PDA

View Full Version : A thought to ponder: What happens when Damon Jones is voted into the all-star game?

Kstat
01-11-2006, 02:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2286622

CLEVELAND -- Damon Jones doesn't know much about China or the country's emergence as an economic superpower.

"I know one thing, though," the Cavaliers guard said. "I'm global."

Jones became the first NBA player to sign an endorsement contract Monday with Li-Ning, the largest China-based sports apparel maker, which one day hopes to challenge athletic shoe giants Nike and adidas.

Li-Ning, which signed a marketing agreement with the NBA last year, will begin selling shoes endorsed by Jones in its 2,500 stores in every province of China. The company has no immediate plans to sell the shoes, which retail for around $45 in China, in the U.S.

However, with Jones on board, Li-Ning hopes to tap into pro basketball's growing popularity in China and add more NBA players to promote its products.

The outgoing Jones, whose bubbly personality makes him a natural salesman, is excited about the opportunity to grow with Li-Ning, which was founded in 1990 by former Chinese star gymnast, Li Ning.

He wore the Li-Ning shoes, whose design includes Oriental themes, for the first time in a game in November, and said he has gotten positive feedback on the look from both Cleveland teammates and opponents.

"It's a great shoe," said Jones, who'll visit China for the first time this summer. "I'm looking forward to going there. I've talked to LeBron [James], and he said it's an amazing place."

Li-Ning has launched an ad campaign in China for the shoes, using the slogan "Anything Is Possible." Jones didn't miss a chance to use it during a news conference at the Ritz-Carlton.

Asked if he could outsell James, who endorses Nike, in China, Jones smiled and said, "Anything is possible" in Chinese.

Later, Jones revealed that he had the expression written phonetically on the back of his name placard on the dais.

"I didn't need it," he said. "I've been practicing for six days."

DisplacedKnick
01-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Damon Jones in the all-star game? There ought to be a law.

Of course he IS the greatest shooter in the NBA. Just ask him. And never mind those pesky stats.

Kstat
01-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Damon Jones in the all-star game? There ought to be a law.

Of course he IS the greatest shooter in the NBA. Just ask him. And never mind those pesky stats.

He's the first American endorsing a chinese-made shoe to the Chinese.

They're going to vote him in. It's just a matter of when. If David Wesley can get half a million votes just by being Yao Ming's teamate, Damon Jones can get 2 million for selling chinese shoes.

PacerNthaDesert
01-11-2006, 02:51 AM
I won't watch an All Star game with him in it, I'm serious. Hopefully that will end fan voting.

GetOdom
01-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Damon Jones can be in the donkey all-star game cause he looks like a donkey with his facial expressions everytime.

rexnom
01-11-2006, 03:28 AM
If Damon Jones gets voted into the all-star game so be it. It's a fan's game. I think it's more of a crime when Grant Hill got voted in and he didn't even play a single game. Regardless, it's a fan's vote and it shall remain a fan's vote. The fan's don't vote who gets to be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all-nba for a reason. Do you really think all-star is as great of an honor as all-nba honors? Pau Gasol may never be an all-star simply because he is playing as a forward in a conference with forwards Dirk Nowitzki, KG, TD, and T-Mac. He can't beat them out, even if he does have an all-nba season. And that wouldn't be the fans' fault. Meanwhile Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a two time all-star. Go figure.

sweabs
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Meh...who watches the All-Star game anyway?

Hicks
01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
In a way I hope it happens. This is the kind of thing that might convince the NBA to give the fans less of a voice in choosing the all-stars. I know people like to remind me that it's "for the fans anyway", but at the same time all-star status is used as one of the measuring sticks of achievement for an NBA player, and eliminating the fan-factor would give it more credibility.

Ragnar
01-11-2006, 11:04 AM
If you really want to get the right people on the all star game and you want actuall fans (you know people who actually follow the sport and not just through sports center and sprite comercials)

Keep voting at games, Give all league pass subscribers a code that they can enter on a website and give them a vote.

I would still allow the internet and shoe store votes I would just count them as 1/8th of a vote.

Sort of how the North prevented the slave owning south from getting more votes in what is now a completely mis-understood move.

Jermaniac
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Damon Jones is horrible, does NOTHING but chuck up 3's. If he makes the all star game I wont watch it.

CableKC
01-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm confused....what does the article have to do with Damon Jones getting voted into the ASG?

or

Is the title just a complete "Random thought"?

Hicks
01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
The idea is that if China becomes infatuated with Jones, they may start voting for him en masse for the all-star game because of his increased popularity there. China has a lot of people, so that will stuff the vote box on the internet.

Fool
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Sort of how the North prevented the slave owning south from getting more votes in what is now a completely mis-understood move.

You think its completely misunderstood? Maybe by the masses who never have to put it into context and just see it as a denegrating statement about black people. But I assume the majority with an actual interest in the subject(intellectually, financially, or otherwise) understand it was (in part) a safeguard against ballot stuffing.

lurks-a-lot
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Honestly I don't know if this is a bit off base and a bit out there but personally I don't like the idea of an American endorsing products for China. Although China is emerging as a country on the rise and is improving conditions and treatment there I still dislike the idea of Americans endorsing products over there.

Diamond Dave
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Honestly I don't know if this is a bit off base and a bit out there but personally I don't like the idea of an American endorsing products for China. Although China is emerging as a country on the rise and is improving conditions and treatment there I still dislike the idea of Americans endorsing products over there.

Agreed.

But I don't like the idea of an American citizen being told that they can't do that.

Tough call for me. Don't want Jones to do it because they are communist, but don't want to tell Jones he can't because that would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

Kegboy
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Meh...who watches the All-Star game anyway?

Exactly.