PDA

View Full Version : "Feel Good" story about JO - Hope you guys don't think I am a big softy.....

MarionDeputy
01-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I attended the Bucks game last night and had some incredible freebie Row 4 seats just off the court. For those that don't know, rows 7 and lower are granted access to a private bar/resturant located in the tunnels where the players run through to the locker room. Right before half time I was heading to the bar for a refill, and we noticed a long line of people were forming around the roped off area where the Pacers run through to the locker room. We stopped and watched them come down the tunnel. Right in front of me was a little boy, couldn't have been more than 6 or 7. He was right up against the ropes. People were high fiving the Pacers as they came through but this kid was so far forward most of the Pacers had already turned the corner heading for the locker room. It wasn't that they were ignoring him, they just couldn't see him. Jermaine was towards the end of the line of Pacers coming through, and he just catches the kids outstreched hand right before he turns the corner. He does like a double take runs over and shakes the kids hand. The kid was absolutely frozen. Jermaine said "Hi" to him and the kids eyes were just locked on Jermaine. Jermaine smiled than hustled off to the locker room, he was gone probably 10 seconds or so and the kids hand is still stuck out like he was still holding Jermaine's hand. Everyone that was around us that witnessed the exchange were laughing so hard. But you could tell from this kid's reaction that this would be one of those life long memories he would never forget. It's nice to see a pro athlete, recognize the "feel-good" role model power they hold, and use it appropriately. I was glad that I was lucky enough to be walking by and witness it.

indyblue47
01-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks MD for the story! After the last 2 years, it's nice to start getting some more "feel-good" stories!

Appreciate you sharing!!:)

Skaut_Ech
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
That's is beyond excellent, MD. It will leave a lasting memeory with him. Reason I say that, is when I was about 9? 10? I was at a Pacer's birthday party and we got to walk down on the floor past the Pacer's bench. George McGinnis leaned down and shook my hand and I thought he had the biggest hands and biggest biceps I'd ever seen. He was my hero then and still is.

That will stay with that kid forever. Lucky him.

Will Galen
01-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks MD!

I AM a big softy, and I don't care who knows it.

Hicks
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
It will definitely stick with him. I had an experience kind of like that around that age. I just with I knew for sure which Pacer it was, though I'm 67% sure it was Mark Jackson.

Jon Theodore
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Damn thats really awesome. I remember I was in Reggie Miller basketball camp so there was actually a lot of time with Reggie and it was great. I looked up to Reggie so much when I was young like that, it was insane really.

That makes me respect Jermaine a lot more after hearing that.

Doug
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I'll add my own JO "feel-good" story. I've been meaning to post it for months.

Last fall JO showed up at a 3rd grade football game in Carmel. I forget exactly who he was there to watch, but they were playing the game before us. There are 4 games going on, with another 4 getting ready to go, so the place is just absolutely full of kids. You can imagine the mod scene around him.

I swear he signed autographs for every single kid out there who wanted one. And seemed happy to do it, even though it had try his patience.

I couldn't help but feel a bit proud of him, like a parent might.

He made a lot of kids' day. And I'm sure there are some who won't remember it for long, or the autograph will be filed away somewhere to be forgotten. But they'll be others that remember it forever. And that's pretty special.

Pacesetter
01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for sharing, that was great!

Lord Helmet
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I attended the Bucks game last night and had some incredible freebie Row 4 seats just off the court. For those that don't know, rows 7 and lower are granted access to a private bar/resturant located in the tunnels where the players run through to the locker room. Right before half time I was heading to the bar for a refill, and we noticed a long line of people were forming around the roped off area where the Pacers run through to the locker room. We stopped and watched them come down the tunnel. Right in front of me was a little boy, couldn't have been more than 6 or 7. He was right up against the ropes. People were high fiving the Pacers as they came through but this kid was so far forward most of the Pacers had already turned the corner heading for the locker room. It wasn't that they were ignoring him, they just couldn't see him. Jermaine was towards the end of the line of Pacers coming through, and he just catches the kids outstreched hand right before he turns the corner. He does like a double take runs over and shakes the kids hand. The kid was absolutely frozen. Jermaine said "Hi" to him and the kids eyes were just locked on Jermaine. Jermaine smiled than hustled off to the locker room, he was gone probably 10 seconds or so and the kids hand is still stuck out like he was still holding Jermaine's hand. Everyone that was around us that witnessed the exchange were laughing so hard. But you could tell from this kid's reaction that this would be one of those life long memories he would never forget. It's nice to see a pro athlete, recognize the "feel-good" role model power they hold, and use it appropriately. I was glad that I was lucky enough to be walking by and witness it.
That's cool.

:cool:

But it doesn't surprise me, Jermaine has always been a classy/nice guy.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-12-2006, 06:44 PM
gotta love JO! he has the best relationship with the fans for his status as a star.