PDA

View Full Version : Quirky food habits/preferences

Kat
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
The "What Have you Eaten Today?" thread got me to thinking about this. What quirky food habits/preferences do you guys have?

If I have a glass of water, I will fill the glass up to nearly the top with ice before filling it with water. And I will eat the ice when finished.

I hate tomatoes by themselves or on sandwiches or in salads (but don't mind them anywhere else), pickles, and green olives (although I have had them on a pizza, which was pretty good). I'm not big on tacos.

I try to keep my food from touching on a plate (although it's not the end of the world if it does). I rotate my bites around the plate (as in one bite of this, one bite of that, etc.) and I try to have my last bite be of my favorite part of the meal.

I think that's all my weirdness.

McClintic Sphere
01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm really a sucker for anything pickled. I love pickled peppers (not scorching), pickled beets, or pickled cucumbers. I can sit down with a whole jar of pickled cucumber slices, shakers of salt and pepper and just go at it until its all consumed. I think it says something about my metabolic type, but I'm not sure what.
I'm with you on the tomatos. Love just about everything derived from them and can eat them in certain combinations, but alone the texture and aftertaste I find unappealing. Other than those and lima beans, I am an omnivore. And unlike you I have no problem with them all getting mixed up on my plate.

Stryder
01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
When I'm drinking milk (it has to be skim, I do not like anything other than skim), I have to have ice in the cup, or else I will not drink it.

Doritos and cottage cheese make a good combination in my book.

Tartar sauce and french fries are also a good combo.

I love diced onions on the top of my mashed potatoes. My dad taught me that when I was a kid, and I still do it.

I don't really like ketchup, but I do like tomatoes.

Kat
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
When I'm drinking milk (it has to be skim, I do not like anything other than skim), I have to have ice in the cup, or else I will not drink it.

Doritos and cottage cheese make a good combination in my book.

Tartar sauce and french fries are also a good combo.

I love diced onions on the top of my mashed potatoes. My dad taught me that when I was a kid, and I still do it.

I don't really like ketchup, but I do like tomatoes.

Okay, you're weird. :-p

sweabs
01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I always order red meat to be cooked "well-done".

I have a tendency to eat one food at a time on my plate, starting with my favourite and leaving the worst for last.

I don't like it when my foods are mixed together or overlapping on the plate.

Signs of someone with OCD? :-o

McClintic Sphere
01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Another strange combo that is surprisingly good mixed together: baked beans and cottage cheese.

Kat
01-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I always order red meat to be cooked "well-done".

I have a tendency to eat one food at a time on my plate, starting with my favourite and leaving the worst for last.

I don't like it when my foods are mixed together or overlapping on the plate.

Signs of someone with OCD? :-o

Why would you leave the worst for last? It leaves a bad, lingering taste in your mouth. Ick.

And if you're OCD, I must be too.

Kat
01-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Why is that quirky? I do the same thing because I don't like my meat mooing at me, and I never considered it weird.

Mooing at you?

If a rare steak ever mooed at me, I'd be very, very scared. :-p
(BTW, I usually order my meat well-done also.)

sweabs
01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Why is that quirky? I do the same thing because I don't like my meat mooing at me, and I never considered it weird.

That's interesting, because I've always been lead to believe that it's weird. Family/friends always criticize me for ordering my meat well done. And, I'm almost always the only person to get it done that way making me the outcast. I've heard every joke thrown my way, that I'm less "manly", or "paranoid", etc. but I agree with you - I don't like my meat mooing at me any more than I like drinking blood off the plate.

McClintic Sphere
01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
To be fair, cooking red meat to the point where it's well done introduces a number of carcenogens not present in a medium steak. But like you said, you don't have to follow up the meal with a nice refreshing plate of blood, either.

Cooking on a grill with charcoal ups the carcenogen level all the more. I do like to have the blood type tested first.

Stryder
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
That's interesting, because I've always been lead to believe that it's weird. Family/friends always criticize me for ordering my meat well done. And, I'm almost always the only person to get it done that way making me the outcast. I've heard every joke thrown my way, that I'm less "manly", or "paranoid", etc. but I agree with you - I don't like my meat mooing at me any more than I like drinking blood off the plate.

The red liquid that is present in a rare steak is NOT blood. It is the myoglobin (the primary oxygen carrying pigment of muscle) of the cow's muscle. Most people think that it is blood, but they are mistaken.

If it were blood, it would be hemoglobin.

sweabs
01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
The other problem with ordering your steak / red meat "well-done" in restaurants, is when the chef refuses to do so.

That's happened twice, and they should both STFU since I'm paying for the food.

Stryder
01-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Right.

But if you're revolted by red things oozing out of your meat, then try convincing yourself it isn't blood when it's sitting there on the plate.

Correct, but once I know what something is, I don't have a problem with it, but that's just me. It's not blood, so I'm ok. Haha.

Stryder
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Fair enough. I just don't really like red meat much to begin with, so red liquid stuff makes me icky.

My father hates anything rare; he HAS to have it cooked to a black crisp.

obnoxiousmodesty
01-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Let's see...

I like mustard and ketchup on about everything, including hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, and fries.

I think ketchup and steak go really well together. I've yet to find a steak sauce that I consider even mediocre.

I have to have my steaks well done. My whole family is that way. Oh, and I don't really consider steak to be all that special of a meal since my family butchers our own cattle, and we literally have two large cubic freezers full of beef (and pork, for that matter) all year round. It's a good thing.

When eating, I don't eat in any particular order nor do I care if my sides get mixed together. However, I do always save the last bite of the meal for my favorite thing on my plate.

If iced tea didn't exist, I would have died of dehydration by now.

Kat
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
If iced tea didn't exist, I would have died of dehydration by now.

:laugh:

You forgot to mention that you don't like peaches, pineapple, cantalope, honeydew melon, apricots, raisins, cherries, tangerines, plums, black olives, seafood, bagels, eggs... did I forget anything? You're the pickiest damn eater.... :grumble:

obnoxiousmodesty
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
:laugh:

You forgot to mention that you don't like peaches, pineapple, cantalope, honeydew melon, apricots, raisins, cherries, tangerines, plums, black olives, seafood, bagels, eggs... did I forget anything? You're the pickiest damn eater.... :grumble:

Oh, that too. Thanks for reminding me. :-p

Kat
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh, that too. Thanks for reminding me. :-p

No problem. :kiss:

Frank Slade
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Ok good question Kat..
similar to you in some aspects
no food touching if possible,
I do like to rotate each article of food, and eating the least favorite first and all that....

I cannot stand melty runny cheese on nachos but I do like to baked or microwave shredded cheese on them, as long as it's not runny ,it's all good. I do not like cheese on hamburgers at all .. yuck.. I do like grilled cheese though.

I detest most any white food substance,, Cottage, Cheese, Mayo, Sour Cream, Ranch Dressing, etc...

I cannot stand Chocolate Cake the taste or smell ( not a big sweet or cake person anyway , DQ Ice Cream Cakes only)

I must pour the milk out 2 days before it expires not matter how much is left.

Los Angeles
01-11-2006, 02:51 PM
My goodness. Well done steak is like boiled vegetables: terrible texture, ruined flavor and little upside. Why even bother to order a steak well done??? I'd rather eat rawhide.

You guys need to snap out of the midwest mindset and order something other than beef if you want something lean. There are other sources of protien on the planet. Try foul, game, or pan seared ocean fish. Your options will multiply, your health will improve, and your horizons will expand. You'll also save some cash at most restaurants.

And oh yeah, grilled chicken is no better than well done steak. It's just about the worst possible way to cook a bird, and is the primary reason folks from the heartland don't like poultry, and get heart disease from eating too much beef.

[/food snob]

McClintic Sphere
01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
My goodness. Well done steak is like boiled vegetables: terrible texture, ruined flavor and little upside. Why even bother to order a steak well done??? I'd rather eat rawhide.

You guys need to snap out of the midwest mindset and order something other than beef if you want something lean. There are other sources of protien on the planet. Try foul, game, or pan seared ocean fish. Your options will multiply, your health will improve, and your horizons will expand. You'll also save some cash at most restaurants.

And oh yeah, grilled chicken is no better than well done steak. It's just about the worst possible way to cook a bird, and is the primary reason folks from the heartland don't like poultry, and get heart disease from eating too much beef.

[/food snob]

I agree with you on the beef issue. Although, I eat it at times, when offered, it is way down on my list of meat choices. Bison and venison are very good, IMO.
Unfortunately, you have to pay through the nose here for fresh seafood. Last time I was in Key West, I ordered a combo platter of fresh seafood and my taste buds were afire with the difference fresh caught fish made. I'm not familiar with pan searing, can you elaborate, please?

The Toxic Avenger
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty much the garbage disposal of all my friends because thats how all of my family is. I'll drink "old" milk because the date on the carton/jug is the SELL BY date not the expriration date... If it smells good it IS good.

But there are some foods I don't like. Now that doesn't mean that I wont eat them just that they rank low on my food list. I don't really care for steak or Steak Sauce (see Obnox Mod post) but I'll eat them. Anything that is burnt is going to taste like crap so I don't know why steak would be any different.

Don't care for Ice tea unless is it chock full of sugar, which isn't any better than drinking Kool-aid or Dr. Pepper, and I think all of those crazy flavors taste like crap.

Love sushi!

I like most anything BBQ, Buffalo Wings, Ethinic Foods, American classics.

Hicks
01-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I use ketchup with steak, and with turkey (when it's cut from an entire bird, not the deli stuff from the grocery that's thin or chipped; that's when it's all about the miracle whip).

Stryder
01-11-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty much the garbage disposal of all my friends because thats how all of my family is. I'll drink "old" milk because the date on the carton/jug is the SELL BY date not the expriration date... If it smells good it IS good.

But there are some foods I don't like. Now that doesn't mean that I wont eat them just that they rank low on my food list. I don't really care for steak or Steak Sauce (see Obnox Mod post) but I'll eat them. Anything that is burnt is going to taste like crap so I don't know why steak would be any different.

Don't care for Ice tea unless is it chock full of sugar, which isn't any better than drinking Kool-aid or Dr. Pepper, and I think all of those crazy flavors taste like crap.

Love sushi!

I like most anything BBQ, Buffalo Wings, Ethinic Foods, American classics.

Yes, most milks are still good for up to a week after expiration of the Sell By date.

Unclebuck
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I hate Ketchup, Mustard, and Maynaise, it all makes my skin crawl

Most things people put ketchup on I put barbecue sauce on.

Since86
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I hate tomatos on/in everything but chili or something to that effect.

Pickles, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, and peppers are all no-nos, and I can taste them every time.

Steak is either medium rare, or just medium.

I mix ketchup and BBQ sauce, or ketchup and mayo, for fries.

I also eat pizza with ranch dressing, unless it's gourmet wings from Greeks here on campus or BBQ chicken from Papa John's. Taco salad with ranch dressing is a must as well.

I tend to mix a lot of foods, which grosses out my gf but if I like one taste and another, then they usually taste good together. When I was younger I used to mix honey nut cheerios and frosted flakes.

Hmmm, hate mustard but love honey mustard on my chicken from Arbys.

I too eat cottage cheese with my baked beans.

I won't drink Sierra Mist/Sprite from cans, nor beer from a plastic bottle Coors!

Pig Nash
01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I hate Ketchup, Mustard, and Maynaise, it all makes my skin crawl

Most things people put ketchup on I put barbecue sauce on.

Word for word. Unclebuck is my madd doggy.

I also don't like salad or dressing (when it's not marinade) or raw vegetables in general. I don't like tomatoes by themselves or on sandwiches but love salsa, tomato sauce, etc. I also don't like sour cream or cottage cheese. I like my steak medium rare. Well done steak tastes disgusting. I love fish and when I went to England I was in heaven. I get it from my dad who is a native of the mother country. I love broccoli, asparagus, and green beans. I also eat one thing at a time, starting with the vegetables, then the side, and then the meat. Because the meat stays the warmest the longest because it is big. Lettuce is like eating grass. That's about it. Other than that I'll eat anything.

SoupIsGood
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I love Tuna

GetOdom
01-11-2006, 07:25 PM
^ Mmmmm Tunnnna! Me Likey.

8.9_seconds
01-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I put Ketchup on my macaroni, sounds gross, but it's delicious.

I also fill my water all the way to the top with ice first and eat it.

I Love Bacon Sandwiches with the bacon right out on the pan on a piece of bread dipped in ketchup.

I love the watery taste of cauliflauer, and it has to be cold.

My pineapple has to be almost frozen.

I only eat chilled oranges.

When I eat a 3 musketeers bar or Milky way, I eat all the chocolate off first, then the rest.

I mix my turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, and turkey gravy all together, or I nix the gravy and put it all on a dinner roll.

When I ea a salad Like to crunch crackers on my salad, or scoop it up like a fork with crackers.

Los Angeles
01-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks, food snob!

I guess I must have written somewhere that all I eat is cow hide.

In reality, the last time I had red meat was likely a couple years ago.

Oh, and have you ever orderd pan seared ocean fish aroud Indiana? Fish ain't to fresh tastin' when it gets therrrrrr.

Jerkass. :tongue:
:D

OK, I'll give you a feebie: when I was a kid, I liked bologna, american cheese and ketchup on white bread.

obnoxiousmodesty
01-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I find all the discussion about well-done steak to be most interesting. Surely everyone is aware that you can cook a steak well-done and still preserve the flavor, juiciness, and tenderness. At least, I can, anyway.

However, I will say my favorite cut of steak is round steak, which traditionally is the toughest steak you'll find. When it comes to red meat, I'm not picky in the slightest.

Natston
01-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I like peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes.

I like to mix mustard and mayo on my lunchmeat sandwiches.

I like banana peppers and pineapple on my pizza for a sweet and sour taste.

I like my steaks medium rare and I like to take a roll or piece of bread and mop up the red liquid and then eat the bread/roll.

I don't really care for ketchup except for the kind that is mixed with Tabasco sauce.

I like to eat my canned pasta rings cold and mixed with Tabasco sauce.

I like to eat the worst items off the plate first and then leave the best thing for "dessert".

Natston
01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
As a youngin' I used to mix applesauce and cottage cheese. Also I would drain out the water when I made Ramen noodles and just mix in the seasoning dry with the noodles and use that as a sandwich filler...

pacerwaala
01-12-2006, 12:50 AM
If I could afford it, I will have sushi and udon (Japanese noodles) for all my meals, and I am not Japanese.

abington
01-12-2006, 01:12 AM
i like flat and warm diet pepsi and diet dew.
i eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon.
i eat whey protein powder out of the jar with a spoon.
weird enough?

sweabs
01-12-2006, 01:13 AM
i eat whey protein powder out of the jar with a spoon.
weird enough?

Um...yes. Considering Whey tastes gross enough when you make it properly.

I hate drinking my whey.

8.9_seconds
01-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I love Tuna

I love Tuna, too; though, it has to be cold when I eat it plain.

Are you a fan of Tuna Noodle Casserole? It's probably in my top 5. I'm not sure if there's a unviersal recipe for it, butI always make mine with a cream of mushroom and cream of chicken, egg noodles, a can of chicken, can of tuna. Then I put peas on top of it. I love it, i could eat it every day.

SoupIsGood
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
I love Tuna, too; though, it has to be cold when I eat it plain.

Are you a fan of Tuna Noodle Casserole? It's probably in my top 5. I'm not sure if there's a unviersal recipe for it, butI always make mine with a cream of mushroom and cream of chicken, egg noodles, a can of chicken, can of tuna. Then I put peas on top of it. I love it, i could eat it every day.

I eat something similar. More peas though, no chicken.

I could also it every day. Although I feel that way with just about anything Tuna though. However the casserole is amazing.

Unclebuck
01-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't want to "out" anyone from the forum party, because what goes on at the party should stay there. But someone eats grape jam straight.

Hicks
01-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I forgot about that, but yes that's true.

Shade
01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I eat food...

...get this...

...with my MOUTH! :eek: :runout: :crazy:

Sorry if anyone ran out of the room in disgust. :(

Shade
01-12-2006, 10:15 PM
HAHA.

"What happens at the forum party, STAYS at the forum party"

Like Fight Club?

Pig Nash
01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Like Fight Club?

or Vegas.

Suaveness
01-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I feel odd, I don't do anything quirky at all.

Raskolnikov
01-13-2006, 03:03 AM
I guess this man also has some quirky food habits/preferences :

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-creo1.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-creo2.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-vomit.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-clean.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-wafer.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-creo3.jpg

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/life/vi-explo.jpg

The website : http://www.intriguing.com/mp/

Natston
01-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Monty Python's Meaning of Life...

Raskolnikov
01-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Monty Python's Meaning of Life...
:cookie:

beaversnducks311
01-13-2006, 12:02 PM
i love sushi!

i also like to eat peanut butter. all the time. it doesn't usually matter if it is on something or by itself. i prefer JIF extra crunchy. i also like miracle whip. i put it on numerous things i eat, and can use it as a dip for almost any food.

Stryder
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
...baby...

Mmmm...french fried baby...tasty...

Shade
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Sushi is disgusting. I tried it TWICE to make sure I ws right in that thought and everyone else was wrong.

:puke: