PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson's future at Indiana

Swingman
01-12-2006, 12:59 AM
If we do indeed get Corey Maggette in a trade then where does Jackson fit in the future?

I believe Jackson has 4 more years on his contract after this season.

If Maggette stays healthy and Granger continues to improve, then I would think they would get our starting 2 and 3 spots in the future (lets say 2 years down the road).

Given Maggette is an offensive weapon, he'll probably move ahead of Jackson on the list of go to guys. Will Jackson be happy going back to the third option? I wouldn't be suprised to see him as the next to leave town.

microwave_oven
01-12-2006, 01:08 AM
If this trade does indead go down, then I believe that Jax will either be a great 6th man, or moved by the deadline. Sadly, with his personality, I see the latter as the most likely.

tadscout
01-12-2006, 01:09 AM
If we do indeed get Corey Maggette in a trade then where does Jackson fit in the future?

If Maggette stays healthy and Granger continues to improve, then I would think they would get our starting 2 and 3 spots in the future (lets say 2 years down the road).

Given Maggette is an offensive weapon, he'll probably move ahead of Jackson on the list of go to guys. Will Jackson be happy going back to the third option? I wouldn't be suprised to see him as the next to leave town.

:wave: Jackson (but most likely not till off-season)...

SoupIsGood
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM

We wouldn't have to deal with that for a while, since Maggette is hurt.

I think we move Jax once Mags is ready.

Swingman
01-12-2006, 01:13 AM
I think we'd definitely wait til the offseason to decide what to do with Jackson. A lot depends on how fast Maggette heals and if he is over his injury and if Granger is ready to start.

I think if Maggette comes back and takes over the scoring behind O'neal then Jackson will be wanting a trade. Wasn't he a bit upset earlier in the year about being the 3rd option or was it only Artest that was mad about not shooting enough?

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Why trade Jack? He's great to have around. Remember why he was brought in originally? Just as a sixth man. He can fill in seamlessly for Maggette (if we do get him) or Granger if they are ever injured. And in the fourth quarter if the Pacers want to up scoring or something then they could go small with J.O. at center.

Swingman
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
He was fine as 6th man behind Miller but his comments don't seem to be saying "6th man is still ok with me." If he was happy with being 6th man again and didn't let it affect his play, then I'd be happy to be able to keep him but I don't think that will happen.

PaceBalls
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Sjax is with us for the long haul guys, especially if we get Maggette who is still injured, and injury prone. The pacers aren't gonna trade away their leading scorer with that uncertainty. But Maggette would really round out the team at the 2/3 position.
I like this deal if Maggette can be healthy in a month or so and we keep SJax.
I doubt he will be even half as good as Artest, but at this point, it's probably the best the team can do.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 01:36 AM
If we get Maggette.......SJax is gone by the start of the 2006 Regular season....hopefully with enough salary relief / expiring contracts to resign Freddie.

I do not deny that SJax is a streaky and inconsistent scorer that is either on fire against lesser defensive teams or couldn't hit the side of a barn against defensive minded teams...but he has 2 factors going against him.....his knuckleheadedness and his likely reluctance to play the 6th man role ( if we get an offensive minded player in exchange for Artest ) on the team.

And for those that say that he's a team player and will do it for the team.....when I see him play the 6th man role and isn't complaining about it....I will believe it.

rexnom
01-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Sjax is with us for the long haul guys, especially if we get Maggette who is still injured, and injury prone. The pacers aren't gonna trade away their leading scorer with that uncertainty. But Maggette would really round out the team at the 2/3 position.
I like this deal if Maggette can be healthy in a month or so and we keep SJax.
I doubt he will be even half as good as Artest, but at this point, it's probably the best the team can do.

I think so too. Jack is insurance...pretty good insurance. Remember Bobby Jackson during those major Kings teams with the injury prone Kings backcourt? He ended up starting like half his games because Bibby and Christie were out so much.

dannyboy
01-12-2006, 01:55 AM
I think if Maggette comes back and takes over the scoring behind O'neal then Jackson will be wanting a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060111

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3210.jpg

Five questions with Pacers swingman Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3210):

Q: What are reasonable expectations for this team now without Ron Artest (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3339)?
A: Obviously this kind of looks like what we're going to have for the rest of the year, but this is not the first time this team has been short-handed. We've just got to keep being professional about the situation and try to win games more as a team now. I'm not really putting pressure on myself. I'm just trying to stay within the team concept and do what coach asks me to do.

Q: You've probably been more publicly sympathetic to Artest than any other Pacer. How worried are you that there might be some backlash against you from fans -- or even people in the organization -- who are tired of Artest and want him gone?
A: There might be [a backlash]. I think the same amount of people that are after him are after me. But I have no problem with it. That can't affect me physically. I really don't worry about what people say. I know a lot of people have labeled me as a thug or a bad guy, but I don't really care. My momma raised me and she knows me better than anyone. That's what's important to me -- what she thinks.

Q: You've also been the one Pacer who originally seemed open to letting him come back. How could that work after everything that's happened?
A: I think deep down inside, a lot of people around this organization feel like that. When you lose a guy like Ron Artest, one of the best players on both ends of the court in this league, I think a lot of people would want him back deep down. But I think a lot of people don't want to say it because he's stabbed so many people in the back.

Q: So you understand why Pacers management has taken the stance that it has to trade him now?
A: Of course. A lot of people are upset, because a lot of teams won't give second chances [like the Pacers did with Artest]. A lot of teams won't do that. A lot of teams won't let a player be in a position like that where they're actually hurting the team, hurting the organization and giving the organization a bad name and then you turn your back and say something like that.

Q: The first time you talked to Ron after he went public with his trade demand, what was the conversation like?
A: I told him that if they allowed him back, I'd be happy to have him. Ron is my guy. We came up kind of the same way, so I can relate to him. I respect another man when he speaks his mind. And I'll never turn my back on anybody I play with. But I'm kind of hurt like everybody else because I almost lost my job for him last year, and I love my job. I would never asked to be traded. I love what I do.

Swingman
01-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but do you think Jackson would publicly state it if he did want to be traded? Not publicly like Artest. Jackson is smart enough to keep things in house.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 02:02 AM
When it comes to words coming out of SJax mouth....I am more inclined to believe his actions instead of what he says. When SJax is coming off the bench ( if we get an offensive minded player for Artest ) and is not complaining about it....then I will gladly say that I am wrong. Until then....I will only believe that he will be one of the best 6th men that can come off of our bench.....he has to prove it to me.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but do you think Jackson would publicly state it if he did want to be traded? Not publicly like Artest. Jackson is smart enough to keep things in house.
Didn't he mouth off to the press during the Celtic's playoff game last year?

denyfizle
01-12-2006, 02:04 AM
If this trade does indead go down, then I believe that Jax will either be a great 6th man, or moved by the deadline. Sadly, with his personality, I see the latter as the most likely.

sadly? im taking PD to Cici's when that happens!

Swingman
01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Didn't he mouth off to the press during the Celtic's playoff game last year?

I don't know. Don't read all the post game quotes.

Jackson is a good with the media most of the time.

dannyboy
01-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I think his willingness to do what is best for the team, whether he agrees with it or not, is being underestimated. (Of course I could just as easily be wrong)

rela
01-12-2006, 05:38 AM
well if we get maggz bibby is the man to target at the offseason in my eyes tinsley/jackson + harrison or first could do it and we are right back where we should be now if nothing happend with artest

DG-33
01-12-2006, 06:24 AM
well if we get maggz bibby is the man to target at the offseason in my eyes tinsley/jackson + harrison or first could do it and we are right back where we should be now if nothing happend with artest
Mike Bibby's an above average player with a superstar contract. No thank you. As for Jackson, I'd have no problem if he started or came off the bench.

PG
Jamaal 30
Saras 18

SG
Corey 35
Fred 13

SF
Stephen 35
Danny 13

PF
Jermaine 29
Austin 16

C
Jeff 25
David 15
Jermaine 8

The Pacers just have too many good players and not enough minutes to satisfy them. The injuries have actually made Ricks job easier, he doesnt have to worry so much about getting guys minutes. What I could see happening, since with Bender, Reggie and Croshere coming off the books soon we'll have plenty of salary relief, is Pollard (nice expiring) and Stephon Jackson and possibly David Harrison packaged for an upgrade at the starting center position.

Noew rotation....

PG
Jamaal 30
Saras 18

SG
Corey 20
Fred 28

SF
Danny 33
Corey 15

PF
Jermaine 37
Austin 11

C
BIG MAN Upgrade 33
Jeff 15

sixthman
01-12-2006, 06:55 AM

rela, darn it. We are starting to develop David Harrison, a big we so badly need, and you want to unload his butt and two other good players for a slight point guard upgrade. Rethink, please!

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I don't know what to do with Jax. But if we assume Granger and Corey will play the 2 and 3, then the Pacers need a point guard who is a very good shooter. Corey is a slasher, and not that consistant of a shooter.

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Even off the bench Jax would get about 30 minutes per game at least. Fred Jones is the one we should be worried about. Can you say sign and trade?...

Black Sox
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Jax and Corey both can play the 2 or 3 which is always a plus so I don't think Jax will be going anywhere. They both can post up and shoot the three. Arguing with the refs doesn't mean you aren't a team player. Lets remember this a guy who helped big time getting the Spurs one of their championships. And any of us who ever played the game at a competitive level understands that we all argue with the refs. Its a way to get the refs to watch you more closely the next time. Jax just needs to learn that he doesnt need to do it so much. And as of right now Granger will not start of Jax. Granger still has a long way to go, especially since he doesn't know the plays. If tinsley ever gets healthy and I stress ever then this team will put tough to beat with Corey at the 2 or 3 if he ever gets healthy.

dannyboy
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't know what to do with Jax. But if we assume Granger and Corey will play the 2 and 3, then the Pacers need a point guard who is a very good shooter. Corey is a slasher, and not that consistant of a shooter.

What about the one they signed before this season?

Jermaniac
01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Jack plays the 2, Corey plays the 3. And thats how it will be.

Anthem
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Jack plays the 2, Corey plays the 3. And thats how it will be.
But what if we want Granger at the three?

CableKC
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't know. Don't read all the post game quotes.

Jackson is a good with the media most of the time.
Someone can back me up on this.....this wasn't during an official Press Conference after one of the Celtic's Playoff games last season....I recall that he was p*ssed off at something during the game and he said something to the Press in the locker-room.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
If SJax is still with the Pacers at the beginning of the 2006 season....then Granger is gonna backup whoever plays the SF spot. Carlisle ( assuming that he is still the Pacers coach ) is gonna do what he always does....go with players that he is comfortable with.....assuming that no changes are made to the roster....that is Tinsley/SJax/Maggette/JONeal/Foster.

Jim R
01-12-2006, 01:53 PM

I think this comes down to player types. Both Artest and Jackson are catch and hold type scorers. That's not good to play together, especially with a coach who did a nice job of getting a guy like Reggie Miller shots off screens.

Jackson as a SF is a much better fit than as a SG. The definitely is the case defensively, and he is still showing the ability to get those post looks that Artest used to get out of their Flex looks.

I don't see Jackson being moved by the deadline this year. Granger goes to the bench when Maggette gets healthy (if this trade goes down). The Pacers plan to move on and compete this year, and Granger is still not ready for primetime yet.

Eventually, Granger challenges Jackson for a starting spot, and yes, Jackson would be a nice player off the bench. He could head up the second unit and sub in at either wing spot. Granger needs to just be a SF at this stage. He would cut his learning curve in half offensively and be in more favorable match-ups defensively.

diamonddave00
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
We know that IF Cory Maggette is acquired he will not be healthy till the deadline has passed. If he comes here , I'm expecting Maggette to be brought off the bench , 1. to learn the system , 2. he will play limited minutes because of a conditioning problem.

Maggette and Jones will be the second unit offensive focus with Jasikevicus being the point guard.

Remember Fred Jones is up for a new contract this summer. Also remember Fred is actually OLDER than Maggette and LESS than a year younger than Jackson. So being 27, soon Fred will be looking for big money this summer ,and its a weak year for free agents.

The way money was thrown around last summer the better Fred plays here the rest of the season the higher his market value. Will Donnie Walsh , be willing to give an undersized shooting guard big money?

In Stephen Jackson's case he'll make 6 mil next season , he is a player capable of playing either of 2 positions sf and sg fulltime. Fred is pretty much a shooting guard (undersized at that) period. The way Walsh and Carlisle like versitile players it would seem if Fred get an offer of say 4-5 mil a year around mid level exemption from another team do you resign him, knowing if healthy a younger Maggette and Granger will see major minutes and a similar aged Jackson is more versitile?

Maggette's health history may make keeping Jackson the wise choice if Stephen is okay with being a 3rd option here. There are enough minutes for 3 of the four (Jackson, Granger, Maggette, and Jones if Corey is acquired) but not for 4. If Jackson is okay with sharing scoring opportunities I'd keep him over Freddy, because he's a better fit at 2 spots.

CableKC
01-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Jackson is okay with sharing scoring opportunities I'd keep him over Freddy, because he's a better fit at 2 spots.
The question is....do you think he will be happy?

I am in the camp that hopes he will tow the line and do what is asked of him....but I also believes that he won't be happy as a 6th Man....hence the dilemma.

SoupIsGood
01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Why is everyone wanting to replace Fred as our 6th man? I would never want Jax eating up Fred's minutes. If we took Jax over Fred once corey came here, I would die.

Fireball Kid
01-12-2006, 07:17 PM
If SJax is still with the Pacers at the beginning of the 2006 season....then Granger is gonna backup whoever plays the SF spot. Carlisle ( assuming that he is still the Pacers coach ) is gonna do what he always does....go with players that he is comfortable with.....assuming that no changes are made to the roster....that is Tinsley/SJax/Maggette/JONeal/Foster.

Tinsley, Jackson, Maggette and Oneal need the ball to be effective. No way will we see both Jackson and Maggette in the line-up at the same time because that is too many scorers.

PacerMan
01-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Why is everyone wanting to replace Fred as our 6th man? I would never want Jax eating up Fred's minutes. If we took Jax over Fred once corey came here, I would die.

I've been saying for 2 years that Fred is going to end up a better player than Jax. Not changing that now.

BlueNGold
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I've been saying for 2 years that Fred is going to end up a better player than Jax. Not changing that now.

I think if we pickup Maggette, Jax's value to the team decreases and Fred's value stays about the same. This is primarily because Fred is our best option for defending quick, small guards. ...so unless we move several pieces, Fred is more valuable to the Pacers after this trade.

....and I think they are close to the same level skill-wise...but I would give the edge to Jax. I am pretty sure Jax can avg. 20ppg on this team, but I am not sure Fred can do that...particularly since defenses likely prepare for Jax more since he is a starter. ...but if Fred continues playing the way he has for the last couple weeks, that will change my mind.

The questions are: Can he remain healthy? Is this a temporary bump in his productivity or permanent...and can he raise it further and take on more responsibility?