSAT.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, maybe there's a change, but I doubt it.

I can't believe any of the other teams in the league would allow WGN to broadcast Bulls games outside of the Bulls home. That's just bad business, which is why the teams have historically fought this tooth-and-nail. Why else have that exclusive right if you're going to let another team broadcast its games in your area?

WGN is certainly not one of the NBA's national broadcast partners.

sweabs
01-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Jay,

I also get the 30 or so games that WGN decides to telecast. As for NBA-TV aired games, I'm actually thrilled to see when we're on one of those...that means I get it.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, you goofy Canadians aren't very good at protecting intellectual property rights, anyway. Look at your prescription drug program that's pretty much a guarantee that all major pharmaceutical companies will significantly decrease their investments in researching new formulas if they aren't going to be able to recover those costs on the small % of drugs formulas that are successful.

:D

DG-33
01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
The Pacers-Bulls game on Saturday is a nationally televised game via WGN Superstation. If you have cable or satelite and get WGN (you do) then you'll be able to watch the game on it.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2006, 06:11 PM
According to NBA.com, it is only on WGN locally.

http://www.nba.com/schedules/

There are separate columns for "local" and national broadcasts.

DG-33
01-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, maybe there's a change, but I doubt it.

I can't believe any of the other teams in the league would allow WGN to broadcast Bulls games outside of the Bulls home. That's just bad business, which is why the teams have historically fought this tooth-and-nail. Why else have that exclusive right if you're going to let another team broadcast its games in your area?

WGN is certainly not one of the NBA's national broadcast partners.
WGN is a "Superstation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstation) much the way the more popular TBS used to be. If you've got cable, you almost certainly get WGN.
The majority of Bulls games shown on WGN are replaced by something else for non-ChicagoLand WGN viewers, however a few each year are shown nationwide. I just checked the TV Guide, and I assure you the Bulls-Pacers game is a nation-wide game.

Anthem
01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
You're wrong, Jay.

I used to get two Bulls/Pacers games a year in Vegas. I get them here in Cincy too.

gilpdawg
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM

Yep, WGN does do a few games nationally. I saw em on WGN a few weeks ago, on the regular WGN channel on my cable (channel 17), and the same feed was on my League Pass as well. (channels 241-249) Also, am I the only one who HATES the games on NBA-TV with the stupid sound effects and stuff. I like the way they do the stats ticker at the bottom of the screen, but their stupid sounds ruin it.

NorCal_Pacerfan
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
This is great news for me. I can get WGN way out west here. I'll be checkin' out that game! Nice.

Jermaniac
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Will you are being screwed if you are not getting NBA TV along with your league pass. I got comcast too and if you get League Pass you are supposed to get NBA Tv along with it.

larry
01-13-2006, 06:47 AM
err game on wb4 away or fsn @ home. i dont even have digi cable. al's calls r free. im from IN - IN !!!

DG-33
01-13-2006, 07:06 AM
err game on wb4 away or fsn @ home. i dont even have digi cable. al's calls r free. im from IN - IN !!!
It's on Fox Sports Midwest locally, and NBA-TV and WGN nationally.

Anthem
01-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Ehh, Doug was right. I get WGN, and "NBA Basketball - Bulls vs. Pacers" showed up in my EPG, but when I came to watch it all I got was static.

I'm in Cincinnati... close enough to Indy to be blacked out. In Vegas, though, I was fine.

Anybody else get any love?

Hicks
01-15-2006, 12:24 AM
I got to choose between FSNMW and WGN tonight.

Ragnar
01-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Does anyone else HATE NBA TV. The biggest annoyance for me is how they often have that stupid logo pop up DURRING PLAYS!!!!

Anthem
01-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I got to choose between FSNMW and WGN tonight.
So you got the game in Indy, but all I got in Cincy was static?

Hicks
01-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Yup.

Bball
01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
So you got the game in Indy, but all I got in Cincy was static?

Altho I only checked into it a few times, WGN on Directv had the Pacers game. I watched it some there but mostly watched the game on Fox Sports.

-Bball