PDA

View Full Version : Let's say we get Maggette

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:06 AM
So what happens if we get Maggette? I'd love for that deal to go down but what happens? Who leaves the starting lineup in Maggette's place. You can't ask Jack to leave when he's been upping his play of late. Not Granger? DH is the logical candidate but that leaves us undersized again.

Fireball Kid
01-12-2006, 01:16 AM
If we do get Maggette, than Jackson will probably be the one out the door.

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 01:18 AM
We throw the season away thats what will happen because apparrently his season is over cause he's most likely getting a surgery according to a report on the radio...

Walsh wants to win now he's not gonna throw away the season and trade for a Injured player.

People around here are just desprate to get something done...

Lbuckingham
01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
We throw the season away thats what will happen because apparrently his season is over cause he's most likely getting a surgery according to a report on the radio...

Walsh wants to win now he's not gonna throw away the season and trade for a Injured player.

I think you may want to change your username to "The Spin Zone"

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Is maggette really that bad though? What better can we get for Ron? I mean, I'm praying we can somehow weasel Wilcox out of them too but...

tadscout
01-12-2006, 01:26 AM

1- They've said there's a chance, NOT most likely he'll need surgery...
2- I've seen a pretty dang good team playing on that court this past week, why is everyone writing them off?
3- Trades are made for the best of the franchise... and a big factor in that is the future...

Dr. Goldfoot
01-12-2006, 01:26 AM
If Maggette were able to suit up, Granger would most likely be the odd man out. The starting five(with good health) Tinsley, Maggette, Jackson, O'neal & Foster/Harrison.

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Granger is not going anywhere.

Swingman
01-12-2006, 01:30 AM

That is the most ridiculous post I've seen. Maggette isn't injured all season and he's an all-star calibur player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2270203

Read this article. Says 4 more weeks (written on December 23rd). That means he will be ready to play in a couple weeks. That's hardly the rest of the season.

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I'd prolly agree with that. I think Danny would come off the bench...even though that disappoints me but even so, that's only temporary. Granger is the future...and if Maggette is out for the season it will be interesting to see what happens next year because to me granger can be an all-star very soon if he keeps it up. I mean, the guy does so much so well. He is my favorite pacer to watch. (Sorry J.O.)

GetOdom
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
That is the most ridiculous post I've seen. Maggette isn't injured all season and he's an all-star calibur player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=2270203

Read this article. Says 4 more weeks (written on December 23rd). That means he will be ready to play in a couple weeks. That's hardly the rest of the season.

That was a few weeks ago... but things have changed and his Injury has gotten worse and he might and probably will get a surgery.

If we're trying to get a Injured player then we could've had NeNe by now.

Fireball Kid
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
If Maggette comes back from injury, I would think he would come off the bench first.

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Granger is not going anywhere.

The only reason why I might disagree with that is Rick's tendancy not to play rooks. Remember Prince's rookie year?

tadscout
01-12-2006, 01:33 AM
That was a few weeks ago... but things have changed and his Injury has gotten worse and he might and probably will get a surgery.

You just can not think past this season can you???

Lbuckingham
01-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Coach Mike Dunleavy told the Orange County Register that Corey Maggette (foot) has not responded well to treatment and he might be sidelined another month.
(Updated 01/11/2006).

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:38 AM
so what if he is out the season? it'll give danny a chance to cement his starting spot and become real consistent. Then we can start out the season fresh with Corey part of the playbook...

GetOdom
You just can not think past this season can you???

No our goal is to win the championship and I'm gonna stick to that.

We could've had Nene if we just wasted 4 weeks of nothing just to trade for a Injured player.

tadscout
If Maggette comes back from injury, I would think he would come off the bench first.

He would be no question our 2nd best player... maybe he'll come off the bench for 1-2 games to get in shape and get used to the new system... but no way after that!!! Jackson grabs the pine then... you can't have three guys demanding the ball at the same time...

tadscout
01-12-2006, 01:40 AM

We could've had Nene if we just wasteds 4 weeks of nothing just to trade for a Injured player.

:stupid:

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:41 AM

We could've had Nene if we just wasted 4 weeks of nothing just to trade for a Injured player.

True...but Maggette is better than Nene. Also, we need scoring and SG help a lot...notice how the team seems to be successful only when Jack is consistent in scoring. Imagine a scorer who consistently pours in 20 points. When his shot isn't falling he goes to the line and actually MAKES his FTs.

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:42 AM
He would be no question our 2nd best player... maybe he'll come off the bench for 1-2 games to get in shape and get used to the new system... but no way after that!!! Jackson grabs the pine then... you can't have three guys demanding the ball at the same time...

I agree, and you have J.O. inside, Corey outside, and Danny being Danny...I think the franchise would basically be saved by this trade...

tadscout
01-12-2006, 01:44 AM

And a very high chance of not resigning Nene... and Nene would do absolute 0 for your winning a championship this year goal...<o:p></o:p>

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:47 AM
And a very high chance of not resigning Nene...

Yeah...is anyone else also VERY excited about the fact that Maggette's contract is thru 2008?

Swingman
01-12-2006, 01:52 AM
I really like Maggette if his injury isn't recurring. I don't care if we have to wait til March 1st to get him on the court. However, if his injury is something that will keep haunting him then I don't want the trade.

FreshPrince22
01-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Granger is the man out. Might as well trade that scrub to the Pistons for a 2nd rounder or something. :whistle:

Swingman
01-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Granger is the man out. Might as well trade that scrub to the Pistons for a 2nd rounder or something.

Haha. At first I thought you were serious until I saw that you were a pistons fan.

Granger doesn't seem to have an ego so I'm sure he'd be fine as the 6th man if that's how things worked out. I think he has enough talent though to be in the starting lineup in the next year or two.

Fireball Kid
01-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Granger is the man out. Might as well trade that scrub to the Pistons for a 2nd rounder or something. :whistle:

Will give you Eddie Gill instead.:D

dagrubbs
01-12-2006, 03:00 AM
has anybody thought that maybe...just maybe maggettes foot isnt as bad as they are leading on because a trade is in the works. Why would they put maggette back in the lineup if hes in the middle of a "serious" trade discussion...i doubt that my theory is true it probably is worse than originally thought but u never know

Will Galen
01-12-2006, 03:47 AM
I wrote elsewhere I though Mags would come off the bench.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18048

Heres some of what I wrote.

The problem I see with adding Maggette is who starts? I want Dan to continue to start at SF, and Jax is doing ok as second option. However, for this year I see no problem with Maggette coming off the bench. Right now Mags will be out another 6 weeks. That puts him coming back just before the trade deadline on Feb. 23ed. That doesn't mean I advocate trading Jax at that time. On the contrary I would want to finish out the year with the team as is with Mags included.

After the trade deadline there is 32 games left. It would take Mags several weeks to get back into playing shape, and then with just a few games to go I don't think there would be a shooting guard controversy. So we could go into the playoffs playing well, maybe better than ever.

Basically the loss of Ron is blunted by having Dan as a defender, and Mags as a high quality scorer. We wouldn't be complete from the loss of Ron but we could actually be as good and maybe even better.

Since I think we can compete this year, all the foregoing makes me for the Mags trade.

rela
01-12-2006, 05:36 AM
hope we get maggz and wilcox well maybe maggz is injured 4 weeks from now keep starting danny and then shift sjax to the bench and look for a trade of tinsley/jackz/harrison for a star point guard lets say bibby if sactown is struggeling more and more.
would leave us with : bibby/maggette/granger/jo/wilcox this is the kind of rebuilding i`m praying for this team can get us the championschip

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Pacers should not and better not let Corey's ciurrent injury situation persuade them from making this trade. Even if they think he's out for the season, if Corey is the guy they want they should make the deal regardless.

Of course if the Pacers think the injury is a carer type thing that will never really heal, then of course you don't make this trade.

But whether Corey is out another week month or 6 months should not even enter the Pacers decision making process

Don't forget that Fred is a free agent this summer and perhaps likely is not coming back

PacerMan
01-12-2006, 08:41 AM
So what happens if we get Maggette? I'd love for that deal to go down but what happens? Who leaves the starting lineup in Maggette's place. You can't ask Jack to leave when he's been upping his play of late. Not Granger? DH is the logical candidate but that leaves us undersized again.

Jax sits. Sure he's been great of late. but 1/2 of being good is getting the opportunity. He's getting the shots...................
If he weren't here, someone ELSE would be getting the shots and averaging 20. Nature of the game.
Remember last year??????????

PacerMan
01-12-2006, 08:44 AM
The only reason why I might disagree with that is Rick's tendancy not to play rooks. Remember Prince's rookie year?

Why do so many of you insist on thinking that human beings are strictly static individuals? Like he can't change???????? Grow into thinking a bit differently???
God, I hope you don't get pigeonholed liked many do Rick here!

Raskolnikov
01-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Since I've never seen him play, can someone describe Corey Maggette for me, please? What are his strengths, his weaknesses? Does he have quirky food habits/preferences?

PacerMan
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM

granger and tins for darko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Since I've never seen him play, can someone describe Corey Maggette for me, please? What are his strengths, his weaknesses? Does he have quirky food habits/preferences?

I'll do my best, but I'm not an expert on him, so I hope others jump in too. He is a slasher, meaning he drives to the basket and is very good at doing that and drawing fouls where he shoots about 85%. He shoots a lot of free throws and he makes most of them. He's very athletic, runs the court extremely well, and is very aggessive. He is a high flyer and is fearless on his drives.

The name Jerry Stackhoue keeps coming to mind. Stackhouse of maybe 3 or 4 years ago. That might not be the best comparison, but it keeps coming to mind.

Maggette is also an excellent isolation player, he has an extremely quick first step and usually can beat his man. He is a guy who you can occasionally just give the ball too and ask him to create something

He is turnover prone, but considering his game it is normal.

Defense: I've seen him play excellent defense. In fact when I watch the Clippers broadcoast I hear their announcers say how their perimeter defense is suffering because Corey is out. I think he is a good defender, who can be excellent. I don't foresee a problem there at all. He's not Artest, but he's as good as Fred or Jax defensively.

No I get into more speculation: Attitude, I think it's OK, but he's never played an NBA playoff game, so who knows what he's like under pressure. I've never heard him to be a problem guy, but I could be wrong.

Injuries: Yes he's had his share of injuries that have limited number of games played, but also he's been injured and still played. So I do consider him injury prone. If he weren't I doubt the clippers would be trading him.

He has the talent to be a allstar in the right situation.

I'll be interested to read Kstat's comments about him, he usually has a good read on players

MagicRat
01-12-2006, 09:25 AM

Uh, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I guess you haven't seen the latest print ads in the Indy Star.

"United. One Goal." has been replaced with "Depth and Determination."

Sorry......

kept
01-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I'll do my best, but I'm not an expert on him, so I hope others jump in too. He is a slasher, meaning he drives to the basket and is very good at doing that and drawing fouls where he shoots about 85%. He shoots a lot of free throws and he makes most of them. He's very athletic, runs the court extremely well, and is very aggessive. He is a high flyer and is fearless on his drives.

The name Jerry Stackhoue keeps coming to mind. Stackhouse of maybe 3 or 4 years ago. That might not be the best comparison, but it keeps coming to mind.

Maggette is also an excellent isolation player, he has an extremely quick first step and usually can beat his man. He is a guy who you can occasionally just give the ball too and ask him to create something

He is turnover prone, but considering his game it is normal.

Defense: I've seen him play excellent defense. In fact when I watch the Clippers broadcoast I hear their announcers say how their perimeter defense is suffering because Corey is out. I think he is a good defender, who can be excellent. I don't foresee a problem there at all. He's not Artest, but he's as good as Fred or Jax defensively.

No I get into more speculation: Attitude, I think it's OK, but he's never played an NBA playoff game, so who knows what he's like under pressure. I've never heard him to be a problem guy, but I could be wrong.

Injuries: Yes he's had his share of injuries that have limited number of games played, but also he's been injured and still played. So I do consider him injury prone. If he weren't I doubt the clippers would be trading him.

He has the talent to be a allstar in the right situation.

I'll be interested to read Kstat's comments about him, he usually has a good read on players

You're close. Maggette is a me-first player, that doesn't play defense often. If he was a two-way player like you said he was the Clippers wouldn't be in the lottery so many years in a row now would they? Part of their immediate success this year was without Maggette hogging the ball and Cuttino and the role players (Livingston and Cassell) playing solid perimeter defense, which allowed Brand to dominate the post without as much dribble penetration.

I found it odd, Bird ripped Artest for selfishness, a reason to trade him, then trades for Maggette.

It's a great deal for the Clippers, it makes them immediately a lot better. Can't say the same for the Pacers, as it's a huge step back from this year, but I guess it's addition by subtraction anyway.

Jermaniac
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM

People around here are just desprate to get something done...This guy is 50 times more annoying then IndyToad and NaptownSeth put together.

Kstat
01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Here's my take on Maggette.

1. Best player in the NBA after Kobe and Iverson in drawing fouls at the rim, Very quick, a lot of upper-body strength. He gets to the line very often, and shoots around %90. Extremely quick for a guy his size.

2. Runs the floor as well as any wingman in the league not named LeBron James. Hit him on the break and you'll get points 9 out of 10 times.

3. His most underrated attribute? Rebounding. Among Small forwards, he's 5th in the NBA in that category. Excellent rebounder at his size.

4. Mediocre shooter. 3 out of 4 games, his range isnt going to extend past 15 feet. Good thing is he's smart enough to know that.

5. So-so defender. He can defend against big swingmen no problem, but against smaller, quicker players, he has a lot of problems. Draws a lot of fouls himself, and often looks disinterested on that end, especially when he gets in foul trouble.

6. The downside? The amount of contact he draws every game seems to be wearing down his body. He's played fewer than 70 games in all but one season since his rookie year, and he might not reach 60 games this year (he's missed 19 already). Injuries are a concern with him.

7. His wild drives to the basket can also result in errant passes and offensive fouls. He's 15th in the NBA right now in turnovers (just over 3 a game). He's also 267th in the NBA in assist/turnover ratio, ironically one spot behind Ron Artest.

beast23
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
You're close. Maggette is a me-first player, that doesn't play defense often. If he was a two-way player like you said he was the Clippers wouldn't be in the lottery so many years in a row now would they? Part of their immediate success this year was without Maggette hogging the ball and Cuttino and the role players (Livingston and Cassell) playing solid perimeter defense, which allowed Brand to dominate the post without as much dribble penetration.

I found it odd, Bird ripped Artest for selfishness, a reason to trade him, then trades for Maggette.

It's a great deal for the Clippers, it makes them immediately a lot better. Can't say the same for the Pacers, as it's a huge step back from this year, but I guess it's addition by subtraction anyway.

I think the beauty of having a rookie playing as well as Granger is that it can force veteran players to "play the right way".

Once he comes off of his injury, Maggette will not start for the Pacers. Calisle tends to "test" the ability of his players to return by building up their minutes over a few games. Maggette will be no different in that regard.

Not being able to play immediately due to his injury, it also will provide Maggette the time to mesh his personality with that of other team members as well as "learn the culture" of what the team is about and how it plays.

Once healthy, if Maggette proves to be a me-first player, I think that he will have a hard time cracking the starting lineup over Granger. In other words, he'll have to "play the right way", or he will most likely find himself coming off the bench.

I'm very excited about the possible acquisition of Maggette. In playing the opposition, I've always noticed him and respect him as an opposing player that "can hurt us" in a variety of ways on the court.

I believe that it is imperative that the Pacers re-sign Freddie Jones this summer. Freddie is showing very good consistency with both his perimeter and mid-range shots, and when he's hitting his outside shots, I've yet to see a player that is capable of preventing him from driving to the rim.

Really good slashers are hard to come by. That's why Maggette is important to us and it's why I think it is important to keep Freddie this summer.

One thing is for certain. With the continued development of Granger, Harrison and Jones and the acquisition of Maggette, the Pacers are going to have some exceptional players coming off the bench, regardless of who eventually starts.

If we cannot provide enough minutes to keep all players happy, then we will have quality players to do a 2-for-1 trade later in the summer.