PDA

View Full Version : non-Artest chat...US World Championship/Olympic Squad speculation

jcouts
01-11-2006, 07:07 PM
What made Dream Team 1992 such an amazing team? AND how can we re-create that with today's players?

Barkley
Jordan
Malone
Mullin
Drexler
Ewing
Pippen
Robinson
Bird
Johnson
Stockton
*Laettner

1. Every single player on the roster was a bona-fide threat on the offensive end. If you made one mistake in guarding a single player on the roster, there was a 90% chance you were getting scored on. There was no Ben Wallace, Antonio Davis, Jay Williams, Raef LaFrentz, Vin Baker or Antonio McDyess on this team. There was no player that the other team could "force the ball to".

2. Only one player on the roster under 6-6, 200 lbs.
3. All big men on the roster could run the floor very well. This is why Jermaine should not be on the upcoming teams, and also why Duncan stunk in 04.
4. All players on the 1992 roster were the types of players who "made shots when they should make them". Yes, they made very many shots that they probably shouldn't have made as well, but they did not miss layups, they did not miss open 18 footers, and if Chris Mullin was open, he generally did not miss from behind the arc.
5. Five players on the 1992 roster had been on the All Defensive team the year prior. Seven players on the roster were All Defensive teamers at one point in their career or another. Contrast this to Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Vin Baker, Steve Smith, Tim Hardaway and many others on our squads since 2000 who were notoriously "un-defensive"... The defenders on the 1992 squad were great defenders, not just "passing lane defenders" who ended up with a high number of steals, such as Larry Hughes last year.

6. Interior muscle, toughness and intimidation: who in the world was going to push Barkley or Malone around without getting an elbow to the ribs?

7. Excellent perimeter defenders of PG, SG and SF in Pippen and Jordan.
8. Center who could defend back to the basket type centers: Ewing
9. Center who could defend face-up type centers: Robinson
10. Help side shot blocker for motion offenses: Robinson
11. Scorers: any player on the team could score 20+ against the best defender in the world on any given night, if they wanted to. This again is why Ben Wallace is not a good Olympic choice.

12. Players who were used to playing with one another: Stockton/Malone, Jordan/Pippen.

The list goes on and on.

With that being said, and taking into account that it's virtually a given that Shaq and Duncan will not be playing, who are your 12 players to represent Team USA for the upcoming years?

I will post mine shortly.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
What made Dream Team 1992 such an amazing team? AND how can we re-create that with today's players?

Barkley
Jordan
Malone
Mullin
Drexler
Ewing
Pippen
Robinson
Bird
Johnson
Stockton
*Laettner

1. Every single player on the roster was a bona-fide threat on the offensive end. If you made one mistake in guarding a single player on the roster, there was a 90% chance you were getting scored on. There was no Ben Wallace, Antonio Davis, Jay Williams, Raef LaFrentz, Vin Baker or Antonio McDyess on this team. There was no player that the other team could "force the ball to".

2. Only one player on the roster under 6-6, 200 lbs.
3. All big men on the roster could run the floor very well. This is why Jermaine should not be on the upcoming teams, and also why Duncan stunk in 04.
4. All players on the 1992 roster were the types of players who "made shots when they should make them". Yes, they made very many shots that they probably shouldn't have made as well, but they did not miss layups, they did not miss open 18 footers, and if Chris Mullin was open, he generally did not miss from behind the arc.
5. Five players on the 1992 roster had been on the All Defensive team the year prior. Seven players on the roster were All Defensive teamers at one point in their career or another. Contrast this to Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Vin Baker, Steve Smith, Tim Hardaway and many others on our squads since 2000 who were notoriously "un-defensive"... The defenders on the 1992 squad were great defenders, not just "passing lane defenders" who ended up with a high number of steals, such as Larry Hughes last year.

6. Interior muscle, toughness and intimidation: who in the world was going to push Barkley or Malone around without getting an elbow to the ribs?

7. Excellent perimeter defenders of PG, SG and SF in Pippen and Jordan.
8. Center who could defend back to the basket type centers: Ewing
9. Center who could defend face-up type centers: Robinson
10. Help side shot blocker for motion offenses: Robinson
11. Scorers: any player on the team could score 20+ against the best defender in the world on any given night, if they wanted to. This again is why Ben Wallace is not a good Olympic choice.

12. Players who were used to playing with one another: Stockton/Malone, Jordan/Pippen.

The list goes on and on.

With that being said, and taking into account that it's virtually a given that Shaq and Duncan will not be playing, who are your 12 players to represent Team USA for the upcoming years?

I will post mine shortly.

A: What made the dream team great is that it had the greatest collection of talent every assembled on any team in any sport ever, and it was all talent that was aged enough to know how to play within the team concept.

B: For that reason, re-creating it today would be nearly impossible. The superstars today are for the most part too young to learn how to play that way as a whole.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Now, my list given the criteria would be (assuming Kobe is the only "given"):

C: Amare (2nd choice: Brad Miller)
PF: K.G. (2nd choice: Rasheed Wallace)
SF: Lebron (2nd choice: Vince Carter)
SG: Kobe
PG: Billups (2nd choice: Sam Cassell)

Bench:

J.O. (2nd choice: Bosh)
Iverson (2nd choice: Chris Paul)
Wade (2nd choice: Jason Richardson)
Brand (2nd choice: Dwight Howard)
Hamilton (2nd choice: Ray Allen)
Redd (2nd choice: Rashard Lewis)
Bibby (2nd choice: Baron Davis)

If possible, I'd send Reggie Miller an invitation.

jcouts
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
It is highly difficult to re-create that sort of team based on talent. But, you can identify a clear cut trend if you compare players amongst the Dream Teams through the years. The 1996 team had a team of highly similar players to the 1992 team. In fact, you could nearly place them side by side and say, "Player X on the 1996 team" filled in the role of "Player Y on the 1992 team" almost exactly. But, if you try to do that with the 2000 team and 2004 team, they don't line up at all. 2000 in Sydney was when the struggle began. I wonder if this year's committee will look to develop the roster similarly to those of 1992 and 1996.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 07:37 PM
It is highly difficult to re-create that sort of team based on talent. But, you can identify a clear cut trend if you compare players amongst the Dream Teams through the years. The 1996 team had a team of highly similar players to the 1992 team. In fact, you could nearly place them side by side and say, "Player X on the 1996 team" filled in the role of "Player Y on the 1992 team" almost exactly. But, if you try to do that with the 2000 team and 2004 team, they don't line up at all. 2000 in Sydney was when the struggle began. I wonder if this year's committee will look to develop the roster similarly to those of 1992 and 1996.

No, you can't

C: Ewing, Robinson (two hall-of famers, and that was arguably the weakest position)
PF: Malone (best player of all time at his position)
SF: Pippen (most versatile player of all time at his position), Bird (Best player of all time at his position).
SG: Jordan (best player of all time at his position)
PG: Magic (Best player of all time at his position) Stockton (NBA all-time assists and steals leader)

You could put the best 5 players in the world on the new team, and they still wouldnt be as good as that original one. Nobody playing today is as good as Jordan, magic, or Bird were.

The only true legends playing in the NBA right now are Shaq and Duncan (you could make an argument for Kobe). That doesn't even come close to matching the start power of dream team I.

Jon Theodore
01-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Billups, Nash
Arenas, Wade, Freddy "Michael Jordan" Jones
Marion, Artest (he would do it and play harder than anyone)
Garnett, Duncan, Amare
Shaq

Jaydawg2270
01-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Shaq, Wallace
Garrnett, Amare
Lebron,Carter
Iverson,Billups,Wade

Kstat
01-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Billups, Nash
Arenas, Wade, Freddy "Michael Jordan" Jones
Marion, Artest (he would do it and play harder than anyone)
Garnett, Duncan, Amare
Shaq

1. Nash isn't American.

2. Duncan has already said he won't go.

3. Kobe is on the team already.

Jaydawg2270
01-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Well if kobe's on the team theres no chance that shaq will be on it

Kstat
01-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Well if kobe's on the team theres no chance that shaq will be on it

I don't think so either, but Shaq hasn't made any official word.

The only two things we know FOR SURE are:

1. Kobe will be on the team

2. Duncan won't.

Other than that those two things, people should be able to make any list they want, assuming they're picking Americans.

I left Shaq off my list because he's too old and out of shape to be making a 3-year commitment to team USA, and because we dont need internal feuds with him and Kobe.

18to88
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I think they should get a few college players. Specifically Adam Morrison.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 09:18 PM
I think they should get a few college players. Specifically Adam Morrison.

SOme college players will be invited, for sure.

There will be a pool of 21 players invited, and then they will cut the list down to 12 for 2006 and again in 2008.

If we're serious about this for once, we don't need a college player.

GO!!!!!
01-11-2006, 09:18 PM
C Stoudamire/Howard
PF Garnett/Marion
SFLeBron/Anthony
SG Carter/ Kobe
PG Wade/Chris Paul

Super Subs

Bosh, Allen-Ray, O'neal, Bradley

Jaydawg2270
01-11-2006, 09:25 PM
They wont be college players once the games start

Hicks
01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd be interested in having 3 stars starting, 2 off the bench, and surrounding that with the best roleplayers possible.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
You can have stars that can be role-players too. The dream team had plenty of them.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
They wont be college players once the games start

They will still have not played an NBA game yet.

Okafor may have been a Bobcat in 2004, but he was still a college player. Being drafted doesnt give you any more big-time experience.

Rytas_Jega
01-12-2006, 05:50 AM
Now, my list given the criteria would be (assuming Kobe is the only "given"):

C: Amare (2nd choice: Brad Miller)
PF: K.G. (2nd choice: Rasheed Wallace)
SF: Lebron (2nd choice: Vince Carter)
SG: Kobe
PG: Billups (2nd choice: Sam Cassell)

Bench:

J.O. (2nd choice: Bosh)
Iverson (2nd choice: Chris Paul)
Wade (2nd choice: Jason Richardson)
Brand (2nd choice: Dwight Howard)
Hamilton (2nd choice: Ray Allen)
Redd (2nd choice: Rashard Lewis)
Bibby (2nd choice: Baron Davis)

If possible, I'd send Reggie Miller an invitation.

If A.Iverson plays I guess he'll be starting point guard and captain of the USA NT again.

Lithfan
01-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Do you really need all that to win Euro-defence???
:))))))))))))
So we are not so bad, you seem worried.
I think Hicks exaggerated number of stars (3 is too much and thats your problem).

t1hs0n
01-12-2006, 06:50 AM
1. Billups/Chris Paul
2. Kobe/Wade
3. Lebron/Artest
4. KG/Brand
5. Stoudamire/Howard

Subs: Al Harrington, Ray Allen

DG-33
01-12-2006, 06:51 AM
PG: Allen Iverson - Chris Paul - Baron Davis
SG: Kobe Bryant - Dwyane Wade - Paul Pierce
SF: LeBron James - Tracy McGrady - Shawn Marion
PF: Kevin Garnett - Chris Bosh - Elton Brand
C: Jermaine O'Neal - Amare Stoudemire - Greg Oden

No Artest, due to not needing him as a distraction. Center is the weakest position, due to playing 2 power forwards there and a (at the time) 20 year old. Can't include Ben Wallace because of his lack of an offensive game, plus it would be a great way to showcase the NBA's newest megastar.

DG-33
01-12-2006, 06:51 AM
PG: Allen Iverson - Chris Paul - Baron Davis
SG: Kobe Bryant - Dwyane Wade - Paul Pierce
SF: LeBron James - Tracy McGrady - Shawn Marion
PF: Kevin Garnett - Chris Bosh - Elton Brand
C: Jermaine O'Neal - Amare Stoudemire - Greg Oden

No Artest, due to not needing him as a distraction. Center is the weakest position, due to playing 2 power forwards there and a (at the time) 20 year old. Can't include Ben Wallace because of his lack of an offensive game, plus it would be a great way to showcase the NBA's newest megastar.